Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Metric tons, so about 110% of the weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

mobby_6kl posted:

Jeez do people really report every post they don't like

https://i.imgur.com/8urq1dX.mp4

You'd be surprised (or not!)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Idle speculation: A maintenance regime that you can charitably call "neglectful", leaving out the "criminal" only because of a technicality of jurisdiciton. Engine failure at an inopportune time leading to loss of rudder control, and away it went.

That's how they keep destroying the locks of the canal I live at, I assume it's universal…

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
They did a terror on it

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Crazypoops posted:

I'm dying of curiosity to find out what happened on the ship

legion of incompetent fishmen sabotaged the wrong boat, invasion postponed.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The ship did an automatic update and a vestigial stuxnet infection crashed, killing the power infrastructure

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can't be something simple, they clearly tried turning it off and on again.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

The ship did an automatic update and a vestigial stuxnet infection crashed, killing the power infrastructure

That's silly, Windows XP isn't receiving updates anymore.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lmao

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Why don't they just raise the bridge?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

. which is why the ship when it lost power and steerage looked like it was aiming to ground itself by heading outside the dredged center channel. (It's about 20' deep in the shallows).

I've cooled on this theory a little bit. The person who runs the Casual Navigation YouTube channel pointed out that Dali turned to starboard around the time it was passing the entrance to the Curtis Bay channel, and the initial turn to starboard might have been bank effect. Once they regained power, I imagine the thick black smoke was the engines going crash astern.

We'll know more once the NTSB finishes up with the VDR.

One of the bulk carriers my last company worked with struck a jetty in Canada one day. I did some math on the forces involved, and to accelerate a ship of that size from 8 knots to 0ish in that short a period of time was equivalent to 10 or so 747s at full thrust.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/rOmNdKC.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Big Mac posted:

equivalent to the thrust of 82 solid rocket boosters from the Space Shuttle.

Those darn Kerbals.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/eytOqhm.mp4

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay, one of those is obviously fake.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I've read that those big rear end container ships are direct drive, from the engine crankshaft to the propeller, so how do they reverse? Can they change the pitch on the proppeller?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wait, we've all been asking the wrong question.

Why was a container ship leaving a harbor?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wesleywillis posted:

I've read that those big rear end container ships are direct drive, from the engine crankshaft to the propeller, so how do they reverse? Can they change the pitch on the proppeller?

They simply run the engine backwards

Scholtz posted:

Because, you see, ships are safe in a harbor, *~but that's not what they're built for~*

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I think the Nokia phone one was one of the play-doh creations they crush at the end of videos

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Oh so that’s what reverse engineering is!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Scholtz posted:

The footage was reversed

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Scholtz posted:

It was filled with ambulances.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, they used playing cards instead of real money.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's how you cut the deck.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Container ships are made for going forward. Anything fancier than going forward is usually left to tugs.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

NoWake posted:

Because, you see, ships are safe in a harbor, *~but that's not what they're built for~*
very on brand username/post combo

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

wesleywillis posted:

They actually have a second set of cams that slide into place to run the engine in reverse. If I recall correctly, the crash astern procedure involves slowing the engine way down, sliding the reversing cams into place, and using pressurized air or steam to get the engine spinning backwards until it can start dieseling on its own.

Edit: here it is, copied from a chemical tanker I did some work on once.

quote:

Procedure: CARRY OUT THIS PROCEDURE ONLY IN REAL EMERGENCY

CRASH ASTERN

1. Acknowledge the telegraph. And confirm from Bridge the given order is correct

2. Put the fuel regulating lever to stop.

3. Press " Scavenge Limit Cancel" button

4. Wait till the fuel cam position to change "from ahead to astern" on its own.

(This happens around 35 RPM)

5.Start giving short air kicks to brake the RPM from 35 to 12

6. At 12 RPM, give start air in normal way, Confirm Engine is running in AST direction

7. Increase fuel immediately to get MAX RPM 102 in ASTERN direction.

Some ships do have variable pitch propellers, but I think they're less common as dwt gets larger.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 27, 2024

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Big Mac posted:

doing some quick loving around with Wolfram Alpha, I'm seeing that 115,000 tons, moving at 5 knots, is equivalent to the thrust of 82 solid rocket boosters from the Space Shuttle.

edit ah I see I'm not the only one getting posting fodder from wolfram rn

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well, the Locust Point Marine Terminal which is now blocked because of the accident, is the largest RORO port on the Eastern Seaboard and is tied into the rail and road network that needed to use that bridge. The harbor speed, I believe, is 4-6knots max (I seem to remember that from when I lived in Fells Point), and at over 100K tons, even at 4 knots that's a fuckton of kinetic energy that will vaporize pretty much any structure that it hits head on.

