Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"!doom gib a s'tI !oremoR nhoJ ,em taefed tsum uoy ,emag eht niw oT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Your father contended with the forces of darkness and lost... but if you want to make things right, you're going to need to find the dark forces too, Jedi Knight.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shadow Hog posted:

Your father contended with the forces of darkness and lost... but if you want to make things right, you're going to need to find the dark forces too, Jedi Knight: mysteries of the Sith.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shadow Hog posted:

Your father contended with the forces of darkness and lost... but if you want to make things right, you're going to need to find the dark forces too, Jedi Knight.

hell yeh

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I shall have my vengeance and it will carry a heavy price, for it will be paid in Blood: Fresh Supply

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://youtu.be/h10pd7vDytg

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shadow Hog posted:

Despite the darkness, you are still a Jedi Knight II, Jedi Outcast.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
"It's time to split!"

Actual in-game dialog, proving that Timesplitters was the best series

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know, a thing or two about her
I know, she'll only make you cry
She'll let you walk the streets beside her, ooh
Kiss: Pyschocircus, now at Best Buy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

Despite the darkness, you are still a Jedi Knight II, Jedi Outcast.
I'm Jaden Korr, and I am on my way to the Star Wars Dark Forces IV Jedi Knight III Jedi Outcast 2 Jedi Academy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

don't worry, i'm sure that any day now a new star wars shooter will come out starring everyone's favorite star wars character, squinko greeg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A new Seaman game but narrated by mark hamil and about raising Salacious Crumbs

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's a me, Mario. I'm a Mario brother. Mario.

Am I doing this right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

anatomi posted:

It's a me, Mario. I'm a Mario brother. Mario.

Am I doing this right?

Hey Bowser? Its your cousin Larry. You know that new platforming you wanted? Well you're gonna want to listen to this

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I remember when Half-Life came out I had no interest in it. I wanted to get Quake II. My dad convinced me to try HL. While I will definitely go to bat for Quake II, there really is no fucken contest between the two.

https://twitter.com/SelacoGame/status/1462079779277000715

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 20, 2021

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5O75-d6yAI
ModDB link
Dropbox mirror

Just released Discipline, a 10-level set replacing Episode 5 for vanilla Wolfenstein 3D co-developed by myself and fellow veteran mapper Thomas Weiling. These maps were developed and tested entirely in DOS and I had a lot of fun re-learning ye olde MapEdit 8.4 and coming to grips with the vanilla engine limits after having developed exclusively limit-removing maps for the past 15 years. Levels 1, 3, 6, 8, and 9 are mine; levels 2, 4, 5, 7, and 10 are by Thomas. Remember to select E5 when starting a new game or you'll be dumped into a blank map (or I guess you could use the ECWolf version included as a pk3, which takes out the episode selection screen). These maps are also pretty hard, especially towards the end of the episode, so prepare to die a lot if you play on Death Incarnate!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That looks cool. I’ve been craving playing Wolf again so I’ll give it a shot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5O75-d6yAI
ModDB link
Dropbox mirror

Just released Discipline, a 10-level set replacing Episode 5 for vanilla Wolfenstein 3D co-developed by myself and fellow veteran mapper Thomas Weiling. These maps were developed and tested entirely in DOS and I had a lot of fun re-learning ye olde MapEdit 8.4 and coming to grips with the vanilla engine limits after having developed exclusively limit-removing maps for the past 15 years. Levels 1, 3, 6, 8, and 9 are mine; levels 2, 4, 5, 7, and 10 are by Thomas. Remember to select E5 when starting a new game or you'll be dumped into a blank map (or I guess you could use the ECWolf version included as a pk3, which takes out the episode selection screen). These maps are also pretty hard, especially towards the end of the episode, so prepare to die a lot if you play on Death Incarnate!

