Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Jazerus posted:

Gothic is a Germanic culture, no swapping is necessary.

Isn't it a Byzantine culture along with Greek, Pontic, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

So wait, Gothic being a Germanic culture means with the next patch Theodoric can become the Germanic cultural union.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure Gothic was in the greek culture group and not germanic but i have never played theodoro so i may be misremembering

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
No you are not misremembering gothic is part of the greek and not the german culture group.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Just a reminder that http://www.eu4wiki.com/ exists and can be used to answer a whole lot of little questions relatively well.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sorry. Seems like it would make sense but it's been forever since I've played Theodoro.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

What are people's favorite Muscovy -> Russia Ideas?

I've taken Admin, Religious, and Defensive. I'm between Diplomacy and Quality for the next set, leaning toward Diplomacy. The 5th will definitely be Expansion. I've also considered Trade and Influence. Influence seems the least useful only because at this point I've been doing a lot less diploannexing. The cash from Trade would be nice, but I'm worried it might be wasted on my relatively weak tradeskills?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

JerikTelorian posted:

What are people's favorite Muscovy -> Russia Ideas?

I've taken Admin, Religious, and Defensive. I'm between Diplomacy and Quality for the next set, leaning toward Diplomacy. The 5th will definitely be Expansion. I've also considered Trade and Influence. Influence seems the least useful only because at this point I've been doing a lot less diploannexing. The cash from Trade would be nice, but I'm worried it might be wasted on my relatively weak tradeskills?

I feel like your problem as Russia isn't weak trade skills, it's that all the lucrative trade routes really can't get directed to you in any meaningful way. All those extra merchants and trade efficiency can't change the fact that you're way off the beaten path.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Palleon posted:

I feel like your problem as Russia isn't weak trade skills, it's that all the lucrative trade routes really can't get directed to you in any meaningful way. All those extra merchants and trade efficiency can't change the fact that you're way off the beaten path.

Yeah, this is better stated. With three merchants I can complete the path across Siberia, but with 4, I'm not really sure where to put the last one (Kiev probably, but he won't be terribly useful there).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You only need two merchants to steer from Manchu to Novgorod, because the Kazan node only leads to Novgorod.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is silly.

e: Rzhev wasn't all that close, but it satisfied the fort requirement at least. Though I'm definitely wishing Pskov was sufficient, I hate sieging Russia.

feller fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 24, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Those are a bunch of garbage provinces that they could take back in 12 months, and the AI correctly doesn't give a poo poo if you occupy them. You need to siege some forts.

Not what I thought you were getting at. But yeah, you have to demonstrate some ability to take their forts.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Those are a bunch of garbage provinces that they could take back in 12 months, and the AI correctly doesn't give a poo poo if you occupy them. You need to siege some forts.

Not what I thought you were getting at. But yeah, you have to demonstrate some ability to take their forts.

Garbage land or no (yes), a nice orderly front is paramount

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Finished my first Ironman campaign - actually the first EU4 campaign I've played to the end at all, really.

Elsass and Dutch Pomerania are my client states - just finished diploannexing Petersburg with about a year left to go. I kept Switzerland around because they were my cute Reformed little brother ally. I could probably have taken even more land but the last century or so was kind of a slog so I picked some achievements to get (Master of India, No Pirates in my Caribbean, All Your Trade are Belong to Us, The Grand Armada, Ruina Imperii) and called it a day.

I started out as Holland, allied France and (IIRC) Austria, got my independence and one province, ditched Austria but stayed friends with France well into the 1600's. Converted to Reformed because Scotland had a CoR that kept trying to flip me. The Burgundian inheritance never fired so I picked off their provinces over the course of a hundred years or so. When they were down to one province I vassalized them and re-conquered their cores from Lorraine, ending up with some impressive border gore stretching down halfway to the Mediterranean.

This is the oldest screenshot I got from this campaign:

Scotland got into a PU with Sweden and kicked England's butt. I eventually vassalized both of them.

Took exploration second, got to the West Indies, formed some nations, then spent most of the 1600's leaving Europe to its own devices while I conquered a bunch of important trade ports between the English Channel and Malacca. I got to Cape first and also got the first circumnavigation, spammed literally a hundred light ships at Ivory Coast, took the Spice Islands and made big bucks. France ditched me in the late 1600's when I diploannexed England because they wanted my provinces, but at that point I had basically already won the game.

The Dutch special government form is stupidly good by the way. I took Humanism but it might have been overkill, the Dutch ideas and events give you tons of tolerance for heathens and heretics anyway.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 24, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The main Problem with Theodoro -> East Frisia is coring range, otherwise it wouldn't be too hard to pull off.
Sadly none of the southern provinces with Germanic culture are viable targets, mostly because they belong to Austria. The only possible way would be if Austria was forced for release some nations which is highly unlikely early game.

Guess I'll just keep playing my current attempt where I own the Balkans, Crimea, Venice and have Byzantium with all its cores as a vassal, thank you Muscowy for being such good pals.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
dev multiplayer again right now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

New video dev diary too: https://youtu.be/x2b0LrD96l8

Not anything new though, just Wiz talking about the stuff we've seen.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 24, 2015

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
austria the traitor

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I'm not sure which Paradox thread to ask this in, but I'm planning on forming the Arabian Empire in CKII and then continuing in EUIV. The only problem is I'm Jewish and my main kingdom is Israel, and so I'd like the Israeli national ideas instead of the Arabian ones I assume I'll get. When I export the game as a mod, do I open it up in a text editor and change the country tag or something so I get the right ideas, or do I need to do more?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Gyre posted:

I'm not sure which Paradox thread to ask this in, but I'm planning on forming the Arabian Empire in CKII and then continuing in EUIV. The only problem is I'm Jewish and my main kingdom is Israel, and so I'd like the Israeli national ideas instead of the Arabian ones I assume I'll get. When I export the game as a mod, do I open it up in a text editor and change the country tag or something so I get the right ideas, or do I need to do more?

