Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

seems strongly implied in the end of the trailer that you can invade another player's game as that other assassin

Arkane finally using that concept from their cancelled title The Crossing maybe.

Looks like it takes a lot of game loop inspiration from Mooncrash perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

Arkane finally using that concept from their cancelled title The Crossing maybe.

Looks like it takes a lot of game loop inspiration from Mooncrash perhaps.

Thinking both of these as well. The Crossing looked interesting but it's hard to say how a game that never came out would have been.

Mooncrash, however, was loving terrific. I know a lot of people gave it a pass- the one-sentence summary didn't really grab me either, but I think the roguelike/immersive sim combo is excellent.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m certainly glad I got around to playing Mooncrash.

Thank you Prey thread.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Got a mod itch, found out that in addition to a kludgier-looking total conversion to make the game more SS2-ish, there's a less drastic rebalance mod for the main game, apparently made by a guy (the guy?) who made the famed GMDX mod for Deus Ex. Supposedly a similar sort of Mooncrash mod may emerge at some point in the future. One can hope.

Also someone went all out on a TC that's supposed to make the game more like a Soulslike. In alpha, I'm not touching it.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

seems strongly implied in the end of the trailer that you can invade another player's game as that other assassin

Yeah, you can choose to either have her be controlled by AI, or have a mix of AI and other players playing her. They've said as much in interviews post the drop of that trailer. It's really cool!

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

phew. i just finished prey for the first time.

that was amazing. thank gently caress i listened to the title of this thread. missing this game would be criminal.

I went full security tree and didnt kill anyone, but i got 1 kill in the end so maybe that was someone who was mind controlled. I dont know if i will do a NG+ on this one. i'd love to try the typhon powers and i feel like i cheated myself by not doing that side of the game. I just dont know if i have the time to replay this whole thing.

i also got most of the side quests. i couldnt find a few people, someone was stuck in GUTS and one volunteer was out in space somewhere and i couldnt find them. there were some map fragments i didnt find. It took me a while to get a handle on zero-G in this game. i dont know why but space was really disorienting.
overall this game sucked me in and i tried to do as much as i could.

i'd love to know the different endings and all the details i missed. I'm probably going to go on a youtube bender now. i'm looking forward to mooncrash.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

oh wait maybe it was the cook.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I brought this on sale on GOG; I'm up to Psychotronics and without spoiling too much, how many Typhon mods can I install before security bots start shooting me on sight?

I've been trying to avoid combat with Phantoms as much as possible but having to deal with them is rough. They hit hard, fast, and from long range which means my suit keeps taking a beating. I'm kind of glad I got the pay-2-win shotgun from the deluxe edition pack; dealing with those things using the pistol exclusively is a pain. GLOOing them is always an option if I need to make a quick getaway, but how long does it usually hold before they break free?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

I brought this on sale on GOG; I'm up to Psychotronics and without spoiling too much, how many Typhon mods can I install before security bots start shooting me on sight?

Two, the third one will turn them against you. They're not that hard to deal with though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Grimthwacker posted:

I've been trying to avoid combat with Phantoms as much as possible but having to deal with them is rough. They hit hard, fast, and from long range which means my suit keeps taking a beating. I'm kind of glad I got the pay-2-win shotgun from the deluxe edition pack; dealing with those things using the pistol exclusively is a pain. GLOOing them is always an option if I need to make a quick getaway, but how long does it usually hold before they break free?

Turrets are so weak compared to typhon that getting shot by them sometimes is not even a factor in making a decision if you should stuff your face full of space magic. Pay-2-win shotgun isn't much of a pay to win, more like pay to not take a side-trip through vents to grab a regular shotgun in security. And lastly GLOOed enemies take extra damage, so it's not just a getaway option, but also an opportunity to introduce enemies to a wrench.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you've got Hacking 2, you can also make the turrets see you as a friendly.

Also I'm on my second playthrough with the CORE Rebalance mod and it's super good, the only thing I don't really love about it is that the more hardcore (modular) options make engineering and science operators useless, aside from what their corpses might drop. I've enjoyed the game more with those healers in. But this is the first game in which I've really had to make use of my typhon lures, and a souped up stun gun feels less like a win button and more like a tool. I just entered the Crew Quarters with a fair few powers and I'm still at the point where one phantom is a problem and two phantoms in the same place is a REAL problem.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 20, 2020

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Pyromancer posted:

Turrets are so weak compared to typhon that getting shot by them sometimes is not even a factor in making a decision if you should stuff your face full of space magic. Pay-2-win shotgun isn't much of a pay to win, more like pay to not take a side-trip through vents to grab a regular shotgun in security. And lastly GLOOed enemies take extra damage, so it's not just a getaway option, but also an opportunity to introduce enemies to a wrench.

