Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Most of the people I'm aware of who will be departing are connies who kind of suck anyway so :byewhore:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Secretary Mayorkas just gave us Friday off.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Beerdeer posted:

Seems nice, but I値l take burning annual on Friday over ever working for a DHS agency again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Lucky. We get 2 hours early dismissal on Wednesday but no time off Friday. 😢 I知 still debating whether to take PTO though.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Get on the 4 10s train for every Friday off. Choo choo!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Work for uncle sam for fifteen years to get eight hours of annual per pay period and a crushing sense that you've wasted your time. :negative:

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

sexy tiger boobs posted:

The real galaxy-brain move is alternating Mon/Fri off on a 4-10. Every other weekend is a four day weekend. Plan ahead, and you can get your Mondays off to fall on a holiday for a 5 day weekend. Then watch your productivity plummet because 10 hour work days are terrible.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I once worked 50/30 and 30/50 when I realized I could have almost a week in a row off once a month that way without taking any time off. If you are going to suffer, at least suffer well

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I've thought about doing this but then I would have to stay at work for 10 hours every day. I start when it's pitch black out and I'd be leaving after dark if I stayed 10 hours, and the thought of spending all of my daylight hours at work is a little depressing. Then again, I used to have a 4/10 at a different job and I loved it, but I also had a long commute and it was pretty hard physical work so I needed the extra day off. We just need the 32-hour or less work week to become standard.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I'd love a 4/10 schedule, but I work from my home office with a coffee pot and personal laptop within reach.

Doing 4/10 at a job that involved standing, bending, lifting, carrying, and constant public contact years ago was excruciating.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Man, I'd just be happy to get a GS 05 job :smith:

please get me out of the United States Postal Service

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
I hate 4/10 Alternate Work Schedule (AWS) people in my office because they never seem to be available when they are most needed. Good for them though.

In other news, I've been approved for my transfer. Leaving competitive service a month before my probationary period is up to go into excepted service with a new probationary period. I hope this transition will be worth it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Loucks posted:

I'd love a 4/10 schedule, but I work from my home office with a coffee pot and personal laptop within reach.

I知 going back on it after the new year. 6-4:30 M-Th, and everyone else is offline after 2:30.

I致e done it before and have found that the 3 day weekends really help me avoid burnout. And I知 completely burned out right now.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

When I was on 4/10s I liked having Wednesdays off, as a worst case scenario, tomorrow is always Friday.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rakeris posted:

When I was on 4/10s I liked having Wednesdays off, as a worst case scenario, tomorrow is always Friday.
This was my preferred schedule because working two days in a row at most felt like an entirely sustainable lifestyle

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Off two hours early today, and I get Friday off too. I'm gonna spend it grunting and rolling over.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

Man, I'd just be happy to get a GS 05 job :smith:

please get me out of the United States Postal Service

hopefully a massive purge of antivaxers will be the answer to your prayers

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Thesaurus posted:

hopefully a massive purge of antivaxers will be the answer to your prayers

It probably won't. I just moved to Pittsburgh last April, and unlike Philadelphia there just aren't many fed jobs I can apply for.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I realize it may be impractical (or functionally impossible depending on your family circumstances) but being willing to move from Seattle to Vermont was the only way I finally got anywhere in federal hiring the first time.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Quarex posted:

I realize it may be impractical (or functionally impossible depending on your family circumstances) but being willing to move from Seattle to Vermont was the only way I finally got anywhere in federal hiring the first time.

I just moved from central Wyoming. I'm good.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Star Man posted:

I just moved from central Wyoming. I'm good.

Your going to miss out on all those horse wrangler jobs now!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oooh, sounds like 20% of the holdouts complied in the last two days! Still sounds like there could be ~250,000 people getting fired in January though. We can only hope! Byebye!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oooh, sounds like 20% of the holdouts complied in the last two days! Still sounds like there could be ~250,000 people getting fired in January though. We can only hope! Byebye!

Why am I not even remotely surprised USDA is the least vaccinated?