You're going to need to edit the mod that's created when you export your game from CK2, so basically create whatever you want. I'm afraid I've never bothered to do the required mod editing myself, so I can't help you too much there.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I haven't done it either, but there ought to be a 01_country_ideas (or something like that) file in common/ideas. Find your country in that, then exchange the ideas it has for Israeli ones.

From what I hear unfortunately, what the converter gives you will need a fair bit of tinkering if you want to play in a world that isn't broken as heck, so you'll probably have to get a bit used to modding. Fortunately it's insanely easy, and all you need is a text editor yeah.

e: in other news, pretty gamechanging- ships can't block straights if the enemy controls both sides of the land.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 24, 2015

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Yeah, it's all fairly intuitive, and the eu4wiki modding section is helpful for the stuff that isn't. Get Notepad++ so you can find & replace stuff easier.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Koramei posted:

e: in other news, pretty gamechanging- ships can't block straights if the enemy controls both sides of the land.

That seems like a major change to Sweden starts, since you can't easily block Denmark's troops while chomping on Norway.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Koramei posted:

How will that work for the Bosphorus, with its two sets of straits in the single sea zone?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Koramei posted:

Woah, woah, woah. So does that mean that If I am trying to block the Ottomans from crossing the Bosphorus, I have to control at least one of the provinces on either side? I am assuming having it sieged counts?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Soup du Jour posted:

How will that work for the Bosphorus, with its two sets of straits in the single sea zone?

It's one sea zone but two straits. The sea province itself wouldn't matter for the crossing, just the land provinces.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Not sure how I feel about that change. Don't think the Ottomans needed a buff or galleys needed a nerf.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Koramei posted:

:stonk:

RIP minors fighting the Ottomans.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Byz getting harder and harder. Wonder how many people are crying now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
tears of joy

az
Dec 2, 2005

I haven't played eu in about a year, are there any mods that are considered really great/necessary at the moment?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

az posted:

I haven't played eu in about a year, are there any mods that are considered really great/necessary at the moment?

Not really, the base game is very good on its own. As far as DLC goes, Art of War and Common Sense are the important ones, along with (probably) the upcoming Cossacks expansion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

They should take it one step further and make it so that controlling both sides of a strait blocks naval movement for anyone without naval access :unsmigghh:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

az posted:

UI stuff: better UI 1.13 (bigger font, bigger diplomacy screen), Mapmodebuttons (displays map buttons in a row on the bottom screen), thick borders and darker water, and the TBADW add on that changes country names to a white font.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

They should take it one step further and make it so that controlling both sides of a strait blocks naval movement for anyone without naval access :unsmigghh:

Yeah, that would be very nice.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

az posted:

dei gratia and typus orbis terrarum are worth checking out. dei gratia massively overhauls religion with all sorts of events and features like religious minorities in provinces, while typus changes the map projection to one that's more accurate and way better looking without changing or adding any provinces. if you're looking for something like EU3+, there's really not much that's been made like that at all for EU4 yet

double nine posted:

UI stuff: better UI 1.13 (bigger font, bigger diplomacy screen), Mapmodebuttons (displays map buttons in a row on the bottom screen), thick borders and darker water, and the TBADW add on that changes country names to a white font.

also this stuff

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
EU4 is pretty close to being too good to need a mod to make it into a straight up better game a la EU3+

I mean immersion / grognard mods to add more depth and poo poo are fine but EU3 vanilla wasn't even vaguely near as much fun as EU4 is

The map and UI mods own though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I wouldn't get reliant on a UI mod right now, there's a big patch coming in just a week that'll overhaul a bunch of it. The map mode buttons especially won't be necessary.

Also worth waiting if you want to get some expansions, since they'll almost certainly go on sale.

az
Dec 2, 2005

^^^^^What's in the next patch?

Thanks guys.

ThePutty posted:

dei gratia and typus orbis terrarum are worth checking out. dei gratia massively overhauls religion with all sorts of events and features like religious minorities in provinces, while typus changes the map projection to one that's more accurate and way better looking without changing or adding any provinces. if you're looking for something like EU3+, there's really not much that's been made like that at all for EU4 yet

also this stuff

I looked at dei gratia earlier but the amount of changes and features listed on the workshop made me think it may be one of those mods that tries to do wayyyy too much and breaks the flow of the basegame. Especially all those different religions, I think I had flashbacks of the hussite revolts and entire countries drowning in pissy religious sect rebels, but I'll give it another look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

az posted:

^^^^^What's in the next patch?

Thanks guys.

I looked at dei gratia earlier but the amount of changes and features listed on the workshop made me think it may be one of those mods that tries to do wayyyy too much and breaks the flow of the basegame. Especially all those different religions, I think I had flashbacks of the hussite revolts and entire countries drowning in pissy religious sect rebels, but I'll give it another look.

it's worth a try at the very least, it does add a hell of a lot but the creator doesn't seem too in over their head with it. i haven't really played a vanilla game in ages though so i can't really give you a great comparison of the differences

• Locked thread