Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
I think we got away with it easily, all my son wanted were high 5's when he went in the potty/toilet.

We probably cheated a bit, we sat him down on his potty & gave him his tablet to play on around the time he'd normally go, when he was relaxed/distracted he went. Then it was high 5's aplenty.
He was so chuffed when he did it on his own.

We moved the potty closer to the toilet each day and when it was down the other end of the house in the bathroom sometimes we wouldn't realise what he was doing until he would come running down the hall, all excited and yelling 'Poos! I did Poos!!!! Poooooooos!'

We visited toilets everywhere so he would get used to going at places that weren't home. Even if he didn't wee while we were there, he got used to sitting on a strange throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Sounds like you could try the Daniel Tiger potty song. My kid isn't even really that much into Daniel Tiger but for some reason having a song she can sing/relate to pooping is making things a lot less stressful.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My almost 2 daughter says "dada Tooooooooot" really loud when I do, and "baby toot" when she does. I'm hoping this will translate to "baby poop" when the time comes. She asks to use the potty a lot but we know she's not quite ready, plus doesn't potty training require pullups or something?

Difficulty: I literally do not know a thing about potty training, book recommendations please.

Daniel tiger wise: my daughter caught the crying baby margaret (daniel tiger) video on youtube and has now decided that a: baby margaret crying is hilarious and we all should imitate the sound/action and then eat, and decided b: all crying babies need to eat/need milk. She doesn't think all babies crying are hilarious, just that one.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
So, my kid has pooped reliably on the toilet since before the summer holidays, and has yet to have a poop-related accident. We officially quit diapers during the daytime this summer (she still needs them at night). But while she as a perfect track record with pooping, she still pees herself regularly. She can go days without an accident, but then she's distracted, mad, exited, etc, she tends to tinkle, either a little, or a lot. It's often just after we've tried to get her to go to the toilet, but she's had a complete freakout while refusing adamantly - before peeing herself, and going "wops, heee hee!" How long is a normal amount of time to have accidents after potty training? I want this to be over with!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Sporadic accidents can normally happen for, oh, several years.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Our son just turned 6 months and wife is looking at smash cakes.
I have 6 months to convince her dressing him up like Godzilla to destroy a mini city cake is the best idea.

Help.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Duxwig posted:

Our son just turned 6 months and wife is looking at smash cakes.
I have 6 months to convince her dressing him up like Godzilla to destroy a mini city cake is the best idea.

Help.

It's a great idea. That or you can do the zombie/brain cake plan.

Seriously, kids at 1 don't really give a poo poo about cake except to play with at that age. So yeah, something tactile is a great idea. Plus, you have 6 months to get your child to practice saying godzilla and/or to figure out your SMASH sign or to say godzilla is attacking (and lip-sync it after).

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Groke posted:

Sporadic accidents can normally happen for, oh, several years.

Oh, I'm not expecting her to be completely dry 100 % of the time, but her accidents happen way too often to be called sporadic.

On a related note, at what age can they wipe themselves? I have literally no idea.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Sockmuppet posted:

On a related note, at what age can they wipe themselves? I have literally no idea.
I wish I knew. Our 5y/o son can do it, but refuses to do so. This leads to tummy aches at kindergarten because he refuses to go there :rolleyes:

I know he can do it, because he was very proud about it and showed me several times.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh, I'm not expecting her to be completely dry 100 % of the time, but her accidents happen way too often to be called sporadic.

My 3 year old daughter wipes herself after she pees, her pooing in the toilet is an ongoing thing so we wipe her bum still (we're doing poo rewards too so now she chants 'poos get prizes!' when she does it). My younger son who is 5 now wipes himself and has done so for ages, we had an instructive afternoon wiping, checking for poo and repeating until the toilet paper is clean. He does fine but occasionally if he has a dodgy tummy he'll ask one of us to go over again. Which is a good sign I guess - means he really does check still and hasn't got lazy with it.

