Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FulsomFrank posted:

Is it observation bias or is SM doing something different than every other company with regard to supply chains? Why is it always them that seems to have distribution issues. Is it over-promising and under-delivering? I get that they aren't part of the Asmodee behemoth but how do snafus involving distribution happen so frequently with them? I'm not even trying to be snarky here, just in case the tone of my post isn't conveyed well, I'm just genuinely curious.

Probably bias. I've had experience with numerous games not being fulfilled at a store I ordered them at, them getting only a couple copies when they were supposed to get a dozen, and so forth. I think the thing with Stonemaier is that its much more transparent so you actually see it happen at the publisher level, not just in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mayveena posted:

Board game distribution is in a huge state of flux right now, probably attributable to Kickstarter's success. They need publishers more than publishers may need them. Especially Stonemaier. They don't want to do what he says, he goes back to KS. They know it and he knows it.

Thing is he's burning that bridge now. Alliance loses nothing at this point by dropping him since he's already direct-marketing. That seems very bad for Jamey, since no matter how successful Wingspan can be in the future I doubt he's got enough war chest to weather more than a single dud. Isn't that the point of the distributor system? They take the risk of inventory in exchange for their inch of the green. Stonemeier seems to have a pretty good record so far but they are by no means a behemoth.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Casnorf posted:

Thing is he's burning that bridge now. Alliance loses nothing at this point by dropping him since he's already direct-marketing. That seems very bad for Jamey, since no matter how successful Wingspan can be in the future I doubt he's got enough war chest to weather more than a single dud. Isn't that the point of the distributor system? They take the risk of inventory in exchange for their inch of the green. Stonemeier seems to have a pretty good record so far but they are by no means a behemoth.

Another dud? Stonemeier is firing all blanks, its just his fans don't care.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Casnorf posted:

Why would you think he's not got enough money?? Geezus his games sell like hot cakes. No, we don't like them, but that's irrelevant to him, others buy them and love them. Our bubble here is exactly that, a bubble .I appreciate our bubble but do not fool yourself into thinking that the way this thread thinks represents the entire hobby or even the Euro part.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
He said Wingspan has 300,000 copies in print. If anything happens to SM games it won’t be due to lack of sales.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Miniature Market has a board game sale going on.
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?tag=board-game-sale-february-2020

I grabbed Via Nebula, not sure what else is good there.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

apparently Downfall of Pompei is back in print there. I remember hearing something about it here, maybe from Chill, but I forgot exactly what.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Shadow225 posted:

apparently Downfall of Pompei is back in print there. I remember hearing something about it here, maybe from Chill, but I forgot exactly what.

Yeah it's a great filler game. People get excited to toss people into the volcano. :getin:

I gave mine to a friend and he brings it often so I'm not missing it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Mayveena posted:

Why would you think he's not got enough money?? Geezus his games sell like hot cakes.

I apologize, I seem to have given the impression that I was talking about anything other than the business end of things. I don't particularly care deeply about whether a given game is good or bad, but if Jamey thinks he can do no wrong and overinvests in something that doesn't sell (ie a dud) it would be very valuable to him to not have burned his distribution bridges. I know of very few developers or even publishers who aren't that close to the line.

Wingspan is a real hit, and he's exploiting its success to strong-arm the existing systems, which I would normally praise except that I don't think he's thought it all the way through while making long posts blaming anything but his own greed on people's inability to give him more money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Funzo posted:

Miniature Market has a board game sale going on.
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?tag=board-game-sale-february-2020

I grabbed Via Nebula, not sure what else is good there.

A goodly choice.

The other highlights are Ethnos, Otys is worth a punt at $14, and The Colonists.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If you like playing extremely long city builders where you do a ton of logistical bookkeeping I really can't recommend the colonists enough.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Impermanent posted:

If you like playing extremely long city builders where you do a ton of logistical bookkeeping I really can't recommend the colonists enough.

