Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Wait no, the music cues are still there. Who chose American country for this soundtrack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Will Young is so... insipid. Oh Buzzcocks.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Top Boy was pretty good, made me cringe with the garden shears though.

I think it's actually really good. Usually UK tv isn't that great at dealing with these sorts of subject.

Very well acted, I'll watch again tonight.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kleptomaniac penguins on BBC1 right now. :3:

(BBC should market that as an iPhone game: a sort of spiritual sequel to Angry Birds. I'd buy it)

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Man, Frozen Planet really is awesome. Those elephant seals though :stare: looked like they were going to break eachothers throats.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I'm not really a huge fan of the little bits at the end of Attenborough documentaries that tell you how the cameramen filmed the proceeding 50 minutes, but that one was glorious.

1 hut at the South Pole + 2 cameramen suffering from isolation and the extreme weather + half a million screaming penguins = comedy brilliance.

The bit where one increasingly wild-looking bloke turned to the camera and pondered whether or not penguins drove on the left or the right, all the while keeping an eye on the suspicious albino penguin who had apparently been following him was a really special moment in documentary history.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The only way it could have been better is if they had bought along Karl Pilkington.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Shelf Adventure posted:

The only way it could have been better is if they had bought along Karl Pilkington.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

I've never seen much of Outnumbered before, but the airport episode that's currently on GOLD is really quite good stuff.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Zorba the Greek posted:

Man, Frozen Planet really is awesome. Those elephant seals though :stare: looked like they were going to break eachothers throats.

Elephant Seals are apparently pretty badass. I didn't think by the look of them I could be so intimidated with their charge.

Also that thief penguin and baby seal :3:

Christ I love Attenborough documentaries. I don't know what I'll do on the sad but inevitable day he'll be unable to make any TV appearances.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 3, 2011

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Mongrels is back! 7th November, 22:30, BBC 3

Mongrels is notable for being on BBC3 and yet it isn't poo poo.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
The "History of the BBC" indents that have been on BBC Four tonight have been really pretty, along with the BBC logo flash "BBC Television EST. 1936." title cards which are lovely too.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rejected Fate posted:

Christ I love Attenborough documentaries. I don't know what I'll do on the sad but inevitable day he'll be unable to make any TV appearances.

I think they should shut down BBC3 and use its' allotted budget to clone an Attenborough. We can move the good bits of the channel -like Mongrels and Being Human- over to BBC2.

Perhaps other channels & broadcasting organisations could chip in a bit to help too. Even Rupert Murdoch wouldn't want a world where there is no Attenborough peacefully bimbling about the Amazon jungle in search of the wide-mouthed tree frog.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

The "History of the BBC" indents that have been on BBC Four tonight have been really pretty, along with the BBC logo flash "BBC Television EST. 1936." title cards which are lovely too.

I just saw this title card; why aren't the BBC making more of a fuss? In a period when the Conservatives threaten the BBC on a weekly basis, surely a celebration of how ridiculously impressive the BBC has been over the last 75 years would be good to shore up public support?

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

LE0N posted:

Top boy reminds me a bit of breaking bad only in the fact that the cinematography is so great, it looks better than a lot of films. Enjoying it so far, the pliers scene made me wince, glad the characters are well thought out and different rather than identikit thugs on the street.

Decent acting from asher D of so solid fame too.

Yeah I'm really impressed with it so far. Although I don't know if you've seen The Wire but Cutty from that is identical to Leon right down to the beard which is the only issue I have with it.

Also I guess something bad happening to the dog was far too easy to guess right from the first episode.

I also swear I saw that Brian Eno provided music for it in the credits but I can't find anything confirming it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Irisi posted:

I'm not really a huge fan of the little bits at the end of Attenborough documentaries that tell you how the cameramen filmed the proceeding 50 minutes, but that one was glorious.

1 hut at the South Pole + 2 cameramen suffering from isolation and the extreme weather + half a million screaming penguins = comedy brilliance.

The bit where one increasingly wild-looking bloke turned to the camera and pondered whether or not penguins drove on the left or the right, all the while keeping an eye on the suspicious albino penguin who had apparently been following him was a really special moment in documentary history.

Those bits at the end are necessary so that the broadcast is an hour on the BBC, but has enough to be cut for ads when it's broadcast overseas without losing much actual wildlife footage. Also it's a nice way to thank some of the people that have worked very hard to make it as awesome as it is.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The Supreme Court posted:

I just saw this title card; why aren't the BBC making more of a fuss? In a period when the Conservatives threaten the BBC on a weekly basis, surely a celebration of how ridiculously impressive the BBC has been over the last 75 years would be good to shore up public support?

