Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

the one thing I'll say on fallout 4's behalf is that I think the core combat gameplay and shooting and stuff is lightyears better than fallout 3 or new vegas, which is reeeally damning with faint praise

I think I would rather play it again than fallout 3

There is a mod called tale of two wastelands that lets you play fallout 3 from within new vegas, which makes it much much better. I am hoping someone can do the same for new vegas and 4 because there are legitimate mechanics upgrades that are nice. Minecraft mode is garbage tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Blue Train posted:

There is a mod called tale of two wastelands that lets you play fallout 3 from within new vegas, which makes it much much better. I am hoping someone can do the same for new vegas and 4 because there are legitimate mechanics upgrades that are nice. Minecraft mode is garbage tho

New Vegas is a textbook example of "make the best of what you've got" design wise.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i turned curie into an android in fo4 then had sex with her then found out all the androids were based off my son's biology meaning i hosed my robot granddaughter

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I've never played any of the Fallout games after 2 because I've found Bethesda is trash at making RPGs. A super lazy way to balance RPGs is to make the entire world scale off the player. The Loot, the Monster stats and the area difficulty. Did they do that same poo poo from Skyrim and Oblivion in Fallout?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That poo poo was infuriating and it is thankfully missing from fallout

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I've never played any of the Fallout games after 2 because I've found Bethesda is trash at making RPGs. A super lazy way to balance RPGs is to make the entire world scale off the player. The Loot, the Monster stats and the area difficulty. Did they do that same poo poo from Skyrim and Oblivion in Fallout?

stuff scales but in a manner closer to (and better than) skyrim than the nonsense that was in oblivion, and it tends to make more sense- i.e. a lot of stuff (including loot) is of a fixed level/at fixed locations, areas you've visited tend to remain as they were when you first went there so if you go back you can roll people, stuff is geographically distributed and you'll face old, nasty versions of monsters and better equipped troops from factions that would have actual reason to be on alert rather than an endless succession of bandits blinged out in glass/daedric armor and weaponry, and the damage/stat scaling tends to result in less terrible HP inflation so combat (on balance) remains reasonable if you upgrade weapons/abilities appropriately (by which I mean it pretty much works how you'd naively expect it to-i.e. if you want to shoot mans well you should just put points into gun skills/talents)

combat is never amazing but the engine works much better for shooting than melee, especially once they figured out guns should actually have sights (i.e. post OG Fallout 3), and as a result all of them are better than current-era Elder Scrolls games

on balance New Vegas is much better for both story and gameplay than either 3 or 4 though (though 4 has some decent QOL updates that would be great if back-ported)

LGD has issued a correction as of 01:43 on Nov 10, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

character design is hardly irrelevant to tactics (despite it in fact being the best final fantasy game), where every character is a medieval waif with huge hands and the main character is best known for his toned and shapely rear end

personal favorite vagrant story took this to the next level by putting the main character's assless chaps front and center for the whole game

different designer from the main series though; one whose thing was gay s&m

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chillgamesh posted:

thats ff9 (which also owns)

wat

The translation of ff7 is hysterically bad

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

personal favorite vagrant story took this to the next level by putting the main character's assless chaps front and center for the whole game

different designer from the main series though; one whose thing was gay s&m

is vagrant story the wokest jrpg

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

ate poo poo on live tv: you should play New Vegas because it's good.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Does rope kid still post on SA

rope kid post in c-spam please

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

New Vegas is my favorite game and I have wasted hundreds of shameful hours playing it

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

new vegas is really good and it's sad that obsidian didn't get to fully develop everything as much as they wanted

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Killer 7 is the true dirtbag left videogame.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEb39GqOqW8

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

This game needs a remaster/PC port.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Extremely problematic

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

ate poo poo on live tv: you should play New Vegas because it's good.

K

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

got any sevens posted:

is vagrant story the wokest jrpg

that's also fft; there's an article out there about it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i want an ff7 remake for a proper translation as much as for a graphical update

fft had the same problem but got a good translation

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

i want an ff7 remake for a proper translation as much as for a graphical update

fft had the same problem but got a good translation

l
i
t
t
l
e

m
o
n
e
y

yeah fft was mostly a good translation :)

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All the synth poo poo in fallout 4 did not fit the tone of the game, and my hunch is that it's a stupid fetish of the writing team, because Fallout 3 also had the synth poo poo shoe-horned in there, right near the end, and it still didn't fit there either.

Basically they took the worst quest from fallout 3, and made that the entire game.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

that's also fft; there's an article out there about it

FFT is the king killing association as a videogame except you also kill a few popes

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

this is really a shame because the writing is very good and interesting if you can figure out what the weird loving translation is trying to tell you
maybe the remake coming out in 20 years will fix all this

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I know people like New Vegas but I could never get into it, even though it's an objectively good game

The fallout universe just doesn't appeal to me and I don't like it's aesthetics? :shrug:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dreddout posted:

I know people like New Vegas but I could never get into it, even though it's an objectively good game

The fallout universe just doesn't appeal to me and I don't like it's aesthetics? :shrug:

gently caress man I don't even

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the bitcoin of weed posted:

FFT is the king killing association as a videogame except you also kill a few popes

also Dycedarg's older brother

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
the good numbered single player final fantasy games are 4 6 9 12 and 15 and tactics is better than all of them don't at me

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

New Vegas is the best and I still want to play the last two DLCs but I doubt I will be able to import my saves with a handful of poorly-setup mods that I don't remember to a new install.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
it's going to be the most hilariously square thing ever when the ff7 remake that should secure their future for another decade spends too long in production to be profitable

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

the good numbered single player final fantasy games are 4 6 9 12 and 15 and tactics is better than all of them don't at me

actually 5 is good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

final fantasy 5 is pure distilled rpg minmaxing with the most bland and forgettable plot and characters ive ever seen (except for that one recurring boss) and its like crack for the reptillian "make the numbers go up" part of your brain

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
5 is only good if your MC is named butz instead of bartz

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
video games are for children

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
video games are for bad children whose parents dont love them

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Blue Train posted:

gently caress man I don't even

I can't defend myself, I just don't care for it.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

video games are for children

We are all children under late Capitalism

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

also Dycedarg's older brother

The WOTL re-translation is incredibly good.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

New Vegas is the best and I still want to play the last two DLCs but I doubt I will be able to import my saves with a handful of poorly-setup mods that I don't remember to a new install.

If one of those two is dead money it's fuckin trash

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Having come up through the 8 and 16 bit periods, I have a hard time holding FF7's occasional translation problems that much against it considering the much, much worse issues of older games. I mean hell, I played Robotrek of all goddamn things and that's so badly translated that like half of any given conversations are ellipses.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Train posted:

If one of those two is dead money it's fuckin trash
are you serious, it's the best dlc imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
dead money > lonesome road > honest hearts > old world blues