Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Where are you located?

I have Hakkepeliita 5's - they are studded but may be overkill or not legal depending on where you are. Keep in mind how much snow and how cold it stays where you are.

There are a lot of good winter tires out now. Michelin, Bridestone and Nokian I think are all rated pretty high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

Near Philadelphia. Studded tires, eh? Interesting... how do they run on dry roads?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Summer tires in snow is a horrible combination. If you had even just been using all-seasons instead of winter tires it wouldn't have been so ridiculous

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm gonna try to make it through the winter with my stock summers. It doesn't snow that horrible here very often. See you all in hell!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Mother FUCKER - looks like I've had a huge oil starve around a corner and spun a bearing. Horrible knocking noises before I shut down :(

On the bright side - if that's possible right now - shout down early enough to prevent huge damage. But whatever the case, it's engine out and major rebuild time. So.... what do I shove in this thing to make sure I dont do this again? Yeah I know I could not drive it as hard but where is the fun in that?

Maybe I should just go nuts and throw in a monster engine? Suppose that would mean a 6 speed as well..... no I think I want to rebuild, make sure this wont happen again and get a bit more power?

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
Don't buy studded snow tires unless you see a lot of ice. They are loving loud.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bull3964 posted:

Now, 210hp is certainly less than 300hp. However, this is the source of upper 200hp rumors.

They are probably still playing with the tune and haven't really finalized the output yet.

Sure they can aim for high or upper 200s for power. But even with fancy DI, it'd be pretty tough. What's the highest hp stock 2.0L motor, the F20C in the S2000? And that gets its power rating by virtue of revs and trading off torque.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cat Terrist posted:

Mother FUCKER - looks like I've had a huge oil starve around a corner and spun a bearing. Horrible knocking noises before I shut down :(

On the bright side - if that's possible right now - shout down early enough to prevent huge damage. But whatever the case, it's engine out and major rebuild time. So.... what do I shove in this thing to make sure I dont do this again? Yeah I know I could not drive it as hard but where is the fun in that?

Maybe I should just go nuts and throw in a monster engine? Suppose that would mean a 6 speed as well..... no I think I want to rebuild, make sure this wont happen again and get a bit more power?

the only thing the engine really needs until like 500whp is a set of better pistons. JE's newest stuff is my favorite, even over cosworth because it's half the price.

for oiling:

a touch more clearance on the rod journals
external cooler
bigger oil pump (08+ sti has a 1mm wider rotor)
aftermarket pan and pickup (either moroso or killer b)
accusump/accumulator
air/oil separator

worked for us at 9000+ rpm.

A slightly bigger cam and mild porting doesn't hurt either.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 30, 2011

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Flu Roo posted:

Near Philadelphia. Studded tires, eh? Interesting... how do they run on dry roads?

mattmofob posted:

Don't buy studded snow tires unless you see a lot of ice. They are loving loud.

Unless your area gets a lot of ice storms, or like in my case the streets don't get cleared more than once a winter and thus get a solid ~4 inch layer of packed snow built up I would not go with studded tires.

If you get a fair amount of dry road and want to preserve a bit of dry handling, look at "performance winter" types like a Michelin Pilot Alpin or equivalent.

Nokian also makes the WR, which is an all-season but with the winter rating. It wouldn't be the same as a true winter, but you could run them longer without worrying about excessive wear. Some people I know have them and no complaints. I think my brother runs them in Ontario (which could be a similar climate to you?).

Edit - Meant to add that yes, studded tires are loving loud.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

the only thing the engine really needs until like 500whp is a set of better pistons. JE's newest stuff is my favorite, even over cosworth because it's half the price.

for oiling:

a touch more clearance on the rod journals
external cooler
bigger oil pump (08+ sti has a 1mm wider rotor)
aftermarket pan and pickup (either moroso or killer b)
accusump/accumulator
air/oil separator

worked for us at 9000+ rpm.

A slightly bigger cam and mild porting doesn't hurt either.

5(!) other Subaru motors failed today. 5. 4 all had big end / oil surge damage, the fifth was spectaclar - had methanol injection and a line split so it sprayed methanol on the turbo.

So Autotech has a line of dead cars and there's a group order to be organised for the local buffled sump from NRG that's pretty good. And probably the rest of the kit, some highly nervous still running competitors with the extent of engine damage.

And I didnt beat my target time, that REALLY pisses me off!

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Or get a hold of one of the sumps and I'll copy it ;)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

the fifth was spectaclar - had methanol injection and a line split so it sprayed methanol on the turbo.

Does that cause an engine bay fire?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Man, I was going to whine about getting a bit of water on my MAF from all the damned puddles and having to reset the code.

Blowing a motor puts poo poo into perspective.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Timmy Cruise posted:

If you get a fair amount of dry road and want to preserve a bit of dry handling, look at "performance winter" types like a Michelin Pilot Alpin or equivalent.

I went this route (Falken Eurowinters) for Maryland area and was pretty happy. They're "decent" in the snow and surprisingly good in slush but they feel better in dry or wet conditions than the Continental Exxxxtreme Winters I was running before that.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Got the boost gauge in a couple days ago after much debauchery with the firewall. Its a Defi Red Racer. Here are some pictures. I like it alot thus far.

