Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
man that online encyclopedia was really cool to have with todays big ddos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Soup du Journey posted:

man that online encyclopedia was really cool to have with todays big ddos

the terrorists are winning :negative:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Radious Mods are dead for now by the way if anyone was using them (you probably shouldn't be anyway)

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Anyone have any recommendations for YT channels that do post-game commentary for multiplayer? I used to follow Indrid for Dawn of War 2's Elite Mod multi and he covered a handful of Total War: Warhammer matches but stopped.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Kainser posted:

Radious Mods are dead for now by the way if anyone was using them (you probably shouldn't be anyway)

Technically not. He already has fans who are going to update it for each new patch.

You still shouldn't really be using it, at least not as a blind download like a lot of people seem want to do.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm really not a fan of how the new DLC adds two new, fairly exciting starting positions for the Dwarfs and Greenskins but then immediately heavily incentivizes the player to go back to the boring old badlands :effort:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Doing Wurzag now, Normal difficulty. He's pretty darn fun. Just gotta reach critical-attack levels with 'Ere We Go, and you'll roll through enemy infantry. Granted yeah you're gonna take casualties, but still.

Also using a secondary warboss with conventional Orc/Big' Un buffs as a failsafe in case Operation: infinite Loincloths fails. So far though I've gotten the entire Badlands, the Dwarf Capital (always a great idea to get it for those mines, after all), and have the Border Princess afraid to come say hello to their new neighbor :getin:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Walked into a GW shop today to try and get the White Dwarf, turns out it'll cost me $15AUD (approx. $4.35 USD) and they don't have it until next week. And won't take preorders until tomorrow.

Truly the darkest continent.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just wait for it to come out on it's own so gee dubs marketing ploy fails miserably

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Thanqol posted:

Walked into a GW shop today to try and get the White Dwarf, turns out it'll cost me $15AUD (approx. $4.35 USD) and they don't have it until next week. And won't take preorders until tomorrow.

Truly the darkest continent.

For just the code or are they making you buy the magazine?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm really curious how the contract between Sega and GW looks when GW can force them to do stuff like this.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kainser posted:

I'm really curious how the contract between Sega and GW looks when GW can force them to do stuff like this.

???

Exclusive bonuses offered for a game via codes only accessible through certain sources are hardly a unique or original concept, so not sure where this thing in the contract about GW somehow forcing SEGA to do something comes from. The most unusual thing at all about this is that he'll be available for free at some point next year at all.

And the code cards themselves aren't available until the 28th regardless, or aren't supposed to be, so complaining you can't get it RIGHT NOW is incredibly silly. They're also limited stock (with the specific amount a big ???) so only some people are going to get the lord for free right now anyways - everyone else will need to just wait.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Can you just order the magazine online? Is it in Barnes and Noble?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The End Times are getting zanier with each new DLC. The Empire realms really turn into France from Medieval 2 where everything becomes a massive clusterfuck. It's hilarious watching a half dozen goblin archer units take down Sarthoreal.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can you just order the magazine online? Is it in Barnes and Noble?

It's not in Barnes & Noble and I swear it was confirmed on one of the forums I read about this game that it won't be in the digital WD.

If you mean order it to be shipped online I dunno, I just asked for a comic book store to order it for me.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Man Skarsnik is a real motherfucker at the start. Get my first army built up and siege the 17 card stack in that next dwarf city over, his 17 to my 20 is overwhelmingly against my favor, so I set up a siege and just wait him out. This is probably turn 5 or 6. Come turn 15 or so they've taken a round or two of attrition from the siege when suddenly Belegar shows up with a 20 stack including 5-6 longbeards close enough to know he's coming for me but far enough away that he can't assist. When I see this, I panic and start a new army in my home city, but I know it'll be too late to save Skarsnik's army. I make a choice: I bring the siege to a head and start the battle.

Even with their enemy garrison having taken like 40% damage I'm still rocking goblins so they take a fair number of casualties. I get decisive victory, but damage enough to compromise me, I'm down to 18 cards in the army and some of them are at 1/2 to 2/3rds strength.

Hit end turn and then Belegar turns around and sets up siege on my freshly captured capital rather than attacking outright. This gives me a couple of rounds to build up my secondary army, recruit the first two regiments of renown on them, and bounce them over to reinforce my 30 cards vs his 20, Skarsnik is level 3 and doesn't have poison yet. Autoresolve odds give it 50/50.