With the accidents I think it was a while with our daughter, she would do really well for weeks then have a week or so of just terrible every single time in her pants then being good again. But it's been a while since that last happened and now on the rare occasion she does have an accident she isn't happy about it, which sounds like it should be a bad thing but I'm glad she sees it as undesirable rather than not giving a poo poo.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Sockmuppet posted:

So, my kid has pooped reliably on the toilet since before the summer holidays, and has yet to have a poop-related accident. We officially quit diapers during the daytime this summer (she still needs them at night). But while she as a perfect track record with pooping, she still pees herself regularly. She can go days without an accident, but then she's distracted, mad, exited, etc, she tends to tinkle, either a little, or a lot. It's often just after we've tried to get her to go to the toilet, but she's had a complete freakout while refusing adamantly - before peeing herself, and going "wops, heee hee!" How long is a normal amount of time to have accidents after potty training? I want this to be over with!

What happens if you just let her go on her own schedule versus making her try? My son was adamant he didn't have to pee after waking up from a nap or going several hours and he'd flip his poo poo when we made him try. We got sick of that and just let him see how he did on his own and he does fine. We will ask him every once in a while if he has to go, especially before we leave the house, but if he says nope he's good we leave it at that. We only enforce the "you need to at least try" before nap and bed.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We've been trying a modified Ferber method (10-minute intervals, pick her up and hold her until she calms back down) for a week now with our one-year-old. It started off pretty well - about 35 minutes the first night, then down to under 5 by the third. However, she would still wake up two or three times during the night and we'd have to start the whole thing over again, and the past few nights she's been taking at least a half an hour to fall asleep, sometimes as much as an hour. Some of that is probably caused by her cold getting worse, but otherwise how typical is this for extinction training? Should we expect it to take considerably longer for her than it would for a 6-8 month-old baby?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper woke up crying hysterical last night from a bad dream. I go in to comfort him and ask him what it was about. He had a dream that he spilled his water.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

hooah posted:

We've been trying a modified Ferber method (10-minute intervals, pick her up and hold her until she calms back down) for a week now with our one-year-old. It started off pretty well - about 35 minutes the first night, then down to under 5 by the third. However, she would still wake up two or three times during the night and we'd have to start the whole thing over again, and the past few nights she's been taking at least a half an hour to fall asleep, sometimes as much as an hour. Some of that is probably caused by her cold getting worse, but otherwise how typical is this for extinction training? Should we expect it to take considerably longer for her than it would for a 6-8 month-old baby?

Multiple times in this thread you have posted being determined to sleep train your child who has been sending you clear signals that they want to sleep in the bed with you and your wife via protesting the separation. You may want to look back at your own posts in this thread to evaluate. 4th post and the 2 months old posts.

Additionally you are not supposed to do
Ferber with a sick child.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 16, 2016

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

hooah posted:

Sleep is a developmental milestone just like walking and talking. Your child may not be ready to sleep 12 hours a night. Ferber doesn't teach children to sleep, either. It just teaches them that no one is going to come help them fall back asleep. Try again in a few months. Also, sleep training a sick baby is ridiculous. The baby needs to sleep to feel better, not be stressing her system.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Isn't sleep training the idea to get the kid to fall asleep independently so they may wake less at night? I never got the impression it was to put your kid in a room and leave them there all night, even if they woke and started crying-- and this is the vibe I'm getting from that post

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

hooah posted:

Some of the replies you are getting are a little harsh. A 1 year old should be ready for sleep training. You may want to take a break until the cold gets better. Use a nose frida and some saline spray to help her sleep in the mean time. Sitting in a bathroom with some steam also helps.

Once she's better, you just need to make a few tweaks to your expectations and you should be fine. Kids need to learn to fall asleep on their own before you can expect that skill to transfer to night wakings. Focus on doing the ferber method you've been using to get her to fall asleep on her own, but do whatever normally works for wake ups in the middle of the night. Once she's falling asleep on her own at bedtime without any fuss, give her a few weeks for that skill to transfer to night wake-ups on her own (keep doing whatever works at night wake-ups). Most kids will be able to transfer the skill on their own after a few weeks. If she is still having night wakings after a few weeks then you can start doing the Ferber you were doing at bed time for night wakings and that will start to be successful.

