Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Took a "look im the only one working this week im either taking sick or im working from home because this is bullshit" day. Feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Boss is on vacation until the 3rd starting tomorrow, lmao at taking PTO. Ain’t poo poo to do anyways.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I start my graduate degree capstone today. One step closer to slapping a masters degree diploma on top of my bosses desk and then pointing into my open palm, demandingly

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I am waking up to “why doesn’t teams work?!?” When I look it’s because our office 365 subscription has been suspended for non payment from our CSP. Very cool!

I’m leaving right after the new year but this “old job” I’m hanging around at as it continues its death spiral has been dumb.

Something like this happened to me awhile back.

Our finance stopped paying our ISP at one of our key data centers for unknown reasons. They notified no one of this. The ISP was pretty generous though, they kept the line running after like, 8 months maybe of non-payment.

Eventually they killed the line though and I had to respond. The eye-roll I made when I found the root cause probably created measurable gravitational waves.

It still took Finance over a week to pay them everything they owed to get a lot of our services back, meanwhile the users are screaming at us the entire time. The ISP bill was bigger than my salary. They never said why they stopped payment.

I left shortly after.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm a few pages behind but y'all move fast and I'm off until January 4th, so I got time. I thought I'd share my experience with some of this meeting stuff.

KillHour posted:

I'm not crazy for thinking it's incredibly rude to send someone an invite for first thing their morning during their night so they don't even have a chance to respond to your invite, right?

I'm coming back from a long vacation today and I checked my calendar before bed - first call at 11. Well, I woke up this morning and now I have a call in 10 minutes because Asia.

Let's pretend this person didn't know you were on vacation, but let's also say they just booked over the 1st available spot they saw you were open. A trick I do it add an day or two of vacation to my calendar. So if I'm gone for a week and due back on Monday, I'll make my calendar look like I'm not back in the office until Wednesday. This gives me time to catch up and I don't feel like I'm rushing. Granted it won't work in every situation but try it.

oh rly posted:

I ignore these meetings and give the person who set them a hard time after they complain I didn't show up. Double points if you choose a rescheduled time that's inconvenient for them.

The same person who does this type of poo poo also asks for updates via email one min before the meeting and then throws you under the bus during the meeting stating they are waiting on you.

This is where you either have a one on one conversation with this person, or involve your and their manager(s). Approach is professionally, even though its a loving annoying. Alternatively, you could just ignore those last minute emails, and then when you are under the bus on the call, say something like, "Oh I see you sent it right before the meeting started. To prevent this in the future, please ensure any update requests are sent to be by X." Then everyone on the call has heard your reasonable request and expectations have been set.

App13 posted:

One of the help desk guys got a ticket asking how to setup a formula to do X and Y, and to me that seems like, idk, the job of the person who put in the ticket to figure out? Is that a reasonable position to take?

ASAPRockySituation posted:

It is not your job to do their job. If Excel doesn’t run, that’s you. If Excel doesn’t do the thing they want it to, that’s them unless you’re a devopsy kind of guy and write poo poo for people as a part of your job.

I would politely tell them your team has no expertise in excel functions, cc their boss, and ask said boss to help find a proper resource for the employee who asked.

Here's how I would reply.

"Our staff is not trained or certified in Microsoft Excel. This team is responsible for W, X, Y and Z. If your department has a need to use Excel for ACME Corp business purposes such as financial or business planning. please contact your department head to secure training".

Thanks Ants posted:

I've had someone call a meeting to ask me questions about something for about an hour, and then end the meeting by asking me if I could summarise it all in an email. Lol, no chance.

If it looks like the meeting is going to go long and cover lots of things, I'll ask someone to take notes. Lately thought I've just recorded meetings because both Zoom and Teams will give you a transcript.

i am a moron posted:

It’s rude to schedule meetings period. Don’t assume just cause my calendar is open I’m not napping or playing video games or on a hike

In all seriousness I’ve had outlook and teams blocked from notifying me during non business hours for a while and I have focus time set up from 8-10 every day (I’m in EST and work for a CST company so to my bosses 7-9 isn’t unreasonable). People who i work closely with enough know to ask me during business hours if they can schedule into it, people who don’t get asked why they scheduled into time I blocked off after they ask why I missed a meeting

My whole company is remote so we live and die by Google calendar and Slack stats. You really only need to be available between M-Th 11am-3pm Eastern and the rest is up to you. We're also pretty strict about respecting people's status and if they show offline and have notifications off, don't push them a message unless its urgent.

