Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gammatron 64 posted:

A lot of them just appear to be dumb tasks that aren't particularly fun like finding frogs that also don't seem to have very good rewards.

There's a ribbon at the end of that quest chain.

You should probably consult a guide for the last part of it, though, because that one is kinda bullshit.

Dino's is the one that annoys me the most because the rewards tend to be behind the curve for where you should be by the time you can reach the quest marker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I wonder if this is why everyone that has the cid glitch has that issue

No idea, but probably. I double checked my inventor and I definitely have everything he's asking for, the flags just aren't registering for him to take them.

Now I'm going to have to go look up where each thing is and go find them again - assuming I can. I need a Rusted Bit, Coereil(?) Whiskers and a third I can't remember off the top of my head.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I wonder whether the flag is made before or after accepting the quest for those items because I have already had the items needed in my inventory before starting the quest and he took everything so far like that (ultima blade, the rest at 2)

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Man, that Elder Coeurl quest was bullshit, was it just me or do they tend to heal themselves back to full health after a while?

I ended having to focus on each one while spamming Bow+Overwhelm when I got the chance and healing when I was building the meter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He definitely didnt give a poo poo in my game. Talk to cid, immediately dump the item on him without moving.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Just because the quest objective turns to "give x item to Cid" doesn't mean you have it. Are you sure you actually have the required item? I thought I had it too, but I had sold it because all the treasure descriptions only mention how much they'd sell for.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Dancing Peasant posted:

Man, that Elder Coeurl quest was bullshit, was it just me or do they tend to heal themselves back to full health after a while?

I ended having to focus on each one while spamming Bow+Overwhelm when I got the chance and healing when I was building the meter.

When they run away and lie down, they heal themselves. They will also counterattack you with a OHKO move when they're in this state. When they do this it's best to nuke them with magic, or use techs like overwhelm.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wait why am I wearing a hazmat suit apparently spattered with blood?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Akuma posted:

Wait why am I wearing a hazmat suit apparently spattered with blood?

Don't know. Are you performing legally questionable work alongside a cantankerous chemistry teacher?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get the 500k gil item in altissa? I want to pick up a few of these so I am not so strapped for cash.

Also I just got to altissa, about how many hours of the main story do I have if I just run through it? (I'm level 60)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to get the 500k gil item in altissa? I want to pick up a few of these so I am not so strapped for cash.

Also I just got to altissa, about how many hours of the main story do I have if I just run through it? (I'm level 60)

Somewhere around 5.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's not a pain in the rear end at all, it's just not super interesting because it's generally 30-50 minutes of baby's first pinball.. You just wanna trigger the four chances at the slots you get per group of monster waves ASAP by hitting the close bumper repeatedly, then kill things ASAP. It helps to have the Dark element monster because he isn't weak to anything and the Water element monster because the boss is always Fire. Whenever bosses come out, use L1/R1 to select a ball other than the one you have out and use Square to make them use their special. They'll then be out for like ten seconds of the fight. Getting all four balls out there wrecks the boss nice and fast.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's pretty easy but time-consuming. I'd say it took maybe 30-50 minutes when I grabbed it, and I hadn't played it before.
You've got maybe 6+ hours if you sprint but don't quote me on that.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gammatron 64 posted:

It was the mobile port.

For me, FF6 is a tossup between the original SNES and GBA versions. The SNES one has better music by a long shot, but the GBA one has additional content and corrected spell\equipment names but the music is awful.

I'd say the Anthology version is the worst, because it has huge load times. It takes forever just to open up your menu.

There sadly isn't a "definitive" version of the game, unless you get an unofficial repro of a romhack that unfucks the sound on the GBA game.

See my point against the GBA version is they fixed all that poo poo. Maybe I have too much attachment to it but there's a charm in the spelling and renaming of things. Also the bugs. I want any remake to have the SNES bugs. :colbert:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Ignis is doing his best impression of a Cactuar.

Ignis is not very good at impressions.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I thought the sewer dungeon was bad, but there's a special place in hell for whoever designed Costlemark Tower. What a loving slog that was. Nothing better than having so many enemies on the screen that you can't even find your character in the chaos. Ramuh was sick of pulling my rear end out of the fire so he left me to deal with the three red giant room which I don't know how you're supposed to clear beyond burning healing items and waiting for your spell to cool down.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

J-Spot posted:

I thought the sewer dungeon was bad, but there's a special place in hell for whoever designed Costlemark Tower. What a loving slog that was. Nothing better than having so many enemies on the screen that you can't even find your character in the chaos. Ramuh was sick of pulling my rear end out of the fire so he left me to deal with the three red giant room which I don't know how you're supposed to clear beyond burning healing items and waiting for your spell to cool down.

