Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Khisanth Magus posted:

Dunno, were the old ones made well and the new one designed-by and built-by people like the ones behind the F-35? Its not like new is always better when design and work are going to the lowest bidder.

"What if the literal best case scenario was what I wanted and the literal worst case scenario was what you wanted, Huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's not a false dichotomy, the Keystone XL project is explicitly about providing an alternate route to the Keystone Pipeline that already exists.

You are wrong.

Not an alternative, an expansion. It is literally in Transcanda's plans that phase 3 of the Keystone project (aka Keystone XL) will be a large expansion of capacity. Besides, phase 1 (aka "the keystone pipeline) was completed in 2010. So your argument that phase 3 will replace old leaky pipe doesn't work even if Transcanada wanted to make less money for no reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This has been getting absolutely no attention on a national level, but North Dakota's Amendment 1 is a stealth 'Personhood Amendment' that is so vague it could force in-vitro fertilization clinics to close down. Polling right now shows it has enough support to pass.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/23/3583437/north-dakota-personhood-ballot/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The new lines will at least be piggable unlike some old lines where ECDA surveys are the only option. Keystone XL is also going to have a lot more depth of cover than the Chevron line that spilled into the Yellowstone river (the name escapes me), that line went because of excessive erosion of the river bank during flooding, a major problem if you're under 10 feet of rock, not a problem if you're 70ft below the river.

One thing that is exactly right is that the people that operate the line are not the companies that build it or inspect it. The operators contract that work out to companies that only do those things. Unfortunately we know what happens when you don't have effective oversight of contractors...

Corrupt Politician
Aug 8, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

This has been getting absolutely no attention on a national level, but North Dakota's Amendment 1 is a stealth 'Personhood Amendment' that is so vague it could force in-vitro fertilization clinics to close down. Polling right now shows it has enough support to pass.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/10/23/3583437/north-dakota-personhood-ballot/

I always hear about personhood bills potentially outlawing noncontroversial things like fertility treatments, but wouldn't such a law just be selectively enforced by a conservative government if it were enacted? I mean, is there actually an anti-in-vitro lobby that would sue to enforce something like this?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Corrupt Politician posted:

I always hear about personhood bills potentially outlawing noncontroversial things like fertility treatments, but wouldn't such a law just be selectively enforced by a conservative government if it were enacted? I mean, is there actually an anti-in-vitro lobby that would sue to enforce something like this?

No one would insure the clinics if this passed as its something illegal so they'd have to shut down.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

It wouldn't be enforced against anyone because it's far too vague to outlaw anything.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Not only would it be impossible to get insurance, you have the power structure backwards. The state government couldn't force everyone to ignore a law; any local DA who happened to be opposed to IVF on religious (or whatever) grounds would be completely empowered to go after a clinic.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Nintendo Kid posted:

Which leaks less? Old, sometimes half a century old, pipelines with little opportunity for full shutdown and refit + rail and road transport or new pipelines which will allow rerouting around the existing ones?

Actually, the really old pipelines are pretty good because when they were designed we didn't know about what sort of stresses they'd need to deal with so they were over-engineered to hell and back.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Istvun posted:

Actually, the really old pipelines are pretty good because when they were designed we didn't know about what sort of stresses they'd need to deal with so they were over-engineered to hell and back.
See also the Mars Opportunity Rover, which is on Sol [Martian day] 3821 of its 90 Sol mission, has cover a distance of 40.78 Kilometers of its expected 0.600 Kilometer range on Mars, and has survived multiple massive Martian dust storms that were supposed to leave its solar panels coated with dust and kill it.

See also Voyager 1 and 2, which were launched in 1976 and are not only still transmitting data, they're bringing back data about the edge of our solar system.

What I'm trying to say is that NASA is the king of over-engineering, and that they should be in charge of the Keystone XL pipeline, and over-engineer it to hell.:colbert:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

fade5 posted:

See also the Mars Opportunity Rover, which is on Sol [Martian day] 3821 of its 90 Sol mission, has cover a distance of 40.78 Kilometers of its expected 0.600 Kilometer range on Mars, and has survived multiple massive Martian dust storms that were supposed to leave its solar panels coated with dust and kill it.