I might have to give this a shot later - good work! :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nice!!!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Just released Discipline, a 10-level set replacing Episode 5 for vanilla Wolfenstein 3D co-developed by myself and fellow veteran mapper Thomas Weiling.
Oh hey, welcome back! Always cool to see new Wolf3D mods. Though that, uhm, certainly is a title screen.
Could you say a bit about the design of the levels in that episode? I've played quite a few Wolf3D mods back in the day, but I'm not sure I ever really got a grasp on what constitutes good level design in Wolf3D.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Well, basically, what you don't want to do, but everybody used to do, is big, splattery mazes, whether of the 1-tile-wide spaghetti or of the room-door-room-door-room-door variety. We paid a lot of attention to making logical, coherent layouts with clear landmarks to minimize how much the player gets lost and keep the action flowing. We also set up fights so it's not so easy just to hide in a doorway and shoot all the Nazis one by one; a lot of fights are set up so the Nazis can take other ways around to flank you, or have cover of their own so you have to rush them and take risks. We also tried to avoid simple box-shaped rooms, adding nooks and support beams and inset/jutting areas of contrasting (but not too contrasting) textures to add visual interest. I also tend to like to have areas of walls that are opened up with barrier sprites so enemies can see and shoot at you through them from other areas of the map, but the DOS engine limits (enemies can't see or shoot properly across "floor codes" unless a door is opened between those two floor codes) limited the extent to which that could be used in this mapset.

Also ModDB's servers went down just as I was doing the release posts on various forums, hence the Dropbox mirror. What timing. :sadpeanut:

E: Just updated the dropbox link with fixes to E5M5 (only affects SDL/ECWolf) and E5M6. Redownload if you've already downloaded it.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 20, 2021

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Those fake reflections in the Dark Tide mod look so awesome now! :)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

Well, basically, what you don't want to do, but everybody used to do, is big, splattery mazes, whether of the 1-tile-wide spaghetti or of the room-door-room-door-room-door variety. We paid a lot of attention to making logical, coherent layouts with clear landmarks to minimize how much the player gets lost and keep the action flowing. We also set up fights so it's not so easy just to hide in a doorway and shoot all the Nazis one by one; a lot of fights are set up so the Nazis can take other ways around to flank you, or have cover of their own so you have to rush them and take risks. We also tried to avoid simple box-shaped rooms, adding nooks and support beams and inset/jutting areas of contrasting (but not too contrasting) textures to add visual interest. I also tend to like to have areas of walls that are opened up with barrier sprites so enemies can see and shoot at you through them from other areas of the map, but the DOS engine limits (enemies can't see or shoot properly across "floor codes" unless a door is opened between those two floor codes) limited the extent to which that could be used in this mapset.
Thanks! In fact, one thing I remember from playing Wolf3D mods (aside from being annoyed by mazes) is how many fights could be cheesed by just retreating to the previous room and keeping the doorway under suppression fire, so it's interesting to see some counter-measures.

Nokiaman posted:

Those fake reflections in the Dark Tide mod look so awesome now! :)

Dark Tide deserves to be a lot more well-known than it is. Dark Forces modding is so wildly impressive in general.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Woolie Wool posted:

Well, basically, what you don't want to do, but everybody used to do, is big, splattery mazes, whether of the 1-tile-wide spaghetti or of the room-door-room-door-room-door variety. We paid a lot of attention to making logical, coherent layouts with clear landmarks to minimize how much the player gets lost and keep the action flowing. We also set up fights so it's not so easy just to hide in a doorway and shoot all the Nazis one by one; a lot of fights are set up so the Nazis can take other ways around to flank you, or have cover of their own so you have to rush them and take risks. We also tried to avoid simple box-shaped rooms, adding nooks and support beams and inset/jutting areas of contrasting (but not too contrasting) textures to add visual interest.

I'm amused at how much of good practice sounds like: make the levels like Blake Stone.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm amused at how much of good practice sounds like: make the levels like Blake Stone.

Blake Stone and Spear: End of Destiny are the peak of Wolf 3D level design imo. I think throughout both those experiences I got lost once.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory fan made single player campaign is out

https://www.moddb.com/mods/et/downloads/etsp

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 21, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Instead of spending my time on worthwhile things, working on my own projects, etc etc, I played a good chunk of Conduit 2 tonight (sequel to The Conduit, they dropped the "The" because they thought "The Conduit 2" was too much of a mouthful). I..enjoyed it quite a bit? It's a bit wonky with a pad, despite Classic Controller compatibility it was very clearly made for MotionPlus but it's workable enough. Has some goofy-rear end Half Life style alien guns, like the Hive Launcher which you shove your hand up its rear end and feed it biomass and it shoots bees and has a homing paintball thing just like the Bullseye's tag shot in Resistance.