Enjoy having to do It again when you get the hunt for Jaberwocky. Which I just had to do. Of course there is no quick warp to the elevator. Oh no. I had to do the whole loving "puzzle" again and even at level 80 it's a slog of gravity spam.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

JetsGuy posted:

See my point against the GBA version is they fixed all that poo poo. Maybe I have too much attachment to it but there's a charm in the spelling and renaming of things. Also the bugs. I want any remake to have the SNES bugs. :colbert:

And that's fine. It all boils down to personal preference. There isn't really a "definitive" version of FF6 in my book.

That said, I'm pretty fond of the GBA versions of 1-6 because I managed to actually play through them all to the end. (Except for 3 because it doesn't exist.) I'd say that the GBA versions of 1 & 5 are pretty close to being "definitive". Maybe FF2 as well, but I dunno, FF2 kinda sucks no matter what you play it on.

I never could beat the DS versions of 3 and 4, though. I just wasn't crazy for them.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

J-Spot posted:

I also went through most (?) of Costlemark Tonight.

Took a few trips through the party room and didn't have all that much trouble. A half-dozen Elixirs per attempt, although getting stuck in a constant cycle of enemy attacks when one of the Red Giants is very close to death and you just want a good clean opening to finish the bastard off is kind of annoying. Total tally of consumables used is 25ish Elixirs, and a small number of Megalixirs, Mega Potions, and Phoenix Downs. It's nice not to have to worry about holding back.

I'm not sure what to do next though. Every down elevator except for the exit causes the party room to respawn and gently caress going through that any more times than is strictly necessary. One of the elevators also doesn't seem to activate. Wonder if that's related. Would bash my head against that wall for a bit longer but I gotta go to bed now.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I think the dumbest mechanic in the game is losing max HP from being hit. From going into Danger, I understand. But just being hit? That's retarded.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

JetsGuy posted:

As a point of personal preference I'd play the SNES or Anthology version. I don't know if it was in the mobile or GBA version but at some point they decided to make the character sprites all cartoony and dumb. Which is really jarring considering they don't fit in the game world anymore.

I don't know that (basically) more pixels made the art style not fit anymore, but to each their own.

GoGoGadget posted:

I think the dumbest mechanic in the game is losing max HP from being hit. From going into Danger, I understand. But just being hit? That's retarded.

Not every hit does that, though, it's only certain guys you need to watch out for for that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm not sure what to do next though. Every down elevator except for the exit causes the party room to respawn and gently caress going through that any more times than is strictly necessary. One of the elevators also doesn't seem to activate. Wonder if that's related. Would bash my head against that wall for a bit longer but I gotta go to bed now.
Some of the routes have branches, and one of those branches leads to the Jabberwocky. Check every wall/floor panel that might move for contextual commands.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There are these weird cuts/fades to black in Kingsglaive that make me think it was an attempt at dumping ballast by taking a bunch of cutscene-driven story off the team's shoulders and sending what was basically the Ikea version of a movie over to Sony so that they could shape a pre-game opening act around the story of the fall of Insomnia instead of making the overworked game dev team have to create a FF8 Laguna-style sideplot where you're switching between playing as the Noctis gang and the Nyx gang to advance the story. Like the game was planned to have opened with the part where ol' Regis tells Noctis to :frogout:, then zipping back to the kingsglaive part where you have to fight through the empire's army and find the ring and hold back the demon long enough for Luna and Seth Rogen to get out of the city, then it sends you back to Noctis for the trip to Altissia.

I mean there's almost no substantive plot beats until you run into Titan so they just dropped a highly developed combat system into that open world segment, threw in a bunch of mankrik's wife sidequests to thicken it up, and stapled the second and third acts on the rear end end of it before sending to the publishers. It's like you chould have learned the combat stuff as Nyx, fought your way out of a shattered city, and the entire open world part would have been less open as you progressed to the parts where the story gets linear again. You'd still have the travel pauses to get the sidequest fix in but the main idea was probably to do it in the post game dog portal world.

