Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

From Soft too hard

(It's a penis joke lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

No more From Soft chat itt this year.

Lmao good luck with that

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Demon's Souls was crazy poo poo when it came out. Single player games were so lovely at that point that it felt completely unique.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You guys should play ODT on the psx. Now THAT'S a hard game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

Demon's Souls was crazy poo poo when it came out. Single player games were so lovely at that point that it felt completely unique.

I bought the Lair-machine just to play it, worth it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I think people forget that like 2007 to 2012ish were just absolute garbage video game years. Of course there are gems, but the PlayStation 3/XBox 360 era was depressing.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

I think people forget that like 2007 to 2012ish were just absolute garbage video game years. Of course there are gems, but the PlayStation 3/XBox 360 era was depressing.

It's an interesting era looking back on it. It starts out with developers deciding games need to be more streamlined and user/console friendly, and Japanese developers thinking they had to be more American and producing a lot of completely forgettable releases. Then into 2009 indie games started taking off in a big way, probably owing at least partially to the stagnation in big studio games.

I remember people being blown away that Deus Ex:HR wasn't a completely linear bland 3rd person shooter at the time. Dark Souls was a real turn in the tide that people were once again ready for big dev janky hard obtuse games. Not sure why Demon's Souls didn't seem to take off as much, maybe because it was a PS exclusive. Now days I feel like both indie and big studio games are in a pretty good place no matter what your tastes are.

In conclusion Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is quite possibly the best one.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Nice Van My Man posted:

It's an interesting era looking back on it. It starts out with developers deciding games need to be more streamlined and user/console friendly, and Japanese developers thinking they had to be more American and producing a lot of completely forgettable releases. Then into 2009 indie games started taking off in a big way, probably owing at least partially to the stagnation in big studio games.

I remember people being blown away that Deus Ex:HR wasn't a completely linear bland 3rd person shooter at the time. Dark Souls was a real turn in the tide that people were once again ready for big dev janky hard obtuse games. Not sure why Demon's Souls didn't seem to take off as much, maybe because it was a PS exclusive. Now days I feel like both indie and big studio games are in a pretty good place no matter what your tastes are.

In conclusion Ace Combat: Assault Horizon is quite possibly the best one.

Yeah, I agree with all of this (I never played Assault Horizon, but that series is great). I associate that era with playing games not because I enjoyed them, but because it was that or watch TV. There is, of course, stuff I enjoyed (Left4Dead with goons was a blast), but it didn't feel as creative as the late PS2 era did.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Disco Pope posted:

Nah. Those were the best gaming year (because I had lot of disposable gaming time)

Quick top 3:s for each year:
Bioshock
Portal
Rock Band

Saints row 2
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Dragon Age: Origins
Bayonetta

Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain
Civilization V

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Minecraft
Dead Island

The Walking Dead (Telltale)
Borderlands 2
Sleeping Dogs

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon was Namco's attempt to Americanize Ace Combat during that whole period. Instead of the fictional Ace Combat world they set it in the real world and made you a badass square jawed American with rockin' electric guitar music and the ability to lock onto aircraft (not like missile lock on, like Zelda lock on). Some people hate it but to my mind it succeeded where Ace Combat always does - it was so stupid it was good.

PS2 era had that thing they did where they imported Japanese games they wouldn't normally localize as budget titles. That gave us weird stuff like Mr. Mosquito or Katamari Damacy. I'm not sure what lead to Japanese devs having that brief period where they thought they weren't American enough and just started releasing garbage for awhile, but I'm glad they got out of it (except for Konami RIP).

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Nice Van My Man posted:

I'd give props to Microsoft and Xbox live arcade (and later the indie store)
Lot of great smaller games dirt cheap. That was unheard of back then on consoles.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Issaries posted:

Nah. Those were the best gaming year (because I had lot of disposable gaming time)

are you doing a bit here or something? that list is horrible

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

That brings me back to when Steam made Prey (2006) $5, an at the time unheard of low price for even an old tipple A game. Back then people went crazy for it, not knowing that only a few years later they would be so replete with cheap Steam games that they wouldn't even be able to play most of the stuff in their Steam list (I'm the people).

Now days I feel Steam has really backed off on the outlandishly huge sales on big name stuff.

I'VE GOT TO REVIEW THAT GAME LIST!

