Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com says Warner is releasing Truffaut's Day for Night on June 14th in France. It's probably region free like most Warner releases, but hopefully it ends up in the US. From what I remember, their DVD had quite a lot of extras.

Space_Butler posted:

That's actually pretty awesome. That's definitely worth it a lot more than most of the UCE's that come out. Thanks for the info!

And the discs are all in a regular Blu case that you can store separately for easy storage. I keep the big box on the top of my shelf along with The Ten Commandments (similarly excellent in content) and King Kong.

CPL593H posted:

So if anyone is interested I know the "manufacturing error" in relation to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. The DVD included in the combo pack is in the 1:33:1 aspect ratio and it's missing a special feature that's included on the BD as well as the French and Spanish subtitles. So none of the issues are anything that effects the actual blu-ray disc. I haven't watched the movie yet, but I plan on doing so tonight. So I'll let everyone know how it looks.

It's probably a duplicate of the 2nd Vista Series DVD disc, which had both formats. For some reason, they put the extras like the commentary and documentary stuff on disc 1 (widescreen), but the shorts (all in 16x9 widescreen) on disc 2 (pan & scan).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's probably a duplicate of the 2nd Vista Series DVD disc, which had both formats. For some reason, they put the extras like the commentary and documentary stuff on disc 1 (widescreen), but the shorts (all in 16x9 widescreen) on disc 2 (pan & scan).

I don't really care about the DVD anyway. I never watch the DVD copies that come with combo packs. I figured I'd just put the word out in case anyone was concerned that there might be issues with the blu-ray.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

For those in the UK, there are rumours that the HMV 2 for 1 sale on blue cross items will start Friday instead of Monday, so it might be worth popping down if you're after a few Blu-rays, they have loads in the deal.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Aatrek posted:

Quick snap poll: of those of you who own the original Star Trek series on Blu-ray, how many of you have cracked cases?
S1 is cracked, s2 and s3 are fine but really haven't been opened much at all.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
If you're a fan of cartoons on blu-ray, Regular Show: The Complete First & Second Seasons is headed to blu-ray on August 16. This is a lone release, with both seasons collected in a single set.

quote:

The 2-disc set features all twelve first season and twenty-eight second season episodes. Extras include:

Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Naïve Man from Lolliland Student Short
8-Bit Test Monster
Hot Topic Interview
Pops Character Reading by Sam Marin
Original Drawings of the main characters
Original Post it used to pitch Regular Show
Unaired Regular Show Pilot
Sam singing Blitzkrieg Bop
JG Storyboard Pitch
Regular Show Animatic
Pencil Test Drawings
Comic Con 2010 Teaser Trailer
Music Video

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space_Butler posted:

If you're a fan of cartoons on blu-ray, Regular Show: The Complete First & Second Seasons is headed to blu-ray on August 16. This is a lone release, with both seasons collected in a single set.

I hope these do well enough for Warner to start digging in the archive. I would love to see a Blu-Ray release of The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack. It was stunning in HD during broadcast.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sporadic posted:

I hope these do well enough for Warner to start digging in the archive. I would love to see a Blu-Ray release of The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack. It was stunning in HD during broadcast.

I just wish the early seasons of Venture Bros. got the Blu-Ray treatment.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Red posted:

I just wish the early seasons of Venture Bros. got the Blu-Ray treatment.

They don't exist in HD.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

feedmyleg posted:

They don't exist in HD.

Hasn't stopped lots of anime being released on Blu.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Space_Butler posted:

There's only one thing to say to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihzp55Cuo7M

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Warner's Classic Gangster Collection (Little Caesar/The Public Enemy/The Petrified Forest/White Heat) is up for pre-order on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCGUJ5M...JKZVPJ9FCBMPR4E

$34.99 - digibook, 32 page booklet and bonus dvd with the full length documentary "Public Enemies: The Golden Age Of The Gangster Film"

- edit Regular Show preorder is also up. Only $18.36

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUAJZGY...3FF0NWE6ED0T5XB

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Mar 15, 2013

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is this Sherlock Season 1 and 2 set region-free? It's not stated there, but the Season 1 set is listed as region free while the Season 2 set is listed as region B/2. My BD player can output in 50hz, so that part isn't a problem.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Is this Sherlock Season 1 and 2 set region-free? It's not stated there, but the Season 1 set is listed as region free while the Season 2 set is listed as region B/2. My BD player can output in 50hz, so that part isn't a problem.

