Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Redundant posted:

Maybe I will console myself and just pick up Resistance Avalon instead.
You should do this anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
honestly sidereal kicks rear end and is a Unique Boardgaming Experience. I already have my stable of tried and true euros / city builders / dungeon crawlers / multiplayer solitaires etc. etc.

I basically only get games now that are an actual New Thing now. Sidereal confluence is one of those things. Get it!!!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
How does Side reel compare in complexity to Settlers of Catan?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for this, by the way! This'll save me some effort, so I think I'll have to use them. (DEFINITELY faster than what I did for Dominion!)

I also had a test game earlier tonight - I thought I had it in the bag, but then one event card nearly lost me the game. Clearly I can't underestimate minions, since I think it was "gang up", where Rhino and his minion nearly took me to 0HP, from full HP - drat double-tap attacks! It's pretty good though! I think that once I play another round or two, I should be able to smash out games pretty quickly, without being bogged down on the rules.

EDIT: Oh also, is there a limit on the number of support cards you can have active at a time, like with allies?

Three allies (some support cards allow you to have another one IIRC) and the other upgrades and supports have no limits.

And there’s definitely a lot of double tap attack and scheming possibilities that can totally gently caress you but that makes it fun too. I’ve played a lot solo and it’s really balanced. I’ve had a couple outlier games but most them were very tight throughout.

The game does a great job of mimicking the tension of a superhero battle.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
in every way that catan is a suitable intro game for getting your friends into board games, sidereal is not.

catan has good components, clear and obvious routes to victory to new players, no real hidden information other than the single deck of cards, a clear and accessible theme based on the tried and true staple of european colonization of a surprisingly unpopulated new world location, semi-weighted randomness due to the bell-curve effect of a 2d6, and no factions - every player is theoretically the same, coming in to the game. Mechanically it relies on very light hand management, negotiation with like 4 possible resources, and limited area control - all things players will understand coming in to the game even if they've never played a board game before.

sidereal has god-awful components, a route to victory for half of the races is best described as 'occluded', tons of hidden information based on what tech will come out in addition to hidden bids which are mission critical for many of the races in the game, a weird and inaccessible theme based on some sort of coming together of many disparate groups based on a shared desire to avoid conflict (???), a deck of tech cards which are pertinent through the whole game, like 8 different resources with certain factions introducing more and many wanting to sell off pieces of their infrastructure, and area control only involving the sheer weight and sprawl of the huge amount of cards that will be in front of you. It rules.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Impermanent posted:

honestly sidereal kicks rear end and is a Unique Boardgaming Experience. I already have my stable of tried and true euros / city builders / dungeon crawlers / multiplayer solitaires etc. etc.

I basically only get games now that are actual New Thing now. Sidereal confluence is one of those things. Get it!!!

I wanna hear about your euros, city builders, multi-player solitaire.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

I wanna hear about your euros, city builders, multi-player solitaire.

euros: Kanban, Caylus, Vinhos, Ra, Arkwright, Modern Art, Tigris maybe some others but basically those. Argent for wackier friends. TTA maybe goes here but I think if it more as a phone game now. The best phone game.

Multi-player solitaire and city-builders are the same, trick question, it's "The Colonists" which didn't do well enough to get its much hoped-for 4 age expansion but it's a great 6 to 8 hour logistics game. Also Roads & Boats but that is much less solitaire.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

in every way that catan is a suitable intro game for getting your friends into board games, sidereal is not.

catan has good components, clear and obvious routes to victory to new players, no real hidden information other than the single deck of cards, a clear and accessible theme based on the tried and true staple of european colonization of a surprisingly unpopulated new world location, semi-weighted randomness due to the bell-curve effect of a 2d6, and no factions - every player is theoretically the same, coming in to the game. Mechanically it relies on very light hand management, negotiation with like 4 possible resources, and limited area control - all things players will understand coming in to the game even if they've never played a board game before.

sidereal has god-awful components, a route to victory for half of the races is best described as 'occluded', tons of hidden information based on what tech will come out in addition to hidden bids which are mission critical for many of the races in the game, a weird and inaccessible theme based on some sort of coming together of many disparate groups based on a shared desire to avoid conflict (???), a deck of tech cards which are pertinent through the whole game, like 8 different resources with certain factions introducing more and many wanting to sell off pieces of their infrastructure, and area control only involving the sheer weight and sprawl of the huge amount of cards that will be in front of you. It rules.

i agree on everything except the theme, you can really just tell anyone nerd-adjacent, especially anyone 30+ years old (which i assume everyone here is because lol of course we are), that it's just "the federation from star trek with weirder aliens" and everyone but the most pedantic star trek nerds will understand what you mean.

