Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jamie Kellner probably didn't care if it was making a mint. He was that big of a dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

Well obviously. He was in "Over The Top."

By the way, just so we're all clear, the arm wrestling tournament at the end of "Over The Top" was double elimination. That means you have to lose twice in order to be disqualified. Again, double elimination. Two losses. Not one.
Scott Norton was in over the top. He was an actual pro arm wrestler at the time, and a pretty good one at that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

Is it accurate to see Goldberg as the golden boy of WCW?

I only ask because I remember the "GOOOOLDBERG" chants being piped in, but maybe that was during his first 6 months.

If anything the WCW didn't back Goldberg hard enough. If you look at the mainstream publicity he was clearly their hottest star, but they ended the streak too early, his title reign too early, and kept him kinda second fiddle through '99 and 2000.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

triplexpac posted:

Road Wild 98 actually did a good buyrate, so I guess Leno was worth it.

Bash at the Beach 98 was a really big buyrate as well, so Malone and Rodman did well on top.

Not saying you're wrong, you did say "most" of these people. It's just interesting to see the experiments that worked.

Had Road Wild '98 been booked WITHOUT Leno and that stupid angle, I don't think the PPV would've tanked. Right? I'd be impressed if someone could justify the time and money spent on promoting the Talk Show feud, to where the investment actually made them money. But I doubt it.

However, Malone actually did okay, for a celeb wrestler. He didn't embarrass himself, and genuinely seemed interested in working with DDP, which is more than I can say for Rodman. But, again, did the money spent on those two come back, with profit, in PPV buys?

I fully expect someone to point out that exposure from mainstream celebrities provides brand exposure, and all that jazz - which I agree with, but just not to the degree that WCW seemed to think. They had tons of puppets, and cheerleaders, and bands, and rappers, and they're no longer in business.

DeathChicken posted:

Jackie Chan? When did I miss that one?

Wasn't he one of the real-life tough guys that cheered on Goldberg along with JCVD and Norris?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Road Wild did just above the average buyrate for WCW in 98. Leno was in no way worth it, especially since they could have built up a big Goldberg singles match instead, at a time when he was red hot. It would also mean no nWo Nightcap ruining Nitro and killing ratings that month.

Bash at the Beach was really profitable for WCW.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

MassRafTer posted:

Leno was in no way worth it
Not to mention that he treated wrestling like a joke.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I just remembered Will Sasso's Mad TV feud with Bret Hart - how did that work out?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Red posted:

I just remembered Will Sasso's Mad TV feud with Bret Hart - how did that work out?

Badly, for everyone. Especially anyone watching it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

nWo Nightcap might very well be the worst wrestling television ever produced. It was intentionally insufferable, a goal they more than surpassed, and the segments could run as long as twenty minutes all in an attempt to mock Jay Leno to set up a Jay Leno wrestling match.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I only really remember Mark Madden calling him "Will Fatso". Which reminds me of Mean Gene versus Mark Madden, of which the only bright point was Madden didn't win.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Red posted:

However, Malone actually did okay, for a celeb wrestler. He didn't embarrass himself, and genuinely seemed interested in working with DDP, which is more than I can say for Rodman. But, again, did the money spent on those two come back, with profit, in PPV buys?

Malone and Rodman played each other maybe a week before their PPV match, and there were a couple of times where they were obviously doing poo poo to build interest for the match. They kept fouling each other, and on a fast break got tangled up and flopped around well behind the play. I think even the play-by-play guy was embarrassed by it and said something like "And here they're obviously trying to make some news for their upcoming :rolleyes: wrestling :rolleyes: match."

now I have to go back and watch the match because I remember them being okay at some basic stuff, but they looked oddly skinny next to all the WCW guys. I think that was the last of the celebrity stunt booking that actually worked.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Static Rook posted:

Malone and Rodman played each other maybe a week before their PPV match, and there were a couple of times where they were obviously doing poo poo to build interest for the match. They kept fouling each other, and on a fast break got tangled up and flopped around well behind the play. I think even the play-by-play guy was embarrassed by it and said something like "And here they're obviously trying to make some news for their upcoming :rolleyes: wrestling :rolleyes: match."

now I have to go back and watch the match because I remember them being okay at some basic stuff, but they looked oddly skinny next to all the WCW guys. I think that was the last of the celebrity stunt booking that actually worked.

I remember Malone doing the diamond cutter sign during a game, and Bob Costas ripped him for it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

nWo Nightcap might very well be the worst wrestling television ever produced. It was intentionally insufferable, a goal they more than surpassed, and the segments could run as long as twenty minutes all in an attempt to mock Jay Leno to set up a Jay Leno wrestling match.

