Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
Played some Arkham Horror third edition and a couple games of Psychic Pizza Deliveries To The Ghost Town yesterday. I enjoyed Arkham Horror enough and we ended up beating the recommended starting scenario pretty easily, though after looking we messed up a few things. Totally my fault as I'm the guy who usually buys games and teach them. Ended up using the wrong anomaly deck but after comparing some of the cards doesn't seem like that had an huge impact. Is Arkham a game that gets easier with a lower player count? It just felt really easy after a bit and I keep looking for a rule we did wrong or missed. Then again we were rolling really well.

I definitely need more plays of Psychic Pizza Deliveries To The Ghost Town. It has an interesting concept but I really don't know how to play it as a delivery boy. I just kept trying to find a wall and go from there but It's probably better to just spiral out from your starting space maybe? I really need to play it more to figure out where I stand on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Losem posted:

Played some Arkham Horror third edition and a couple games of Psychic Pizza Deliveries To The Ghost Town yesterday. I enjoyed Arkham Horror enough and we ended up beating the recommended starting scenario pretty easily, though after looking we messed up a few things. Totally my fault as I'm the guy who usually buys games and teach them. Ended up using the wrong anomaly deck but after comparing some of the cards doesn't seem like that had an huge impact. Is Arkham a game that gets easier with a lower player count? It just felt really easy after a bit and I keep looking for a rule we did wrong or missed. Then again we were rolling really well.

If AH3 is anything like AH2 or Eldritch, it gets harder with fewer players and particularly harder if you play with an odd number. The sweet spot is four.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Glazius posted:

Taught The Voyages of Marco Polo without the expansion. Took Matteo and barely managed to edge out a Rashid who pretty much went pure contracts. Drew three different destination cards for Sumatra, but it did have camel/gold for 9 and two goods for one move cards, and I actually managed to get around the bottom part of the map and into Beijing turn 3 as a result, thanks to an Alexandria silk city card and a cash bonus in Adana that I hit first turn to take some of the sting out of portage fees. My last turn was almost entirely setting up 5 steps (with 9 camels) into Kashgar for my last trading post + card destination. I'm looking forward to Marco Polo II - the powers seem to have been toned down a little and the map emphasized more, but it's definitely the same game philosophy.

Compared to the original, Marco Polo II has several things that feel different. High dice rolls are not as good in II, since there are few spaces that scale with dice pips. But higher rolls are still better for most things. Even contract heavy strategies need to do some traveling, because you can't pick up new contracts without establishing a trading post in a contract city. Speaking of which, there are two new types of cities in addition to the old action space city and income city. Now there are contract cities that are necessary to take new contracts, and special action cities that can't be used unless you have an upgraded seal of that type. Travel costs have shifted greatly. The nearby city travel costs are much cheaper than the original, but the distant city travel costs are even higher than in Marco Polo I. Full circle routes seem near impossible to pull off, but there are more connections in the middle range to compensate. There's more random setup elements, but the overall game is still tight. People still get blocked hard at times, late game travel is still difficult, and I enjoy the shift towards bigger contracts (more resources needed, but higher rewards on average).

That said, I don't like how the vast majority of characters in Marco Polo II have some sort of income per turn. The characters in Marco Polo are more interesting to me.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Journeyman expansion for Isle of Skye at the weekend and would thoroughly recommend it. Instead of just adding more tiles or whatever it adds a whole other game on top of your island. Everyone gets a little dude who you make walk around the island you make looking at sheep and cows and giving you various bonuses for it, though you can just pay some money and pretend you saw a cow or whatever. It makes the construction of you island matter a bit more, and makes roads more important as that effects how fast your man can move around. It also gives you a bit of a bonus when people buy your tiles which is good because it's always a bad turn when people buy both your tiles.

If you like Isle of Skye then you will probably like Journeyman, it's a really novel expansion that sits really neatly on top of the base game.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That sounds neat. I always had a soft spot for Isle of Skye as a filler. I like the simple bidding, the island tile building, and the clear goals/scoring.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

golden bubble posted:

Compared to the original, Marco Polo II has several things that feel different. High dice rolls are not as good in II, since there are few spaces that scale with dice pips. But higher rolls are still better for most things. Even contract heavy strategies need to do some traveling, because you can't pick up new contracts without establishing a trading post in a contract city. Speaking of which, there are two new types of cities in addition to the old action space city and income city. Now there are contract cities that are necessary to take new contracts, and special action cities that can't be used unless you have an upgraded seal of that type. Travel costs have shifted greatly. The nearby city travel costs are much cheaper than the original, but the distant city travel costs are even higher than in Marco Polo I. Full circle routes seem near impossible to pull off, but there are more connections in the middle range to compensate. There's more random setup elements, but the overall game is still tight. People still get blocked hard at times, late game travel is still difficult, and I enjoy the shift towards bigger contracts (more resources needed, but higher rewards on average).

