Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

You still need to do the rest of the characters.

it would be pretty much the same, though. they don't actually change that much.

if scarlet grace comes out and i can afford it then i'll do an lp of that one, ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You loving better

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna kinda post my thoughts on ff6 as I play it, and my first big one is

South Figaro's layout and the secret doors and poo poo does a great job of selling it's the home of a resistance movement

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Playing IX again because it’s one of my favorite games ever and it’s on Switch. I’ve played this game probably a half dozen times, but never put much effort into learning Blue Magic for Quina. I’m giving it more of an effort this time, and goddamn, is it a pain in the rear end. Either I kill the monster I’m trying to eat, or I stretch the battle out forever by toying with it until I can eat it. So far, most of the spells I’ve learned suck. Is it worth it to learn any more?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TL posted:

Playing IX again because it’s one of my favorite games ever and it’s on Switch. I’ve played this game probably a half dozen times, but never put much effort into learning Blue Magic for Quina. I’m giving it more of an effort this time, and goddamn, is it a pain in the rear end. Either I kill the monster I’m trying to eat, or I stretch the battle out forever by toying with it until I can eat it. So far, most of the spells I’ve learned suck. Is it worth it to learn any more?

there are some fun little gimmick attacks but I don't think it's ever really that useful. you can make it a little better if you use Quina's trance since it ups the limit for Devour to work from 1/4 max hp to 1/2 max hp, I think.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TL posted:

Just look them up because I'm pretty sure that like all FF games not named FFV there is only like one or two blue magic spells even worth bothering with. Not that you really need to because Quina is a story and combat benchwarmer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Was trance bar none the worst limit break mechanic in any ff ever

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Calaveron posted:

FF6 and 8's desperation attacks blow. 8 at least had a spell that just said "Cast this to get infinite LB".

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Calaveron posted:

Easily. I’ve beaten the game half a dozen times and it came in handy maybe twice.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yeah. Like even if almost nobody ever saw the ones in 6 at least they didn't slow down the game and make you feel like you wasted a resource on a random encounter.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I didn't even know FF6 had desperation attacks until years later, so I'm going to say that's the most useless one

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

FF6 and 8's desperation attacks blow. 8 at least had a spell that just said "Cast this to get infinite LB".

you could also just press triangle to reload the menu and potentially get a limit to pop up.

I think I've maybe seen a desperation attack in VI once.

all that's wrong with trance mechanically is that you can't bank it and save it for the next fight, but it makes more sense in the story that you can't because it's supposed to be a sudden surge of emotion.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Junction your best spells to Squall's HP stat and then never heal him, bingo bango easy game.

8 is hilariously broken in so many ways.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I didn't even know FF6 had desperation attacks until years later, so I'm going to say that's the most useless one

i had it happen to me once and basically thought the game glitched out

which was a valid concern, because i literally saw some variant of the sketch glitch the first time I played and had to figure out what I wanted to do with 100+ Excaliburs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

TL posted:

There's plenty of great spells. Night is a mass sleep to everyone and can be easily abused by putting sleep resistance skills and gear on your party. White Wind and Mighty Guard are as amazing as always. Frog Drop can be farmed to the damage cap. Pumpkin Head can do big damage early on if you let Quina stick at low health. Angel Snack is a cheap auto life with other buffs attached.

Quina may not be as busted in their own game as other Blue Mages were but they are still a Blue Mage.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

There's plenty of great spells. Night is a mass sleep to everyone and can be easily abused by putting sleep resistance skills and gear on your party. White Wind and Mighty Guard are as amazing as always. Frog Drop can be farmed to the damage cap. Pumpkin Head can do big damage early on if you let Quina stick at low health. Angel Snack is a cheap auto life with other buffs attached.

Quina may not be as busted in their own game as other Blue Mages were but they are still a Blue Mage.

Doesn't Quina also learn White Wind or something like it that is a crazy heal for most of the game?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

you could also just press triangle to reload the menu and potentially get a limit to pop up.