It's the one lovely thing in wrestling history that has always been difficult to find youtube videos of. No one has any interest in uploading that garbage.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
gently caress Bob Costas

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

haljordan posted:

Only $10,000? That seems cheap for Buffer.

I heard that by the end he was milking them for all their Billionaire Ted bucks and charging them upwards of $200k per appearance. Buffer adds legitimacy but not $100,000 worth of legitimacy. He was also doing UFC when he signed the exclusive WCW deal. Imagine if UFC was being done by Buffer for the last 15 years.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 8, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I honestly have to give the man credit for milking that one thing as much as anyone possibly could, and doing so successfully.

Granted it helped that WCW spent money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I heard that by the end he was milking them for all their Billionaire Ted bucks and charging them upwards of $200k per appearance. Buffer adds legitimacy but not $100,000 worth of legitimacy.

There's no way it was anywhere close to that. 10K seems like the most reliable number. This is a company that was cutting costs in late 95 and their average gate for major shows was under $100,000. They weren't paying that or twice that to Buffer.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

There's no way it was anywhere close to that. 10K seems like the most reliable number. This is a company that was cutting costs in late 95 and their average gate for major shows was under $100,000. They weren't paying that or twice that to Buffer.

I'm talking about 2001 after they spent millions on celebrities to sit around and do nothing, not 1995.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chris Gaines posted:

gently caress Bob Costas

Eh, to be fair to Costas, Malone and Rodman were being paid handsomely to win a professional basketball game, not try to work in a way to promote a wrestling match during an NBA broadcast.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm talking about 2001 after they spent millions on celebrities to sit around and do nothing, not 1995.

I don't think he got a 10x or 20x pay raise over that period. Hogan or Nash would not be happy that Michael Buffer was the highest paid performer on Nitro.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I thought I read somewhere that they got a discount on Buffer because of the Turner umbrella?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I honestly have to give the man credit for milking that one thing as much as anyone possibly could, and doing so successfully.

Granted it helped that WCW spent money like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

He was on Stern one time and yea the guy basically has the greatest life ever. Most of the interview was spent discussing his smoking hot girlfriend.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Well, it is Stern.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Maxwell Lord posted:

If anything the WCW didn't back Goldberg hard enough. If you look at the mainstream publicity he was clearly their hottest star, but they ended the streak too early, his title reign too early, and kept him kinda second fiddle through '99 and 2000.

All I remember is that Goldberg won the title and yet was not in main events still. He was still going before Hogan on PPVs. Plus, they didn't build up any threats to him so when he was defending his title it was against people who had no business being in heavyweight championship matches at all. Plus he would still dominate the matches so it was hard to care when you knew Goldberg was going to dominate.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ColeM posted:

All I remember is that Goldberg won the title and yet was not in main events still. He was still going before Hogan on PPVs. Plus, they didn't build up any threats to him so when he was defending his title it was against people who had no business being in heavyweight championship matches at all. Plus he would still dominate the matches so it was hard to care when you knew Goldberg was going to dominate.

I think half the reason Goldberg/Raven worked so well is because A.) the Flock stable presented a real challenge to Bill, and B.) WCW fans were conditioned to expect run-ins and screwjob finishes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

haljordan posted:

He was on Stern one time and yea the guy basically has the greatest life ever. Most of the interview was spent discussing his smoking hot girlfriend.

Doesn't matter how much he made off WCW, he's still made tens of millions of dollars in his career, not just from announcing but from licensing his likeness and especially his catchphrase.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Red posted:

Eh, to be fair to Costas, Malone and Rodman were being paid handsomely to win a professional basketball game, not try to work in a way to promote a wrestling match during an NBA broadcast.

That's not what happened. It was a Finals game, they didn't gently caress with it just to promote a match. They got tangled up and then Rodman tripped him repeatedly when they were trying to get up. They were both notoriously dirty players in a heated game, and neither of them particularly liked the other. It didn't have anything to do with the stupid match. It looked kinda like wrestling so Costas brought that up, and he did it in a disgusted tone because he hates pro wrestling (see his notorious interview with Vince on his HBO show years later). He said something like "I can't believe Malone would lower himself to doing one of those fake wrestling matches" or something to that effect (which is idiotic, since Malone is country is gently caress and loved wrestling, and has done stuff that is way scummier than pretend fighting). He wasn't disgusted because he thought they were staging something, he was just disgusted by the idea of a real athlete participating in pro wrestling.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

MourningView posted:

He wasn't disgusted because he thought they were staging something, he was just disgusted by the idea of a real athlete participating in pro wrestling.
I remember watching an NFL game on CBS in the late 90s where Phil Simms made a WWF reference and Greg Gumbel was like ":rolleyes: you watch that stuff?"

