Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I haven't used my bike for a couple of weeks. It's in a parking garage, on the center stand, full tank of gas with stabilizer, battery is sitting in my house hooked up to a charger.

Is there any issue with slapping the battery back in and taking it for a ride, once every few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Not really. If you can, you may want to put it back with a full tank stabilized so you don't get condensation in the head space.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

epswing posted:

I haven't used my bike for a couple of weeks. It's in a parking garage, on the center stand, full tank of gas with stabilizer, battery is sitting in my house hooked up to a charger.

Is there any issue with slapping the battery back in and taking it for a ride, once every few weeks?

None at all. Sometimes, it'll be a couple of weeks between rides for me due to weather and vacations and whatnot.

Never had a problem with just leaving it parked, I don't even bother with a charger for the battery or anything apart from making sure it's got a full tank of gas.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Sweet.

And how much stablizer (seafoam?) should I be adding to a 20L tank?

E: Bah, I scanned the bottle and didn't see it. Going blind.

epswing fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 6, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It says on the bottle :eng101: - if it's already got stabilizer in it, pay attention to how much you top up.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I sold all of my motorbikes and I want something fresh and different. I've had the UJM, the sport bike, and the supermoto. Right now I'm thinking something like... A 70's 2 stroke in the 200-500cc range. Am I crazy? Is it going to be a world of pain? It'll mostly be just a bike to puts around on the evenings/weekend. Something like an RD400, TS250, GT550, DT400 etc.

Should I?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

epswing posted:

If you're going to ride it every few weeks, you don't even need to bother with stabilizer. Some people think that once winter comes it's like they're making a loving mummy in egypt or something and breaking code. It isn't rocket science, especially if it's only being off for a month-ish at a time. Don't worry about it. Ride the drat thing, and if you're anal, top it off with fresh gas. We're only 3-4 months to spring now. I'm pretty much at the point if I fired up my bike and didn't start it up again until riding season, I wouldn't care or do anything special.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I park my bike in a semi-heated attached garage in November, hook it to a tender, and then start it up again in April. All I've ever done is make sure the tank is full. I tend to burn through a tank or two weekly though, so even the winter tank doesn't last long once riding season starts.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MrZig posted:

A 70's 2 stroke in the 200-500cc range.

My DT175 is a hoot. Stone age simplicity, too. I hear from a lot of places that Suzuki smokers are the best but I like my Yamaha just fine even if it only goes like 45 right now. Nothing beats the sound and the smell, and once I make it run right [it leans out and bogs hard at 5-7k] it should rip pretty good.

You can get a 2 stroke runner like that for a couple hundred bucks if you keep your eyes peeled. Look out for good exhaust and body pieces, those are the most expensive to replace.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
This "winter" has helped it, but I like to try the witerize system where I just try to ride the bikes every free chance I get. So far I don't think there has been more than 3 weeks stuck in the garage. I've even taken my fz6 for a few short runs in it's partial naked conversion state.

By that I mean I haven't gotten the naked parts yet so it has no lights, cowling, or speedo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrZig posted:

I sold all of my motorbikes and I want something fresh and different. I've had the UJM, the sport bike, and the supermoto. Right now I'm thinking something like... A 70's 2 stroke in the 200-500cc range. Am I crazy? Is it going to be a world of pain? It'll mostly be just a bike to puts around on the evenings/weekend. Something like an RD400, TS250, GT550, DT400 etc.

Should I?

You should, old two strokes are awesome, and really fun.

Suzukis were, in my mind the most reliable of the 70's two strokes, but there's nothing that should stop you from picking up an rd or h-series bike.

Also, shameless plug: https://www.2strokeworld.com

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Today is rather warm for Ohio, we're at about 45F. So I decided to take the bike out. Dug through my closet for my gear, found my key, got geared up, and walked outside to uncover my bike. I noticed that I forgot to renew my registration as soon as I saw the plate. Then I realized that I never renewed my insurance. Oh well, March is only three months away!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've gotten getting the battery in or out down to a 15-minute evolution. Thanks, Triumph, for making me have to lift the tank to this, and having lots of little metal tabs on the tank mounts that like to go flying / hide under the newly installed battery.

Of course, in fairness that 15 minutes inevitably includes one extra trip up to my apartment for the right size ratchet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Had my first taste of dirt today. It was awesome. The XL and the DT performed well. I fell off and did a faceplant at about 5mph and now I am sore. Now I have to look for MX gear to wear. First puddle and my boots were puddles.

Wife rode the Honda, I rode the smoker.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sweet. Offroad riding is fun, no?

Nothing like ripping it up in the dirt on an old smoker

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Do most old 2 strokes require fuel/oil mixing? Or do they have oil injection? Or depends on bike?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MrZig posted:

Do most old 2 strokes require fuel/oil mixing? Or do they have oil injection? Or depends on bike?

Depends on the bike, but most of them (from the '70s and on) has an oil tank and injection directly in the crankcase and/or main crankshaft bearings.

The Suzuki GT series has the most advanced lubrication system called SRIS (Suzuki Recycle Injection System) I was pretty amazed first time I opened the block on my first GT750. The RD/TZ series from Yamaha likewise has a really good lubrication system if you go for the later (YPVS) models.