What happened afterward was the most unbelievable meatgrinder battle I've ever seen in the game. My gobbos were breaking and running at 50% health and because he had so many longbeards I had to slay every stunty to the man to actually break them. I set the sneaky stabbers on a wide flank and brought them in on one of the flanks and set my wolf cav to come around the flank of the flank attack and break them that way. By the time the enemy had finally broke my whole army was basically a house of cards about to fall had the fight gone on any longer. Time to sic the dogs on the fleers

Belegar had brough something like 1200-1400 dwarves and left the fight with 8. RoR Wolf riders had something like 200 kills, Wolf archers had 180, Arachnarok had 160, and my 4-5 cards of sneaky stabbers between both armies would have anywhere between 80-150 kills each. I had lost about half my force but it was soaked relatively evenly though my army so I didn't lose any more cards, so it shouldn't take me long to recoup.

This loving game.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
What's a Skarsnik who doesn't have Eight peaks supposed to do about an army with 7 giants. I mean apart from 8 giants of my own (trying to play without so much giant/spider spam this game) or play a bit of an attrition game where I focus everything on killing 1 or 2 giants per siege every time they come after my cities.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Playing Wurzag some more, his weakness is definitely being a one-army wonder. He's a really powerful and fun leader who can easily build a cheap loincloth power stack, but pretty much none of those bonuses apply to his second+ army. Having a weakish economy and mediocre generals makes transitioning to a decent mid game tougher than I expected, though it feels kinda appropriate for him.

I think if I start a new campaign I'll be really tempted to gently caress off somewhere else and not sweat his starting province too much though, it's just too much of a pain in the rear end to defend all those spread-out settlements, especially after the dwarves confederated Belegar and started sending a non-stop conga line of dwarf armies stacked with RoR units.

Think I'll try out Skarsnik and go full gobbo first though.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

What's a Skarsnik who doesn't have Eight peaks supposed to do about an army with 7 giants. I mean apart from 8 giants of my own (trying to play without so much giant/spider spam this game) or play a bit of an attrition game where I focus everything on killing 1 or 2 giants per siege every time they come after my cities.

Kite them to death with mounted archers, even lovely goblin archers should be able to hit and damage those armorless sacks of hp.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Demiurge4 posted:

For just the code or are they making you buy the magazine?

They're making me buy the magazine.

So I just had a Belegar run today and it was really fun and challenging - I love the direction this DLC pushed the game in. The early part of the game was incredibly suspenseful because of the money limitations.

I managed to make a power-play by confederating the dwarves, which got me Thorgrim in an incredibly precarious position. I ran him to Karaz-a-Karak and slammed the door shut and left him there with half a stack. The greenskins started sending the majority of their forces there to siege him out which gave me an opportunity to dash across the badlands and grab Karak Eight Peaks. Then it was a case of slowly muscling my way out of the corner I'd been boxed into - which was great because it meant I had just finished capturing the badlands when the end times triggered. So now I have to consolidate while pushing across the map and switching to anti-chaos armies.

Those ethereal heroes do not gently caress around - but holy poo poo do they die fast to magic damage. Grimgor takes out the runelord in four hits. I also really appreciate the way Regiments of Renown show up now, they really add teeth to an AI that's on the back foot.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Thanqol posted:

Those ethereal heroes do not gently caress around - but holy poo poo do they die fast to magic damage. Grimgor takes out the runelord in four hits. I also really appreciate the way Regiments of Renown show up now, they really add teeth to an AI that's on the back foot.

Want to do something fun? Give one of the ethereal heroes a luckstone, It will boost their physical resistance from 80% to 90%. Yes, that means they take half of the already small damage they were taking, assuming it isn't against magic damage, and also assuming I haven't made a mistake of some sort like it not actually stacking like that.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stephen9001 posted:

Want to do something fun? Give one of the ethereal heroes a luckstone, It will boost their physical resistance from 80% to 90%. Yes, that means they take half of the already small damage they were taking, assuming it isn't against magic damage, and also assuming I haven't made a mistake of some sort like it not actually stacking like that.

I think 80% is the cap for damage reduction, you'd probably be better off with a magic reduction stone for them.

I view the ghostdads like this: I wouldn't put them in an army unless you really had to because for all their strength in the damage rduction they have, they will crumple like a wet paper bag vs any magic damage. Keep them on the overworld because they literally cannot be assassinated and your two free thanes can be used to start rebellions or shore up your own regions, and your runepriest can give you a growth boost. Save your actual non gostdad heroes for your armies.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 22, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

DeathSandwich posted:

I think 80% is the cap for damage reduction, you'd probably be better off with a magic reduction stone for them.