Wrestling carried that stigma of being a "fake sport with fake athletes" for a long time but it seems to have worn off through time.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Sometimes, well, a lot of times actually, discussing WCW is like a limbo. We always come back to certain points in time, like how much money went to celebrities and Buffer, we mention Arquette, piped in Goldberg chants, Nash the booker... I'd really like to find out something new, which I hadn't noticed when I was watching it.

But I do remember talking online about Goldberg's potentially piped in chants back when he was getting his initial push. The thing is, you can pretty much isolate a couple of voices in the those chants, and it's impossible that the same exact voices just pop out in every WCW crowd. My belief is that the chants were canned heat just to get the fans going and carry on the chants.

WCW had a lot... Of everything. As I've had a hiatus from watching, I went on a Ruthless Aggression binge, and you can see how much WCW meant to wrestling as a whole. Not just by star power, but by style as well. Raw and SmackDown each got their share of WCW names, most of which should have been (but couldn't) used during the Invasion, but SmackDown obviously borrowed the tone of WCW, while Raw remained more WWF. I'm watching every SmackDown, show and PPV, but for Raw, I'm only watching PPVs.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Reminder that Bob Costas named one of his kids after Kirby Puckett, a guy who would easily put half the wrestlers listed in the carnies thread to shame.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Reminder that Bob Costas named one of his kids after Kirby Puckett, a guy who would easily put half the wrestlers listed in the carnies thread to shame.

And Karl Malone is terrible for wrestling, but not for fathering a kid with a 13 year old when he was 20, I guess.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MourningView posted:

That's not what happened. It was a Finals game, they didn't gently caress with it just to promote a match. They got tangled up and then Rodman tripped him repeatedly when they were trying to get up. They were both notoriously dirty players in a heated game, and neither of them particularly liked the other. It didn't have anything to do with the stupid match. It looked kinda like wrestling so Costas brought that up, and he did it in a disgusted tone because he hates pro wrestling (see his notorious interview with Vince on his HBO show years later). He said something like "I can't believe Malone would lower himself to doing one of those fake wrestling matches" or something to that effect (which is idiotic, since Malone is country is gently caress and loved wrestling, and has done stuff that is way scummier than pretend fighting). He wasn't disgusted because he thought they were staging something, he was just disgusted by the idea of a real athlete participating in pro wrestling.

I'm remembering highlights of a game where Malone did the diamond cutter sign. Different game, or garbled memory?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Red posted:

I'm remembering highlights of a game where Malone did the diamond cutter sign. Different game, or garbled memory?

I don't think it was that game but I don't doubt that he did it. He was a legit fan and buds with DDP. Why would doing a celebration after the play was over be detracting from the game? It's not really any different than doing like a fist pump or whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Page said he did and that's what led to the whole angle but I never saw the video of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember the brief period WCW was ahead there was a lot of hilarious smug from WCW fans online and a lot of hilarious impotent rage from WWF fans. My favorite was claiming Goldberg was a sham and his streak was made up because he apparently lost a dark house match to like, Glacier or something around win number 40. Which is true, but a really dumb thing to quibble about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

greatn posted:

I remember the brief period WCW was ahead there was a lot of hilarious smug from WCW fans online and a lot of hilarious impotent rage from WWF fans. My favorite was claiming Goldberg was a sham and his streak was made up because he apparently lost a dark house match to like, Glacier or something around win number 40. Which is true, but a really dumb thing to quibble about.

The most common rumor was that he was one of the guys who tried out for Piper's Uncensored 97 team and thus the streak was a sham. That was of course the legendary Horshu.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

oldpainless posted:

Page said he did and that's what led to the whole angle but I never saw the video of it.

I think that can be found on The Rise and Fall of WCW DVD, they go into a little bit of depth on the whole Malone/Rodman thing. As ever, much of the DVD is fairly heavily biased in favor of WWE, although I seem to recall them treating that particular feud and matchup as being a decent idea.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

MassRafTer posted:

The most common rumor was that he was one of the guys who tried out for Piper's Uncensored 97 team and thus the streak was a sham. That was of course the legendary Horshu.

The other big one is he came on the road for a weekend before the streak started and lost to Eddie Guerrero, negating the whole streak from the start. I never cared enough to dispute it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Man, do some wrestling fans not understand what a streak is? It's just a lot of wins in a row. If you lose before your win streak starts, that doesn't negate the streak :psyduck:

Unless of course WCW would say Goldberg was never beaten ever before during the streak, which is a different issue to the streak anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Man, do some wrestling fans not understand what a streak is? It's just a lot of wins in a row. If you lose before your win streak starts, that doesn't negate the streak :psyduck:

Unless of course WCW would say Goldberg was never beaten ever before during the streak, which is a different issue to the streak anyway.

The idea was Goldberg was completely undefeated, 1XX-0 and so people tried to invent losses that never happened.