That said, I don't like how the vast majority of characters in Marco Polo II have some sort of income per turn. The characters in Marco Polo are more interesting to me.

There are routes you can only travel if you have a guild seal, but it seems like the special actions can always be used, you just don't get as much without an improved guild seal?

quote:

• First, take the reward shown from the supply. You always take the same reward, regardless of die value.
  • Second, if you have an improved guild seal of the corresponding type, you also immediately gain the bonus shown on the seal. The die value determines whether you get the guild seal bonus once or twice, as shown on the space.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Eyes Have It posted:

That sounds neat. I always had a soft spot for Isle of Skye as a filler. I like the simple bidding, the island tile building, and the clear goals/scoring.

None of the bidding or main scoring changes so that's all good, apart from how much you will value the tiles. What it adds are 3 tracks, Warrior, Merchant and Poet (I think that's what they're called). You advance on Warrior by seeing things on your Island, like sheep, cows, brochs etc. and when someone buys a tile from you. It gives you VP's every turn. Merchant you advance on by seeing thing like boats, completed land areas etc and it increases your income and makes you man faster. The poet track you advance by going to the Northern/Western/Southern/Eastern most tile on your island or being far away from your castle and it gives you instant VP.

After the initial rules dump it doesn't really add too much time to the length of the game either.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Losem posted:

I definitely need more plays of Psychic Pizza Deliveries To The Ghost Town. It has an interesting concept but I really don't know how to play it as a delivery boy. I just kept trying to find a wall and go from there but It's probably better to just spiral out from your starting space maybe? I really need to play it more to figure out where I stand on it.

The game will be as difficult as the ghost mayor makes it. Part of why I’m so keen on it is that it’s so easy for anyone to be the GM, unlike tragedy looper. I think going one direction until you hit a wall is fine. Game scales with how many deliveries you must make but I think having fewer players is actually more difficult since you’ll have less players to share the map. I played it 1-on-1 as a deliverer and went one direction, teleported and kept going the same direction, teleported again and went the same direction such that my friend felt bad for me and kept saying “you feel like you’ve been here before” both times as I backtracked to my starting location twice. :smoobles: needless to say I didn’t make the delivery nor did I even come close to smelling the pizza.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I played '62 yesterday and there was at least one incident where someone miscalculated their revenue because although we had green tiles, we didn't have green payouts. I was amazed it actually affected anything, I thought we were just grumbling. Also we very sombrely placed a black token on top of the misprint on the payout chart. I still think it's well produced overall, though maybe my standards have been lowered by playing too many Lonny games.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Losem posted:

i've found AH 3e is easiest at 4, 3 seems to be a sweet spot. the game does not really include anything particularly scaling based on player count, even the way to finish the story doesn't seem to account for player numbers. the only thing particularly variable is elite monster health. Some goals require more 'hits' but the additional players makes it require about the same amount of in game time

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 17, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If you get the right group of players King's Dilemma is fuckin' incredible.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

If only the scoring wasn't contingent on voting to move tokens up and down an open scale.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Lampsacus posted:

If only the scoring wasn't contingent on voting to move tokens up and down an open scale.

Works for us...

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
So I work in the library service, and I recently moved branch/gained seniority and am interested in creating a board game collection as a special project since we're in the process of diversifying generally (Makerspace area, graphic novels area, coding set up, etc etc). There's been a lot of useful info online, but I'm trying to come up with mostly casual to mid-weight games that introduce general game concepts, with a few heavier picks for advanced players. I'm not sure what format these will be used in just yet, though borrowing to take home is off the table for the time being. If you have any experience of that though, please do chime in with how it worked/how you found it!

Anyone have suggestions to add or thoughts? Some I've already got as personal donations. I don't quite have a handle on what budget will be like, as we're a relatively underfunded jurisdiction, but hoping I'll be able to argue my way up to a satisfying number.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's a pretty solid list for a general library but I would drop Robo Rally entirely and maybe add a few more 2p dedicated games (Patchwork is a great choice).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

My impression is that most, if not all of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series have significant and story-altering printing issues that never seem to be completely resolved without lots of checking around online.

