Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Cingulate posted:

Wow. I assume Piell didn't know any better, but that's some gross misrepresentation.

"Gandhi, MLK etc only pretended to win via nonviolent resistance, in reality they were all 'punch the nazi 24/7'" is a terrible meme.

It is just a bad a meme as "nonviolent resistance is superior because MLK and Ghandi were peaceful". Rosa Parks wasn't just some lady that decided she wanted to sit up front one day, she was a trained protestor.

There is context to their methods, and purpose. That purpose and context doesn't always exist, as much as people would like to think it does because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy.

edit: It's my cat's 1st birthday, so you get a cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I feel like Trumps lawyer here is saying more than he intended.

https://twitter.com/MichaelCohen212/status/897803706737074177

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cingulate posted:

MLK-style Direct Action seems cool and good. Punching Nazis, not so much.
You act as if there just two options: taking it quietly, or their blood on the streets. MLK demonstrated there was a 3rd option: winning.

You're making this up.

Jesus Christ I hope you're in your teens because that poo poo is stupid as hell and embarrassing.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

farraday posted:

LOOK HOW MANY OF MY FRIENDS ARE BLACK

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

farraday posted:

An unironic "but my black friends"

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

farraday posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Ghetto_Police

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Cingulate posted:

Wow. I assume Piell didn't know any better, but that's some gross misrepresentation.

"Gandhi, MLK etc only pretended to win via nonviolent resistance, in reality they were all 'punch the nazi 24/7'" is a terrible meme.

I didn't misrepresent anything, the other two quotes both included Gandhi saying that he believed nonviolence was the superior and stronger path, but that he did not push away people who resisted violently.

From the second quote, again

"My nonviolence does admit of people, who cannot or will not be nonviolent, holding and making effective use of arms. Let me repeat for the thousandth time that nonviolence is of the strongest, not of the weak."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Noxville posted:

At what point did everyone get together and decide to act as though each CEO stepping down from a meaningless panel they do nothing on was a body blow to Trump?

symbols matter, and the symbol that is needed right now is complete rejection of trump by american society

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Noxville posted:

At what point did everyone get together and decide to act as though each CEO stepping down from a meaningless panel they do nothing on was a body blow to Trump?

As shown by his tweets this week, as well as his meltdown, it pisses him off.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

The primary reason that MLK and Ghandi used nonviolence was because it gained sympathy for their cause, not because they didn't expect conflict. MLK especially used it as method of getting international condemnation of Jim Crow.

The ANC had a military wing. Mandela was in prison from 1962-1990 for being a member of MK.

The IRA was the reason why the Irish Free State exists.
ETA, Ulster Volunteer Force, Chechnyan rebels, German RAF, German NSU, Italian NAR, ...

What works is gaining popular sympathy. What near-universally doesn't work is trying to win by sheer force, unless you actually are the US military.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

farraday posted:

Maaaybe supporting Trump doesn't automatically make you a racist (though it's a pretty loving good chance), posting what is probably every picture you've ever had taken with a black person to prove you're not a racist is a textbook thing racist people do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump is holding a rally on the 22nd in Phoenix, so already the rumors are starting that he may announce a pardon of Arpaio there

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

It is just a bad a meme as "nonviolent resistance is superior because MLK and Ghandi were peaceful". Rosa Parks wasn't just some lady that decided she wanted to sit up front one day, she was a trained protestor.
You're not in any way defending the claim that violence would make things better in the current situation.
As for nonviolence being superior, I'm with Gandhi and MLK on that one.

Piell posted:

I didn't misrepresent anything, the other two quotes both included Gandhi saying that he believed nonviolence was the superior and stronger path, but that he did not push away people who resisted violently.

From the second quote, again

"My nonviolence does admit of people, who cannot or will not be nonviolent, holding and making effective use of arms. Let me repeat for the thousandth time that nonviolence is of the strongest, not of the weak."
So do you want to be like Gandhi, or like people Gandhi tolerated?

BadOptics posted:

Jesus Christ I hope you're in your teens because that poo poo is stupid as hell and embarrassing.
I sadly am a hundred years old.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xombie posted:

There is context to their methods, and purpose. That purpose and context doesn't always exist, as much as people would like to think it does because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy.

edit: It's my cat's 1st birthday, so you get a cat

Happy birthday catte :kimchi:

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Cingulate posted:

ETA, Ulster Volunteer Force, Chechnyan rebels, German RAF, German NSU, Italian NAR, ...