also yes sidcon rules.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I went a little hard on trading for MWEs I'd missed playing/owning last year to see if anything was worthy of keeping beyond my Knizias, Splotters, Uwes, Keyflower, and Vlaadas. Here's where I landed

Got and kept:

Trajan - the only Feld I've liked after a few plays
Concordia - snappy and smart
Voyages of Marco Polo - tight and variable player powers are great
Gaia Project - pure resource optimization puzzle and more varied than TM
Neuland - unique timing and logistics
Hansa Teutonica - so simple and great confrontational interactions
Troyes - maybe my favorite dice based euro, really came together with Ladies
Reef Encounter - mean abstract and munchie fish

Got and put back in trade:

Castles of Burgundy - too bland and long
Teotihuacan - a bear to teach and monstrous iconography info load for a simple rondel dice placement game
Great Western Trail - more than the sum of its parts and fun to play but not fulfilling by the end

The ones I kept all do something unique and stand out from the current crop of MWE ennui, and make it hard for any new MWEs to entice me.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 31, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Three allies (some support cards allow you to have another one IIRC) and the other upgrades and supports have no limits.

Oh, ok - so it's two allies unless you have that support card, then? I'll have to take a look and see if I can slot it into my deck.
But drat, no limit on support cards? :yeshaha:

sportsgenius86 posted:

And there’s definitely a lot of double tap attack and scheming possibilities that can totally gently caress you but that makes it fun too. I’ve played a lot solo and it’s really balanced. I’ve had a couple outlier games but most them were very tight throughout.

The game does a great job of mimicking the tension of a superhero battle.

Yeah, it does do a good job! Like how you (or the villain) can be battered and on your last legs, but then make one last-ditch attack, which hits home and wins you the day. It's pretty good, and fast-paced once you're familiar with it all.

Countblanc posted:

i agree on everything except the theme, you can really just tell anyone nerd-adjacent, especially anyone 30+ years old (which i assume everyone here is because lol of course we are)

:D Hey now, I'm not an old person like you lot! ...*cough*I'm 29*cough*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Impermanent posted:

I basically only get games now that are an actual New Thing now. Sidereal confluence is one of those things. Get it!!!

Hello have you considered 18xx and OCS (and Napoleon's Triumph).

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Hey any Toronto goons in here up for a meetup at a board game cafe some time?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh and by the way, regarding MC again, how hard to beat is the Green Goblin, compared to the others? Since from what I gather, Rhino's the easiest base villain, while Ultron is the hardest. So should I leave Gobbo for after I can beat Ultron, or just whenever?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I take it the German version of Sidereal Confluence is language independent?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Hello have you considered 18xx and OCS (and Napoleon's Triumph).

I actually have loved the one 18xx I've played. I need to get in to OCS stuff tho

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Assuming the cards are in German I'd say it'll be playable but it'll definitely make things harder. There are only a small number of cards with game-relevant text on, but upgrading technology is based on cross-referencing cards by name and if those names are in a language you don't read that'll increase the attention required. That may not sound like a huge deal, but this is a game where attention is your primary resource.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Impermanent posted:

It also is non-aggressive in the sense that no one can go :lol: and break the poo poo you build. That's a biggie in my experience.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Is there a non expensive way to get into Arkham horror card game? I saw a review mention it was a great co op experience but a bit expensive to get everything. Can I just buy like the base game then a “season” box or do I have to pick up individual packs?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

teacup posted:

Is there a non expensive way to get into Arkham horror card game? I saw a review mention it was a great co op experience but a bit expensive to get everything. Can I just buy like the base game then a “season” box or do I have to pick up individual packs?

You buy the base game (maybe two copies if you don't want to proxy a few of the really, really good cards), then pick one of the campaign "sets." Each campaign has a main box that comes with two adventures, plus various monsters and deck-building bits. From there, you have to pick up packs to continue the story.

So, in short, no, there isn't a non-expensive way to get into it. You can play the mini-campaign in the base box a few times, although the first scenario is basically just a tutorial. Base game + Dunwich (or whatever) starter isn't too bad, and that'll keep you busy for a few evenings at least.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

teacup posted:

If you just want to try it out and you only have two-three players you can get one copy of the base game. The included campaign is only three sessions long and not well thought of, but there are a bunch of decent community-made print-and-play one-offs.

For a proper experience you'll need the base game, a campaign core box and all small packs in that campaign, though. The campaign core box only has the first two sessions of a campaign, the other six packs have the remaining six sessions.

If you have four players you will find deckbuilding extremely difficult with only one copy of the base game; even with fewer players only having one copy is quite limiting.

