Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

An 0/3 that can brick its ETB is probably a lot shittier than the next worst card in a Top 8 I can think of.

Bricking that ETB is like a Hero of Precinct One that can't make tokens, you kept a bad hand for your gameplan and it's not the card's fault you goofed that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Bricking that ETB is like a Hero of Precinct One that can't make tokens, you kept a bad hand for your gameplan and it's not the card's fault you goofed that hard.

If you draw a Hero late game you can do a lot more with it than a Grazer, even if it takes a lot going right.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

First cards when?

EDR releases in October, so spoilers probably won't start until first week of September. PAX West is August 30 - September 2 and they usually have some kind of panel to start spoiling the fall set there

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
personally i think the creature with defensive speed that puts lands onto the battlefield seems like a really good addition to a combo deck that wins by having lots of lands on the battlefield

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Well there's no typeline on the right frame of the storybook, is there? That would rule out a different type, like a sorcery or such.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Torchlighter posted:

Well there's no typeline on the right frame of the storybook, is there? That would rule out a different type, like a sorcery or such.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

How would that work in the special alternate frame they showed?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

little munchkin posted:

personally i think the creature with defensive speed that puts lands onto the battlefield seems like a really good addition to a combo deck that wins by having lots of lands on the battlefield

Also it is a cute sloth, very cubeable.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Jabor posted:

How would that work in the special alternate frame they showed?

it still had the light green/dark green bands above the left-hand frame, so presumably there's some text over it they hid

e: for reference, so you can see what i mean:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1127461303579136001

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
brb building 40grazers.dec

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Grazer owns in the deck, except when it dose not, which is any turn after 2.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I thought that tweet was in the context of limited, but even if it wasn't, it was probably a fair take at the time. Before, you know,

little munchkin posted:

a combo deck that wins by having lots of lands on the battlefield

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's a T1 ramp dork that can freely die after hitting the battlefield and accelerates you into your T3 ramp dork.

It's definitely not a good card by objective measures but it's putting in work here.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

if he's talking about limited he's right

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's funny now that we are so close to Ixalan rotating Vampires and Dinosaurs are viable.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Yeah it was about limited.

https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1153137330984648705

https://twitter.com/lsv/status/1153137481354584064

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it also has reach which can buy a turn

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

It's funny now that we are so close to Ixalan rotating Vampires and Dinosaurs are viable.

That’s a common part of standard design, timing core sets to give certain decks (particularly lesser archetypes) one last shot in the arm before they rotate out

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Like, say, lands and scapeshift.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
or like, cat and pact

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Cards from the upcoming Brawl precons

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/new-era-brawl-2019-07-22

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
These standard legal?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

These standard legal?

Yup

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Lamo

https://twitter.com/quincognito_/status/1152801737788407808

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

dragon enthusiast posted:

EDR releases in October, so spoilers probably won't start until first week of September. PAX West is August 30 - September 2 and they usually have some kind of panel to start spoiling the fall set there

The set's code is ELD which, once again, has nothing to do with the Eldrazi.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

wait til people find out Rise of Eldrazi had nothing to do with fish eggs they'll be FURIOUS

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

this bringing to mind ubisoft bundle charts probably isn't coincidental

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

^^^ *efb ^^^

This looks like those tables people make about the contents of the fifteen different editions of an Assassin's Creed game

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I wasn't expecting to get potentially decent cards from the brawl decks. That mana rock isn't bad.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Aranan posted:

I wasn't expecting to get potentially decent cards from the brawl decks. That mana rock isn't bad.

I do hope it's also in all the new commander precons, since it looks mandatory in any multicolor commander deck, and I don't want to buy the brawl decks. Which of course, makes it likely to be unique to those decks (and collector packs) for exactly that reason.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Rofl buy-a-box gets you just the buy-a-box and nothing else according to the chart.

It's easy to make any system look stupid and make goons clutch their mox pearls if you lie.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Rofl buy-a-box gets you just the buy-a-box and nothing else according to the chart.

It's easy to make any system look stupid and make goons clutch their mox pearls if you lie.

It makes it scan easier to see that there is a unique card in the bundle and buy-a-box promotion, without filling up a bunch of columns due to the fact that boxes contain packs.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
yeah the chart just lets you see which SKUs contain the exact card and treatment you are looking for. They've already announced that you get a free collector booster along with the promo when you buy a box

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It's actually not as bad as I thought when originally reading about it. The only things unique to the collectors packs are the extended art cards and foil common showcases.

We'll see if the limited print run can overcome the fact that making things specifically to be collectable basically never works.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tainen posted:

Cards from the upcoming Brawl precons

I like Chaucer as a commander.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1153333423487848449

finally

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Do you guys know anyone who is serious about collecting still? Like, foil playset of everything? There can't be that many of em any more with all the sdccs, masterpieces, masters sets, animu edition and all that. This just multiplied the number off editions of each card from 2-3 (normal, foil, dated prererelease) to like eight. I don't think there's anyone really who can realistically expect to get a full collection of everything.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do you guys know anyone who is serious about collecting still? Like, foil playset of everything? There can't be that many of em any more with all the sdccs, masterpieces, masters sets, animu edition and all that. This just multiplied the number off editions of each card from 2-3 (normal, foil, dated prererelease) to like eight. I don't think there's anyone really who can realistically expect to get a full collection of everything.

I can hear the sound of the whales in the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think the thing they're thinking is that as long as the whaley types want one of the new things they'll buy the $20 packs to get it. By expanding their range of special things they're looking to increase the chances somebody looks at a specific one and says 'I want that.'