What works is gaining popular sympathy. What near-universally doesn't work is trying to win by sheer force, unless you actually are the US military.

Holy poo poo, are you comparing the 1916 IRA to the UVF, and the MK to ETA?

You sure you don't wanna walk that one back, Cingulate? That's literally a "violence on both sides" level of comparison, friend. You need to go and actually study the context and methods behind these movements instead of going off about them half-cocked.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Zophar posted:

Maaaybe supporting Trump doesn't automatically make you a racist (though it's a pretty loving good chance), posting what is probably every picture you've ever had taken with a black person to prove you're not a racist is a textbook thing racist people do.

What does "no tolerance for racism" even mean when he supports a racist?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jeeeesus Kat Timpf is getting death and rape threats. Plus a lot of race traitor stuff. It's amazing how little it takes. She's even posting the text.

The tweets are so bad I can't link them because I can't figure out the spoiler tags lol

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 16, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Noxville posted:

Under normal circumstances, you'd be right.

Given how thin-skinned the manbaby in charge is, he likely FEELS each one as a body blow, though.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

Holy poo poo, are you comparing the 1916 IRA to the UVF, and the MK to ETA?

You sure you don't wanna walk that one back, Cingulate?
I'm saying most violent resistance groups did not achieve their aims. The IRA being in a team which won a partial victory is not a strong point in the face of near-universal failure of terrorist murder as a tactic for achieving political wins in the 1st world.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Arpaio was supposed to get sentenced on my birthday. It was going to be a great birthday.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Fangz posted:

Gandhi said a lot of things, and you are being very selective in your quoting.

Gandhi was a deranged sexual deviant who supported the caste system and abused his wife, and had very little actual input or influence in the process that allowed independence. The status he holds in popular culture was largely manufactured by a mix of India trying to develop a modern national identity with founders to worship, and foreigners sanitizing his image to prop it as an icon for social movements decades after his death.

Quoting him for anything is buying into the same kind of historic revisionism that presents Robert E. Lee as a symbol of how standing up for yourself, yet being able to come back together as one with no hard feelings, is what it means to be American.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

silicone thrills posted:

Arpaio was supposed to get sentenced on my birthday. It was going to be a great birthday.

Was it yesterday? Then it would have been a great birthday for me too. :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

farraday posted:

Hey guys, I'm not a racist! I know black people and haven't attempted to punch them!

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The majority of whites disapproved of MLK jr despite his commitment to nonviolence until he died and his hagiography was written contrasting him to the "bad" guys like Malcolm X.

The whitewashing of MLK jr is one of the most pernicious aspects of this country's culture and history. There is virtually no difference in tone or message between him and Al Sharpton and yet one is still reviled, I wonder why

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Cingulate posted:

I'm saying most violent resistance groups did not achieve their aims.

You're trying to remove all context from a conversation that was entirely about context. Again, this is Trump's "both sides" level of ignorance.

quote:

The IRA being in a team which won a partial victory is not a strong point in the face of near-universal failure of terrorist murder as a tactic for achieving political wins in the 1st world.

How in the gently caress are you calling the original IRA terrorist murders? The RIC literally shot up the stands of a loving gaelic football match, bud.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Radish posted:

Trump is like if a Right Wing email forward gain sentience and got elected President. The problem for the GOP is they typically leave that poo poo for their AM radio and TV personalities while letting the more overtly racist points percolate on social media. The fact that their idiot leader is too dumb to not use code words or wink instead of straight up calling nazis the good guys is what caught them flat footed. Reagan and Trump aren't that different except in ability to speak to the press (at least 1980 Reagan).

I agree, it is crazy for the President to say these things. Trump is basically regurgitating Hannity and Rush talking about, but at least it's a viewpoint, it's a framework. Completely insane, but not unexpected. The stuff about his winery in Charlottesville has no framework, it's out of left field. It's almost on the spectrum, how tone deaf it is. He's crazy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

farraday posted:

https://twitter.com/Xenos_RIFS/status/897810184659099648

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Jeeeesus Kat Timpf is getting death and rape threats. Plus a lot of race traitor stuff. It's amazing how little it takes. She's even posting the text.

The tweets are so bad I can't link them because I can't figure out the spoiler tags lol

If Fox News hosts start getting targeted and harassed as Trump courts Nazis more overtly, I think we might actually see FNC turn against him.