Yeah, turrets get trashed extremely quickly by Typhon. I kind don't want to waste resources repairing them. As far as neuromods go I'm not quite sure if I want to specialize in anything yet or just cherry pick from various skill trees. I can always fabricate them, but those are resources that can be used for things to keep me alive, like ammo and medkits. Yeah, there's plenty of stuff around to get, but I have this hoarding mentality where I save things until I really need them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Basic Chunnel posted:

If you've got Hacking 2, you can also make the turrets see you as a friendly.

Also I'm on my second playthrough with the CORE Rebalance mod and it's super good, the only thing I don't really love about it is that the more hardcore (modular) options make engineering and science operators useless, aside from what their corpses might drop. I've enjoyed the game more with those healers in. But this is the first game in which I've really had to make use of my typhon lures, and a souped up stun gun feels less like a win button and more like a tool. I just entered the Crew Quarters with a fair few powers and I'm still at the point where one phantom is a problem and two phantoms in the same place is a REAL problem.

Does the game not become too reliant on twitch skills at that point? Or are you making do by just avoiding a lot of fights?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For turrets you need two at cross angles in a relatively tight space - the key is not giving phantoms enough breathing room to benefit from the spread of the machine gun.

Turrets suck until you're playing a game in which down and dirty melee isn't both the simplest and easiest solution to a typhon problem, especially when operators can't fix all your booboos. Which in the CORE rebalance is most of the game. Even just getting a few hits in before they inevitably get knocked over can make a big difference.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Does the game not become too reliant on twitch skills at that point? Or are you making do by just avoiding a lot of fights?
There will definitely be fights you want to avoid / strategize over (door locks - your new best friend), It becomes more about tool use, and eventually judicious use of typhon powers when you've got them. On Hard, a base-level stun gun and full stamina bar will get a phantom to about 20% of health before it recovers enough to start hurting you if they've gone hostile before they were stunned.

Arkane included everything needed to make the game tense and interesting, it's just that they tipped their balance in favor of players who don't want to worry about it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wanted to try and put some turrets up on a fortified GLOO position but they tend to get a little strange when you respawn the room. Unfortunately, outside of Mooncrash Engineer spawning, turrets don't have a whole lot of utility.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm playing Mooncrash for the first time and I got myself stuck in the level geometry after overzealous artax thrusting into some shelves. I have no weapons that I can use to kill myself and I can't reload a previous save obviously.

Do I literally have to sit here and wait for all 5 levels of corruption to elapse so I can reset the simulation? :ohdear:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Noclip is your new best friend

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Try to drop everything you have to dislodge yourself?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I found an abort simulation button tucked away in the status menu. It's a shame since I was having a pretty good run.

I'm really enjoying this type of gameplay loop, incidentally. I hope Arkane's building it out for their next game Deathloop.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Goddamnit, one of the story objectives forces you to take the absolute worst upgrade in the game, Phantom Genesis II, on the director. I liked having just the regular Phantoms as meat shields/Typhon material farms. Now I got fiery and lightning dudes following me around invading my personal space, eating up my health and suit integrity, and lighting up every oil and water slick like a bull in a china shop.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If you think they're bad...

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Are there even worse allies?

Trying to remember if the phantom summons in the base game also did friendly fire but I believe I only ever got the first level of Phantom Genesis.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Is there a deathloop thread right now or is this it? I'm so goddamn excited for that game. All the ideas they had in mooncrash being used in a much bigger and cooler way. The protagonists, the aesthetic, the actually-fighting-is-good-now-and-not-something-to-be-avoided, all of this poo poo has me incredibly hyped up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nea posted:

Is there a deathloop thread right now

Don't think so but i doubt it'd see much activity at the moment.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Nea posted:

Is there a deathloop thread right now or is this it? I'm so goddamn excited for that game. All the ideas they had in mooncrash being used in a much bigger and cooler way. The protagonists, the aesthetic, the actually-fighting-is-good-now-and-not-something-to-be-avoided, all of this poo poo has me incredibly hyped up.

Make an OP but just put it here instead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Deathloop sounds fantastic, and very Mooncrash influenced

Besides the whole rinse and repeat structure of Mooncrash, there's also the clock counting down your mission (Bakaba likens the time management to Persona). Your approach to killing does not influence your rewards, so no fake morality system to curb how you play. Weapons and powers are chosen before each mission, limiting how powerful you can get. Smaller focus on stealth than Dishonored but it's still an option. Also interesting that you'll be able to explore areas without fighting sometimes. I think this might be to scout an area before committing to the mission.