My copy doesn't say anywhere on the packaging, but Blu-ray.com says they are both region-free.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
A big-ol' in-depth review of the new "Star Trek: Enterprise" Blu-ray set, if anyone's interested: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/review-star-trek-enterprise-season-1-blu-ray/

quote:

Show producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are brutally candid about Enterprise's troubled inception, with Berman recalling how he "begged" the studio to wait after Voyager and Braga evoking memories of being daunted and exhausted during the first season. Braga is especially engaging as he shares some wonderful memories of developing the show, revealing that Season 1 was originally going to be set entirely on Earth! You can't help but laugh at the end as Braga finally 'fesses up to finding the theme song "embarrassingly bad", a thread which will be picked up in the "In Conversation" piece later on.

The creative struggles that faced the show are finally illuminated in a far more honest light than we've ever seen before. Even lead actor Scott Bakula admits that the writers were exhausted during the inaugural season. Brannon Braga is a delight to watch here as he says what many fans have thought for a long time, and takes responsibility for what didn't work.

I couldn't help but empathize with Braga as he laments that none of the writers lasted through the first season and how he was forced into frantic rewrites of most of the shows that season. Having him literally go through a list of episodes was a stroke of genius, and produces hilarious results as he writes off shows such as "Terra Nova" as "terrible, f**king terrible" and "Aquisition" with "There was no excuse for the Ferengi. It was an act of desperation."

"In Conversation" for me, is the pièce de résistance from this set. Producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga sit down together for a full hour to address some of the more contentious issues which fandom has debated for years. The piece starts off innocuously enough with the two discussing the ideas behind Enterprise and the cast, but quickly heats up as Braga turns to Berman and asks "Do you realize Rick, that some fans say we killed the franchise?"

What follows is a fascinating insight into studio and network politics and the daily obstacles the producers had to overcome to keep Star Trek going. Rick Berman's story about the unnamed network executive's failure to understand what is meant by the ship's hull is hilarious, but also poignant as he recalls realizing that they were fighting a losing battle to keep Star Trek on the air.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 16, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Hey there, does anyone have any good sources to find out what quality (SD or HD) a digital copy included with a Blu-Ray is these days? It seems somewhat random whether it is HD or not. Some discs even have SD iTunes and HD Ultraviolet/CinemaNow versions. Sometimes I like the convenience of just playing movies on my appleTV or whatever.

I found a spreadsheet with some listed but it's not too up to date:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhvHZp29ZPvidEdqUlJLc3FXa3U3dFlEV3dBZFhTSmc

Also, what's the BD player to get these days? Something that has Netflix and can play HD mkvs from a NAS would be ideal. I have a PS3 but it's getting a bit older (original fat one), is noisy, gets hot and doesn't have an IR port for a universal remote. One of the ~$100 blu ray players would be great.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

priznat posted:

Hey there, does anyone have any good sources to find out what quality (SD or HD) a digital copy included with a Blu-Ray is these days? It seems somewhat random whether it is HD or not. Some discs even have SD iTunes and HD Ultraviolet/CinemaNow versions. Sometimes I like the convenience of just playing movies on my appleTV or whatever.

I found a spreadsheet with some listed but it's not too up to date:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhvHZp29ZPvidEdqUlJLc3FXa3U3dFlEV3dBZFhTSmc

Also, what's the BD player to get these days? Something that has Netflix and can play HD mkvs from a NAS would be ideal. I have a PS3 but it's getting a bit older (original fat one), is noisy, gets hot and doesn't have an IR port for a universal remote. One of the ~$100 blu ray players would be great.

It depends on what features you're looking for, but at this point you can get a nice Sony player for around 100 dollars.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Last Emperor received an OAR release in Japan. Way too expensive for me ($45+) but it includes both cuts of the movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney has a a trio of films coming on June 11th according to Blu-Ray.com

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (plus Atlantis: Milo's Return)
The Emperor's New Groove (plus Kronk's New Groove)
Lilo & Stitch (plus Lilo & Stitch 2)

and Universal is putting out Midway, The Shadow, and Earthquake as bare-bones releases on June 4th. Thankfully, they're only $14 on Amazon right now and at least have DTS HD-MA 5.1 tracks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm so happy with this news. Rick Steves' Europe: 2000-2014 is getting a Blu-Ray release in April.

It was my favorite show to watch back when I had cable and access to HDNet.

quote:

New Blu-Ray: In April we'll have our classy new Rick Steves' Europe: All Blu-ray Collectors' Edition Box Set. This 12-disc set includes all 70 of the TV shows and specials we've shot in hi-def. If you have a Blu-ray player, this is the way to go. Travel has never, ever looked this good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJcYYB3j5w

Preorder is only $69.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BY6XM36...8WMA2QZHH6T9RWD

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 22, 2013

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Hey, if I do a pre-order through Best Buy, will the discs deliver on the release date, like Amazon's preorder process?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Aatrek posted:

Hey, if I do a pre-order through Best Buy, will the discs deliver on the release date, like Amazon's preorder process?

