Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

stay the gently caress away from my birthday you egg-headed shite

e: https://gfycat.com/tatteredcooperativecanine

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ms Adequate posted:

I thought the Tories were fearful that a December election would suck for them because all the olds would be like "bit nippy out, don't fancy that much. Think I'll stay in and reminisce about the Blitz, which I endured having been born in 1951."?

Old people will crawl through glass to deliver their vote of spite

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

well here's the question - would those die hards be the ones who'd be voting BXP this election anyway?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I thought the Tories were fearful that a December election would suck for them because all the olds would be like "bit nippy out, don't fancy that much. Think I'll stay in and reminisce about the Blitz, which I endured having been born in 1951."?

Need to time it just right to hit the time the students are all going home for Christmas to maximize oopsie looks like you registered in the wrong constituency

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Conventional wisdom is that this kind of thing hurts labour more but who the gently caress knows with this election. vote splitting all over the place.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Seems we can't blame the Libs for QS passing.

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/730?byMember=false#notrecorded

Shame

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MarkSedd0n/status/1187417949092679682?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

ah your UKIP mum has been in touch

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

:hai:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The twelfth day of Christmas is January 5th you fool you this tweet is an outrage

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

love 2 see a GE fought over a single issue.

I love a GE because my wife buys me a fancy coffee and a danish for going to vote at 7am when the polling station opens.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Need to time it just right to hit the time the students are all going home for Christmas to maximize oopsie looks like you registered in the wrong constituency

12th will still be a full week before classes end at most unis

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

ah your UKIP mum has been in touch

Look forward to her vote being thrown away on UKIP though :laugh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1187417687728803840
https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1187420544251117568?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bape Culture posted:

I still can’t see labour winning an election. Which is a bit poo poo.

Well you don't need to drag everyone else down with you, mate.

You post like a depressing mystic meg.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anything that suppresses turnout is bad for Labour. December would be about the worst possible month for turnout.

Mid December would be extremely tense and stressful for anyone trying to send in a postal ballot from outside the UK, but that's only going to help the brexiters.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Guavanaut posted:

This is why Brexit is going to happen. Out of fear. Then what happens when it doesn't deliver unicorns and rainbows?

The violent Brexit types will be a lot more bothered by the continued presence of the people they voted to kick out of the country than anything political. Its also something they can see and not have to follow politics to know about. So I'd say their reaction is going to be fairly quick and obvious. Remainers will probably protest peacefully but turn nasty if they get attacked.

The tabloids will trigger panic food buying by exaggerating any supply issues which could in turn trigger rioting which will then disrupt supply and self worsen.

Its a good time to live out in the sticks. Unless you want to loot a new telly.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

lol that Johnson will campaign on ‘get Brexit done’ yet has abandoned his deal midway through its progression through parliament to call an election

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Mid December would be extremely tense and stressful for anyone trying to send in a postal ballot from outside the UK, but that's only going to help the brexiters.

Calling it now, we're all going to be sitting in this thread gnawing out fingernails down to the bone waiting for a postal vote tally that ultimately doesn't shift the result of a hung Tory parliament.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
about 5% of a poll will be people choosing the daft option, aka the Lizardman constant

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wait, so in his letter to Corbs, Boris says, in effect, 'there will be plenty of time to get Brexit done during the general election campaign period'. Soooooo, how does that work? Parliament won't be sitting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/bethrigby/status/1187422789638250496?s=21

An interesting take.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
where's the loving ditch

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Sorry, can you walk me through this one? If Labour don't back a GE the party and Corbyn will surely be smeared as afraid of a GE. OTOH is there an appetite among Labour backbenchers for one?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It would be hilarious though if even nature joined the list of traitors wrecking bojo and cumdoms increasingly ridiculous gambits.
Boris will ask Trump to use HAARP to create a massive snow storm after all the old people vote early in the morning.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

crispix posted:

Well you don't need to drag everyone else down with you, mate.

You post like a depressing mystic meg.

Sorry lol

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Well this is grim

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-50166137

quote:

A councillor said his family is "lucky to be alive" after petrol bombs were thrown outside his home while his grandchildren were asleep.

Arsonists set fire to a car parked on Masood Ahmed's driveway as well as another vehicle on the street.