It's a very expensive game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There are one-off scenarios that range from not-terrible to really really cool, and if you grab one and toss it into the base Night of the Zealot mini-campaign in the base box they add a lot.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mayveena posted:

I'm not sure about the cards and stuff but the player aids and so will be in German. They are also writing new fluff and lore for all the Alien races.

Edit:

Some more Hallertau Infos:

The game is for 1 - 4 players, 90 - 180 minutes and has an age recommandation of 12+

Game will be Worker Placement. Theme will be the Hallertau region, the worlds biggest hop growing area with it's traditional 2 year crop rotation.

And according to a guy who played a prototype no puzzle mechanism.

Contents:

1 game board
18 punch boards
330 cards
300+ wooden components
1 scoring pad + 1 rulebook

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 31, 2020

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mayveena posted:

I'm not sure how that would work as the cards have titles that matter.

Sidereal is a complicated one for new players. On one side you can just focus on running your own converters and try not to worry about anything else, and it's a very friendly game, everyone wants something from someone else, there's no action blocking or anything like that. On the other side because trading is real time there's no help for the players that don't 'get it' and once you start to fall behind economically you will stay behind as the systems promote the rich getting richer.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

teacup posted:

Check eBay for someone dumping their collection?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

teacup posted:

You can try it out on OCTGN if you want to see if you like it (assuming this doesn't count as :filez:?)

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Oh and by the way, regarding MC again, how hard to beat is the Green Goblin, compared to the others? Since from what I gather, Rhino's the easiest base villain, while Ultron is the hardest. So should I leave Gobbo for after I can beat Ultron, or just whenever?

Nah, neither Green Goblin set is as hard as Ultron. The pack comes with two. Risky Business might actually be easier than Rhino, and the other one seemed to be about on par with Klaw.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of, I’m probably selling my Arkham LCG collection. It has 3 cores and the first three campaigns and Gencon event decks as well as fancy wooden bits. If anyone is interested I’ll post it in the buy/sell thread.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, I’m probably selling my Arkham LCG collection. It has 3 cores and the first three campaigns and Gencon event decks as well as fancy wooden bits. If anyone is interested I’ll post it in the buy/sell thread.

Which gencon decks? I might be interested in just those

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there a general buy/sell thread? If so, can somebody post the link? I can't seem to find it in the OP or at a quick glance at SA Mart (although it's possible I'm just missing it).

Jarvisi posted:

Getting ready to set up Root for the first time and I'm nervous about teaching it. Anyone have any tips for making sure everything goes smoothly?

I've never played it either

How did your game end up going? I just started getting into board games last year, and a friend brought over Root. He had never played it or watched it played, however, and his attempted teach was a disaster. He tried going through the demo runthrough in the rulebook, but he has a bad habit of reading just a few lines, making inferences that turn out to be wrong, and then bumbling through it. He also didn't explain what any of the components or mechanics were, so when he told me to do something with an ambush card (or whatever), I could only respond "What the gently caress is an ambush card?" This attempted runthrough lasted about 40 minutes (he realized he had missed a step and had to backtrack) before I finally cut it off and told him we weren't going to spend an hour or two playing a game with a half-assed understanding. (We were at my place, but even if we weren't, I think my dickish response would have been justified.) For more context, I had just been forced to play through Corporate America without anyone explaining what the objective was or how the different phases worked, so I was already cranky. Plus, this friend had difficulty explaining something as simple as Trash Pandas, so teaching games is not his strong suit.

The whole experience made me think I'm too stupid for heavier games and has turned me off trying them. However, it also taught me that we're in The Bad Place, because being forced to endure interminable, rambling, half-understood board game explanations is certainly one version of my personal hell.

So yeah, as long as none of this rings true to your experience teaching the game, I'd say you did well!

mellifluous fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 31, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

2 penny bottle imp posted:

Hey any Toronto goons in here up for a meetup at a board game cafe some time?

Not in Toronto but about 45 minutes West on the 401 I have a group that fairly regularly meets up for some bigger games, so if you've ever wanted to play Mega Civ/WE or Dune you're welcome to join us some time. Join the Guelph Board Gamer's Group on Facebook, that's where we do planning...

We occasionally pop into Toronto (once a month more or less) for games too and that group appears to be growing all the time.

Speaking of Civ, we had a "veterans" game of it a couple of weeks ago that was made of former winners. It was one of the most aggressive games we've ever played. We played with the special buildings from WE and I maintain they are imbalanced and should not be included at all if you're playing with serious people. I did great on tech cards but screwed up on AST advancement TWICE and it cost me the game. Did incredibly well with level 9 trade goods and in combination with Trade Empire (one of my favourite techs) was able to trade in near full sets on a constant basis.