Is that the case?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Schizophonic posted:

So I work in the library service, and I recently moved branch/gained seniority and am interested in creating a board game collection as a special project since we're in the process of diversifying generally (Makerspace area, graphic novels area, coding set up, etc etc). There's been a lot of useful info online, but I'm trying to come up with mostly casual to mid-weight games that introduce general game concepts, with a few heavier picks for advanced players. I'm not sure what format these will be used in just yet, though borrowing to take home is off the table for the time being. If you have any experience of that though, please do chime in with how it worked/how you found it!

Anyone have suggestions to add or thoughts? Some I've already got as personal donations. I don't quite have a handle on what budget will be like, as we're a relatively underfunded jurisdiction, but hoping I'll be able to argue my way up to a satisfying number.

so i am about to purge a good chunk of my collection. there are some games that are not worth trying to sell because with shipping i'll never compete with amazon and mm. if you want, i can try and get a handle on what games these are and throw them your way for cost of shipping and maybe like :10bux:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
As fantastic as Galaxy Trucker is, it tends to be a very loud game (due to the realtime element) and maybe not perfectly suited to a library environment?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lampsacus posted:

Perhaps if we found a way to make each session three hours longer where you place worker-pawn tokens on various spaces to buy stock in the various sliders, draft a set of power tokens to place in your bag for voting time while also deck-building more powerful yay or nay cards from a fixed market, we'd have a REAL game!

The King's Dilemma 12XX: Intrigue - Invasion, coming soon to REAL hobbyists everywhere.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

We go to board game cafes a lot. Some thoughts:

There's some games that are hard to keep in a functional state. The trains for Colt Express will get destroyed immediately. Galaxy Trucker has a ton of little bits (eg. batteries) that will get lost. The little markers that come with Fake Artist will quickly die - and that's pretty much all that's in the box.

Probably want to work in a copy of Settlers of Catan - people will expect it to be there. Don't give in to people who want Risk or Monopoly, but Catan will get played a lot.

Get Avalon instead of base Resistance - it's more accessible, despite having more going on.

Cat Lady.

But yeah, I think you've done a good job covering bases.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

along the same lines, Betrayal at House on the Hill also has that level of brand recognition and may be worth looking into.

I've never played it, but I know a lot of people who have only played that, Codenames, and Catan as their designer board games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Memnaelar posted:

Perhaps if we found a way to make each session three hours longer where you place worker-pawn tokens on various spaces to buy stock in the various sliders, draft a set of power tokens to place in your bag for voting time while also deck-building more powerful yay or nay cards from a fixed market, we'd have a REAL game!

The King's Dilemma 12XX: Intrigue - Invasion, coming soon to REAL hobbyists everywhere.

This game is John Company.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Schizophonic posted:

Kemet is unplayable until you print an extra 4 copies of the power tile and DI card player guides.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Chill la Chill posted:

This game is John Company.

...I mean, I'm not going to lie, that perversely does make me more interested in John Company.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Memnaelar posted:

Somehow this gave me a game idea:

18x: rear end Carting in Commodus's Rome

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CommonShore posted:

Somehow this gave me a game idea:

18x: rear end Carting in Commodus's Rome

:eyepop:

18EA, eat rear end

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks for the responses guys, noting it all.

Bottom Liner posted:

That's a pretty solid list for a general library but I would drop Robo Rally entirely and maybe add a few more 2p dedicated games (Patchwork is a great choice).

I included it for the action coding element, but Colt Express is there in that place I suppose? Patchwork is a good choice though, definitely will add it.

Shadow225 posted:

so i am about to purge a good chunk of my collection. there are some games that are not worth trying to sell because with shipping i'll never compete with amazon and mm. if you want, i can try and get a handle on what games these are and throw them your way for cost of shipping and maybe like :10bux:

With it being States(?) to Ireland shipping would likely be killer, but thank you for the thought!

Gutter Owl posted:

As fantastic as Galaxy Trucker is, it tends to be a very loud game (due to the realtime element) and maybe not perfectly suited to a library environment?

So I don't know about other countries, but in Ireland's libraries have been kind of rebranded as 'community spaces' in the last ten years. So while screaming and running around is still not ideal, no one gets shushed and generally there's an expected understanding that if you come in to study, there can and likely will be groups using the space speaking etc (I don't know how anyone studies when the knitting group is in :psyduck: ).