EDIT: Tweets were removed - they're exactly as bad as you'd expect from anonymous hate messages. White supremacism, Nazi ideology, misogyny. Look them up yourself if you're curious.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Your Taint posted:

Hey guys, I'm not a racist! I know black people and haven't attempted to punch them!

Take a moment to appreciate that all 8 pictures contain black people! It's a remarkable feat for someone who doesn't see color.

CommieGIR posted:

Is it just me, or is using the phrase 'Identity Politics' a Right Wing stand in for Whataboutism?

Haha sure, Right Wing.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

You're trying to remove all context from a conversation that was entirely about context. Again, this is Trump's "both sides" level of ignorance.

How in the gently caress are you calling the original IRA terrorist murders? The RIC literally shot up the stands of a loving gaelic football match, bud.
Maybe I missed some context, but my point is: the current context is not one where invoking the IRA is a useful analogy for developing your own form of resistance.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Pardoning Arpaio has got to be political suicide in the midst of all these accusations the president is racist, right?

Right?!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

If Fox News hosts start getting targeted and harassed as Trump courts Nazis more overtly, I think we might actually see FNC turn against him.

official fox corporate policy is to sexually harass her so i doubt they're going to change their views over other people doing other types of harassment

they'll just say she was asking for it

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

:siren:Spencer won't be able to speak at UFl:

Aug. 16, 2017
Dear Campus Community:
Amid serious concerns for safety, we have decided to deny the National Policy Institute’s request to rent event space at the University of Florida.
This decision was made after assessing potential risks with campus, community, state and federal law enforcement officials following violent clashes in Charlottesville, Va., and continued calls online and in social media for similar violence in Gainesville such as those decreeing: “The Next Battlefield is in Florida.”
I find the racist rhetoric of Richard Spencer and white nationalism repugnant and counter to everything the university and this nation stands for.
That said, the University of Florida remains unwaveringly dedicated to free speech and the spirit of public discourse. However, the First Amendment does not require a public institution to risk imminent violence to students and others.
The likelihood of violence and potential injury – not the words or ideas – has caused us to take this action.
Warm Regards,
W. Kent Fuchs President University of Florida

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every successful peaceful protest/revolution has carried an implied threat of violence. "We are mad, we want X, we have the force of Y amount of people willing to stand up to you". MLK would have failed without Malcolm X and vis versa even if they didn't work with each other directly as the carrot and the stick.

The yellow umbrella protest in Hong Kong failed as there wasn't a direct action wing. It turned itself into an open air arts festival. It was far too polite, so polite in fact they cleaned after themselves when they left. It was non-violence gone wrong.

You have to make yourself a threat or else you can be easily ignored by the powers that be.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

JVNO posted:

Pardoning Arpaio has got to be political suicide in the midst of all these accusations the president is racist, right?

Right?!

Has he suffered any repercussions for being a piece of poo poo so far? No? Then you won't see it.

evilweasel posted:

official fox corporate policy is to sexually harass her so i doubt they're going to change their views over other people doing other types of harassment

they'll just say she was asking for it

True :(

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

This is a very good interview.

https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/897791188245385216

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm sure he's doing this every time he needs a pick-me-up when he's feeling down. He knows his base loves this chant and he's really just interested in seeing his Twitter numbers go up.

I full expect Trump needs another ego massage aka Rally. When do you think we can expect it, and where?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What are the rules here anyway, can I post links to images of really vile words or what? Do I have to spoiler it since it's probably not NWS?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Sephyr posted:

Under normal circumstances, you'd be right.

Given how thin-skinned the manbaby in charge is, he likely FEELS each one as a body blow, though.
Especially since wealthy businessmen are the only people on Earth who he actually sort of respects, and the only type of people whose opinions matter to him even a little. He collected a stable of top business guys, and not only are they abandoning him, they're making it clear that it's because they think he's going to fail so hard that they can't afford to be anywhere near him as he falls.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Fulchrum posted:

You didnt watch the ABC around midday, did you? They had the most insufferable fucker ive yet seen. He claimed that Trump was actually being very presidential, and the only people who didn't like it are bitter haters.

No, it wasn't Trump in a bad disguise, suprisingly.

No one who watched Trump's entire statement and questions could say that without being a disingenuous shill.

Sadly, disingenuous shills are becoming more and more common on the ABC as the government puts Murdoch people into positions of authority :(

• Locked thread