Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Idk but I just ate some 2017 ones and they were fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Alone in the house with the dog today so I made a warm sardine and kimchi salad with tomatoes from the garden:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
what's a good brand of sardines preferably smoked that do not have bones in them. I can't eat bones because of stomache issues. My go to for canned fish is kipper snacks.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you like kippers there's really no reason to seek out sardines. But any brand of repute (King Oscar, Wild Planet) that has a boneless variant will still be good

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Costco has boneless seasons in oil that are at a really good price point.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

PokeJoe posted:

I had some cod liver and I gotta say, I didn't like it
I think that's common, I wanted to like them but I just really couldn't.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Costco has boneless seasons in oil that are at a really good price point.
Regular whole Seasons in olive oil are quite good except for them leaving the scales on, so I bet the boneless ones are good.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 17, 2023

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

I had some cod liver and I gotta say, I didn't like it

I think it has potential, but it needs to be made into pate. Otherwise it's just straight up canned liver, which isn't bad...but it's just not awesome.

Off the top of my head, I'd:

Sautee in 2 Tbs of butter:
4 cans of cod liver, mostly drained
1/2 shallot. minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 tsp fresh tarragon, minced (omit if you don't like tarragon)

Sautee until the shallot has clarified

Then I'd puree that in a food processor, adding an additional:
4 Tbs of butter (room temp, diced into 1/2" cubes)
1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
Calvados, Applejack, or Laird's Apple Brandy (Probably 2 to 4 Tbs)

Pulse to puree until it's evenly ground, then add in the liquor 1 Tbs at a time until the mix gets smooth and spreadable, but not so much that it's runny.

e: gently caress it that sounds pretty good. I'm going to do that this weekend and post a trip report.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 18, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's a good brand of bonelesss and skinless sardines I could get preferably smoked. I prefer smoked fish.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hollismason posted:

What's a good brand of bonelesss and skinless sardines I could get preferably smoked. I prefer smoked fish.

Get kipper snacks instead as they fit your desired requirements of boneless, skinless, and smoked.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It’s hard to go wrong with any kipper snack brand too. Even like dollar store beach cliffs that they can’t call kipper snacks (they are labeled herring fillets ) are decent enough.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Cholula is wonderful on kippers. Crack a tin, drain the water, pour in cholula, and eat with fork or cracker.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Water?!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The #2 ingredient on the kippers in my cabinet following herring is water.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Water is fine for kippers.

Incremus
Aug 7, 2003

Oh no, I'm so sorry, it's the Moops.

To everyone ITT singing the praises of the Matiz with piri piri:
:yeah:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So earlier this week I threatened promised to make some pâté out of cod livers.

Well joke was on me because Job Lot was all out of cod livers and nowhere else around here carries them.

But you know what? Naw. I wasn't going to let that keep me down. I did find a can of Season jarred anchovies in olive oil--and that got me thinking what else I had in the pantry at home. So allow me to present:

Pantry Sweep Pâté

After searching through the cabinets I assembled:

2 Cans of Smoked Vienna Sausages
2 Tbs of chopped Season brand Anchovies
1/3 cup of chopped Red Onion (left over from taco night, approximate amount)
2 big cloves of Garlic (or 4 kind of wimpy ones, since that's all I had on hand)
2 tsp dried Thyme
2 tsp dried Rosemary
2 tsp fresh cracked Black Pepper
4 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Stick of Butter (diced)
Avocado Oil (in a spray can to lube up the skillet)
3 Tbs Mellow Corn whiskey

Note that I did not add salt. Between the viennas and the anchovies, there was plenty of sodium already.

I got the skillet hot and added in the onion to start clarifying in a little avocado oil while I opened the sausage tins and got the weenies chopped up. Then they went into the skillet and I gave it a stir and cooked them until they started to brown. Next, I got the garlic and anchovies minced, and then added them along with the olive oil and herbs to the mix. Everything got really fragrant and herbacious and the dogs started getting real interested in what was going on.

So once that had browned to my liking, I put that into the food processor and pulsed it a few tomes to get a coarse chop going. Then I added in the butter and let it puree while I drizzled the whiskey into the mix.

I put that into a glass dish and let it set up in the fridge overnight. The result? A pâté that cost me maybe ~5 dollars and is way better than it has any right to be. I cut a baguette, spread some on, and sat and watched it rain this afternoon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Please confirm that the dogs got a bite of sausage.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Weltlich posted:

3 Tbs Mellow Corn whiskey

Oh no...
looks really good other than though

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Please confirm that the dogs got a bite of sausage.

ccc

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

mellow corn is fine and produced under federal license

it doesn't really taste like whiskey but it's fine and it's totally perfectly fitting for a vienna sausage pate

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh produced under federal license well in that case!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

returning triumphant from the woods I supped on a can of seasons, some yellow onion, half a garden tomato, a little garlic salt and some bernstein restaurant recipe italian dressing all barely contained within a hoagie roll

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That sounds awesome and I have not been to the woods recently

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

you should go to the woods. that's were the trees are

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

and birds!

and birds...

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The only thing that calls me more deeply than the woods is the ocean, where I'm from and also sardines

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
https://youtu.be/mbrWJlQg-jo

I’m sorry if this has been posted before

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Mushrooms green peppers spinach and jalapenos, cheese, extra cheese, cheddar cheese, no sauce... Hmm. Definitely sounds better without the chovy/sausage combo

Get this tinned small fish hater 'dine thread! Attack!!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tinned fish thoughts...

I like sardines because they're delicious and low sodium, especially compared to anchovies which I like too but are way too salty. You know, I don't even know where you can get an anchovy pizza anymore. I've tried ordering and no one has them.

You know what's the best, though? Smoked oysters.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i sawr a yourtube where a guy was, for a week, only eating what he could win from crane games. long story short he had plenty to eat including canned mackerel. why? why cant i go to the arcade and gamble for fish

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mulaney Power Move posted:

You know, I don't even know where you can get an anchovy pizza anymore. I've tried ordering and no one has them.
What? Are you American?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://twitter.com/nanatchi22/status/1690796763488100352

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

What? Are you American?

I think he only tried Little Caesar's

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
In Detroit, they pronounce it with a hard ‘C’

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

little kaiser's

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

:hai:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Illegal Hen

Here in Ketchikan, Alaska they got a lot of canned salmon.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that better be the best can of crab in the world for that price

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Looks like it's all Wildfish cannery. You won't do much better for pricing on their website, but their salmon is damned good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Good Alaskan seafood is basically the best in the world.