I left out the details of the setting (which includes the other character) in case someone didn't want to be spoiled, but it sounds cool.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/30/deathloop-interview-ps5-dishonored-persona-dark-souls-cluedo/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know why but something about that article made me want to spitefully play this game while steadfastly refusing to murder anyone and impose my own personal "fake morality" system.

I get why they're doing it, and the setting/concept does sound interesting, but there's also something here that makes me want to say "gently caress you" to the devs, give em the finger while waltzing through loops without doing any murders.

I picked up an old Preythrough recently and have been exploring with taking alien powers and killing everyone. Alien powers, kind of cool, make a lot of stuff very easy. Mimicking a small object to sneak in through broken doors and such is the best, honestly there's a whole game hidden in this concept of becoming objects and rolling them around. Game also go by a lot faster when you just charge directly into enemies instead of trying to sneak and avoid killing them. On the other hand, I also had to fabricate ammo at one point.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I beat Mooncrash and got all the achievements which is a rarity for me, though I mostly got them through happenstance while playing the game as normal. There were only 2 "kill x enemies in y manner" cheevos that you might have to go out of your way for, and they're pretty easy to get at the same time if you remember to go for them.

You all probably know this, but unlocking the Engineer was a major turnaround moment, to the point where I almost wish I hadn't settled on her as my go-to character early on. She's just so drat efficient with her skillset. Most runs was just running around and clearing the whole crater with her alone, then churning out more neuromods and delay times than I really needed, and then switching to the other characters to do their story missions. I also tried playing at higher corruption levels and with the other maxed out characters but the challenge was gone after optimizing with Joan.

I enjoyed the gameplay loop in the dozen or so attempts that it lasted, but I was definitely content to be done with it when it was over. I've seen some people complain online about your progress resetting to zero once you've finished all the KASMA objectives, but I just don't feel like the game stays endlessly replayable once you've maxed out your characters and learned the ins and outs of the maps, even with the random environmental variables added near the end. Still, overall a great game and Arkane can inject Deathloop directly into my orbital socket next.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Khanstant posted:

I don't know why but something about that article made me want to spitefully play this game while steadfastly refusing to murder anyone and impose my own personal "fake morality" system.

I get why they're doing it, and the setting/concept does sound interesting, but there's also something here that makes me want to say "gently caress you" to the devs, give em the finger while waltzing through loops without doing any murders.

I picked up an old Preythrough recently and have been exploring with taking alien powers and killing everyone. Alien powers, kind of cool, make a lot of stuff very easy. Mimicking a small object to sneak in through broken doors and such is the best, honestly there's a whole game hidden in this concept of becoming objects and rolling them around. Game also go by a lot faster when you just charge directly into enemies instead of trying to sneak and avoid killing them. On the other hand, I also had to fabricate ammo at one point.

It's Arkane, so there might be some sort of nonlethal option, but I'm willing to bet that if it exists, it'll be similar to Dishonored, where not killing your targets was less merciful than if you'd just stabbed them in the face. I don't know how they'd manage to do something like that for Deathloop, but there are probably a few things they're holding back about the game.

As for your second point: https://store.steampowered.com/app/741820/Prey_Typhon_Hunter/ exists already, just in case that wasn't :thejoke: (it's also included with Mooncrash). It's probably not quite what you meant, but it might be!

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 4, 2020

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Hooo boy, the game certainly escalates when you "meet" Alex in his office. I'm glad I squirreled away all those EMPs, and Electrostatic discharge certainly helps (when it actually hits). I'm glad the game gives you more than enough resources and tools to let you go crazy with whatever gameplay style you want. As much as I try to sneak my way around I wind up having to shoot a lot, so taking the Gunsmith and Firearms skills comes in handy, and I've been able to fabricate a frightening amount of bullets and shells. Prey really is one of those games that makes good on the promise of being able to do things "your way".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

moot the hopple posted:

I enjoyed the gameplay loop in the dozen or so attempts that it lasted, but I was definitely content to be done with it when it was over. I've seen some people complain online about your progress resetting to zero once you've finished all the KASMA objectives, but I just don't feel like the game stays endlessly replayable once you've maxed out your characters and learned the ins and outs of the maps, even with the random environmental variables added near the end. Still, overall a great game and Arkane can inject Deathloop directly into my orbital socket next.