I was kind of disappointed with my RD400 (non YPVS), but was really pleasantly surprised when I got my TZ350YPVS and RD500YPVS. The YPVS isn't related to lubrication at all (it's a exhaust valve system) but it's where Yamaha figured out how to effectively lubricate a two stroke.

Most smaller two strokes won't have active lubrication. I've had a lot of smaller Yamaha, Kreidler and Puch two strokes that required mixed gas, but my Kawasaki KH125 (great bike by the way) had an oil tank.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 8, 2012

Angry Toenail
Mar 20, 2007

Grr
I just recently bought and am learning to ride on a 2007 Yamaha Scorpio SX4.

All I've managed so far is to ride around my local neighbourhood (much to the chargrin of my neighbours, I'm sure).

My area is really hilly and I haven't quite mastered the art of hill-starting. Until then, I'm hesitant to venture too far. :3:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Angry Toenail posted:

All I've managed so far is to ride around my local neighbourhood (much to the chargrin of my neighbours, I'm sure).

My area is really hilly and I haven't quite mastered the art of hill-starting. Until then, I'm hesitant to venture too far. :3:

Besides the brakes (an upgrade will be kind of expensive) it's actually a really solid bike. I think it's a great no-nonsense starter bike. Congrats.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Angry Toenail posted:

Thats a nice little bike, what country are you in, I've never seen one of those before.

re: Hill Starts. Hold the bike with the rear brake on hills then rev it up a bit and slip the clutch until you feel the bike take up the chain tension, then ease off on the rear brake and gently let the clutch out fully. If anything goes wrong just clutch in, apply the rear brake and start again. Slipping wont hurt the bikes clutch the same way as a cars.

Practice on flat ground till your comfortable with modulating the gas/throttle and brake. the ideal engine speed/amount of clutch slip will vary from bike to bike so you just have to learn whats best for yours.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

MrZig posted:

These old Yamaha 2 stroke enduros typically have an autoluber - a pump that runs via gear off the crank, pulls oil from the underseat reservoir, meters it into the carburetor.

Lots of dudes block off the autolube system and go with premix. Mine seems to work fine, so it stays.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On older Suzukis, don't premix unless you have to. Any Suzuki running a CCI or later system will be injecting oil right into the bottom end bearings, which is great for longevity. When you premix them, you lose that oil to the bottom end, or at least greatly reduce it, as well as longevity.

The Yamaha rd's just put oil into the carbs, so they do fine on premix, and also are generally not as long lived as the Suzukis . Kawis could go either way.

That dt probably just puts oil into the carbs I believe, and it's pretty much expected that you'll do a top end before 15k, especially on an offroad machine.

All that being said, run the pump unless you absolutely can't, as the pump will vary oil delivery based on engine rpm and throttle position, whereas premix just gives the same amount of oil all the time, leading to either running lean or fouling out depending on the throttle position and how you have it premixed.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
All Yamaha DT's run the same system, called AutoLube by Yamaha, I believe. It was frequently used as a selling point specifically for the DT series in the 70s and 80s. Even the small DT50MX uses AutoLube (my first moped).

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So I'm gonna go back to upstate New York in a rented car this coming weekend, a break from my student teaching in New England. It's apparently gonna be frigid this Monday, when I'm due to come back. CURSES. If it was warmer (like this weekend) I'd have snatched my SV out of storage and ridden it back to my internship for the next 7 weeks. I'll be hauling my gf's bicycle back here instead. Sucks having no car or motorrad here.

Anyone in CT have a cheapo bike they'd let go? :smith:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

echomadman posted:

Slipping wont hurt the bikes clutch the same way as a cars.

Why is this?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

epswing posted:

Why is this?

Wet clutches & multiple plates

Angry Toenail
Mar 20, 2007

Grr

echomadman posted:

Thats a nice little bike, what country are you in, I've never seen one of those before.

re: Hill Starts. Hold the bike with the rear brake on hills then rev it up a bit and slip the clutch until you feel the bike take up the chain tension, then ease off on the rear brake and gently let the clutch out fully. If anything goes wrong just clutch in, apply the rear brake and start again. Slipping wont hurt the bikes clutch the same way as a cars.

Practice on flat ground till your comfortable with modulating the gas/throttle and brake. the ideal engine speed/amount of clutch slip will vary from bike to bike so you just have to learn whats best for yours.
New Zealand. They're pretty popular over here amongst learner riders.

Thanks for the tip. I intend to practice.. a lot.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The Yamaha rd's just put oil into the carbs, so they do fine on premix, and also are generally not as long lived as the Suzukis . Kawis could go either way.

Nope, not really. The RDs post the LC series (LCIIs and YPVSs) has an oil-pump that feeds the intake manifold instead of the carburetors. Fun fact is that the pump is actually controlled by the YPVS servo rather than throttle position. Took me more than a couple of minutes to figure out exactly how it worked the first time I wrenched an YPVS RD. It's actually a quite brilliant solution.