Bioshock - Exactly the kind of thing we're talking about, but had the artistic chops to pull it off (gameplay is dogshit in retrospect)
Portal - Very good
Rock Band - Not my thing but it did really make waves, that's for sure.

Saints row 2 - Not a big GTA fan
Mirror's Edge - Loved this game, that's when EA was doing cool experimental stuff, together with Dead Space which was a nice survival horror. Then they announced that their experimental stuff was flopping and they no longer planned to make interesting games.
Fallout 3 - I think this one was surprisingly good even though I didn't personally like it. I remember people still being pissed about that 3rd person shooter Fallout, so it was nice to see a return to RPG mechanics at least.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Just a great game
Dragon Age: Origins - No idea
Bayonetta - Never played it, seems like a sort of DMC game with a lot of big fans but kind of a flop to the point that Nintendo needs to keep it on life support.

Red Dead Redemption - Don't know
Heavy Rain - a big cutscene QTE, but hilarious enough to pull it off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSTYpaRp5kQ
Civilization V - It was okay after a few updates.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Surprisingly good at the time, although I think it aged kind of badly.
Minecraft - Really good indie game, part of indie revolution.
Dead Island - Again it does seem fine but not my thing.

The Walking Dead (Telltale) - Pretty neat the first time through before you figure out it's just like Heavy Rain with very little choice or consequence, and the cutscenes aren't even hilarious except when you get your hand cut off. Too bad instead of innovating and adding depth to their games (or build an engine that doesn't stutter on every button press) Telltale decided to blow all their money on licenses.
Borderlands 2 - No
Sleeping Dogs - I know I said I wasn't a big GTA guy but I loved Sleeping Dogs. It's like GTA but with Max Payne gameplay in a Hong Kong action movie! Criminally under appreciated.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 22, 2023

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I've really stopped impulse buying games since inflation made canadian pricings pretty high. It's pretty rare you can get a decent indie game under 12$ CAD now even during sales. I have such a huge backlog that I just wait until the games end up in a Fanatical bundle in due time anyway.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

tripwood posted:

I've really stopped impulse buying games since inflation made canadian pricings pretty high. It's pretty rare you can get a decent indie game under 12$ CAD now even during sales. I have such a huge backlog that I just wait until the games end up in a Fanatical bundle in due time anyway.

I've moved to fully "I only buy a game if I'm going to play it right then and there". If it's full price, it's full price. If it's on sale, it's on sale.

No more of this like, wish listing a bunch of games and then grabbing one cause its on sale for cheap even though I'm currently working on something else. No backlogs, no more humble bundles (are they even still around?) or hyping up for big winter sales or whatever the gently caress.

It's worked out pretty good!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Nice Van My Man posted:

That brings me back to when Steam made Prey (2006) $5, an at the time unheard of low price for even an old tipple A game. Back then people went crazy for it, not knowing that only a few years later they would be so replete with cheap Steam games that they wouldn't even be able to play most of the stuff in their Steam list (I'm the people).

Now days I feel Steam has really backed off on the outlandishly huge sales on big name stuff.

Once I got hundreds of unplayed games that are actually good and I want to play there’s no reason to spend much on anything for a long time no matter what everyone is buzzing about. I still scoop up a few things on sales and keep adding to my pirates horde of retro games. But I will never ever catch up and I will probably not spend as much on games for the rest of my life as I spent between 2015 and 2020.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Also the guy who came up with cheap steam games and selling hats for Team Fortress, Yanis Varoufakis, went on to fail to run Greece's economy. If only he'd been able to pick them back up with a thriving virtual hat based economy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Capital Letdown posted:

I've moved to fully "I only buy a game if I'm going to play it right then and there". If it's full price, it's full price. If it's on sale, it's on sale.

No more of this like, wish listing a bunch of games and then grabbing one cause its on sale for cheap even though I'm currently working on something else. No backlogs, no more humble bundles (are they even still around?) or hyping up for big winter sales or whatever the gently caress.

Amen, this is the way. The only things I've bought and not played this year was a Yakuza game I know I'll play once I finish 3.

I could buy way more games I'd probably like but time to play em is the most limited resource and adding any sense of obligation to that free time is a drag. It's never like "ooh glad I bought X game on sale Y time ago so I can play it now!" In the off chance the game I naturally want to play in that moment is one I already own it's just "oh guess I got this at some point okay install."