Era 5-8 Expansion when, cowards :argh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

poo poo, I was hearing up to play Pipeline, Caylus 1303, Wavelength, and some Pax Pamir 2nd Ed this weekend but the trains between my city and my friends' are shut down due to protests :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Morpheus posted:

poo poo, I was hearing up to play Pipeline, Caylus 1303, Wavelength, and some Pax Pamir 2nd Ed this weekend but the trains between my city and my friends' are shut down due to protests :(

drat, I thought you were building-up to a TTR/18xx joke, but was saddened by the conclusion. :( That sucks - I hope you can reorganise it for the near future, and don't miss out on the games day in the end

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Tell them you promise to not play Pipeline and maybe they'll let you through.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

It shouldn't even be a hard thing to do.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CaptainRightful posted:

:five:

e: for reference, it's solidarity protesting for the Wet’suwet’en nation in British Columbia, opposing the building of another oil pipeline.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 12, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
SU&SD just did a review of King's Dilemma that has me hovering over the "BUY" button but wanted to see if anyone here has played it and can weigh in?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

FulsomFrank posted:

SU&SD just did a review of King's Dilemma that has me hovering over the "BUY" button but wanted to see if anyone here has played it and can weigh in?
I haven't got it myself, but I've listened to the review, and it seems like the quintessential (quinntessential??) Quinn game, where there's a lot of pagentry and experience and the game itself is sort of thin on the ground. I've been burned by those sort of games in the past (Mafia de Cuba especially, but also partially Fog of Love), and even then the game sounded sort of interesting. Caveat emptor, I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

I've only played a few games of it but I enjoyed it a lot. The story is really good and the mechanics of the game are easy to get a grasp of but complex enough with the hidden goals and such that it leaves a lot of possibilities open.

It's largely going to end up failing or succeeding for you based on who you're playing with. The discussion and voting process is what makes the game and if you have a bunch of passive people at the table, you can easily reach a point where it feels like you're just reading cards. If you have a group that's serious, you're going to have a lot of fun though. I think it's a great game, it just requires the right audience.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

FulsomFrank posted:

It's not just SUSD that love it, SVWAG were pretty positive but haven't done a full review and actually I've not seen any negative opinions which is really rare

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SVWAG put King’s Dillema as top 3 of 2019, basically describing a single turn as being more impactful than an entire game’s worth in another legacy game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Haha, I'm doing the same. The game sounds so interesting, I really want to try it!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I bought it. There aren't a ton of instances where both SU&SD and SVWAG will agree a game is great. I tend to listen when they do. Plus, the actual gameplay shown is my jam, particularly the sloshing around wine while ordering executions bit.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I really enjoyed it. The actual game part is so bare-bones to be nearly farcical, but it makes it pretty easy to get into the role playing of your faction. The story, while fantastical, has a consistent tone to it, and it being larger than life creates an atmosphere where self serving, maniacal plays fit right in.

It’s not a really a legacy game; it’s a campaign game where setup and player powers will change. And if you have a zero percent interest in story and role playing, then stay away, because the actual game is an auction game where who wins a game is largely out of your control. But I think it was pretty good.

Ubik_Lives fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 13, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hmm... interesting appraisals. I think another board game critic has weighed in on it too. https://youtu.be/rxgWHzMvXOY?t=48

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

King’s dilemma sounds like a worse version of JoCo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
They can't all be Splotters, you nerds.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

King's Dilemma sounds like a game that would be extremely my poo poo, but man would I want to have the right group for something like that. Campaign/legacy games are tough if you don't have a preexisting regular group as it is, but I feel like this is the kind of thing that would bounce off a lot of gamers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Great, now you made me want a Splotter version of JoCo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Memnaelar posted:

If I want to roleplay I'm not playing a board game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s a card game that costs $100

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

al-azad posted:

It’s a card game that costs $100

You don't say

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The goggles do nothing!

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Talking of John Company is there any further word on the 2ed kickstarter?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

OrthoTrot posted:

It's going to be decoupled from the Pax Pamir 2e reprint KS because Cole wants to do even more tweaking/work on it, so the kickstarter for it will be later in the year.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s called Greed Incorporated

Fellis fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 13, 2020

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

OrthoTrot posted:

Plus it’s starting to sound more like it’ll be JoCo 2e instead of just rules tweaks, and there might be too many changes to offer the “upgrade kit” that was discussed.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Triskelli posted:

Plus it’s starting to sound more like it’ll be JoCo 2e instead of just rules tweaks, and there might be too many changes to offer the “upgrade kit” that was discussed.

If it doesn't come with top hats, cigars, and a miniature oak desk on which to lay the map upon it's a hard pass. Pax Pamir set the standards too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

If it doesn't come with top hats, cigars, and a miniature oak desk on which to lay the map upon it's a hard pass. Pax Pamir set the standards too high.
The box art had better be the gentleman from the first game playing the game, similar to HT's art.