Nope, they ship on release date, as far as I recall. But you could do in-store pickup.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Aatrek posted:

Last time I pre-ordered a movie from amazon... I forget which... they shipped it on the release day, but they made it available for me to stream the same day. I liked that compromise. Are they doing that with all pre-orders, now?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If anyone was holding on on Jurassic Park until they could get the stand alone blu-ray without the other two movies, now's the time. It's out this week.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Sporadic posted:

I'm so happy with this news. Rick Steves' Europe: 2000-2014 is getting a Blu-Ray release in April.

It was my favorite show to watch back when I had cable and access to HDNet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJcYYB3j5w

Preorder is only $69.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BY6XM36...8WMA2QZHH6T9RWD

I only ever watched that show ironically, it was hilarious to see this milquetoast Ned Flanders-esque guy take the blandest tourist trips possible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hatter106 posted:

I only ever watched that show ironically, it was hilarious to see this milquetoast Ned Flanders-esque guy take the blandest tourist trips possible.

I bet you'll get an even bigger kick out of it after finding out that Rick Steves' is far away from Ned Flanders in his personal life. When he's walking around Switzerland rambling about buying cheese, just imagine him smoking a big bowl off camera beforehand.

But his show was a godsent compared to the other HDNet travel shows of "QUICK CUTS BLAH IN YOUR FACE CHICK IN A BIKINI SCREAMING AT THE SCREEN" variety.

It also looked great. I tried to watch it on Hulu awhile back but it's unwatchable when in SD.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

If anyone was holding on on Jurassic Park until they could get the stand alone blu-ray without the other two movies, now's the time. It's out this week.

What, and miss out on both The Lost World and Jurassic Park 3: I Dunked Myself In Pissssss?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Jurassic Park 3: I Dunked Myself In Pissssss?

No one here is interested in your goddamn fanfic.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

CPL593H posted:

No one here is interested in your goddamn fanfic.

It really captures the essence of the film, though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

CPL593H posted:

Thanks! Added. Now for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

LloydDobler posted:

Now for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Nice to know I'm not alone on that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Any tips for good movie stores in NYC? Can't get Criterion blus and their like easily over here, so be nice to hit up a good little place and pick up a title or two. Independent always preferable, otherwise a chain will do in its place. If they carry other cool oddities, that's always a bonus - I'm hoping to have time to pop into Jerry Ohlinger's if we have time, it sounds a cool place.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I'm pretty sure Kim's retail location on/near St. Mark's is still open. They have a huge selection of films, including a Criterion section.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Kim's is on First Avenue between St Mark's and 7th St these days.

Other than them the best place to get Criterions in your hands right away is B&N (the Union Square one has a large selection) but Kim's I think will usually have a few bucks knocked off the price.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I watched my copies of Deathtrap and The Hudsucker Proxy over the last few days and aside from very light film scratches near the beginning for Hudsucker, the picture looked fantastic, better than some full-scale releases. So, this is probably a surprise to nobody in this thread, but Warner Archive is doing a great job on their Bluray transfers. I look forward to keeping an eye on whatever else they put out.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Straight from Mark Romanek's Twitter:

quote:

OneHourPhoto Blu-ray release date is May 7.

This is one of my favourite movies of all time, I am beyond stoked :dance:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

leokitty posted:

Kim's is on First Avenue between St Mark's and 7th St these days.

Other than them the best place to get Criterions in your hands right away is B&N (the Union Square one has a large selection) but Kim's I think will usually have a few bucks knocked off the price.

I just realized that I forgot all about J&R near City Hall in terms of indie shops. They have good home video prices and selection.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Hatter106 posted:

Oh snap I will have to pick this up. Absolutely loved this film from the moment I first saw it. That cover is pretty great also.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Hatter106 posted:

Oh poo poo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Hang 'Em High - $4
(look under "more buying choices" if you don't see it from Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TJ1GYW...G6R5YP7ASAHKGCG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I bought the Continuum Season One blu-ray set when it came out last Tuesday and there's one thing bugging me about it. It seems like between 0.5 and 2 seconds have been cut at the beginning and end of every segment. It's most noticeable when the music starts to swell like it's about to go to commercial and right when the music's in the middle of playing, it suddenly jumps to the next segment with no gap. Anyone else seen this?

• Locked thread