I'll book Focus Time in my calendar so if anyone books a meeting during that time its auto-declined. Sometimes though I'm not so head's down so I'll add "Focus Time - Flexable" in the calendar which means I might have a few free moments if you need me.

I book my out of office hours too, so someone in the west coast doesn't schedule a meeting with me at 8pm.

You can always just book a 1hour meeting with yourself and call it Private if you just want to fill up your calendar.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I only show up to meetings if someone asks if I'm joining 5 minutes in.

I'm kidding....sorta

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

FungiCap posted:

Something like this happened to me awhile back.

Our finance stopped paying our ISP at one of our key data centers for unknown reasons. They notified no one of this. The ISP was pretty generous though, they kept the line running after like, 8 months maybe of non-payment.

Eventually they killed the line though and I had to respond. The eye-roll I made when I found the root cause probably created measurable gravitational waves.

It still took Finance over a week to pay them everything they owed to get a lot of our services back, meanwhile the users are screaming at us the entire time. The ISP bill was bigger than my salary. They never said why they stopped payment.

I left shortly after.

I've had something similar happen twice at different employers.

First one was our entire colo rack in a DC that went down. My boss told me to get my rear end in the car and drive to the DC asap as it was hosting our mail server and a bunch of not quite business critical applications that most of the company used on a day to day basis. This was obviously pre cloud era. Luckily our SaaS offering was properly designed and was HA over multiple DC's. When I got to the DC and asked one DC admins why neither they or us got alerted that our rack got cut off as it's supposed to have a redundant power supply. All other racks were humming along perfectly fine, it was just ours that had 0 blinking lights. The anwser was "yeah we shut it down because you guys had a 0.5A peak and that's against your contract". My boss was incredibly pissed off and never really got an answer on why nobody informed us that we're using too much current instead of just turning the whole rack off and not informing us that they did that. It's not as if we would'n't have paid whatever price they'd ask for extra capacity. They just didn't care at all and turned the whole drat thing off. Nobody at our company was even aware that there was a limit, but that's on us I guess. We weren't using outrageous amounts of power either. We moved away from that DC fairly quick after that shitshow.

Second was the companies Atlassian account. Finance was incredibly annoying when it came to SaaS bills as they had a really strict limit on credit card usage. Budget for these services had to be forecasted and allocated and if you went over it the charge would be denied. At one point some team decided to start using Bamboo pipelines (while we had a different CI/CD tool) and went over the budget. We got a warning when the charge failed saying there was a 7 day grace period to fixing this. Knowing fully well how much of a poo poo show our Finance dept was I immediately escalated this and kept pushing for the entire grace period to hurry the gently caress up. Finance on the other hand had all the time of the world and managed to get all our Atlassian services blocked because of non-payment. None of our devs could use Bitbucket, Jira or Confluence for the better part of a week. I'm not entirely sure how this was resolved but I think one of the execs just used his own credit card to get our accounts enabled again. The Finance director tried to put all the blame on our director for not following procedures but she wasn't having any of that. Finance really could not deal with pay as you go models which was even more of an issue when we moved to the cloud in a later stage, but that's an entirely different story.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I'm a few pages behind but y'all move fast and I'm off until January 4th, so I got time. I thought I'd share my experience with some of this meeting stuff.

Let's pretend this person didn't know you were on vacation, but let's also say they just booked over the 1st available spot they saw you were open. A trick I do it add an day or two of vacation to my calendar. So if I'm gone for a week and due back on Monday, I'll make my calendar look like I'm not back in the office until Wednesday. This gives me time to catch up and I don't feel like I'm rushing. Granted it won't work in every situation but try it.

They did know I was on vacation and they also can't see my calendar because they're external. The bigger issue is sending me an invite for first thing my morning while they know I'm asleep. I check my calendar before bed and they had 2 weeks to schedule it where I would have not been blindsided.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This company has been playing "pick the vendor to pay this month" for a while now. This one just caught up with us even after it was declared a critical service.