If you are still not having success, you may need to stop picking her up and only comfort her with words. We tried modified and more gentle approaches, but our kid really needs the all or nothing approach (10 minute intervals, no talking just setting him back in bed every so often a reminder that he's safe and it's time for bed). Now he is a delight at bedtime (he's 2 1/2), but it was a long journey.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

skeetied posted:

Sleep is a developmental milestone just like walking and talking. Your child may not be ready to sleep 12 hours a night. Ferber doesn't teach children to sleep, either. It just teaches them that no one is going to come help them fall back asleep. Try again in a few months. Also, sleep training a sick baby is ridiculous. The baby needs to sleep to feel better, not be stressing her system.

Sleep is a developmental milestone and just like other developmental milestones it needs to be supported by the environment and people who are around the child. Sleep training is a way to help support that development. There are many different definitions and interpretations of what sleep training is. There are certainly some very inappropriate methods out there (full extinction training for one), but the post you are responding to mentions using 10 minute intervals and comforting the child which is completely appropriate and supported by pediatric sleep psychologists. Leaving a child alone for 10 minutes give the child the opportunity to fall asleep on their own. Most parents are not leaving their children alone or to cry for more than ten minutes. When sleep training is mentioned, most parents are referring to ten minute intervals. And, indeed, the ten minute interval is the sweet spot that sleep psychologists have found works best. We need to stop judging one another. Sleep is important for everyone, adults and children alike.

All that being said, when a child is sick, any sleep training should be put on hold.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Sleep is a developmental milestone and just like other developmental milestones it needs to be supported by the environment and people who are around the child. Sleep training is a way to help support that development. There are many different definitions and interpretations of what sleep training is. There are certainly some very inappropriate methods out there (full extinction training for one), but the post you are responding to mentions using 10 minute intervals and comforting the child which is completely appropriate and supported by pediatric sleep psychologists. Leaving a child alone for 10 minutes give the child the opportunity to fall asleep on their own. Most parents are not leaving their children alone or to cry for more than ten minutes. When sleep training is mentioned, most parents are referring to ten minute intervals. And, indeed, the ten minute interval is the sweet spot that sleep psychologists have found works best. We need to stop judging one another. Sleep is important for everyone, adults and children alike.

All that being said, when a child is sick, any sleep training should be put on hold.

I think you're reading a lot more into my post than it contained. I don't need a lecture on methods of sleep training and I will happily judge any parent who tries to sleep train a sick child, which is what I said is ridiculous, not sleep training as a whole.

The simple truth is that not every child is ready to sleep the way the adults want them to sleep when the adults want them to do so. Ferber may be successful at getting them to sleep on their own or it may lead to 3 am play parties that you're not aware of because the kid learned not to ask for mom and dad. Like everything in parenting, sleep requires some degree of flexibility and willingness to adjust "the plan".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks for the feedback. We'd certainly prefer not to do this while she's sick, but she's had a cold almost constantly since she started day care two months ago, so it was more "well, might as well try if she's just going to be sick for the next couple years anyway". We had thought about doing the regular thing in the middle of the night (bringing her back to bed with us), but we assumed that would be counterproductive. If it's not, then we'll definitely go back to doing that for the night wakings to save some sanity.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Usually if your kid sleeps in your bed they get on your sleep schedule, and nobody except you will be able to find out if it affects daytime or not.

Kids do however understand the difference between who they are with and act entirely different without parents around, which is why sleep at daycare is different.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Anybody know of any good books that help with getting kids to eat? My three-year-old just refuses to eat half the time and I honestly don't know if she's getting enough calories based on how little she eats. I need to set up a meeting with her pediatrician to talk about it but it's really frustrating and almost concerning that she just hardly eats anything.

She runs around and is super happy but she's a really tiny thing.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
^^^ Momtartin, I've also got a tiny kid that doesn't really eat much. Definitely talk to your pediatrician to ease your worries, but if she's developing like she should and is otherwise healthy, she's probably doing just fine. My 3 year old finally reached 13 kilos! (28 pounds to you yanks) But she's fit as a fiddle and not skinny at all, just - tiny :) We focus on making sure she eats varied and healthy food, and she'll occasionally have days where she's apparently bottomless, and goes through in two days what she normally eats in a week, so I try to remember those days when she eats two mouthfuls of salmon and a tiny fistful of broccoli and declares herself full.

sheri posted:

What happens if you just let her go on her own schedule versus making her try?