It kinda reminds me of Black and I guess TimeSplitters 3 though it's not really like either. The story is very silly and the dialogue is very playful in that Serious Sam kinda way where the main guy is cracking really bad jokes and that is the joke. Fittingly, he's voiced by Jon St John. It's a very stupid game and it's fun. Also it's a really good looking game for the Wii, they did a great job on that front. It has some issues in Dolphin that might just be on my end but the FMVs are uh..double interlaced vertically or something which is a shame because here's the ending sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVWS7eloEc

On another note:

https://twitter.com/vluchitz/status/1460657156408107020

It is insane that splitscreen in this runs better than the original port did.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

kirbysuperstar posted:

It has some issues in Dolphin that might just be on my end but the FMVs are uh..double interlaced vertically or something which is a shame because here's the ending sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVWS7eloEc
CONDUIT 2's ending is right up there with Half Life 2 as "it's a terrible shame this will never get a follow up" but for entirely different reasons

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Look, I was having a nice day.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I played with the new Force Engine release for a bit last night and today. It’s pretty good. Although the game is technically finishable now there’s still some issues that could make that hard to do. Mainly the current lack of being able to open the PDA. I got to the detention center level which has several code entry sections. Normally you’d pick up the codes from officer and be able to look at them in the PDA, but that’s not working right now. I didn’t find picture of the correct segments online so I just gave up at that point because I didn’t feel like going back and forth through a walkthrough video looking for them.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The latest entry in the "weird things running Doom" series: rats!

or uhh, not rats running doom, but doom running rats. That is to say rats run, and now rats run in doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wjaeEiin8

https://medium.com/mindsoft/rats-in-doom-eb6c52c73aca

e; the rats are named Romero, Carmack, & Tom. It'd be lovely to be able to DM with Romero again, even better if he's a rodent this time around.

treat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 21, 2021

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Blake Stone AoG had pretty lovely level design at times (and it had the loving respawning plasma aliens). Planet Strike is where it's at. I have occasionally thought of doing a Planet Strike level set with the human AoG enemies. Now that the source code is available I could even perhaps find a coder and add additional features like plane 3 control of flats and the merger of the AoG music and cut sounds into Planet Strike. Maybe get rid of the dumb, overly gamey security cube thing and pseudo-hub progression too.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 21, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

treat posted:

or uhh, not rats running doom, but doom running rats. That is to say rats run, and now rats run in doom.

Who's on first?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Blake Stone AoG had pretty lovely level design at times (and it had the loving respawning plasma aliens). Planet Strike is where it's at. I have occasionally thought of doing a Planet Strike level set with the human AoG enemies. Now that the source code is available I could even perhaps find a coder and add additional features like plane 3 control of flats and the merger of the AoG music and cut sounds into Planet Strike. Maybe get rid of the dumb, overly gamey security cube thing and pseudo-hub progression too.

I never really tried Planet Strike, but I remember playing the shareware episode of Aliens of Gold over and over. I enjoyed the weird things like interactive vending machines and non-hostile scientists you could talk to and it had some catchy MIDI tunes but kept getting lost over and over.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The thing I remember the most about Blake Stone is the Bobby Prince track that sounds like a mix between BTO's Let It Ride and Zeppelin's Immigrant Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TVl6XCBMf4

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Volte posted:

The thing I remember the most about Blake Stone is the Bobby Prince track that sounds like a mix between BTO's Let It Ride and Zeppelin's Immigrant Song

jesus that is such an accurate description I remembered a song I hadn’t thought of in two and a half decades, well done

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Volte posted:

I knew exactly what song you meant just by your description :lol:

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

treat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0wjaeEiin8

e; the rats are named Romero, Carmack, & Tom. It'd be lovely to be able to DM with Romero again, even better if he's a rodent this time around.

this is awesome, thank you for sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Finally getting to try Prodeus thanks to my new computer through Xbox Game Pass and yeah that's some good stuff