I've been working 2 jobs for 4 months now and been on coast mode for probably a year. I'm keeping the lights on but nothing else is being improved. There's no use in putting in the effort to a place that is likely going under anyway and nothing I do to improve the place will stop that from happening. They just laid off another 10% of the workforce but simultaneously put in a request to provision another CSuite exec. The MSP I got rebadged to is wanting to pull me to other projects and wants to track my time but that was my queue to leave regardless.

edit: lol inbound email just went out. Knew it was a matter of time. Pay your bills so our licenses don't go out!

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 20, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

George H.W. oval office posted:

There's no use in putting in the effort to a place that is likely going under anyway and nothing I do to improve the place will stop that from happening. They just laid off another 10% of the workforce but simultaneously put in a request to provision another CSuite exec.

gotta milk that cow until the very second it dies.

CSuite exec is either family or golf buddies with another exec.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Interview question about disclosure

About a month ago, I was 3 interviews deep with Company A for a senior management position. Then they had to pause the role, as they had just gotten a new CTO and knew they'd be changing their structure/strategy, so didn't want to make any decisions on that role until they knew what they were going to be doing.

Oh well, poo poo happens, I added the interviewers to Linkedin and asked to stay in contact, as I am interested in working with them still. Especially as I have prior experience in their industry.

But now I'm about to start the interview process for an identically titled role at Company B, who appear to be a direct competitor.

I'm wondering how much I should play this, if at all. Do I tell Company B that Company A was sniffing around at me, to make me seem more desirable as a candidate? Do I tell Company A that I'm interviewing now at Company B, in a "You should hire me, or your competitor will" gambit? Or is trying this just gonna piss everyone off?

As a hiring manager myself, I've never found myself in this particular situation with a candidate. I know I've had candidates that were in the interview process with other companies, but never ones that were direct competitors. So not sure what the Recruitment teams' advice would likely to be in this case.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t interview senior managers but as a hiring manager I’m assuming if you’re interviewing with us our competitors might be interviewing you as well. We have recruiters who care about that kind of thing and use the info for offer timing and numbers. I dunno about trying to go back to a company and leveraging a round of interviews with a competitor though, better to just take the job with the place that has an open req and see if the first company takes notice

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

KillHour posted:

They did know I was on vacation and they also can't see my calendar because they're external. The bigger issue is sending me an invite for first thing my morning while they know I'm asleep. I check my calendar before bed and they had 2 weeks to schedule it where I would have not been blindsided.

Try something like https://calendly.com/features/calendar-connections for external users.

Unless you are required too, I would stop checking your calendar before bed. I also don't think its unreasonable to click the Propose a New Time button and just mention in the notes that a later time works better for your schedule. Are you the only one they are requiring to get out of bed? If so, I think that shows how ridiculous the meeting time is. If you are the only one they are waking up, why is it so important that you be there? If you are a critical resource, then you dictate when the meetings happen.

Or choose the passive-aggressive route and book meeting when you know they are asleep.

It sounds to me like this person wants to make other people a Blocker, because they themselves are holding things up and need a distraction. Regardless of who is right or wrong here, this is an issue that is causing unnecessary friction and delaying deployments or a project (from the sounds of it).

I know its easy for me to just post this stuff and not always easy to apply to every thing in life so I hope your situation improves soon.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

NZAmoeba posted:

About a month ago, I was 3 interviews deep with Company A for a senior management position. Then they had to pause the role, as they had just gotten a new CTO and knew they'd be changing their structure/strategy, so didn't want to make any decisions on that role until they knew what they were going to be doing.

Oh well, poo poo happens, I added the interviewers to Linkedin and asked to stay in contact, as I am interested in working with them still. Especially as I have prior experience in their industry.

But now I'm about to start the interview process for an identically titled role at Company B, who appear to be a direct competitor.

I'm wondering how much I should play this, if at all. Do I tell Company B that Company A was sniffing around at me, to make me seem more desirable as a candidate? Do I tell Company A that I'm interviewing now at Company B, in a "You should hire me, or your competitor will" gambit? Or is trying this just gonna piss everyone off?

As a hiring manager myself, I've never found myself in this particular situation with a candidate. I know I've had candidates that were in the interview process with other companies, but never ones that were direct competitors. So not sure what the Recruitment teams' advice would likely to be in this case.