More accidents, unfortunately. She does by far the best on the days when she agrees to go to the toilet when we ask her (like before leaving somewhere with a bathroom, and just when it's been a while since the last time she went). But you have a point, we should definitely try again at regular intervalls to see if she's getting better at noticing when she needs to pee, so that she doesn't just rely on us telling her.

Thank you all for the input on wiping, I figured it was way too early to think about it, but it seems we can start now and at least see how it goes :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
With my daughter it took ages for her to agree to go to the toilet or do anything until she was absolutely bursting (which wasn't great when all the toilets are on a different floor to the living area). You could put her on the toilet and she would point blank refuse to pee or even entertain the notion that it might be something she could possibly do then less than 5 minutes later either scream that she needed a wee or just wet herself.

Now she will at least try to go when we ask her to it's a lot easier.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Fleece was the answer to my almost 4 month olds sleep problems. fleece sheets, fleece sleeper, fleece sleep sack. He goes down about 8, wakes up around 3 to eat, and goes right back to sleep. Prior to that it was a nightmare to get him to sleep in the crib.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
So I have a weird potty training problem with my 2 year old. We have perfect potty usage at home when she is butt rear end naked but adding in underwear has become some insurmountable road block.

She's perfectly capable of taking them off to use the toilet without an accident but getting her to put them back on has become some bizarre toddler hill to die on. We banked on her love of hello kitty to outweigh her hatred of undies but we were very wrong. If they made Sarah and Duck undies, I'd buy a million.

I am really not sure how to approach this other than constantly pointing out in her potty books that at the end, being a big girl means wearing big girl undies and just putting them back on every time she takes them off.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does she need to wear underwear? My kid goes commando under his pants and shorts a lot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Welp, got my first serious bite tonight. Getting him into his pajamas he started happy screaming and jumping around, then lunged forward and sunk his teeth into the point where my neck meets my shoulder like some sort of loving zombie.

That's probably gonna be sore for a few days.

So... what should I be doing about this, hahah.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I do my best to stay out of biting range.

If my daughter bites me when I'm carrying her I yelp, because it hurts and catches me by surprise. Then I tell her that must mean she wants me to put her down. Does she want to get down? It doesn't happen that often lately.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

AA is for Quitters posted:

Fleece was the answer to my almost 4 month olds sleep problems. fleece sheets, fleece sleeper, fleece sleep sack. He goes down about 8, wakes up around 3 to eat, and goes right back to sleep. Prior to that it was a nightmare to get him to sleep in the crib.

Or if you were really stuck; I was given a big fluffy bath robe for Christmas once and would wear that around the house, if duder wouldn't sleep when he was obviously tired I would line his cot with the robe to sleep on while swaddled so he would think I'm nearby. Although the mileage will vary as he got wise to it.

Now if he would just stop waking up at 5am going "Hmmmmmmmm" "Hmmmmmmmm" over the baby monitor and kicking the crib barriers, that would be just swell.

I also just ripped his sleeping bag this morning because the drat zip got stuck :byodood:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

momtartin posted:

Anybody know of any good books that help with getting kids to eat? My three-year-old just refuses to eat half the time and I honestly don't know if she's getting enough calories based on how little she eats. I need to set up a meeting with her pediatrician to talk about it but it's really frustrating and almost concerning that she just hardly eats anything.

She runs around and is super happy but she's a really tiny thing.

One of the twins here is a really really picky eater, he just plain refuses most things, won't even try them. His brother is the opposite. Anyway he likes some things, he likes bread, stuff that is crispy, he'd live on potato chips and candy if possible. I'm just gonna list some stuff he liked and maybe you can try some of it on your daugther.

1) He loves milk, so we feed him a lot of whole milk.
2) Cheese, just big chunks of plain cheese to eat
2) Colt cuts, stuff like Salami and ham goes down well on its own.
3) Bell peppers, crazy about them, ate 5 of them raw one day
4) Fruits

A lot of this is in snack form though, so we're probably breeding bad habits, but eh I am like that myself and he gets calories and stuff and is keeping up with his brother, though skinnier.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Welp, got my first serious bite tonight. Getting him into his pajamas he started happy screaming and jumping around, then lunged forward and sunk his teeth into the point where my neck meets my shoulder like some sort of loving zombie.