It's correct that you can always premix if something goes wrong with a two stroke equipped with SRIS or AutoLube, however doing this might have some negative effects. A constant flow of oil without regard of actual engine state will likely be tough on your spark plugs and it's not really ideal to force your lubrication through your carburetor jets. I personally think there's a slight risk of running lean, but that's pretty much open for debate though.

While we're at it, I have a serious advise for GT riders with SRIS. Never use two stroke oil in the lubrication tank. It's way too thin for the recirculation system to pick up the excessive oil from the bottom of the crankcase. Always use the cheapest 10/40 dino oil available. Your crankshaft bearings and bearing-seals will thank you for doing this.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 9, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nidhg00670000 posted:

All Yamaha DT's run the same system, called AutoLube by Yamaha, I believe. It was frequently used as a selling point specifically for the DT series in the 70s and 80s. Even the small DT50MX uses AutoLube (my first moped).

Yeah, they run a variable pump system, but what I was getting at was that they just put it into the carb bodies (^^^ or apparently the manifolds as well), rather than into the main bearings.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Yeah, they run a variable pump system, but what I was getting at was that they just put it into the carb bodies (^^^ or apparently the manifolds as well), rather than into the main bearings.

Nope. AutoLube only feeds the intake manifolds. Earlier implementations (LC and air-cooled) also only injected the intake manifolds, not the carburetors. The only difference between the "old" and "new" AutoLube is the control. "Old" is Throttle position and the "new" is YPVS servo control.

I think you might confuse AutoLube with some early Kawasaki lubrication systems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

Nope. AutoLube only feeds the intake manifolds. Earlier implementations (LC and air-cooled) also only injected the intake manifolds, not the carburetors. The only difference between the "old" and "new" AutoLube is the control. "Old" is Throttle position and the "new" is YPVS servo control.

I think you might confuse AutoLube with some early Kawasaki lubrication systems.

The lines on my aircooled RD350 ran right into the carb bodies. They still injected oil into the venturi, rather than (thank god) some convoluted jetting nightmare, but they went into the carbs.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Do they make any cars with a wet clutch? Having never driven a manual transmission before getting a bike, I'm worried that I'll completely ruin one if I ever do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SlightlyMadman posted:

Do they make any cars with a wet clutch? Having never driven a manual transmission before getting a bike, I'm worried that I'll completely ruin one if I ever do.

The only cars I know of with wet clutches are bike engine swaps.

But don't worry about it. Most car clutches last at least 100.000km, even with mediocre drivers. Hell, the clutch in my car is known to be underspecced for the engine and I've had no problems at all over the 70.000km I've put on it so far.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Olde Weird Tip posted:

The lines on my aircooled RD350 ran right into the carb bodies. They still injected oil into the venturi, rather than (thank god) some convoluted jetting nightmare, but they went into the carbs.

gently caress you Olde Weirde Tipe! You made me double check. You are correct. Some Air Cooled RDs did indeed inject oil in the back of the venturi. Bastard!

I stand corrected, and will now always think of creative ways of choking you to death while I state that MOST RDs with first generation AutoLube inject the sweet lubrication in the intake manifold.

gently caress.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

SlightlyMadman posted:

Actually a dry clutch is considered an upgrade to most performance bikes.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Sir Cornelius posted:

Actually a dry clutch is considered an upgrade to most performance bikes.

Sure, but a Ducati won't exactly make a difference in my city commute. I can't even remember the last time I got my Bonneville into 5th, and I already have to resist the temptation to rocket out when a light turns green, because there's so many drat fools potentially running the red on the cross street.

I keep telling myself that my next car will be a stick, especially since I rarely ever drive anymore since getting the bike. I'm already at the point where whenever I'm driving my automatic, I feel like I'm forgetting to change gears.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Cornelius posted:

gently caress you Olde Weirde Tipe! You made me double check. You are correct. Some Air Cooled RDs did indeed inject oil in the back of the venturi. Bastard!

I stand corrected, and will now always think of creative ways of choking you to death while I state that MOST RDs with first generation AutoLube inject the sweet lubrication in the intake manifold.

gently caress.

Glad I could be that guy :cheers:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Once I borrowed a friend's automatic Subaru Forrester. We were at a red light, and I put it into neutral so I didn't have to hold the brake (because the drat thing would roll forwards if it was in "D"). A few seconds later I forgot what I was driving, and mashed the clutch (the brake) all the way in, with my left foot. When the light turned green, I'm tapping the gas, letting off the "clutch" a little bit, the engine is working hard, the car is lurching and struggling...ugh.

A few seconds (and a few honks) later I realized both feet were on both pedals. :v:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone that goes to Pacific Grand Prix in Washington: What's the turnout like for the Stars of Supermoto races in the winter? My multi-camera class is looking for events to schedule in the next 2 1/2 months, and I thought some kind of motorcycle racing would be awesome to cover. I'd love to cover a motocross race, but I don't know of any tracks in the King county area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Should be pretty dang good. You'll have at least 20 bikes, up to maybe 40 or so.

As long as the Pughs are there there'll be plenty to shoot too...

Lemmie know if you end up down there for that.