Wackiest part was being forced into getting protection from a neighbour who bought Monotheism as one of his first big buys, which meant me having to go completely out of my "nothing beats rock" strategy of orange techs until the cows come home and buy an expensive yellow. My opponent got good use out of Monotheism but it put a giant target on his back and no one liked him for it. Another opponent tried to follow some advice from the designers regarding crazy resource card draw with high taxation and provincial empire that he did well on but felt underwhelming, ultimately.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Yakumo posted:

Nah, neither Green Goblin set is as hard as Ultron. The pack comes with two. Risky Business might actually be easier than Rhino, and the other one seemed to be about on par with Klaw.

Alright then, cool - sounds like I made the right choice by getting it so soon. Once my sleeves arrive (currently have ~90% of the base game sleeved) I'll have to sleeve the GG expac and give it a go! Should be good - I think I'm gonna be using Black Panther the most at this stage, and try out various strategies on Rhino at first.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The reason I like Arkham LCG, and why I wouldn't buy the Marvel one, is that the Arkham one does interesting things with its setup.

For example (mild unspecified scenario spoilers ahead):

There's a scenario that's a train getting pulled into a vortex, and the location cards are all in a straight line, and every couple turns a the last location card gets removed (and if you're on it, you fail).

Another has you move around a party, talking to people to get information, trying to avoid going mad or having them transform before your eyes.

Another is in a casino, and for the first half there are only human enforcers trying to stop you, before things break bad and suddenly monsters show up.

Like, I'm genuinely interested in the sorts of things they can do with there setups and such. Honestly my biggest complaint with it is simply that there aren't tiered encounter decks - it's actually one reason I really like the casino level, because you get a bit of breather to build up your equipment, fighting humans and such, before the real bads show up. I've considered doing this myself with encounter decks while doing the setup.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Those are all valid but they’re also three encounters across a total of four and a half campaigns. Yeah, they’re not the ONLY memorable ones (heck, basically all of Carcosa is as memorable as the party) but there’s also a lot of dross in there. I mean the two scenarios you mentioned from Dunwich are EASILY the highlight of that campaign, and even when they add a weird mechanic to a given scenario it often falls pretty flat (the braziers in that TCU scenario spring readily to mind as something new and interactive but super boring).

Besides, as someone who plays an unhealthy amount of AH (ask me about playing through a 4p run of Return to Carcosa in a single day/sitting) a lot of the time I frankly want something a little flashier and easier. I think there’s room for both and I really dig the way Marvel flows.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 31, 2020

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

FulsomFrank posted:

Not in Toronto but about 45 minutes West on the 401 I have a group that fairly regularly meets up for some bigger games, so if you've ever wanted to play Mega Civ/WE or Dune you're welcome to join us some time. Join the Guelph Board Gamer's Group on Facebook, that's where we do planning...

We occasionally pop into Toronto (once a month more or less) for games too and that group appears to be growing all the time.

Speaking of Civ, we had a "veterans" game of it a couple of weeks ago that was made of former winners. It was one of the most aggressive games we've ever played. We played with the special buildings from WE and I maintain they are imbalanced and should not be included at all if you're playing with serious people. I did great on tech cards but screwed up on AST advancement TWICE and it cost me the game. Did incredibly well with level 9 trade goods and in combination with Trade Empire (one of my favourite techs) was able to trade in near full sets on a constant basis.

Wackiest part was being forced into getting protection from a neighbour who bought Monotheism as one of his first big buys, which meant me having to go completely out of my "nothing beats rock" strategy of orange techs until the cows come home and buy an expensive yellow. My opponent got good use out of Monotheism but it put a giant target on his back and no one liked him for it. Another opponent tried to follow some advice from the designers regarding crazy resource card draw with high taxation and provincial empire that he did well on but felt underwhelming, ultimately.

Thanks man, Ill check it out!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

This will probably provide no new information to interested parties, but last night some of my Arkwright-loving friends played Barrage for 4 hours and they really liked it. It takes up an enormous amount of table space. After hearing a quick overview, I decided (like Impermanent above) that it's firmly in the camp of heavy Euros I don't need any more of.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Leder Games has an AMA on reddit going on

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm potentially interested in this too.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

E: Bad news about Oath

Fellis fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 31, 2020

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pretty cool, thanks for the link!

One notable thing I saw: Cole wants to do a game about Reconstruction, which sounds...fraught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That Leder AMA reminds me, how is Vast: Mysterious Manor? Crystal Caves (or whatever) was a bit of a dud because the factions were too different that we didn't clearly understand how they interacted. Did Manor fix this?