Regarding games that are harder to keep in a good state, that is a very good point, I'll have a think about it. And yeah, Catan and, much as it pains me, Betrayal should probably both go top of the list retrospectively.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

When i had family members ask why i do a board games, i tried replying with games that spawned genres, but were still some fun in their own right. I went with Pandemic, Agricola, and Dominions?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

ketchup vs catsup posted:

My impression is that most, if not all of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series have significant and story-altering printing issues that never seem to be completely resolved without lots of checking around online.

Is that the case?

I think that's only the Carlton House box. We played through all of the base game aka Thames Murders without running into any problems like that, and I've not heard anything along those lines for West End Mysteries either.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NRVNQSR posted:

I think that's only the Carlton House box. We played through all of the base game aka Thames Murders without running into any problems like that, and I've not heard anything along those lines for West End Mysteries either.

That's our experience as well from doing the 6 West End cases and about half the Thames Murder ones.

New set of cases is due soon too.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah na yeah, I mean I'd rather it have less mechanics. I am a massive fan of not playing economic euros. 5/10 dig though cheers mate!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Glazius posted:

There are routes you can only travel if you have a guild seal, but it seems like the special actions can always be used, you just don't get as much without an improved guild seal?

You're right. But all the special guild actions are near the end of the map. So I don't believe it's worth it to pay those high travel costs unless you have said improved guild seal.

Shadow225 posted:

along the same lines, Betrayal at House on the Hill also has that level of brand recognition and may be worth looking into.

I've never played it, but I know a lot of people who have only played that, Codenames, and Catan as their designer board games.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is peak ameritrash. It's a game with a random traitor scenario selected after about 20-30 minutes of mindless wandering by the players. 25% of the time, this results in a tense and interesting conflict between the traitor and the other players. The rest of the time, it's a forgone conclusion or a total mess of rules. Regardless, Betrayal is a really random game. But it does have a lot of scenarios, so players that like novelty more than anything else, love it.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 17, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah I also remember when libraries were expected to be quiet. Maybe the ones in schools, but not community ones any more.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah na yeah, I mean I'd rather it have less mechanics. I am a massive fan of not playing economic euros. 5/10 dig though cheers mate!

You're it. You're the one person in this thread who wants less mechanics in a boardgame that's light enough to make people question whether it's actually a boardgame.

My bad for lumping you in with the herd on the other side. 10/10 uniqueness factor for you!

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah I also remember when libraries were expected to be quiet. Maybe the ones in schools, but not community ones any more.

Definitely not quiet in secondary school libraries. Printed text has definitely moved down the ladder in terms of how it is valued as a resource, at least as far as kids are concerned. Libraries are gaming spaces and places to catch up on work on personal devices

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Not a fan of cube economy games myself, and I feel like this thread is pretty heavy on people who don't feel the same.

I played Explorers of the North Sea + Rocks of Ruin last night and had a blast. Really simply mechanics, just the right amount of loving each other over with tile placement and Catan-like settlements. I went all in on Garphill games stuff a month or so ago and haven't regretted it in the slightest. This is probably the simplest of the bunch, and feels like a great beer and pretzels game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Less mechanics is actually why I love 18xx, splotter, and some wargames. Lots of new heavy euros eschew elegance for complexity and obfuscation. People used to joke about Vlaada mashing mechanics together, but his old designs hold up very well. Compare them to a Lacerda or one of the Italian atelier games.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Is that the case?

No, the reprints have fixed a great deal of them, though some remain

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Betrayal at House on the Hill is peak ameritrash. It's a game with a random traitor scenario selected after about 20-30 minutes of mindless wandering by the players. 25% of the time, this results in a tense and interesting conflict between the traitor and the other players. The rest of the time, it's a forgone conclusion or a total mess of rules. Regardless, Betrayal is a really random game. But it does have a lot of scenarios, so players that like novelty more than anything else, love it.

This is correct, it is an absolutely terrible game.

How about something like Whitehall Mystery, that a fun game and of a type you dont have on the list there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Less mechanics is actually why I love 18xx, splotter, and some wargames. Lots of new heavy euros eschew elegance for complexity and obfuscation. People used to joke about Vlaada mashing mechanics together, but his old designs hold up very well. Compare them to a Lacerda or one of the Italian atelier games.

gonna respectfully disagree with you wrt Vlaada. His heavier offerings are mashing so many mechanics together that it hurts the brain to teach.