I'm trying to make the jump from a GS 5 to something I can actually live on, so maybe this'll work out for me.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

It probably won't. I just moved to Pittsburgh last April, and unlike Philadelphia there just aren't many fed jobs I can apply for.

Keep your eye out for GS 5/7/9/(11) contact or claims representative positions with the SSA, if you think you could stomach that line of work. Pretty low requirements to get in at GS5

SSA also has a higher rate of non compliance with the vax mandate.

Maybe a lovely foot in the door at IRS as contact representative? 5400+ vacancies across the countryz including Pittsburgh:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/605956800

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 25, 2021

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I love the loving United States Postal Service, and the United States Postal Service loves loving me.

"Come in at 4 am. You just need to accept the Amazon and throw it. Shouldn't be there for more than four hours."

"What about UPS? Are they not coming today?"

"No, because we can't deliver it tomorrow, but sometimes they surprise us."

"Are we not getting MBS tomorrow?"

"We shouldn't be."

The UPS parcels that didn't get thrown on Wednesday:

Thursday's mail (first truck)

Fuckin liars. This was exactly what happened to me last year at my old office in Wyoming. Next mail truck comes at 7 am and I'm waiting for Anazon to roll in.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Star Man posted:

I love the loving United States Postal Service, and the United States Postal Service loves loving me.

"Come in at 4 am. You just need to accept the Amazon and throw it. Shouldn't be there for more than four hours."

"What about UPS? Are they not coming today?"

"No, because we can't deliver it tomorrow, but sometimes they surprise us."

"Are we not getting MBS tomorrow?"

"We shouldn't be."

The UPS parcels that didn't get thrown on Wednesday:

Thursday's mail (first truck)

Fuckin liars. This was exactly what happened to me last year at my old office in Wyoming. Next mail truck comes at 7 am and I'm waiting for Anazon to roll in.

I知 sorry bro. USPS is one do the most important jobs that people take for granted.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Thesaurus posted:

Maybe a lovely foot in the door at IRS as contact representative? 5400+ vacancies across the countryz including Pittsburgh:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/605956800

I know there's a few people with this specific job on these forums. From what I've heard in my office, they'll take anyone that meets the requirements since the job has like a 70% attrition rate in the first year.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

sullat posted:

the job has like a 70% attrition rate in the first year.

Unsurprising. It's a rough gig and my understanding is that training has gotten much worse in the last few years.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Howard Phillips posted:

I知 sorry bro. USPS is one do the most important jobs that people take for granted.

I got all of the UPS last-mile parcels and four pallets of Amazon parcels thrown. Then I did all the breakdown of all the flats that were delivered to my office, which was the presorted stuff that comes in tubs, a half gaylord of bundled flats, and two pallets of catalogs. And all I had time left to do was some housekeeping to tidy up the area.

The total drop of first class and priority parcels for Thursday from both MBS drops is four gaylords, three bulk mail carriers, and two cages. I didn't have time to do anything with those but get them ready to be opened up and thrown on Friday. When I go in at 5 am tomorrow, there will be all of that plus whatever mail we get for Friday.

There are two clerks out on vacation, and I have to do a split shift of 5 am to 9 am, then 1 pm to 5 pm. It's going to be fuckin awful tomorrow.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

I got all of the UPS last-mile parcels and four pallets of Amazon parcels thrown. Then I did all the breakdown of all the flats that were delivered to my office, which was the presorted stuff that comes in tubs, a half gaylord of bundled flats, and two pallets of catalogs. And all I had time left to do was some housekeeping to tidy up the area.

The total drop of first class and priority parcels for Thursday from both MBS drops is four gaylords, three bulk mail carriers, and two cages. I didn't have time to do anything with those but get them ready to be opened up and thrown on Friday. When I go in at 5 am tomorrow, there will be all of that plus whatever mail we get for Friday.

There are two clerks out on vacation, and I have to do a split shift of 5 am to 9 am, then 1 pm to 5 pm. It's going to be fuckin awful tomorrow.

