Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

alright jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It's not like Jews don't have a history of self deprecating humor. Though having it in a show where most people don't know the creators are Jewish doesn't help. That being said you could argue that every famous Jewish comedian played on tropes that would be seemed anti semitic by outside observers.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

It's not like Jews don't have a history of self deprecating humor. Though having it in a show where most people don't know the creators are Jewish doesn't help. That being said you could argue that every famous Jewish comedian played on tropes that would be seemed anti semitic by outside observers.

There's a big difference between 'here's some satire playing on common Jewish stereotypes' and 'hey, this money-grubbing bad guy? Jewish! hah!'. I'm not even saying the creators are antisemites, I'm talking about the work itself. Something can be anti-semetic even if done by a Jew, like Yaakov Kirschen's 'Cuckoos in Our Nest' cards about the evil perfidious anti-zionist Jews. Though Yaakov is intentionally malicious in that case.

e: somehow had a horrible brainfart and didn't write the middle of a sentence, added text is in italics

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 22, 2019

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Which borscht belt comedians are antisemitic

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I mean one of the Southpark guys is Jewish for Christs sake and they pretty much single handedly introduced antisemitic stereotypes to a whole generation of young people.

RWS cites their Jewish employee when they published this.

Katt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 22, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Katt posted:

I mean one of the Southpark guys is Jewish for Christs sake and they pretty much single handedly introduced antisemitic stereotypes to a whole generation of young people.

RWS cites their Jewish employee when they published this.

The bigger crime here is RWS making a Postal 4 after 3 was total trash

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Madkal posted:

Yep:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/LahavHarkov/status/1210304962741362693?s=19

Bibi faced a leadership challenge that he shipped to victory in.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
And Saar was pretty the only 'serious contender' from the right side of the map for a long while, he was the dark horse everyone assumed would one day muster the balls to take on Netanyahu and maybe possibly win. There's literally no one else in Likud who isn't deep in Bibi's pocket.

Lol, I guess.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Literally nobody thought that Sa'ar would win. Even he only hoped for a ~30% of the vote - he's looking to get himself a place in the post-Bibi Likud, not now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I would expect about the same numbers for a GOP Primary right now if the GOP actually allowed it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hey remember when we at least hoped Gantz would not be as bad as Bibi

https://twitter.com/barakravid/status/1219589321885392897?s=21

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hey remember when we at least hoped Gantz would not be as bad as Bibi

https://twitter.com/barakravid/status/1219589321885392897?s=21

lol how cynical

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'd honestly respect him more if he promised to kill Netanyahu and dress up in his skin to become the right-winger israel is apparently crying out for.
I still would vote for the joint list of course, I'd just respect him doing something other then following Bibi's playbook.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
So has anything moved forward with the bribery allegations against Bibi? Is it likely to see any movement before the next set of elections, or will there need to be another split vote/non-Likud majority for him to actually have to stand trial?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BougieBitch posted:

So has anything moved forward with the bribery allegations against Bibi? Is it likely to see any movement before the next set of elections, or will there need to be another split vote/non-Likud majority for him to actually have to stand trial?

Despite desperate attempts to stall and pressure the Knesset chairman to stop it, a committee to review Netanyahu's immunity was formed and will start discussions January 30th. I think there should be a majority for removing his immunity and forcing him to stand trial, but who knows.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Despite desperate attempts to stall and pressure the Knesset chairman to stop it, a committee to review Netanyahu's immunity was formed and will start discussions January 30th. I think there should be a majority for removing his immunity and forcing him to stand trial, but who knows.

Wait, why does he have immunity? Wasn't a big part of this whole to-do that he was going to use any majority he got to give himself immunity? Is this just him throwing out some bullshit to stall the process?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BougieBitch posted:

Wait, why does he have immunity? Wasn't a big part of this whole to-do that he was going to use any majority he got to give himself immunity? Is this just him throwing out some bullshit to stall the process?

It's the latter, mostly.

Netanyahu does not currently have immunity. However, members of the Knesset have the right to request that the Knesset grant them immunity, and the criminal proceedings against them are put on hold until the request is first evaluated by a Knesset committee and then voted on by the whole Knesset.

However, because of the failure to form a new government, the Knesset committee that has to evaluate the request does not currently exist, and normally wouldn't be created until a faction finally manages to gain a majority and form a government. Bibi's hope was that this would remain the case, essentially putting the prosecution on hold until either he or his opponents won a clear majority.

Because of that, the month of January has been tied up with procedural and legislative maneuvering, which ultimately led to a victory for Bibi's opponents - the necessary Knesset committee will be formed as early as next week, and will begin to consider Bibi's immunity request.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
looks like the Forward is at it again!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh poo poo, he has a PLAN!?

I have absolutely no doubt that if anyone can somehow gently caress up the region more than it already is Trump can.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The last I heard, the plan was to annex Palestinian land and get the Jordanians to help resettle Palestinians or some poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last I heard, the plan was to annex Palestinian land and get the Jordanians to help resettle Palestinians or some poo poo

So far, the plan has been to offer economic incentives as a bribe to get the Palestinians to say something positive about Trump's peace efforts, with the "political" part of the peace plan to come later. That's presumably what's being teased now.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
just give it a chance

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The cylons had more of a plan than Trump.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Argas posted:

The cylons had more of a plan than Trump.