I really liked it and loved that it ended and that the ending was interesting. Though it was a good length and I'm glad they didn't go and try and make it procedural. I felt like the length gave me enough time to learn the station like the back of my hand, but not get sick of it. Those thingies to give you extra time in each run were so common, and I could go into missions taking a few, that it was easy to park at level or level 3 and just dose an hourglass when it got close. Engineer definitely OP and weasel psychic man sucks.

beats for junkies posted:

It's Arkane, so there might be some sort of nonlethal option, but I'm willing to bet that if it exists, it'll be similar to Dishonored, where not killing your targets was less merciful than if you'd just stabbed them in the face. I don't know how they'd manage to do something like that for Deathloop, but there are probably a few things they're holding back about the game.

As for your second point: https://store.steampowered.com/app/741820/Prey_Typhon_Hunter/ exists already, just in case that wasn't :thejoke: (it's also included with Mooncrash). It's probably not quite what you meant, but it might be!

I actually didn't know much about Typhon Hunter besides that it was multiplayer. Multiplayer + FPS generally equals a bad time so I just avoided it entirely.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Khanstant posted:

Multiplayer + FPS generally equals a bad time

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Probably for them specifically, despite being pretty decent at single player FPS games I universally just get splattered all over the walls repeatedly whenever I touch a multi-player mode, so I've just stopped trying. I'm probably not alone in that.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
To be fair, the multiplayer Typhon Hunter is just a version of the Team Fortress prop hunt game mode that's more akin to hide and seek rather than death match. You can play aggressively to take down the hunter but hiding and running out the clock is also a legit method.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Competitive Online Multiplayer FPS is just a very different thing than playing a videogame. Sometimes you can argue "even losing is fun" about certain things, but in a competition where there's a winner and a loser, it feels better to win. My original comment was provocatively-vague, but I think any game with a direct PvP component is going to generate at least some amount of "bad times" for someone at some point. Sometimes by the nature of the game the cost of a good time comes directly from someone else ending up with a bad one. You can be horrible at a single-player videogame, cant-beat-the-tutorial bad, but you're technically never a loser. It's just a program, you can't lose to it, you just call it stupid and bad and move on. Competitive FPS churns out losers every match!

I don't think I would earnestly argue this, it's a literal toilet thought I just wanted to take for a spin-- if I were to argue there's a time when videogames are not art, it would be when they are competitions/sports, for a lack of a better vocabulary. Using videogame rules as a vector to compete with other people has a very different mindset and feeling than just playing a game by yourself for the gently caress of it. Competitive FPS also tests a lot of different skills, reflexes, and mechanical knowledge in a way it doesn't if it has a SP component. It can be really thrilling and adrenaline-pumping, but it can also be very frustrating and stressful. Satan help you if the game has a chat or voicechat component.

moot the hopple posted:

To be fair, the multiplayer Typhon Hunter is just a version of the Team Fortress prop hunt game mode that's more akin to hide and seek rather than death match. You can play aggressively to take down the hunter but hiding and running out the clock is also a legit method.

This sounds like it would be a cool party mode to a lot of different games, but I've also been demanding to play as a raptor in every MP FPS since I played Turok 2.

P.S. Bring back the level H2Whoa. I can't think of any games since then to play with self-containing vertical water rooms or level design.

edit: Wow, there's a recent re-release of Turok 2 on PC but no videos of this level explicitly yet. There's got to be at least 3 minutes of videogame video essay to be wrung from that level.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finished my first playthrough the other day, which was great, but Mooncrash is a fantastic add-on. It's so layered and deep, not just in its main goal of escaping and how you go about doing it - I have four out of the five survivors unlocked, and figuring out escape routes for them based on their skills and any restrictions they might have (like having so many Typhon powers installed that the gates just plain lock you out unless you have the anything that shorts out the consoles) makes me do mental gymnastics. All the story objectives just add further layers and gives you things to focus on with each run. It's easily becoming one of my favorite roguelites.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Interview re: Deathloop

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Interview re: Weird West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LvjG6qqhM

Mentions ultima vii as a conceptual starting point. Though interestingly the game's broken up into sections, each played by a different main character, with previous characters continuing their existence in the world and being recruitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rinkles posted:

Interview re: Weird West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8LvjG6qqhM

Mentions ultima vii as a conceptual starting point. Though interestingly the game's broken up into sections, each played by a different main character, with previous characters continuing their existence in the world and being recruitable.

Sucks that he felt he had to leave Arkane, but I'm definitely keeping my eyes on w/e it is he decides to work on.

Edit: although I'm not a fan of the "wild west".

itry fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 12, 2020