See also Voyager 1 and 2, which were launched in 1976 and are not only still transmitting data, they're bringing back data about the edge of our solar system.

What I'm trying to say is that NASA is the king of over-engineering, and that they should be in charge of the Keystone XL pipeline, and over-engineer it to hell.:colbert:

totally

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Istvun posted:

So are modern pipelines.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good to hear. That means we should finally get that 5-4 decision overturning Roe v. Wade within 5 years.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

In Massachusetts, a Boston Globe poll has Charlie Baker up 9(!) points over Martha Coakley. http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/23/baker-pulling-away-from-coakley-new-poll/t1UAIVNm4FWE9i31bf6YTM/story.html

It's gonna happen again, isn't it? :sigh:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
TPM has a nice piece up on the implosion of the GOP's once-strong chances to pick off a Democratic Senate seat in Oregon:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/monica-wehby-collapse-oregon

quote:

The Spectacular Implosion Of The GOP's Senate Hopes In Oregon

BySahil Kapur
Published October 24, 2014, 6:00 AM EDT 1157 views

Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley really did not want to run against Monica Wehby.

She had the résumé of a formidable challenger: a pediatric neurosurgeon, a pro-choice mom in socially liberal Oregon, and a Republican woman to rebut the Democratic talking point about a GOP "war on women." The subject of a friendly front-page New York Times profile in March, she went on to attract accolades from Mitt Romney and national Republicans, and outside money from conservative entities like the Koch brothers.

Another reason the first-term senator was concerned: his favorable ratings were hardly stellar.

"He polls like a generic Democrat. There's no great groundswell that Merkley is a great guy and we should reelect him," said Jim Moore, a professor of political science at Pacific University. "With a weakness like that, Wehby on paper looks like she should be a great challenger."

Democratic operatives set out to tarnish her in the primary in the hope that Republican voters would instead nominate a far-right candidate. They failed.

And yet, in a stroke of luck, Wehby turned out to be a dream opponent for Merkley anyway. Her campaign has — slowly and painfully — self-destructed due to scandals and stumbles, making the once-concerning Oregon race a rare bright spot in a slog of an election year for Democrats. Eleven days away, she's down 21 points in the latest major poll, and needs a miracle to win.

So, how did it all go wrong?

It started with a May 16 report that she had been accused of "stalking" her ex-boyfriend last year and trying to enter his house without permission. She survived the primary four days later; a week later, a report surfaced that her her ex-husband also accused her of "ongoing harassment" in filings to police. Then came revelations that her health care plan was plagiarized from Karl Rove's group. Pouring fuel on the fire, her new health care plan was also found to be plagiarized — from her former GOP opponent, whom she dispensed with by attacking him on health care.

Perhaps most damaging was her tendency to go underground when facing fire.

"The key moments were not necessarily the actual whiffs of scandal around Monica Wehby. They were her reaction to those whiffs of scandal," Moore said. "They took three to five days to come through. So something would happen and there would be a deafening silence. Or in one case there would be a flippant remark like, 'Dr. Wehby is busy in surgery saving children.' So even if the voters weren't following the actual whiffs of scandal, they certainly had a feeling that the campaign kind of disappeared when put under pressure."

"You can look at a résumé all you want — she's not doing the basic stuff you have to do to win a statewide race. Her campaign management looks to be borderline incompetent," he said.
:unsmith:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

More polls with Nunn ahead today. Wtf is going on in Georgia?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

One word: Atlanta

It's a growing and increasingly diverse and cosmopolitan city, and it's getting big enough that it's starting to crowd out the tradition rural-shitkicker population that usually dominates Georgia elections. Fast forward another couple of election cycles and imagine what that does to the GOP's chances of getting 270 electoral votes.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I'm sure by now you've deleted your email client to stop the flood of money begging spam from political parties and candidates. I reached that point months ago, but this one slipped through today and I actually stopped to read it:

SFC posted:

Fellow Conservatives:

According to recent polling, the U.S. Senate race between conservative Joni Ernst (R-IA) and liberal Bruce Braley (D-IA) is within the margin of error.

Harry Reid (D-NV) and his liberal allies have been dumping millions of dollars into this race to destroy Joni Ernst, but she's holding strong.