From (almost) my perspective while driving:

Closer:

It only gets in the way of 140+ mph so it doesn't bother me. Seems to work, I've learned a few things about the car since install.

-With VDC and TC on boost is limited in first gear in S mode. Didn't check S# yet.
-In I mode boost is limited in all gears (I know its the throttle being limited, but this is the end result).
-Boost hits ~1.1-1.2 bar before stabilizing just over 1 (which is target).

Edit: I don't know how to make these pictures smaller.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 30, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Does that cause an engine bay fire?

Edit: Answer coming soon

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Anyone have a strong opinion on brakes/suspension? I'm looking at full brake kits and coilovers for my 03 Legacy, and it seems like Brembo and Cusco, respectively, are the standouts, but Brembo doesn't make a straightforward "big brake kit" for my car (because it doesn't need it.) Is Rotora a respectable company? They have a full kit that seems to be plug and play, but I'm not familiar with the name personally.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

The Jabberwocky posted:

Anyone have a strong opinion on brakes/suspension? I'm looking at full brake kits and coilovers for my 03 Legacy, and it seems like Brembo and Cusco, respectively, are the standouts, but Brembo doesn't make a straightforward "big brake kit" for my car (because it doesn't need it.) Is Rotora a respectable company? They have a full kit that seems to be plug and play, but I'm not familiar with the name personally.

What makes you think you need better brakes (as in, replacing calipers, etc)? Have you tried different pads?

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound like a dick, honest question.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 31, 2011

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Sockington posted:

What makes you think you need better brakes (as in, replacing calipers, etc)? Have you tried different pads?

I'm planning on doing an STI swap sometime in the future. I'm fully aware that may car doesn't need big brakes now. I'm just being optimistic and trying to plan. :D

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Got the boost gauge in a couple days ago after much debauchery with the firewall. Its a Defi Red Racer. Here are some pictures. I like it alot thus far.

Is that a 52mm or 60mm? I wish they made gauges that were smaller than that - it's just a bit too big for my tastes. Looks great though - matches the cluster well. As tasteful as you can make an aftermarket boost gauge mounted on the steering column like that, imo.

I would kill for a nice, unobtrusive LED/OLED setup that would output oil temp/pressure, boost, h2o temp, and EGT, maybe wideband O2. Nothing flashy, no maker labels, just small numbers and warning lights if value x that I set is exceeded - could go over where the clock is or something.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

BobTheFerret posted:

Is that a 52mm or 60mm? I wish they made gauges that were smaller than that - it's just a bit too big for my tastes. Looks great though - matches the cluster well. As tasteful as you can make an aftermarket boost gauge mounted on the steering column like that, imo.

I would kill for a nice, unobtrusive LED/OLED setup that would output oil temp/pressure, boost, h2o temp, and EGT, maybe wideband O2. Nothing flashy, no maker labels, just small numbers and warning lights if value x that I set is exceeded - could go over where the clock is or something.

I put mine over here in my Outback:

My matching oil pressure gauge will be here sometime this week.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I bought that 02 bugeye wagon! $3900 CDN

It's a single owner-since new car with 200,000 KM on it, and he had it dealer-maintained religiously. It was in a $12,000 accident in 2003 but it looks like all the parts were replaced with OEM. Apparently the impacts were back left and front left. Rear ended into someone maybe. In any case it's awesome! A couple things I want to know about though.

I think it might be burning or leaking oil. Seemed to go through half a quart in 1,000 kilometers. Will keep an eye on it. Another thing I noticed is that when its cold, while taking off from a stop it almost seems like the clutch lets go without me letting it go and the whole car shudders until it picks up. Only does this when cold.

I also have a random misfire-feeling, once every few minutes probably. Can feel the whole driveline shutter, but no check engine light on and my fuel mileage seems to be pretty good. Overall I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I want to stick a decent head unit in, fix some interior rattles and maybe down the road put some better fog lights on, as mine are all smashed to poo.

Should be a fun winter!

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

BobTheFerret posted:

It's a 52mm. I looked long and hard for a clean, matching, small gauge. Just a little digital number would probably have been my first choice. Now that I get to see the needle moving around though I wouldn't go with anything else. My primary concern was not blocking other stuff/ having the new gauge blocked. I almost bought the SMY cluster maker jam, but saw a fair amount of pics of blockage.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

The Jabberwocky posted:

a front brake kit for a wrx will fit fine and have the right size pistons (assuming the maker of the kit cares about those things...). Rotora is not a good kit.

You should be able to get a set of coilovers for the 05-09 legacy to work. I think you just need to use your stock rear tophats.

my vote: racecomp engineering tarmac 2, stoptech brakes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MrZig posted:

I think it might be burning or leaking oil. Seemed to go through half a quart in 1,000 kilometers. Will keep an eye on it.

Check for sludge :ohdear:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Shall I?

Got a case of the SOHC blues.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

kimbo305 posted:

Well those pictures scare me. How do I go about checking for sludge without tearing off the valve covers?

