Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What about Star Citizens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
nintendo has cornered the "appeals to children but is not brainrot trash" market and you 'gotta hand it to em'

I've been playing Mario RPG with my pre-school aged son and he loves it, he's also beaten Odyssey and the latest Kirby mostly by himself (he just needs the pro gamer to step in for the boss fights).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Odyssey is impressive for a pre-schooler.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

mind the walrus posted:

Odyssey is impressive for a pre-schooler.

Yeah it's nice to have something to play with my nephews. Mario games are nice.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

galagazombie posted:

Lol I remember when Mario rpg came out on the Wii virtual console for only $10.

That's a ripoff too lol. Paying 10 bucks a month for a worse way to play PC games.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

PC games generally seem to like to keep the base price but the sale frequency and discounts both go up. Which is okay I guess but it does lead to me being wanting a game now only to see it was on sale, and I'll lose interest when it's on sale again. I wish games would just lower the price instead of doing that but eh oh well. Alternatively I buy games when they are on sale and don't touch them because I generally only play one game at a time. I will absolutely buy a switch if they make an elite beat agents for it.

Usually PC games reduce their MSRP within a couple of years, although that observation varies by company; iirc the Total War franchise is pretty firm in not changing its MSRP but tons of other companies drop that poo poo fast. Doom Eternal released at $60 in 2019, in 2022 its MSRP had become $40 with sales prices as low as $10. Witcher 3 went the same way, was $60 at release, within 2 years its MSRP was $40 (where it remains to this day, where your observation of frequent deep sales remains true).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

roomtone posted:

are there any SRPGs like shining force and fire emblem that don't have incredibly boring and longwinded cutscenes of people being polite at each other?

i just started triangle strategy, enjoyed the first battle, and now it's been 45 minutes of non-stop talking about who gives a poo poo and that's with me fast forwarding half the scenes

ogre battle. there is almost NO talking about who gives a poo poo. this is a double edged sword however and you basically have no idea what's going on because nobody talks about anything you just capture cities and kill dudes

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Unless you play TO. In which the talk is pretty tight but if you play the SNES it's limited by the system so you can just fly through it.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

At least Nintendo is mostly up front. Roblox is like a seedy back ally where they try to separate kids from their money by any means necessary. Not directly of course, just by shaking down their suppliers and letting them get the money how they may.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
At the risk of sounding like an old bitch roblox and fortnite are the Youtube Kids equivalent of videogames, they are designed for maximum stimulation and nothing else. The nintendo suite strikes a good balance of pure entertainment and downtime/exploration/problem solving that make them worth the price of entry

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Neo Rasa posted:

This is good to know because there's still some Switch stuff I want to at least try out.

God speed, I've yet to play one that didn't play better on PC than on console.

roomtone posted:

are there any SRPGs like shining force and fire emblem that don't have incredibly boring and longwinded cutscenes of people being polite at each other?

i just started triangle strategy, enjoyed the first battle, and now it's been 45 minutes of non-stop talking about who gives a poo poo and that's with me fast forwarding half the scenes

I think if you're going to go for a fantasy srpg, long winded talking about elves and nations and poo poo is just part of the package. You could always try something like Super Robot Wars. It still has incredibly boring and often long winded cutscenes but they're mostly people being anime at each other. Or XCOM, which is a bit different mechanically but has much less story and much more killing aliens with your strategically placed dudes.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Aside from the constant begging for money and trying to get kids to buy stuff all the Roblox games seem like crappy versions of existing games rebuilt in Roblox. The only one I thought was kind of interesting was Doors, which coincidently didn't do quite so much begging for money.

Unfortunately kids like to play with each other on it so I've got to let him have some Roblox time to play with friends. They play some terrible fighting game that hurts my soul to watch. For awhile they were playing Mirror's Edge knockoffs, which I thought was funny. Roblox bringing back Mirror's Edge for a new generation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

abigserve posted:

At the risk of sounding like an old bitch roblox and fortnite are the Youtube Kids equivalent of videogames, they are designed for maximum stimulation and nothing else. The nintendo suite strikes a good balance of pure entertainment and downtime/exploration/problem solving that make them worth the price of entry

You do sound like an old bitch but you're also not wrong

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fur20 posted:

ogre battle. there is almost NO talking about who gives a poo poo. this is a double edged sword however and you basically have no idea what's going on because nobody talks about anything you just capture cities and kill dudes

Lmao there's some title "Unicorn Overlord" that finally brings back some Ogre Battle-style gameplay but the trailer is almost all talking about who gives a poo poo anime trash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MRbg7MqCw

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Buy a Switch 2 immediately on launch though cause it's always their first versions that are exploitable and then bing bong free games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Capital Letdown posted:

Buy a Switch 2 immediately on launch though cause it's always their first versions that are exploitable and then bing bong free games.

also never update the firmware, which means you can't play new games past a certain point, making it almost useless until the jailbreak comes out (if it ever does, lol xbox)

obviously you should buy two switch 2s and leave one in the box so you can eventually steal enough games to recoup buying two systems

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Khanstant posted:

That's a ripoff too lol. Paying 10 bucks a month for a worse way to play PC games.