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Capital Letdown posted:

This is the way to go, yeah. Once you stop treating sales as its own game, you automatically just buy less games.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The industry really thought Steam's weak and unobtrusive DRM would lead to people playing games without paying for them and then the opposite happened

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's funny every time there is a subset of people wishing they gamified the savings even more than they used to. If Steam wanted they could make a game where all the game pieces are purchased games, with meta and balance changes made to drive sales towards certain games or publishers.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Issaries posted:

Bioshock
Portal
Rock Band

Saints row 2
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Bayonetta

Red Dead Redemption
Heavy Rain
Civilization V

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Minecraft
Dead Island

Borderlands 2
Sleeping Dogs

All those games are shite lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Civ 5 was okay tho

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Am I the only one that remembers the original Bayonetta being a big deal when it originally came out, even when putting aside the whole empowerment/exploitation "discourse" that was surrounding it?

Maybe it's because I hung out with too many game designers around that time, but I distinctly remember it being regarded as an absolute masterclass as far as design and gameplay implementation goes.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Aramis posted:

Am I the only one that remembers the original Bayonetta being a big deal when it originally came out, even when putting aside the whole empowerment/exploitation "discourse" that was surrounding it?

Maybe it's because I hung out with too many game designers around that time, but I distinctly remember it being regarded as an absolute masterclass as far as design and gameplay implementation goes.

I grabbed it on crazy megasale a while back and while some of the gameplay is a bit dated (gently caress you quicktime events) it is overall immensely satisfying to play once you get the hang of it.

It's Platinum, ffs. Those folks do combat real good.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

pixel bitches posted:

There are some decent to good ones in there, but if anything their presence illustrates what a wasteland those years were.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

pixel bitches posted:

saints row 2 is good and the best one in the series

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SR2 is so good and the rest of the series so bad it's astonishing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
sr3 is fine too, a bit worse but still fun
idk about the others i didnt play them

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

SR2 is so good and the rest of the series so bad it's astonishing.

Hilariously, SR2 being so good is probably what made that happen. At least for the later games.

There were old interviews with the writers where they talked about having this whole three game story arc planned, like a whole rise-fall thing, with 2 really setting up the idea that the Boss is too power hungry and too much of a sociopath that it's going to all crash down on them.
Like that's probably why all the gang stories had scenes where the poo poo the Boss pulled was so insanely cruel, to really hammer home the whole idea that the Boss really isn't a good person

but then 2 was such a huge success with the more memetic comedy aspects so they just went all in on those and dumped whatever serious story they had that provided grounding and contrast for the comedy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can't imagine why a game where your wish-fulfillment character gets his comeuppance didn't get past drafting phases in favor of a capitalist hyperfantasy.

For real though SR2 goes to such dark loving places, it would have been hard to top. What you do to Worf alone is loving insane.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pixel bitches posted:

Minecraft is one of the most popular games of all time, we don't like it because we're old

Arkham Asylum was super good

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Issaries posted:

Rock Band

As an apartment dweller I would spend one of my Djinn granted 3 wishes to erase this piece of loving poo poo from existence

Issaries posted:

Real time with pause trash, story boring as gently caress

Issaries posted:

Minecraft

:hmmyes:

Issaries posted:

lmao you like visual novels

Issaries posted:

Borderlands 2

le epic memes

The others were fine, I guess.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Minecraft is great if you've got a private server with a bunch of friends/coworkers to mess around on. It's fun to log on each day and see the weird new poo poo people have built, then subtly gently caress with their creations.

You're out of your mind if you try to just play through it and beat it like a normal game, though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Bayonetta is an awesome game, way better than Devil May Cry. She's cool as hell and the combat is perfect. Bayonetta 1 shits all over Bayonetta 2 and presumably 3, although I haven't played it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dishonored came out in 2012, that was p good

I played a shitload of Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and Killing Floor

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

some goon: "PC gaming in the late 2000s wasn't memorable"

meanwhile PC gaming in the late 2000s was like:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Regardless of the good ones, every other game was a lovely god of war knockoff or a 5 hour fps military shooter campaign, and countless old franchises were ruined by "modernising them."

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Regardless of the good ones, every other game was a lovely god of war knockoff or a 5 hour fps military shooter campaign, and countless old franchises were ruined by "modernising them."

Bitch every single year in gaming is 99% shovelware don't even start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I really wish Microsoft hadn't murdered PC gaming to prop up their lovely entry into consoles but that's the world we live in.