Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

steinrokkan posted:

It's appropriate because over most of the show's run she's been the perfect symbol of US politics

She appears out of nowhere in a foreign country with no knowledge of the local situation, uses her army of savage rapists to topple the social order, makes people praise her as a liberator, and then leaves as the whole place crumbles around her into a war torn hellscape, never to look back or care at all.

I was thinking about that earlier. I know a lot of her stuff in Essos was filler material so she could have something to do before she got around to invading Westeros, but she really is bad at running an empire. On the plus side, she got out of her forever-war in the east so she's a step above the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

As Nero Danced posted:

I was thinking about that earlier. I know a lot of her stuff in Essos was filler material so she could have something to do before she got around to invading Westeros, but she really is bad at running an empire. On the plus side, she got out of her forever-war in the east so she's a step above the US.

She left a puppet government installed and threatened to come back with the dragons and roast everyone and everything if they got out of line so actually......

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

As Nero Danced posted:

they needed that filler because the moron writer of the books didn't realize that dragons, like anything else, need time to grow up.

I think he called it the mereneese knot? Where it was supposed to be a political issue but really no, you can't do anything with tiny dragons so just hang out there for a while.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
He's a fat idiot. He was going to fast forward ten years after Rob Stark dies and have Edric Dayne be the new protagonist (hes the nephew of the badass super knight that Ned had backstabbed) but instead decided to write out the next ten years and then get stuck like a fat idiot

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the book arent good either so i dont know what the gently caress that fat gently caress is doing instead of finishing this crap

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
i really need to sit down and check this show out can any one recommend a service i can use to see every season

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ashrum3 posted:

i really need to sit down and check this show out can any one recommend a service i can use to see every season

HBO Go

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

ashrum3 posted:

HBO

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

ashrum3 posted:

HBO free trial week 4 weeks from now.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Manic Mailman posted:

Got excited at the Maisie Williams sideboob action and immediately fell asleep when I realized nothing happened this episode.

Finally, an honest post instead of all this bullshit “my dick shriveled up seeing an attractive woman”.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

latinotwink1997 posted:

Finally, an honest post instead of all this bullshit “my dick shriveled up seeing an attractive woman”.

lol that girl aint atractive and i already asked for mel

also i hope theon doesnt die, that alfie dude its a great actor and his character deserves better

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Brienne is obviously going to die, probably soon, because the will they won't they poo poo between her and Jaime can't go anywhere if Jaime is supposed to end up facing off against Cersei and being all conflicted about it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Why don't any of the Mormonts want Longclaw back from Jon Snow?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Durzel posted:

Brienne is obviously going to die, probably soon, because the will they won't they poo poo between her and Jaime can't go anywhere if Jaime is supposed to end up facing off against Cersei and being all conflicted about it.

what
there's no will they wont they between brienne and jaime

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

FogHelmut posted:

Why don't any of the Mormonts want Longclaw back from Jon Snow?

Jorah the Explorah just wants to carry Dani's printer, and Little Lady Mormont voted to make Jon KITN, so I guess she considers it a gift to her king.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Universe Master posted:

Jorah the Explorah just wants to carry Dani's printer, and Little Lady Mormont voted to make Jon KITN, so I guess she considers it a gift to her king.

LLM has no claim to it, It belonged to Jeor (jorahs dad), not the house. Given that he took it to the Wall with him.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jeor gave it to Jorah when he went to the wall, then Jorah left it behind when he got busted for slaving. Jeor got it back for some reason and the house didn't keep it.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
If anyone wants a better version of the books, go read Tad Williams' Shadowmarch series. Sure, every trilogy of his involves a 1500pg final book that gets split into two, but at least it's finished and there's not a bunch of pointless rape.

No joke, the storylines are so similar in places that Williams doubtlessly ripped off Martin (and I'm amazed hasn't been sued for it) but decided to do a much, much better job.

I hope everyone but Brienne and Arya dies and I'm disappointedly looking forward to how the exact opposite of that will happen.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

FogHelmut posted:

Jeor gave it to Jorah when he went to the wall, then Jorah left it behind when he got busted for slaving. Jeor got it back for some reason and the house didn't keep it.

That's something, the house ostensibly gave up its claim

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I'm really underwhelmed with the amount of nudity so far this season. I feel like they've really strayed from what made the show great which was titties and hairy bushes

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
In all seriousness Brienne getting knight'ed was cool and I felt glad for her. It was the best part of this season thus far.

They could have saved me the other 55 minutes and the entire first episode.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Zombie Ned and Zombie Lyanna Stark are going to whip rear end.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Brienne getting knighted and Dany finding out she's worthless despite her army and dragons and accomplishments because a man showed up.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Are all the undead Starks really going to rise up and kill everyone in the crypts? Is this why Arya is running in the previews all panicked like, did she have to put someone down like Rob or Rickon?

Aren't most of them skeletons anyway?

gently caress this show.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I thought Jeor went to wall so that Jorah wouldn't lose his head and got exiled instead. Thought I maybe missremembering.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Also arent the crypts are supposed to be protected by the spells of Bran the Builder, known bane of the Others? This is why they are putting the soft people there, even though they should have fled south a long time ago. Or been ordered as they are a huge liability, being at risk of being turned and such.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Bag of Hamsters posted:

If anyone wants a better version of the books, go read Tad Williams' Shadowmarch series. Sure, every trilogy of his involves a 1500pg final book that gets split into two, but at least it's finished and there's not a bunch of pointless rape.

No joke, the storylines are so similar in places that Williams doubtlessly ripped off Martin (and I'm amazed hasn't been sued for it) but decided to do a much, much better job.

Martin is a massive fan of Williams' "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" series and cites it as a key inspiration for ASOIAF.

And now I'm all sad that the only adaptation Williams has is some lovely Korean MMORPG based on his Otherland series, which btw is also really good (the books, not the game).

oh dope fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 22, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They're going to the crypts because they did the same thing at Helms Deep.

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.

oh dope posted:

Martin is a massive fan of Williams' "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" series and cites it as a key inspiration for ASOIAF.

...that would be such a hilarious poo poo show if Martin had no intentions of finishing the series and just told everyone to go read Shadowmarch.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Bag of Hamsters posted:

...that would be such a hilarious poo poo show if Martin had no intentions of finishing the series and just told everyone to go read Shadowmarch.

And I'd agree with him.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Mods rename me "Aryassideboob" thanks.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Every one is talking sideboob but nobody is talking half-rear end crack.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A knight can make a knight.

That's some good sensible writing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Aren't most of them skeletons anyway?

gently caress this show.

Skeletons are valuable stealth assassins

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 22, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Waltzing Along posted:

Why doesn't Jamie tell people how crazy the mad king was and why he killed him. It's dumb.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Someone on The Twitter just asked a good question. If Jon dying freed him from his Night’s Watch vows, doesn’t it also remove his claim to the throne? Either your rights and responsibilities die with you, or they don’t. Pick one.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah I want to be like "that's some total bullshit" but maybe they can in their world. Who knows. It still sucks.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

Someone on The Twitter just asked a good question. If Jon dying freed him from his Night’s Watch vows, doesn’t it also remove his claim to the throne? Either your rights and responsibilities die with you, or they don’t. Pick one.

Lineage =! Vows

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Parkingtigers posted:

The oath specifically says it ends with death. Royal bloodline claims don't have an oath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

facebook jihad posted:

Yeah I want to be like "that's some total bullshit" but maybe they can in their world. Who knows. It still sucks.

It happened in real life as well, e.g. Henry the Young King was knighted by William Marshal. It was usual that knighthood was granted by king directly, but it depended on time, place, and situation.