Xerol posted:

I think it's 6 but the governor said it was moving at 8 when it collided. Either way it's a fuckload of momentum. I punched these numbers in based on what was said at that press conference and yeah I don't think they designed it to handle a 788887. Compared to the WTC that pillar was a toothpick, and you're throwing about 4 times as much energy into it?

i did some quick loving around calculations at work but for energy absorbed, which based on my loving around research is the main way these bridge dolphins/protections systems are rated.

the sunshine skyway bridge in florida has a protection system rated for a hit from a 87,000 ton ship at 10 knots.

the ship that hit the key bridge in baltimore was reportedly 117,000 tons and traveling at 8 knots.

calculating the kinetic energy of each, the ship in baltimore had 86% of the kinetic energy as the skyway bridge protection system was rated for.

so it does seem like a protection system can withstand a direct hit from a ship this size. but key point, it has to be direct hit, not oblique like in baltimore, which looks like the ship dodged any protection system in place. this seems to be the place on the forums that this accident is getting the most technical discussion, so if any nerds know more about these systems than i do (basically just what i could learn today) then please correct me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Safety Dance posted:

They actually have a second set of cams that slide into place to run the engine in reverse. If I recall correctly, the crash astern procedure involves slowing the engine way down, sliding the reversing cams into place, and using pressurized air or steam to get the engine spinning backwards until it can start dieseling on its own.

Some ships do have variable pitch propellers, but I think they're less common as dwt gets larger.

Almost every ship that size is using a fixed gear with fixed prop, the only time you have something different is for things like cruise ships which have aziothrusters so they can crab into and out of various ports 6 times a week. Or it's a steam plant with reduction gearing, but those are getting rarer.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Safety Dance posted:

Where's the part about shooting nitromethane into the ship's engine for quick horsepower?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Where's the part about shooting nitromethane into the ship's engine for quick horsepower?

Real ships use nitromethane plus Hydrazine for that added boost

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Karate Bastard posted:

They did a terror on it

They got it stuck in the Arctic ice and killed the crew with a vengeful polar bear spirit?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Karate Bastard posted:

They did a terror on it

I do have to say that as soeone who spent too much of my 40s drinking my way through the Bush & co response to 9/11, it is incredibly refreshing to not see TERROR ALERT bullshit being flogged across every mass media outlet in the US every time a school bus has a flat tire.

I'm amazed that my liver & kidneys survived it. Me & my neighbor were kicking a half-keg every week.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PainterofCrap posted:

I do have to say that as soeone who spent too much of my 40s drinking my way through the Bush & co response to 9/11, it is incredibly refreshing to not see TERROR ALERT bullshit being flogged across every mass media outlet in the US every time a school bus has a flat tire.

I'm amazed that my liver & kidneys survived it. Me & my neighbor were kicking a half-keg every week.

This is an odd choice of drinking game. Couldn't you have just done the one where that kid in Dazed and Confused touches his face?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

"Islands of Sanity In A World Gone Mad" was one hell of a game.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/InuoJIb.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Antigravitas posted:

Idle speculation: A maintenance regime that you can charitably call "neglectful", leaving out the "criminal" only because of a technicality of jurisdiciton. Engine failure at an inopportune time leading to loss of rudder control, and away it went.

That's how they keep destroying the locks of the canal I live at, I assume it's universal…

I saw a reddit post last night (that I can't find right now, so grain of salt and all that) saying that the same ship had a power failure last year and slowly hit a dock somewhere else in the world.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Procedure: CARRY OUT THIS PROCEDURE ONLY IN REAL EMERGENCY

CRASH ASTERN

1. Acknowledge the telegraph. And confirm from Bridge the given order is correct

2. Put the fuel regulating lever to stop.

3. Press " Scavenge Limit Cancel" button

4. Wait till the fuel cam position to change "from ahead to astern" on its own.

(This happens around 35 RPM)

5.Start giving short air kicks to brake the RPM from 35 to 12

6. At 12 RPM, give start air in normal way, Confirm Engine is running in AST direction

7. Increase fuel immediately to get MAX RPM 102 in ASTERN direction.

As someone who occasionally has to work on old Gardner engines in tugs...

This here is username/post combo.

That poo poo would be loving terrifying to have to do in real time.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I saw a reddit post last night (that I can't find right now, so grain of salt and all that) saying that the same ship had a power failure last year and slowly hit a dock somewhere else in the world.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

From https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/community/transportation/dali-cargo-ship-hits-baltimore-bridge-QY2M32XFPRDMHM34RKVPK3TR3Y/:

quote:

The vessel was built by Hyundai in 2015. Of the 27 inspections for Dali logged in an online database maintained by Electronic Quality Shipping Information System, two noted deficiencies. In 2016, one report logged damage on the hull’s ship. That year, Dali hit a stone wall while unmooring at the Port of Antwerp. The vessel reportedly sustained minor damages and was detained for repairs. In June, another inspection found problems with “propulsion and auxiliary machinery.”

The vessel was last inspected in September by the U.S. Coast Guard, which found no deficiencies, according to the database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
One bit that's gonna be interesting is that I-695 is the Hazmat route for I-95.