I think I've maybe seen a desperation attack in VI once.

all that's wrong with trance mechanically is that you can't bank it and save it for the next fight, but it makes more sense in the story that you can't because it's supposed to be a sudden surge of emotion.

as I recall the big problem with trance was that it took so incredibly long to charge that you'd literally see it like, once every few hours of fighting and so it would never trigger during bosses or anywhere you could actually need it. It was similar to 7's limits except that 7's limits you could reasonably expect to see a couple of times in one boss fight whereas in 9 you'd go hours without seeing it and then Zidane would suddenly go super saiyan on some random goblin.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
One of these days I'm probably going to take Cloud and put the Blue Magic materia on him, cus I've never messed around with it and it seems fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cait Sith was my FF7 blue mage and highly effective

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah but I mean putting it on an actual good character that will always be used and is likeable.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Nephzinho posted:

Doesn't Quina also learn White Wind or something like it that is a crazy heal for most of the game?

Yes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gologle posted:

Yeah but I mean putting it on an actual good character that will always be used and is likeable.

Yeah so did I

can you read my posts okay??

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

Unfortunately it’s looking less and less likely that Iscar will ever actually get into FF7 so...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I should start wearing my glasses on weekends.

Quina is very good but annoying to do the legwork to make good. Which isn't always worth it in a game where pretty much everyone is already good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mega64 posted:

Unfortunately it’s looking less and less likely that Iscar will ever actually get into FF7 so...

It's a bad game so good

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Trance would be fine if a) you could choose when it goes off or b) it happened so often it didn't matter that it was random

Oh well

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gologle posted:

One of these days I'm probably going to take Cloud and put the Blue Magic materia on him, cus I've never messed around with it and it seems fun.
You put enemy skill on everyone because it has the best actions for trash fights (and most story boss fights too) in it. But especially Cloud because he has best innate magic I think of everyone. Maybe Vincent has better? but his limit breaks are bad.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wouldn't have an issue with Trance if it didn't go off pretty much at the end of battles anyway, wasting them.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Nephzinho posted:

Magic Hammer can knock off thousands of MP in a single cast which makes magic casting bosses easy, at least until you get to Kuja and blow away his MP only to learn that Flare Star doesn't cost MP and he'll just spam it without said MP

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zedprime posted:

You put enemy skill on everyone because it has the best actions for trash fights (and most story boss fights too) in it. But especially Cloud because he has best innate magic I think of everyone. Maybe Vincent has better? but his limit breaks are bad.

aeris and red xiii have higher base magic than cloud iirc

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Calaveron posted:

They're not weak or anything but quickenings are probably my least favourite

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

They're not weak or anything but quickenings are probably my least favourite

Quickening in vanilla 12 unlocked a huge increase in your MP pool so even if you never used them them were great and then in the revised versions they remain really good at letting you bypass the trickster hunt.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also I yell "THE QUICKENING!" whenever I use them.

I should get around to fnishing FFXII one of these days. I was at Pharos tower.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also I yell "THE QUICKENING!" whenever I use them.

I should get around to fnishing FFXII one of these days. I was at Pharos tower.

Eh, Pharos sucks a lot and theres barely any game after that.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

The White Dragon posted:

your avatar is sick dude

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Candlelight Virgil posted:

your avatar is sick dude

Then use an Antidote on it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Mega64 posted:

Then use an Antidote on it.

yours is cool too, jeeze

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Barudak posted:

Eh, Pharos sucks a lot and theres barely any game after that.

Sure there is. You get to do Pharos again except this time you are going down.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Cloud and Aeris were the highest, followed by I think Cait, but it's been a long time since I've looked so I could be wrong. Cloud in general has incredible stats in most categories by a lot- I think the only stat that he wasn't the best or very close to the best at was Dexterity, where he was pretty middle of the pack.

Calaveron posted:

I mean, I don't think any FF has ever handled their limit mechanic particularly well except for X and kinda sorta VII. They're usually either useless to the point of ignoring them completely (IX, VI, XIII) or they're broken and abusable to the point of being able to exploit them to rip the game apart (VIII, XII) and very little in-between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

13 doesn't have limit breaks, unless you mean the unique abilities every character gets, which are extremely good.