That's probably gonna be sore for a few days.

So... what should I be doing about this, hahah.

It doesn't sound like it was an angry bite. We used to get them, it was after she'd been told off and we'd pick her up and you could tell when she was going to bite. We said you only bite food, not people.

#2 hasn't been a biter, but she pulls hair. She pulled out some of her sisters hair a week ago.

Can I encourage others who've got total nightmares of children at 2/3. Ours is about to turn 4 and she's amazing, she'll give me a hug before I go to work in a morning, say she's missed me, sing to her sister if she's crying. She used to be a terror, still doesn't sit still for longer that 5 minutes but it's so much better.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh hey, more good news, apparently one of the other kids at my son's daycare was just diagnoses with Hand Foot and Mouth.

Should we just have him... not go, for a while? Or is he pretty much already guaranteed to be infected since it can take 3-6 days to show symptoms.

Oh nooo

Edit: Current plan is to skip daycare tomorrow and take the day off work to watch him myself, which means he won't have it again until next Monday. See if it's spread and who else has caught it by then.

My dad also had a bunch of heart attacks and is in the hospital, so I guess I can go and visit him. Unless he could already be contagious and the disease is a risk to recently hospitalized folk, in which case gently caress because that basically describes everyone in my family right now.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 18, 2016

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh hey, more good news, apparently one of the other kids at my son's daycare was just diagnoses with Hand Foot and Mouth.

Should we just have him... not go, for a while? Or is he pretty much already guaranteed to be infected since it can take 3-6 days to show symptoms.

Oh nooo

Big chance he already has it and if he doesn't then all the other kids are going to catch it one after another so "not go for a while" could be a pretty long time. Also I think there's still chances of catching it for a long time after through the feces so even then you wouldn't be certain he wouldn't catch it.

Our approach is to always make him go and hope for the best!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

Big chance he already has it and if he doesn't then all the other kids are going to catch it one after another so "not go for a while" could be a pretty long time. Also I think there's still chances of catching it for a long time after through the feces so even then you wouldn't be certain he wouldn't catch it.

Ugh, maybe this is the way to do it then. If we want to minimize him infecting us and the rest of my already sick enough family, what should we do aside from lots of hand washing?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GlyphGryph posted:

My dad also had a bunch of heart attacks and is in the hospital, so I guess I can go and visit him. Unless he could already be contagious and the disease is a risk to recently hospitalized folk, in which case gently caress because that basically describes everyone in my family right now.
A lot of hospitals have wards that don't allow access to small children because they are basically disease bombs. Usually wards where people with reduced immune capacity will be, but bed allocation can mean your dad might be in one even if he doesn't have that specific concern. So you might not even be allowed to take him.

In general I wouldn't take a possibly sick kid to see someone in hospital at all, though, there is no sense putting your dad at risk. I mean, it might a very small risk, but imagine how horrible it could be if it does cause problems.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

GlyphGryph posted:

Ugh, maybe this is the way to do it then. If we want to minimize him infecting us and the rest of my already sick enough family, what should we do aside from lots of hand washing?

We just washed our hands a lot and did not let him put his hands in our mouths while there was some hand foot mouth at day care. Thankfully he never got it (or almost asymptomatic) so I don't know if it would have been sufficient, but I think it rarely affects adult.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Ashcans posted:

In general I wouldn't take a possibly sick kid to see someone in hospital at all, though, there is no sense putting your dad at risk. I mean, it might a very small risk, but imagine how horrible it could be if it does cause problems.

He should be out of the hospital by tomorrow, I think, so I'm mostly just concerned about whether there's a risk to him in particular. Looking it up, it doesn't really seem like there is, so that's good.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
You might get lucky in that he'll catch it, but won't have most of the symptoms. Hand, foot and mouth made the rounds through my house several months ago, but two of my kids only had a little fever and felt crappy for a day.

It really sucks to catch as an adult, though. I'm still regrowing fingernails from that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I think my daughter had it a few weeks ago. She had a fever for a few days, and some redness and sores in her mouth, but nothing else. Adults are often immunized, having had the disease themselves when they were kids.