The attack in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, in the early hours of Wednesday, was caught on CCTV and is being investigated by police.

Mr Ahmed said his family had been left "shaken up and scared".

Ten members of Mr Ahmed's family, including two grandchildren aged eight and four, were in the house on Pentland Road when the cars were set slight.

The Labour cabinet member of Kirklees Council said CCTV images showed four people arrived in a car and got out carrying petrol bombs which were thrown at the vehicles.

He said he did not know why his home had been targeted.

"I had got up and gone downstairs for a drink of water when I heard a noise," he said.

"The next moment both cars were on fire. My kids were in their beds overlooking the cars. My grandkids were in the next room."

Mr Ahmed added: "We are lucky to be alive. It could have been a lot worse.

"These people are gutless cowards - total scumbags.

"They are not going to drive us out. I have lived in that road for 45 years and never had any incidents."

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said the fires were being treated as deliberate.

Police said officers were examining the CCTV footage and carrying out house-to-house inquiries.

Meanwhile, Kirklees Council said security would be tightened around key buildings and events following the attack.

The authority's chief executive Jacqui Gedman has written to all elected members advising how they can take better personal precautions.

Councillors are also being urged to take part in a training session on personal security organised by police.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the extension is only until january then, uh... a winter election is the only option, isn't it?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Bape Culture posted:

I still can’t see labour winning an election. Which is a bit poo poo.

i think its possible certainly, labour vote holds while tories split to libdem and brex

this election is a doozy cause i can see like 3 diff outcomes that all seem as likely

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

How is this not being described as terrorism

E: oh because it’s targeted at a specific individual, never mind

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Looks like Corbyn is going to reject the call for an election, which with the way Johnson is doing this, may not be a bad idea. There's still going to be a push to get his Bill through though, and certain Labour Party idiots are going to back it.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pesmerga posted:

Looks like Corbyn is going to reject the call for an election, which with the way Johnson is doing this, may not be a bad idea. There's still going to be a push to get his Bill through though, and certain Labour Party idiots are going to back it.

I thought the EU was supposed to say Y/N to the extension tomorrow morning? If they say yes before monday then Labour will 100% go for a GE.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Had a Tory canvasser come by no more than 2 hours after Boris' big announcement to ask if I plan to vote for the (current) Tory representative if there happens to be an election. :ughh:

Still, last election I was living in Kensington and Chelsea and it flipped to Labour by like 6 votes, so maybe I'm a good-luck charm.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah my understanding was that Lab were waiting on the election until we had the extension, meaning Johnson couldn't No-Deal us through some chicanery during said election. So if the EU gives us Jan 31st or whatever then we want the election as well, I thought?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Miftan posted:

I thought the EU was supposed to say Y/N to the extension tomorrow morning? If they say yes before monday then Labour will 100% go for a GE.

The EU will, but there's talk of Johnson still trying to get a shorter extension in the first instance (November, with then extension going until January in the event it fails to pass) to get the Bill through, and is pushing an election with this still on the table. I don't think the Labour Party will go for it, as it looks like it could be a trap, and even though there are cries of lamestream media every time it's mentioned, there are rumours that even some in the shadow cabinet are pretty wary about an election at this point because they suspect they're going to get hammered.

Edit: Greens, SNP and Lib-Dems have all announced they'll be voting against at this stage as well.

Pesmerga fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 24, 2019

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

mycelia posted:

Had a Tory canvasser come by no more than 2 hours after Boris' big announcement to ask if I plan to vote for the (current) Tory representative if there happens to be an election. :ughh:

Still, last election I was living in Kensington and Chelsea and it flipped to Labour by like 6 votes, so maybe I'm a good-luck charm.

I hope you told them to go and sit on their fist.

Pesmerga posted:

lamestream media

Funny, that's the first I've seen that term used.

crispix fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 24, 2019

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I think I will be finding an excuse to "visit the UK office" on election day...

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

This is about as serious and practical as it is.

if that's Bojo drowning in an Irish sea full of piss and ketchup, it seems serious and practical to me

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Huh. He was my history seminar tutor back in Uni. Flashback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Huh, must be 1000+ people at the Bristol rally? Not bad for short notice!