That’s not how the Wii virtual console worked. You bought each game individually but it was yours for life on your SD card. It was roughly:
$5 for an NES or TurboGraphx/PC Engine Hucard game
$10 for an SNES, Genesis or TurboGraphx/PC engine cd game
$20 for an N64 game.
It also had a way bigger selection than the Switch with deeper cuts, and had a lot of import games that didn’t have English releases before, like Sin&Punishment or Gleylanzer.
Plus back then N64 emulation basically didn’t exist so you it was the best option. I know NES/SNES emulation was already around back then so yeah that sucks but I don’t know what Genesis and TurboGraphx emulation was like 15 years ago, so those may or may not have been ripoffs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Every pre-3d console was easily emulated since the dawn of emulation. The wii virtual console wasn't too bad especially compared to the Switch equivalent but the N64 games were the only ones that weren't super easy to emulate on your own.

Genesis emulation has been around and stable for 25+ years

e: Though at the time of the wii virtual console it wasn't easy to play emulated games with a gamepad on your couch, mimicking the actual console experience. Which made it pretty cool. Playing PC games on a TV and universal gamepad support on PC are relatively new things. To do something like that you needed a modded/softmodded console of some kind, which again wasn't nearly as easy as it is today (usually requiring special hardware to transfer files to SD cards, or buying expensive modchips and soldering them to the boards inside the console etc)

Which lmao I softmodded my wii then I later sold it in SA-mart to a goon who met me at the post office parking lot to pick it up and I told him that if he tried to remove the softmod it would brick the console. And a few days later he told me he tried removing the softmod and bricked the wii and started harassing me for a refund.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 20, 2023

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I got a Switch for our 1st grade son so I've been able to witness the full depths of Nintendo's price gouging first hand, it's obscene. I buy most of my games on PC, where it's pretty normal for MSRP to steadily trend downward with time after a game releases, so I guess that spoiled me. Nintendo doesn't seem to do that at all, or maybe just barely does; sales are a lot less frequent and a lot less generous, even for obsolete or very old titles.

The previous Super Mario Bros U is $50 right now, and that's with a $10 discount because Wonder just came out. This is for a game that was released 5 years ago, and apparently it's a re-release of a 2012 game. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe came out 6 years ago, and it too was just a remake - it's $60 still, according to camelcamelcamel it got a half-price sale for the first time this year, 2023.

Not to defend Nintendo too much here, but the last time I took my wife and kid to the movies it cost me $75 before I even bought snacks because movie theaters are all bougie as gently caress now.

I think all the games mentioned above are a MUCH better value and I don’t have to worry about getting bombarded with DLC for most games, although the Nintendo pass is a pretty good value IMO.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

$75 will also get you 3-4 pizzas which is arguably a better deal than either one

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kronix posted:

Not to defend Nintendo too much here, but the last time I took my wife and kid to the movies it cost me $75 before I even bought snacks because movie theaters are all bougie as gently caress now.

I think all the games mentioned above are a MUCH better value and I don’t have to worry about getting bombarded with DLC for most games, although the Nintendo pass is a pretty good value IMO.

PC game prices are better than either of those, so Nintendo can eat my rear end

Even movies go through a cycle of deeply discounted experiences where you can just wait a few months to sign up for a free 1-month trial with some streaming service, 5 minutes of my time is an excellent deal compared to a movie theater for 4 people plus concessions

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
even if they release a console with no hardware or software vulnerabilities people could still make mod chips like they did for the ps2 right?
harder and more expensive to install though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

even if they release a console with no hardware or software vulnerabilities people could still make mod chips like they did for the ps2 right?
harder and more expensive to install though

modchips haven't been a thing on playstation or xbox for two generations now, once the security is buried entirely inside the main SOC the idea of physically modifying it becomes completely hypothetical, nobody can actually do that on a sensible budget

nvidia wasn't so careful when designing the switch SOC though, so it did fall to hardware attacks

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Fortunately PS2 emulation on a PC is pretty impressive now and you can do poo poo like have the "run ISOs on an SD card" software run via an adapter to the PS2 memory card port so it's a lot more accessible now and there's no need to install a chip or replace the drive with an ODE or anything if you want to play on original hardware.