Dang dude that poo poo sucks.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Volkova III posted:

Unsurprising. It's a rough gig and my understanding is that training has gotten much worse in the last few years.

I know that all of SSA HQ in Baltimore is salivating at the idea of killing field offices and going phones-only like IRS did a few years back. I expect it to happen one day.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Volkova III posted:

Yeah and the standards are very high so if you don't meet their somewhat arbitrary criteria you get cut ruthlessly just before you end the probationary period.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
I wonder if the "Great Resignation" movement is starting to hit the government as well. A lot more folks in my agency have rolled out over the course of the year.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I do like the holiday we have today, save for my supervisor constantly messaging our duty phones asking if anybody can work today. Kind of a buzzkill.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sullat posted:

Yeah and the standards are very high so if you don't meet their somewhat arbitrary criteria you get cut ruthlessly just before you end the probationary period.

So should I apply or should I stay away? Because that sounds bad

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

So should I apply or should I stay away? Because that sounds bad

If you want an easy foot in the door, then yes. Just be prepared. There was a poster in this very thread that was driven mad by the IRS's arcane and byzantine procedures.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sullat posted:

If you want an easy foot in the door, then yes. Just be prepared. There was a poster in this very thread that was driven mad by the IRS's arcane and byzantine procedures.

I would like an easy foot in the door. I can't get into anything laterally as a postal worker because we're an entirely different animal. I just don't want to get into a job that I'm going to absolutely hate.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

not sure what standards sullat's referring to, the standards on the AM 1040 line are "follow the IRM" and maybe "what could be a free point we're holding out for people who provide some extra labor". the IRM can be arbitrary as hell and it's never fun to talk people through weak promises and poo poo timeframes, but it's emotional and mental labor rather than physical. I don't remember what the call review amount looks like during the probationary period exactly, but once you're established enough it drops like a rock. with the bullshit you're going through I would say that I definitely would consider my job an upgrade, you'll be paid more and be less physically hosed even though you still may not feel like you're paid what you're worth and be exhausted by the misery parade

as for the training, it's bad, but if you can get like, an A or A+ on the pre-hiring test they send, you'll probably survive because you'll have natural skill and affinity that'll let you get to the actual crash course of callers. it's about finding and following directions at its heart. the trainers will probably tell you this, even if they can't teach all of what that skill requires exactly; the training itself won't get in the way of that even though it won't give even loving basic practical poo poo that might lessen the need for OJIs afterwards if it were implemented

sullat posted:

that was returns processing that made Discendo Vox take a sabbatical, not call center work tyvm

returns processing.... if you go there, I'd probably tell you about the same thing I told DV, do your best and just accept that there's going to be a lot of stupid that doesn't have proper direction you will need help with. most of the time this does not happen on the 1040 line but it happens enough that I'm okay with just having to give up on figuring it out by myself; it's not gonna be great for that to be the norm, it'd probably make me somewhat insane too, but if you end up good at it that's probably a nice ticket to two digit GS (unlike my call center where I'll be stuck at GS 7 if I don't either go into management or go somewhere else)

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 27, 2021

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
GS 05 pays slightly less than what I make as a postal support employee (non-career clerk craft). But the difference is getting put into full-time right away, or at least much sooner, than waiting around for a part-time flexible position to open up or for some lifer at my office to finally die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

sullat posted:

dude was a weiner, IDRS isn't that hard

The issue with an IRS customer service job is going to be much more on the customer-service side of things, IMHO, although there's a learning curve for the technical elements. I've never worked in Accounts Management, but my understanding is that it's pretty challenging; you've got a high volume of calls, and the people calling in are going to be some combination of confused, distressed, and angry, either because they're in a real financial emergency or because people just hate taxes. Entry-level IRS positions are a great route into federal employment, but I think these require you to be really good on phones and with customer contact, so they may not be the best choice. That said, like I mentioned, I don't work in AM -- I think someone in the thread does, so maybe they can chime in?

EDIT: Got beaten. I. M. Meen's the expert here.