Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Physical, but only in the US of A.
Europeans like me get 2€

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Europeans like me get 2€

I get £2 which is actually slightly less than that

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I import my games from Amazon UK instead of buying them at the local GameStop, which usually works out to about a 20% discount, including shipping.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I get £2 which is actually slightly less than that

Welp. :britain:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Instant Grat posted:

Man I'd rather have a steady 30 than that wildly inconsistent mess.

Also, and I hate to be That Guy, but Dark Souls 3 on PC has been able to run at a solid 60 (better than on the new PS4 Pro patch even) ever since it was released.

I don't think DS3 ever ran a steady 30 on PS4 though, I definitely remember plenty of dips

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm EXTREMELY early in Nier:A and it hasn't fully captured my heart yet, but 2 things I really think are neat:

The ridiculousness of fishing

that my pod's voice is Chase from Rescue Bots.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

I'm EXTREMELY early in Nier:A and it hasn't fully captured my heart yet, but 2 things I really think are neat:

The ridiculousness of fishing

that my pod's voice is Chase from Rescue Bots.

route A is like a very basic shallow feeling story but with a few great moments and sequences. it gets very different.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Any new games worth grabbing with the 20% off prime price?

Edit: i already got nier automata and horizon in terms of new games

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 24, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Instant Grat posted:

Man I'd rather have a steady 30 than that wildly inconsistent mess.

Also, and I hate to be That Guy, but Dark Souls 3 on PC has been able to run at a solid 60 (better than on the new PS4 Pro patch even) ever since it was released.

I remember when DS3 first came out it had that weird hitching thing on PC where it would just drop a frame every few seconds or so. Has that been fixed yet?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Europeans like me get 2€

Canada gets 20% off too.

You can get 20% off an ME:A PC code on amazon.ca but it doesn't sell codes at all for the consoles as far as I can tell.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Canada gets 20% off too.

You can get 20% off an ME:A PC code on amazon.ca but it doesn't sell codes at all for the consoles as far as I can tell.

I can't be mad at :canada:, your currency is worth nothing and you pay more anyway

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah 20% off just drops the price down to what it was a couple years ago. :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Any new games worth grabbing with the 20% off prime price?

Edit: i already got nier automata and horizon in terms of new games

persona in about a week

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

exquisite tea posted:

I remember when DS3 first came out it had that weird hitching thing on PC where it would just drop a frame every few seconds or so. Has that been fixed yet?

Oh yeah I remember that. I think it was fixed last time I played, but that was before Ashes of Ariandel came out, so I might be misremembering.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
in Nier:A sometimes while beating on regular enemies, I see a O prompt on them. But usually my partner(s) are too gung ho about finishing them off... what's that O prompt all about?

[edit] Also do gaining levels actually mean anything? I'm like Level 7.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 24, 2017

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Feenix posted:

in Nier:A sometimes while beating on regular enemies, I see a O prompt on them. But usually my partner(s) are too gung ho about finishing them off... what's that O prompt all about?

It's a finisher.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Feenix posted:

You give 'em a good kick or sword slash that can kill them and sometimes do damage to surrounding enemies.

E: Yes you get stronger as your level goes up like any RPG

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
First play through through nier, did the "tutorial" to unlock quicksave, is it best to just stick to the main story portion the first go around amd do side quest starting with the b play through?

Does it matter?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can do sidequests whenever, but you might as well wait until you unlock fast travel.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Do the main story first until you unlock fast travel, then do as much side stuff as you enjoy. There are going to be some quests that you will be underleveled for on route A regardless

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Continue with the main story until you unlock fast travel, it makes sidequesting way easier.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

lol, I always thought it was a joke, but it's actually real - amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Goons do a terrible job of selling the concept of NieR:A

This is thing about Nier, and keep in mind I've only played probably 5 hours of it so my opinion on it is only partially formed at best.