However, she will lose if conservatives don't take action to help her.

Early voting begins today in Iowa and the Democrats are using their ground game to get people to vote by mail for Braley.

Please make a contribution to Joni Ernst's Senate campaign today.

Iowa Showdown: Braley vs. ErnstThis is one of the most important Senate races in the country.

The outcome in Iowa will not only decide whether we have another extreme liberal in the Senate or a strong conservative who will fight to stop the spending and debt. It will also determine whether Harry Reid and the Democrats continue to control the Senate.

The Republican establishment is spending millions to save weak incumbents like Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Pat Roberts (R-KS) – money that is not available to help conservatives like Joni Ernst.

We need to help her. We can't let her lose because Republicans in Washington value spineless Republicans over conservatives.

Please donate something – any amount – to Joni Ernst's campaign.

The Senate Conservatives Fund pays all processing fees so 100% of your donation to Joni Ernst goes directly to her campaign.

Unlike other groups that claim to support candidates, SCF gives you a direct line to the candidates. You can donate directly to multiple candidates with one online transaction, and the candidates know your donation is coming from someone who wants them to fight for conservative principles.

We only endorse select conservatives who ask for our support. These candidates want SCF's endorsement because they know we're serious about raising funds for their campaigns.

If every American who receives this email donates just $5, we can raise enough to push Joni Ernst over the top in this competitive race.

Please answer the call today. The election is in less than two weeks!

Thank you for fighting for the principles of freedom that make this country great and for helping us change Washington by changing the people we send there.

We're grateful for your support!

Sincerely,

Ken Cuccinelli II
President, Senate Conservatives Fund
Former Attorney General of Virginia

P.S. Please forward this email to your family and friends so they can help us take America back!

Senate Conservatives Fund (SCF) is an independent, grassroots organization that advocates for conservative policies and helps elect principled leaders to the U.S. Senate. SCF was founded by former Senator Jim DeMint and has helped elect courageous fighters like Ted Cruz (R-TX), Mike Lee (R-UT), and Rand Paul (R-KY).

The Republicans are so fractured they're fighting each other, and yet they're still going to win the Senate.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 24, 2014

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I want Kenny Cooch to run over and over again in Virginia, and lose and lose and lose again. I want to see him run for Fairfax Water and Soil Conservation Board and lose.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Teddybear posted:

In Massachusetts, a Boston Globe poll has Charlie Baker up 9(!) points over Martha Coakley. http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/10/23/baker-pulling-away-from-coakley-new-poll/t1UAIVNm4FWE9i31bf6YTM/story.html

It's gonna happen again, isn't it? :sigh:

Here is what I don't get...Martha has been going real hard this year, made a decent case for herself, and hasn't made any mistakes. This loving state.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Meanwhile, the tea party in Michigan are this close to calling Rick Snyder gay.

http://thebainreport.com/governor-snyders-gay-advocate-puppeteer-wants-your-help/

Actually, it's Dick DeVos mouthpiece Greg McNeilly who's gay. I can't help but find it ironic that the tea party is screaming "HE'S GAY!" yet they have these graphics on their website.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

She's still below 50% which means a runoff that she would have hardly any chance of winning.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Nunn is not going to win, don't get excited.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/stateroundup/gov-rick-scott-wont-show-for-deposition-but-will-attend-fundraiser-instead/2203484

quote:

TALLAHASSEE — Gov. Rick Scott is planning not to appear today for a deposition in a lawsuit he filed in California to block the release of information about Google email accounts used by him and his executive staff.

Attorney Steven R. Andrews was prepared to put the governor under oath in Tallahassee, but Scott's communications director, Frank Collins, said Thursday that "there is not going to be a deposition tomorrow." Scott's lawyers asked the judge to quash the deposition but, as of late Thursday, they hadn't received an answer.

Scott is instead expected to attend a fundraiser at the Biltmore in Coral Gables, featuring former Gov. Jeb Bush, U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio and Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera.

However, if the governor is a no-show for a deposition in a case he initiated, it may not be without consequences.

According to California's rules of civil procedure, the governor must submit to the deposition today unless he has received the court's permission to change the date, said Walter Clark, a trial lawyer who practices in Southern California.