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

jamal posted:

a front brake kit for a wrx will fit fine and have the right size pistons (assuming the maker of the kit cares about those things...). Rotora is not a good kit.

You should be able to get a set of coilovers for the 05-09 legacy to work. I think you just need to use your stock rear tophats.

my vote: racecomp engineering tarmac 2, stoptech brakes.

Awesome. Someone (maybe me after I figure this out) need to just assemble a list of the compatibilities between all of the cars in the Subaru line. It seems like there's enough similarity and interest in swapping stuff that it would be worth it.

Also, that ^^ is genuinely horrifying.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrZig posted:

I also have a random misfire-feeling, once every few minutes probably. Can feel the whole driveline shutter, but no check engine light on and my fuel mileage seems to be pretty good.
Clean the MAF and then check your motor mounts for damage. I had a terrible full-chassis vibration at idle that reoccurred at multiples of the idle RPM which turned out to be a bent motor mount from the previous owner.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Flu Roo posted:

Just get nonstudded performance winter tires. I love my blizzak WS70s to death but as discussed a few pages back... it's a bit overkill for PA.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

MrZig posted:

It's a single owner-since new car with 200,000 KM on it, and he had it dealer-maintained religiously. It was in a $12,000 accident in 2003 but it looks like all the parts were replaced with OEM. Apparently the impacts were back left and front left. Rear ended into someone maybe. In any case it's awesome! A couple things I want to know about though.

I think it might be burning or leaking oil. Seemed to go through half a quart in 1,000 kilometers. Will keep an eye on it. Another thing I noticed is that when its cold, while taking off from a stop it almost seems like the clutch lets go without me letting it go and the whole car shudders until it picks up. Only does this when cold.

I also have a random misfire-feeling, once every few minutes probably. Can feel the whole driveline shutter, but no check engine light on and my fuel mileage seems to be pretty good. Overall I'm quite pleased with my purchase. I want to stick a decent head unit in, fix some interior rattles and maybe down the road put some better fog lights on, as mine are all smashed to poo.

Should be a fun winter!

What up NA bugeye buddy. Your shuttering from a stop when cold is the throw out bearing. I drove my 02 for three years with it shuttering in the winter like that. Just learn to drive around it and wait till you have to do a clutch job. It's annoying but not terrible.

As for fogs, get the kartboy brackets or make your own knock offs and a set of hella 500 fogs will fit in perfect.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
No turbo Imprezass make me sad, are the pits. That seems like a decent deal though. As far as burning oil, what oil is in it? Should the 2.5RS run Rotella ?W-40 as well?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, I've been thinking more and more about the BRZ and FT68 and the power levels. On paper, 210HP doesn't sound that exciting. But at 2800lbs, it probably accelerates quicker than every non-STI WRX prior to the 265hp bump in 2009.

200lbs less than those cars could easily make up for the missing 20hp and that's not even taking into account drivetrain loss of AWD vs RWD. Now, if the Subaru ECU manages to bring those levels up to around 230 or so HP, the car could end up being a really fun thing to run around in.

Early reports of the FT86 handling (which I'm sure were hand picked quotes mind you) sound amazing. Yeah, you can easily buy a used STI for the money that the new BRZ would be, but it's an apples to oranges comparison if the chassis is really setup as well as is being claimed (not to mention we don't know what standard equipment is going to be like.)

I think at this point I would love to trade my '02 in on a BRZ and keep the new '11 as the main driving mule. Unfortunately, I don't think that would be in the cards for a few years and I wouldn't want to do that until I figure out a way to get a 2nd car under cover and not parked out in the open in my driveway.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
More info appears to have leaked, at least about the Toyota/Scion version.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2096

HP: 147kw (200ps) / 200hp @7000rpm
Torque: 205nm (151 lb/ft) @ 6600rpm
Weight: 2662 ponds (1210kg) for base manual (2580 lbs dry weight)
2706 pounds for higher trim manual

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
So much for being faster than a WRX

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's the Toyota spec, no one but Subaru knows what the BRZ spec is.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
This will be an awesome car with an EJ25 swap and a 20g sized turbo, assuming it fits.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lord Gaga posted:

So much for being faster than a WRX

If it handles and feels great to drive who the gently caress cares what it does on a drag strip? Why is the whole acceration = fast bullshit said here of all places?!?!? Hell it's got not much more weight and a lot more power than the original Sprinter(AE86) and that's no where near slow when it's wound up

Those specs BTW are pretty close (except torque, that is low) to the original WRX and no one thinks that's slow. People should get it through their heads that a lightweight (as light we can get these days anyway) car that can accept pretty much any Subaru part will be a tuners dream and the next cult car as a result.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Wrar posted:

That's the Toyota spec, no one but Subaru knows what the BRZ spec is.

I asked this earlier, but who's the last company besides Honda to get that much more than 200 out of a NA 2.0L motor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

blargle posted:

This will be an awesome car with an EJ25 swap and a 20g sized turbo, assuming it fits.
It's gonna be hilarious with 300+hp.