For Gameube if you want hardware instead of emulation getting an ODE and SD card adapter rules though. You can get a Gamecube off Ebay that has the component port for next to nothing (the magic words to search are "broken, only turns on," "powers on but doesn't read disks", etc.) and IIRC no soldering is needed to get everything going. Then you just poke around for the component to HDMI adapter of your choice (so you don't need to have the overpriced Gamecube component cables at all) and you have it all. You can get every GC game you'd want to play onto a 1TB micro sd card and probably a lot less if there's some genres you have no interest in

Gamecube emulation on a PC works great too of course but I find this stuff fun to tinker with whenever it's feasible and if you already have one laying around it can be fun to set up.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Consoles past the PS4 aren't usually hackable but that's OK because almost every game released since that point is on PC, which is the #1 platform for :filez:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I buy Nintendo games as an investment. But I plan on being buried with them. Then cremated. In that order.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BURY ME WITH MY POKEMON CARDS, LET CHARIZARD CARRY ME TO THE GATES OF CARD GAME VALHALLA

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

When I die I want the sunset riders "mury me with my...muny" played in lieu of some song.

It doesn't seem like that much to ask.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I want everyone to play charades and pantomime all my life foibles

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

Aside from the constant begging for money and trying to get kids to buy stuff all the Roblox games seem like crappy versions of existing games rebuilt in Roblox. The only one I thought was kind of interesting was Doors, which coincidently didn't do quite so much begging for money.

Unfortunately kids like to play with each other on it so I've got to let him have some Roblox time to play with friends. They play some terrible fighting game that hurts my soul to watch. For awhile they were playing Mirror's Edge knockoffs, which I thought was funny. Roblox bringing back Mirror's Edge for a new generation.

Honestly aside from the predatory monetization and the company flourishing on child labor, and how loving terrible it looks, playing janky rear end minigames, especially if you can make them yourself, with friends sounds pretty magical? In middle school a handful of us got into rpgmaker and swapped lovely little one hour RPGs back and forth and a brief phase of Warcraft 3 maps but nobody knew good triggers. I made my mom and dad play my excited bike levels as a kid.

So in short, a good instead version of Roblox 30 years ago might've been kind of rad and the kids today deserve better

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

When I die I want the sunset riders "mury me with my...muny" played in lieu of some song.

It doesn't seem like that much to ask.

Greatest website ever made:

http://burymewithmymoney.com/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Honestly aside from the predatory monetization and the company flourishing on child labor, and how loving terrible it looks, playing janky rear end minigames, especially if you can make them yourself, with friends sounds pretty magical? In middle school a handful of us got into rpgmaker and swapped lovely little one hour RPGs back and forth and a brief phase of Warcraft 3 maps but nobody knew good triggers. I made my mom and dad play my excited bike levels as a kid.

So in short, a good instead version of Roblox 30 years ago might've been kind of rad and the kids today deserve better

roblox seems kind of jank-rear end compared to some of the warcraft 3 custom maps that got made

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

emSparkly posted:

Consoles past the PS4 aren't usually hackable but that's OK because almost every game released since that point is on PC, which is the #1 platform for :filez:

Cries in Bloodborne...

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Khanstant posted:

These days there are a lot of ways for kids to make games. Unity, Unreal Engine or Godot are a similar learning curve to Roblox. my kid and a few of his friends have made some games in a thing called Flowlab, which seems to be a popular easy game maker for kids. None of his friends have actually made any of the janky games in Roblox, I think it's a bit too complicated.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nice Van My Man posted:

These days there are a lot of ways for kids to make games. Unity, Unreal Engine or Godot are a similar learning curve to Roblox. my kid and a few of his friends have made some games in a thing called Flowlab, which seems to be a popular easy game maker for kids. None of his friends have actually made any of the janky games in Roblox, I think it's a bit too complicated.

The tools to make a decent game are incredibly accessible now. When I was a kid and wanted to make games I couldn't get over the hurdle of getting it to make noise or draw graphics which what every kid wants to do but "learn to program" stuff always ignored. Now that barrier to entry is gone and anyone who can put in a bit of time and effort can make just about any game they want thanks to a mountain of "we did all of the annoying stuff to get you started" game engines.

If a kid (or anyone else) wants to make a game, it's all right there for them. It's a shame Roblox has all of the attention when it is so enormously lovely.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
All elementary school children should learn how to program Breakout from scratch in BASIC

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My niece plays Roblox because she gets to run around in a mall with fairy wings and stuff doing minigames, seems harmless to me.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Caesar Saladin posted:

My niece plays Roblox because she gets to run around in a mall with fairy wings and stuff doing minigames, seems harmless to me.

Those wings are actually a paedophile in disguise

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5bg85g?start=1230

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
And the mall makes more $$$ on minigame boosts and microtransactions than most actual malls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Don't worry if she makes anything Roblox is there to profit off her labor. Well I guess she could make things for free, I don't know how that works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gXlauRB1EQ

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 20, 2023