If Scott fails to submit to the deposition, the judge could hold him in contempt and make him pay damages, according to California law.

"You can't just not show up at a deposition and say we'll talk about it later," Clark said. "You have to ask a court for relief."

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
goddammit martha coakley

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
PPP has the Maine Governor's race tied

Goddammit, Maine. Sometimes, Dem is better.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Does everywhere have only poo poo human beings running for office, or is the US particularly good at scaring decent people away from positions of power.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cheekio posted:

Does everywhere have only poo poo human beings running for office, or is the US particularly good at scaring decent people away from positions of power.
A cynical person would say that political office and positions of power are not necessarily synonymous in the US.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Apparently Joni Ernst is dodging the Iowa press in favor of softball interviews on Fox. Unfortunately, I don't think this'll hurt her :sigh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dan Patrick has been making a reasonable effort to stay out of the news whenever possible (other than a modest dose of ad-strafing), presumably on the grounds that if he talks for long enough he'll say something horrible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Riptor posted:

goddammit martha coakley MASS Democratic party.

Corrected.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So my buddy who works for ProgressNC has been having a ball squatting on candidates' domain names for state races.

https://www.mikestonenc.com and https://www.michelepresnell.com are both under their control and they loaded up a pretty decent-looking template for each of them blasting their positions on public education in the state among other things.

Mike Stone's been tweeting about it. A bona fide Liberal Hate Group®

edit to add: they loaded the site in August, the campaign has had it on their literature since then, and only just noticed. :laffo:

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 24, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So there was another gubernatorial debate in CT last night, and unlike the other ones, this debate was actually aired by a major network station. Something was conspicuously missing though, namely Republican candidate Tom Foley. It wasn't Malloy sitting in an empty room though, tea party petitioning candidate Joe Viscotti was also invited and in fact attended, which resulted in governor Malloy in fact endorsing Viscotti

http://ctmirror.org/malloy-endorses-visconti-some-exclusions-may-apply/

quote:

Had he attended, Foley would have seen Visconti, a former Republican councilman and Tea Party activist, vigorously challenge the Democratic governor on fiscal responsibility and gun control, then write off Foley as a candidate too vague and too timid on the issues to be elected.

Malloy evidently thought Visconti made a good case.

Deadpan, he endorsed Visconti over Foley in his closing remarks.

“If you believe that I was wrong about guns, then this is the guy, Joe Visconti, that you should be voting for,” Malloy said, sitting next to Visconti on a stool. “If you believe that I’ve been wrong on some of the other issues Joe’s been talking about, then he is the person you should be voting for, not Tom Foley.”

Foley found an alternative venue, assisted by a rival station, WFSB, Channel 3. While Malloy and NBC gave Visconti 60 minutes of free television time, WFSB gave Foley a solo shot on “Face the State,” taped at their Rocky Hill studio to air Sunday morning.

WFSB says it didn’t intend to steal NBC’s thunder: It invited Foley and Malloy to each tape Face the State over the last two weeks of the campaign, and the show’s regular taping time is 7 p.m. on Thursday.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How many candidates running for senate are tea party "patriots

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

whitey delenda est posted:

So my buddy who works for ProgressNC has been having a ball squatting on candidates' domain names for state races.

https://www.mikestonenc.com and https://www.michelepresnell.com are both under their control and they loaded up a pretty decent-looking template for each of them blasting their positions on public education in the state among other things.

Mike Stone's been tweeting about it. A bona fide Liberal Hate Group®

edit to add: they loaded the site in August, the campaign has had it on their literature since then, and only just noticed. :laffo:

Does anyone remember noted leftist hate group 4chan?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Pew has a graphic of potential voter demographics for this year

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Nintendo Kid posted:

So are modern pipelines.

Nah, not really.

VVVVI linked an article upthread describing the shoddy construction found throughout the Keystone XL. They may be engineered to hell and back, but they are constructed by retarded monkeys.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spun Dog posted:

Nah, not really.

You have a problem with ASME B31.4 and B31.8 or with enforcement?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Engineering typically expects regular maintenance schedules and upkeep efforts to be made, but regulators don't have a lot of teeth to enforce proper maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Having lived in Iowa, this might actually hurt her. People read the local stuff.

• Locked thread