Can't say I would have liked that version better, the sidequests and banter are the best part of the game even if it was an eleventh-hour ad-lib to get something out the door as the studio ran out of money.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Not every hit does that, though, it's only certain guys you need to watch out for for that.
To me, this was actually the worst mechanic. Here I am being told by the game that I only lose max HP after being downed and then suddenly I'm in a cave and some random poo poo is making me lose my max health, without downing me, to the point I have to leave and come back later and I have no indication as to WHY this is happening or how to prevent it. Little did I know elixirs are super common in this iteration.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DaveKap posted:

To me, this was actually the worst mechanic. Here I am being told by the game that I only lose max HP after being downed and then suddenly I'm in a cave and some random poo poo is making me lose my max health, without downing me, to the point I have to leave and come back later and I have no indication as to WHY this is happening or how to prevent it. Little did I know elixirs are super common in this iteration.

Dark damage lowers max hp

You're welcome

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I have a problem fighting big mechs

Mainly with the party dying and not noctis

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I don't know that (basically) more pixels made the art style not fit anymore, but to each their own.

This is an argument I have heard before and I don't understand it. Yes, the character sprites are higher res than the game was. That doesn't mean that it's better. It's, in my opinion, far worse. They are cartoony and bright and in general change the look of the characters. It's jarring and basically turned them into an anime.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i traded ffxv for the witcher 3 and man it really underscores how thin ffxv's sidequests are

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here's the dark secret: FF has always been anime

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Tae posted:

Here's the dark secret: FF has always been anime

No... no https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFT083GhycM

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

i traded ffxv for the witcher 3 and man it really underscores how thin ffxv's sidequests are

While playing FFXV I can't stop myself from thinking of similar games, most of which happen to be better.

Like, I would get flashbacks to FFXIV, Red Dead Redemption, Elder Scrolls, the Batman Arkham games, MGSV and so on. (I dunno if I'd say MGSV is better, though.) Maybe I'm jaded, but I keep getting this nagging sense that I've played this game before, and it was executed better then.

It's kind of interesting how after FFX, many of the Final Fantasy games began chasing other popular games. Final Fantasy XI was an EverQuest clone. XII took XI's gameplay into single player. XIV started off as its own thing, but it was a disaster and is now a WoW clone. I'm not saying this is bad per se, because FFXIV is probably the best WoW clone in existence, and during its time, XI was very impressive.

In fact, the games that weren't copies of something else, namely XIII and XIV 1.0 were complete unmitigated disasters.

I kind of get the sense that SE just doesn't know what to do with the Final Fantasy series. They abandoned turn-based combat and have desperately trying to keep the series relevant by chasing after fads in gaming instead of focusing on its bread and butter.

...A part of me is expecting Final Fantasy XVI to be a MOBA.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The ATB era was the most era gameplay wise, let it go

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Anyone else hear about this supposed interview where Tabata says they want to patch in multiple endings and add in a custom character to pal around as another party member?

I was okay with the DLC announced and the possibility of adding cutscenes to make things like Ravus more fleshed out but this is too much. He's going full Nomura and must be stopped.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah, agreed. The game has a plot; clarifying it and expanding on it is fine, but loving around with the already-established events and retconning poo poo in and out of existence isn't the way to go.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Epi Lepi posted:

Anyone else hear about this supposed interview where Tabata says they want to patch in multiple endings and add in a custom character to pal around as another party member?

Where's my gondola date with either Iris, Aranea, or Gladio, Tabata!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Epi Lepi posted:

He's going full Nomura and must be stopped.

lol

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Epi Lepi posted:

I was okay with the DLC announced and the possibility of adding cutscenes to make things like Ravus more fleshed out but this is too much. He's going full Nomura and must be stopped.

Pretty sure the custom character idea is for the multiplayer DLC

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm all for more content but the one thing that seems weird and unnecessary is having a player created avatar character added in so far after the fact. All I really want to do is be able to swap in some of the guest characters, have them all be a little more fleshed out movement and technique wise, and be allowed to control them. It would be icing on the cake if they could then do something for some of the more boring Royal Arms and guns to make Noctis feel a little fresher again but I'm not holding out hope for that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Nina posted:

Pretty sure the custom character idea is for the multiplayer DLC

What I saw said he wanted to expand it into the actual main game as well. I didn't see a direct transcript, just one of the billions of Final Fantasy "News" youtube channels summarizing the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think the issue is that Japanese developers are now looking to western games for inspiration but aren't actually gleaning any useful knowledge besides superficial information. I'm sure they understand why there is an appeal to open world design but they don't get how to make it work mechanically. To me the majority of the issues with FFXV are a result of the protracted development cycle and the fact that the dev team couldn't decide what direction the game should go in. There's pieces of several good game design philosophies in FFXV but they're all stitched together without knowing how the individual pieces relate to each other.

• Locked thread