I view the ghostdads like this: I wouldn't put them in an army unless you really had to because for all their strength in the damage rduction they have, they will crumple like a wet paper bag vs any magic damage. Keep them on the overworld because they literally cannot be assassinated and your two free thanes can be used to start rebellions or shore up your own regions, and your runepriest can give you a growth boost. Save your actual non gostdad heroes for your armies.

That's the way to do it once you actually have access to other heroes, but that takes a long time - remember that the ancestor ghosts count towards the capacity cap, so you'll need several highly-developed provinces before you can get non-ghost heroes. And aside from certain lords, you're unlikely to face much magic damage in the early-to-mid-game period. The ghost heroes were integral to taking Karak Eight Peaks and the battles that followed, for me - I still have 3 of them in Belegar's army.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Even then by the time you have access to normal heroes it'll be painful to go back to low level ones from your ghostly juggernauts.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I had some huge issues with public order in my playthrouh since I didn't realize retaking eight peaks was a normal grudge and would get worse. Those ghost thanes were great for purging the goblins early on but later were absolutely key in allowing me to stop chasing rebellions and actually retake the ancestral hold.

On my playthrouh I've just managed to retake Karak Eight-Peaks and the surrounding area so I've had a good chance to test some of the new units. I wasn't a fan of the crossbow rangers early on but they've really grown on me, especially with a few techs and lord bonuses. Being able to easily get some rear shots into a big brawl has let me pull off some clutch victories. They've also been great for killing off greenskin ranged units that I'd otherwise have to focus with quarrellers repeatedly as they break and run out of range constantly. I've only tried the ROR version of the melee rangers so far but they seemed really strong the one time I really needed them. I rushed them straight up a castle wall at the Ork ROR black Orks and between their debuff on top of Belegar's melee debuff they cleared that wall off really fast.

The other ROR have been equally strong for me. The Longbeards with two handers get a vigor refresh passive and can just keep killing and killing and killing without getting tired. They were my shock troops in the battle for Eight Peaks and netted several hundred kills by themselves as I pushed through the gate.

Overall a really strong DLC so far. This playthrough has been very different than the normal Dwarves and is making the badlands feel fresh. Hopefully they keep up this quality with future releases.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

skarsnik on legendary has been very difficult for me. once you're done fighting karak norn, one of the other dwarves will usually jump on you (esp belegar). you really really need that spider skarsnik starts with since the dwarves you start by can't really kill it - I use it to tank half their army at once.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Work has been full-tilt the past couple days so I'm sorry for dropping off the tourney's radar, but it's been great unwinding with the Grand Campaign as Clan Angrund. It's about turn 50 and I've managed to kill off Skarsnik and I'm sitting on the Vaults and the Grey Mountains. Belegar has just begun his expedition to the Badlands, while the Ancestors remain in the Mountain Homes, inspiring the Dawi to rebuild. After a short trek through Border Princes territory I found that Grimgor and Azhag had overrun the Blood River Valley, and Ironhide's doomstack was laying siege to Atkendorf. The plan now is to reclaim Barak Varr for myself and ensure the survival of the Everpeak, then to press on to Karak Eight Peaks.

One fun thing about this starting location has been navigating the diplomacy. Karak Hirn is just as mad as usual, and spent the majority of their time raiding and sacking Wissenland. Of course this meant Wissenland was the first province confederated by the Empire, and I cancelled my defensive alliance with Karak Hirn the turn after. Sure enough the Empire declared war soon after, and now Volkmar is sieging down their cities.

The two new campaigns really ratchet up the sense of narrative in the main campaign, and it gives me confidence for the next major title as far as translating the Warhammer setting into an engaging single-player experience.

Two niggles that came up in this playthrough though. Diplomacy desperately needs a "Cut That poo poo Out" option to make allies end wars or alliances with third parties. Also, I really wish Dwarf Agents could use the Underway stance.

E:

Mr Gentleman posted:

skarsnik on legendary has been very difficult for me. once you're done fighting karak norn, one of the other dwarves will usually jump on you (esp belegar). you really really need that spider skarsnik starts with since the dwarves you start by can't really kill it - I use it to tank half their army at once.