As long as you didn't sign not-compete or NDA i would ignore contention. Nobody has took steps to show direct interest and provide solid actionable proof of future hire so you don't have any obligation to ignore other possible jobs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Farking Bastage posted:

Took a "look im the only one working this week im either taking sick or im working from home because this is bullshit" day. Feels good.

I am actually sick this week and deeply, deeply resented saying “I’m sick” in slack today when we’re on a change freeze and there’s not a ton of work to do anyways :negative:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

SlowBloke posted:

As long as you didn't sign not-compete or NDA i would ignore contention. Nobody has took steps to show direct interest and provide solid actionable proof of future hire so you don't have any obligation to ignore other possible jobs.

Oh I'm not worried about them fighting me about it, I want to use this to get them to fight each other over me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NZAmoeba posted:

If you go three interviews into a process with one company and they go silent for a month then move on, if they can't get their poo poo together at that stage then you're probably spending the first six months waiting for a user account to be created. What's going to happen when you're working for them and need to hire people and you find the perfect candidate, are you going to feel comfortable loving them around for a month because someone above you can't make decisions in a reasonable amount of time?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Thanks Ants posted:

If you go three interviews into a process with one company and they go silent for a month then move on, if they can't get their poo poo together at that stage then you're probably spending the first six months waiting for a user account to be created. What's going to happen when you're working for them and need to hire people and you find the perfect candidate, are you going to feel comfortable loving them around for a month because someone above you can't make decisions in a reasonable amount of time?

They were pretty clear about the hiring process being put on an indefinite hold, and apologised for it happening. They didn't go silent.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

SyNack Sassimov posted:

From the beginning of my career through 2018 or so I was the "Macs do not belong in an enterprise get that poo poo out of here" guy. Executive bought a shiny Mac? I labeled him/her as a loving idiot that was making my life harder. Someone complained about not being able to access DFS file shares from a Mac? "Yeah they'll do that, sorry bud we've got a nice Lenovo ready to go when you're done with your stupid consumer bullshit".

Now with cloud management I find myself throwing up my hands when a company won't go all Mac. "You're gonna make me gently caress around with Intune and AutoPilot instead of just setting up the Mac MDM? Goddammit". And this is while we're still using JAMF (trying to switch to Mosyle) - not exactly a fun and easy MDM to deal with with its roots in a 2000s-era server product.

I had a conversation today with an employee enrolling an iPad and they made a comment that was basically “I really don’t need my laptop anymore as I plan to just use the iPad” and it got me thinking…

I’ll have some positions opening up soon (leasing agents) that will need nothing more than web browsing but having a tablet that they can tour with or pass to a client to fill information out would be beneficial. Assigning a laptop and a business premium license per individual plus a shared tablet might be excessive. Is there any glaring issues i’m missing with handing out iPads and m365 business basic licenses? We are completely m365 ecosystem.

The only limitation would be printing and Printer Logic has IOS printing support.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

is GRC at most orgs just a useless e-mail generator, or do they actually advise, construct policy, and help IT meet requirements?

App13
Dec 31, 2011

alg posted:

is GRC at most orgs just a useless e-mail generator, or do they actually advise, construct policy, and help IT meet requirements?

Depends on how hard the possible regulatory rear end-slap would be.

If the org is dealing with HIPPA, GDPR, PCI-DSS, or GxP then you’ll likely actually advise, construct policy, and help IT meet requirements.

If the regulatory or government body that would come down on your org is weak then the GRC role will be a useless email generator.

I’m in GRC for a GxP org and I do actual work; write a ton of policies, conduct internal audits, initiate investigations etc. I answer directly to the CIO and work closely with the director levels

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

alg posted:

Is Enterprise Architecture a related concept? Really helps to have standardized blueprints for workload tech stacks and how they should be built, scalable, networked etc. so application teams don’t need to re invent the wheel each time. GRC may be separate though.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The fact that it took a month to hire me really should have been a red flag ngl

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I am actually sick this week and deeply, deeply resented saying “I’m sick” in slack today when we’re on a change freeze and there’s not a ton of work to do anyways :negative:

I just realized that I'm sick as I was trying to sleep last night and I cannot tell you how exhausted I was before whatever the gently caress this is. Just put me in a coma for the next 2 weeks.

tokin opposition posted:

The fact that it took a month to hire me really should have been a red flag ngl

Sucks. :( Live and learn.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've had covid the last week and a half and I hate that I can't even enjoy how easy work is this week so far :(

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Crap man, sorry to hear that.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

God drat get your flu shots and boosters people. Not that it will save you from the other random stuff floating around. Feel better soon!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Everyone should get booster and flu shot. I have had both. But saying "it won't save you from the other stuff floating around," while true, implies that a booster or flu shot will save you from those. It helps greatly, absolutely, but they're not invulnerability magic.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm on 2 weeks pto but someone's kid coughed in my kids face over the weekend and now she's sick so cool were all doomed

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m told pediatrics is getting hit really hard this year with the flu as it’s been nearly nonexistent for the past two years and a lot more kids are getting it for the first time.

On the plus side you don’t have to worry about being charged $800 for ibuprofen because they are completely out .

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
We have a 10 week old who was sick the week before. She had a fever so a ER visit is a must. I can confirm they are indeed getting hit hard as gently caress. We had to be treated in the hallway.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

One of my kids brought something home from school. Half the school is sick including teachers. He’s been sick for over a week and the rest of the fam got ill over the weekend.

Idle script keeps status on green / laptop unlocked. Besides that, I’m doing just enough to keep the lights on. All other coworkers already took off or are following training so nobody asking questions either.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They've been ringing the alarm bells, especially for kids, for quite a while now. Healthcare is in real dire shape in the US right now. And probably for the foreseeable future. It's real bad.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cyks posted:

I had a conversation today with an employee enrolling an iPad and they made a comment that was basically “I really don’t need my laptop anymore as I plan to just use the iPad” and it got me thinking…

I’ll have some positions opening up soon (leasing agents) that will need nothing more than web browsing but having a tablet that they can tour with or pass to a client to fill information out would be beneficial. Assigning a laptop and a business premium license per individual plus a shared tablet might be excessive. Is there any glaring issues i’m missing with handing out iPads and m365 business basic licenses? We are completely m365 ecosystem.

The only limitation would be printing and Printer Logic has IOS printing support.

How do you plan to manage the ipads since intune is business premium only? Shamanism?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Inner Light posted:

God drat get your flu shots and boosters people. Not that it will save you from the other random stuff floating around. Feel better soon!

I have 5 shots including bivalent and the quadvalent flu shot we got here. Didn't stop me from getting super sick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you never have to step foot in a hospital, the vaccine is doing its job.

It sure would be nice to have complete immunity to infection, but science ain't there yet. Star Trek medicine when??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've been knocked down with a nasty upper respiratory infection right now and I rarely get sick let alone this sick.

I think things started on Saturday the 10th because I fell odd on and off throughout the day. Like, a bit lightheaded. The following Monday I felt actually kinda good until that night when I started sneezing like crazy. Then my nose was just basically plugged for the rest of the week. By Friday last week it was moving into my chest and I added coughing to the mix. Tested for COVID and came up negative (still have not had it to my knowledge). I did lose my sense of smell on Friday though and it didn't start coming back until last night. I'm finally overy the hump I think, still coughing but my nose and sinuses have improved dramatically. I didn't get any full body symptoms or extreme fatigue or anything. Just a constant feeling of congestion.

I had to have picked it up from my martial arts class, that's the only place it could have possibly been. I live alone, I haven't had any get togethers with friends for over a week, and while I did see my niece and nephew on the 10th, looking back I can see I was feeling odd before I even went up there so I doubt I got it from them. Otherwise, I'm one of those people that never stopped wearing masks in stores so I doubt I picked anything up there.

I'm just glad my sense of smell is coming back, that was really isolating feeling. Food barely tasted like anything and just knowing there were smells that I couldn't experience freaked me out.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
lmao at the assholes that decided that we are going to close on a divestiture dec. 30th and just now told IT.

My part will be easy and painless, just fire up a project in bittitan to migrate email/onedrive and mash go once they have their new mail service set up, but what the gently caress.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

SlowBloke posted:

How do you plan to manage the ipads since intune is business premium only? Shamanism?

I'm impressed with JAMF if you're going to roll this out to a lot of people. Might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Last job I used jamf to manage board ipads and room status displays (ipad minis) and it was super painless