Dunno. But maybe they don't want to be seen splurging money on a self-congratulatory wank-fest in this time of austerity.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I can't remember if I posted this or not, but here's a Frozen Planet behind-the-scenes interview with information on gear used for broadcast nerds like myself:

http://www.televisual.com/news-detail/Frozen-Planet-Behind-the-Scenes_nid-855.html

Tape based camcorders in those climates? Rather them than me.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Also I met Simon Singh the other day at this:

http://bit.ly/challengesally

Psychic Sally didn't turn up. We didn't think she would.

I do filming for the Merseyside Skeptics Society, so I filmed this event too. I'm uploading some more videos of the actual press conference today, But there are some interview videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/merseyskeptics

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

sebzilla posted:

Surely the "or build a wall" was an alternative to what the girl wanted to do. Her dream was to:

a) Do a Mauritian dance while her friend played the music

or

b) build a wall

Or am I missing something?

I think they knew what she meant, but took her grammar literally for comedic effect.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

@Herring1967 posted:

Breaking news - if I don't murder @andrewcollins when I see him we will be recording a Collings & Herrin podcast tomorrow afternoon.

I'm so relieved!

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I caught 10 minutes of The Impressions Show the other day....oh dear. It really should have been called "John Culshaw Does Different Accents" because "Impressions" really is a little misleading.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Padje posted:

I think they knew what she meant, but took her grammar literally for comedic effect.

Plus that way Saville had an excuse to have a child dance for him.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Has anyone watched the junior british bake off? It's on CBBC at 6:20. It's pretty sweet, but I think they do a really good job of treating the kids in a non-patronising way.

Sure the recipes aren't as complex, but they still make the same sorts of criticisms and deliver it in the same way. There was a girl crying before as she'd forgotten to put the baking powder in, and they just basically reassured her that she could do it and got on with it.

I also like to imagine middle England flipping their poo poo over the presenter of a kids show have neck and behind the ear tattoos.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Since when is the release of a teaser for a loving computer game news C4?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Kin posted:

Since when is the release of a teaser for a loving computer game news C4?

Sorry, I'd have to agree with them here. GTA loving 5!!!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jonnty posted:

Sorry, I'd have to agree with them here. GTA loving 5!!!

Big whoop. I refuse to get hyped up for it after GTA4.

Also, you should maybe check out the steam thread for a nice surprise for the obviously vastly superior Saint's Row III.

A link plus a couple of codes to get the PC version* for £18 from Tesco.

* Which has been confirmed as not a port

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Kin posted:

Big whoop. I refuse to get hyped up for it after GTA4.

Also, you should maybe check out the steam thread for a nice surprise for the obviously vastly superior Saint's Row III.

A link plus a couple of codes to get the PC version* for £18 from Tesco.

* Which has been confirmed as not a port

Yeah, I never really tried Saint's Row out of misguided enthusiasm for not failing lots of exams. I'm excited precisely because GTA4 was so poo poo - I sort of imagine them bouncing back in a big way. We'll see though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Just wait until they are ten pounds and buy them both. I did and no regrets for me.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
4oD isn't working; drat you internet :argh:

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I was clicking around Youtube and found something I didn't expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYFC25VFiY&feature=related

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Raeg posted:

I was clicking around Youtube and found something I didn't expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjYFC25VFiY&feature=related

Holy gently caress, we're going to need a backstory for this.

Edit: Looks like something somebody did for Comic Relief. Brilliant.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I remember that!
Chris Addison, Armando, Harry Hill and others decided to do a day of tweeting for Comic Relief round at Armandos house.
The account they used was http://twitter.com/!/twomictwewief

It was a great day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

It's just clicked to me who Derren Brown sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkAnBDREA1U

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I love how they got the Scottish lass to say "There's been a murrdurr" in true Taggart-style on this Derren Brown thing tonight.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Irisi posted:

I love how they got the Scottish lass to say "There's been a murrdurr" in true Taggart-style on this Derren Brown thing tonight.

I just like the fact that he utterly broke someone.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

If I was mates with that guy I would be squeezing his shoulder and saying "DING DONG" at any opportunity from now on.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kin posted:

I just like the fact that he utterly broke someone.

It was a startlingly cruel and unethical experiment. Though you would have thought poor sweet Jody would have realised something was up when he got to the country house and realised everyone was named after characters in Cluedo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The crack den in the latest Rab made me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

The crack den in the latest Rab made me giggle.

I think this week's was the least funny of this series so far. Not a bad episode, but a bit light on laughs compared to some of the more outlandish episodes.