Not to brag, but I found Cuddles the Spider disappointingly easy to dispose of. Belegar's Hammerers and some concentrated fire from 4 crossbow units hurt it quickly enough that it routed from the battlefield with maybe an eighth of its health left. I had a lot more trouble from Skulkers and just the sheer number of archers the Bad Moons managed to throw at me.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 22, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I've found it's mostly best to pop the thanes and maybe the runesmith out of the army at least before you head for Sharsnik because the last thing you need to be doing is crushing rebellions with your singular stack and some extra growth is nice since you should not be building any growth buildings outside of ale--you don't have the cashflow to match up to super-growth and the replenishment alone likely isn't worth the slot compared to cash. I also tend to delete the hammerer and miner at some point since while at least the hammerer is nice and the miner can speed up sieges being able to have 4x rangers for that upkeep is even nicer especially since you're mostly fighting goblins or savage orcs without armor and belegor has a unique skill that really buffs their damage. I've just been focusing his unit buff tree and the unique rune because you need to make the most of what you can afford.

It's definitely the hardest legendary campaign currently on offer and it turns out I must have been super RNG lucky on the first attempt that saw me to eight peaks. On that run Tilea became a military ally, a human killed the skull-takerz for me, the main dwarf faction was rocking and I was able to take out Sharsnik's spider on walls and before he had a waaaagh going. My other attempts have had almost none of that happen and have taught me you want to kill the skull-takerz yourself ASAP because it's a lose condition if you assume the humans will handle it and then they come back with two and a half stacks while you're elsewhere. Tilea is also weirdly unfriendly sometimes, like in a "will not accept non-aggression even when at 40+ friendly with the only red on the list being great power" kind of way that sees them warring you eventually.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Skulkers who can get a rear charge off and start "winning" combat have to be pound for pound some of the most effective units in the game. I've had skulker units with 150+ dwarf kills. Black orcs or boar boyz don't even usually do that well.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

yeah skulkers are great. the other thing that helps as skarsnik is he starts with lightning attack so you don't need to fight a bunch of dwarf stacks at once. I get the feeling getting bogged down in holding karak norn isn't worth it but rather you're meant to go off to somewhere else in the badlands to start a settlement before going for karak eight peaks.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
do agent effects stack if they're in the same province?

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Uh so I just noticed one of the starting Empire Secessionist armies is led by Hans Zintler. Is this just a confusing choice or is there some reason why the Reiksmarshal is fighting the Emperor?

e; oh also i'd appreciate it if any of the warhams explain what's boris todbringer's schtick is in tabletop. there's a non-zero chance he becomes a legendary lord, i reckon

double e; or wait zintler isn't the reiksmarshal, but he's still a reiksguard dude right so what gives

brocretin fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 22, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Soup du Journey posted:

do agent effects stack if they're in the same province?

No. In my Angrund run I kept one of the thanes in the army while the other one has stayed in the province boosting Public Order and going up the blue skill tree.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So are the stores already stocking this magazine or not yet?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

It's not supposed to be out until the 28th, so I doubt it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

What you expect games workshop to have plans for mass distribution? They thrive off of artificial scarcity so they can jack up the prices on their goods. I'm still mad their "special edition" of sabbat crusade came with exclusive art and a reprinting of the extremely rare sabbat world's guidebook while all my hardback edition came with was the short stories

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

Triskelli posted:

E:

Not to brag, but I found Cuddles the Spider disappointingly easy to dispose of. Belegar's Hammerers and some concentrated fire from 4 crossbow units hurt it quickly enough that it routed from the battlefield with maybe an eighth of its health left. I had a lot more trouble from Skulkers and just the sheer number of archers the Bad Moons managed to throw at me.

Whoops sorry I'd meant playing as skarsnik not against; the dwarf cpu seems to have problems focusing it down

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I don't think so, I asked the guy at my FLGS and he didn't know anything about it.

Luckily he said I can have his code when that comes out, since he doesn't play Total Warhams.

Edit: beaten.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Mr Gentleman posted:

Whoops sorry I'd meant playing as skarsnik not against; the dwarf cpu seems to have problems focusing it down

I think it's less that they have trouble focusing it down and more that you as a player have less trouble preventing them from doing so. The AI is usually happy to let your ranged units spray it and you're capable of kiting when they do have spare stuff to disrupt whereas as a player you know that the true danger is their ranged and will be murdering it ASAP regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

What you expect games workshop to have plans for mass distribution? They thrive off of artificial scarcity so they can jack up the prices on their goods. I'm still mad their "special edition" of sabbat crusade came with exclusive art and a reprinting of the extremely rare sabbat world's guidebook while all my hardback edition came with was the short stories
This isn't poor planning or artificial scarcity. The magazine releases at the end of the month. That's it. No nefarious plot here beyond the one to get people to walk into GW stores.

I was honestly surprised the DLC went up ahead of time, but I guess CA wanted to raise awareness of it too and that was an easy way to do it.

• Locked thread