It seems good. I enjoy it for the most part but it is niche as all hell and is pretty much the epitome of "goon favorite that has very limited appeal to the average person, but goons will act like it's a must buy for everyone." It says a lot that out of the 250 people on my friends list, 12 are playing Nier and every single one of them is a poster itt. I can honestly say with the exception of one person, everyone I know irl who plays games would hate Nier. If t was catering to less of niche crowd it would probably be a lot more divisive.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's just not for everyone. It's amazing, but it's not for everyone.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Goons do a terrible job of selling the concept of NieR:A

The problem is that explaining the bits of Nier that are incredible is impossible without ruining those same bits. A fair bit of what makes those moments exceptional is the surprise in the moment. The framing, the context and the disbelief that someone would have the audacity to pull something like this. Most of the conventional metrics to judge a game are actually mediocre in Nier. The graphics are real loving bad. The combat is good but it's only about 70-80% of the depth and fun of Bayonetta or DmC (and even making this comparison is niche as hell). The sidequesting is real poo poo, even if some of them have nice story payoffs. The story is great but it's hours until you get any real coherence on that front and everything feels disjointed until you do.

If not for Persona 5 it would be my shoo-in game of the year but explaining to people why is an operation in frustration.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 24, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Does Nier support HDR?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
It's on place 3 of the global top sellers on steam. It's not that niche.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Does Nier support HDR?

gently caress no. It's a ps3 game graphically, at best.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Eezee posted:

It's on place 3 of the global top sellers on steam. It's not that niche.

drakengard and the first nier were very niche. automata selling so well is frankly amazing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Outside of the protagonist character models, it looks like an hd remaster of a ps2 game.

Good art direction helps with that quite a bit though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Snak posted:

It's just not for everyone. It's amazing, but it's not for everyone.

Yeah I;m not sure where I fall on the spectrum for Nier:A. But we shall see.

Speaking of, I keep getting to the last phase of the (2nd boss if you count tutorial?) Humanoid White Haired Naked Dude Is there a trick other than Git Gud? I'm having a time with him...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Yeah I;m not sure where I fall on the spectrum for Nier:A. But we shall see.

Speaking of, I keep getting to the last phase of the (2nd boss if you count tutorial?) Humanoid White Haired Naked Dude Is there a trick other than Git Gud? I'm having a time with him...
I guess the only trick is making use of the extremely wide invincibility window of dodging. There's basically no penalty for it so you should just be doing it constantly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess the only trick is making use of the extremely wide invincibility window of dodging. There's basically no penalty for it so you should just be doing it constantly.

Ok, so no real trick other than git gud. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a thing. I still haven't mastered the timing. (Or I get greedy on hits since they come out so fast...)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If you're playing on normal, abuse the laser pod program with lockon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is Far Cry Primal fun? I saw it on the flash sale and I'm thinking about it, but I dunno how much fun it'll be compared to #4.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Ok, so no real trick other than git gud. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a thing. I still haven't mastered the timing. (Or I get greedy on hits since they come out so fast...)
I dunno what to say to enemy attacks in Nier coming out fast. I can't immediately think of a game where the enemies have a more clear and slow wind up animation, relative to how fast your character can move. You can just dance around them like a maniac while they move in slow motion.

edit: do you have auto hp recover and auto potion on? With those you should be able to play absolutely as sloppy as you want (like I do) and still win almost every time. It's just really, really not a hard game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 25, 2017

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is Far Cry Primal fun? I saw it on the flash sale and I'm thinking about it, but I dunno how much fun it'll be compared to #4.
It's fun enough if you like Far Cry but it's clearly a bit of a cash in compared to 3 and 4. The melee combat isn't great but sniping with the bow and using an eagle to drop bee bombs on people is enjoyable.

I gotta figure Far Cry 5 will show up at E3. Ubi never lets things rest for too long.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 25, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eeh. It's basically a loosely recycled 4 with less content and a different aesthetic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I kinda hate hzd's use item interface, i get killed a lot scrambling to find the health drink in the long list of things

Play hzd instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Real hurthling! posted:

I kinda hate hzd's use item interface, i get killed a lot scrambling to find the health drink in the long list of things

Play hzd instead.

yeah thats annoying as gently caress. I just started selling all of my traps so I'd have less to scroll through, since I only ever used them on cauldron bosses and I finished those anyways I find them less than useful