The cylon plan was less of a disappointment compared to its buildup than Trump's will be.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The cylon plan was less of a disappointment compared to its buildup than Trump's will be.

by the way, in case you missed the awful "The Plan" movie, the cylon plan was... wait for it... "let's kill all the humans"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lum_ posted:

by the way, in case you missed the awful "The Plan" movie, the cylon plan was... wait for it... "let's kill all the humans"

No, no, why did you spoil it, now it'll completely ruin the experience.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

“In the business world, when I was back in the business world, when a deal was tough, people would jokingly refer to it as, ‘This is tougher than Israel and the Palestinians getting together,’ ” Trump said as he welcomed Netanyahu for an Oval Office briefing on the secretive package. “And that’s what I’ve heard all my life, and so we’ll see what happens. We have something that makes a lot of sense for everybody.”

Trump predicted that “we will ultimately have the support of the Palestinians” but also appeared to confirm expectations that the White House proposals are generous to close ally Israel. “That’s a plan that Bibi, maybe, and his opponent, I must say, they have to like very much,” Trump said, calling Netanyahu by his nickname.

“There are a lot of goodies in there for the Palestinians — a lot — but by no means all of what they have long sought,” one of the people said.

“They have within their grasp a state” if they meet certain security and political benchmarks, that person said.

Trump said many Arab states have signed on to his approach. “They like it. They think it’s great. They think it’s a big start,” Trump said, without identifying any by name. “I think it’s a big start, too. I think it’s a fantastic thing if we can pull it off. They say it’s probably the most difficult deal anywhere and of any kind to make.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6617_story.html

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nebalebadingdong posted:

looks like the Forward is at it again!

"Give Trump <insert here> a chance" is the solar-hottest up to date take on the current events possible in the year 2020. What is this, literally about the 3500th chance for the guy? I think...that's enough, internet columnist. That's enough chances.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So, Netanyahu has forgone his right to request immunity and subsequently Mandelblit had filed the indictments with the police, Netanyahu is now officially under indictment and the criminal trial can now proceed with no further interruptions from the knesset or the government attorney.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So, Netanyahu has forgone his right to request immunity and subsequently Mandelblit had filed the indictments with the police, Netanyahu is now officially under indictment and the criminal trial can now proceed with no further interruptions from the knesset or the government attorney.
So is he still allowed to run in the forthcoming election under indictment?

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Trump's on a trial (not impeachment, sadly - but election). Israel is in no position to try any sort of plan - there's no government, there's still an election(s) to be had, and Bibi's going on a trial (finally!). Palestine ain't liking this plan, so they're gonna refuse. So, good chance that there's no reason to care for the plan - the clock'll run out before anything happen.*
Of course, it is not the point of the plan, to happen - the point is that Trump's trying to help Bibi (or himself).

E:*unless Trump wins AND nobody's changing their tone. But in this case, we all have bigger problems than this small, dusty country.
So - don't screw up again, americans.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 28, 2020

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

So is he still allowed to run in the forthcoming election under indictment?

Yes, Israeli law will only prohibit Netanyahu from running to the knesset once he is found guilty and his appeals have been settled, until that point there is no legal mechanism that stops him from running.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gun Jam posted:

Trump's on a trial (not impeachment, sadly - but election). Israel is in no position to try any sort of plan - there's no government, there's still an election(s) to be had, and Bibi's going on a trial (finally!). Palestine ain't liking this plan, so they're gonna refuse. So, good chance that there's no reason to care for the plan - the clock'll run out before anything happen.*
Of course, it is not the point of the plan, to happen - the point is that Trump's trying to help Bibi (or himself).

E:*unless Trump wins AND nobody's changing their tone. But in this case, we all have bigger problems than this small, dusty country.
So - don't screw up again, americans.
I don’t believe the Palestinian authorities have had any involvement with these negotiations, right? I think it’s just the US, Israel, and the Saudis?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So if I'm understanding the pundits, this is a brilliant move because it makes the Deal of the Century that Bibi Helped Bring About With His Best Friend Trump the center of the election, rather than the immunity discussion in the Knesset. And he did this right after Gantz left for Israel to participate in the immunity debate, so he won't be getting the same credit.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

'Clever girl'

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here's the thing, though: right-wing media (as in Makor Rishon and rightwards) is already up in arms about leaks that there are parts of the plan that give the Palestinians a (laughable fragmentation of a) state, so this might not actually go his way at all.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So if I'm understanding the pundits, this is a brilliant move because it makes the Deal of the Century that Bibi Helped Bring About With His Best Friend Trump the center of the election, rather than the immunity discussion in the Knesset. And he did this right after Gantz left for Israel to participate in the immunity debate, so he won't be getting the same credit.

only bibists give a crap about this narrative, no one really thinks Ganz is a dunce for prioritizing voting in the Knesset and I doubt anyone thinks Netanyahu is anything other than petty and inconsiderate in 'manipulating' Ganz like this. Ganz did what he had to do, and he also looked better than Bibi in the photo-op.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Does that mean Bibi thinks he can beat the rap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Here's the thing, though: right-wing media (as in Makor Rishon and rightwards) is already up in arms about leaks that there are parts of the plan that give the Palestinians a (laughable fragmentation of a) state, so this might not actually go his way at all.

Oh yeah, they're up in arms like crazy.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/275223

quote:

"If the deal is a Palestinian State in exchange for sovereignty - cancel the deal!

"This is not a deal – it is a honey trap.

"We have no mandate to relinquish any part of the Land of Israel," the Sovereignty Movement emphasized.

And that's BEFORE the list of illegal outposts that will have to be dismantled is made public.

Dropping a "peace plan" that both the Palestinians and the settler right reject unconditionally immediately is just peak Jared Kushner.

(Of course, the far right expect a 100% one-sided 'peace deal' where Israel annexes the entire West Bank and the Palestinians politely cease to exist)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 28, 2020