Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Transformation is sort of a dumb thing that isn't a borderline core game mechanic though. Nearly every nation will want to transmute at some point, but not even every nation can even use transformation without going out of their way to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
I meant alchemical transmuting being detected as cheating and taking gems from you. I am playing a MP on Llamaserver and no one can do any alchemy or else the game removes gems and declares you a cheater.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Ragha has been stealth-buffed.
How, you will ask? With great Pretender choice: 52 pretenders to choose from!

Hah, I was so naive... Berytos has 76 Pretenders to choose.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

drat I knew I should have picked Berytos.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Does luck affect transformation? I heard of people transforming Pans and stuff into giants and hydras, but half the time I get mediocre stuff like birds or feebleminded foulspawn garbage

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yes.

And avoid also secondary paths, so an FN mage is more likely to turn into a fire associated animal

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I made quick MA R'lyeh game to see if they got any new pretenders. They didn't, so I said gently caress it and started the game up with a monolith with whatever default poo poo it had to just go over their capital recruit list. I noticed the monolith could be sent to the void gate, so I clicked that poo poo hard and just spammed out a few turns to see what would happen. I guess he got attacked in the void a few times, handily winning each time because of shotgunning point blank flying shards into guys. But he can't leave. He doesn't return to the capital each turn, just stays in the void summoning poo poo. He isn't dead so I can't call him back, but he keeps summoning units/getting in crab battles. I have no way of even selecting him because where ever the void is it doesn't have a map tile. After like 12 turns he is crazy as gently caress but won't leave/die.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Void consumed him. RIP.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
He's a prisoner of his own device

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What probably happened: The Monolith ordered his followers to throw him into the Void, but after it entered the Void it learned a disturbing fact. It has no followers on the other side.

Now it can't be thrown back and the Monolith is trapped.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
This pretender rebalance is pretty loving haphazard. I meant they always are, but for example the Great Bulls are now just better replacements for the Titans with NE if you just wanted a scales-y mobile N9E4/5 platform.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

This pretender rebalance is pretty loving haphazard. I meant they always are, but for example the Great Bulls are now just better replacements for the Titans with NE if you just wanted a scales-y mobile N9E4/5 platform.

Yeah, the new autocalc is dramatically overvaluing equipment slots. I can't really think of a good reason to take a titan atm. Other than that, immobiles cost slightly too much, but monsters and humans are much better now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Need an immobile with full equipment slots, like a titan or something turned to stone. I want to use more than just misc slot boosters but :qq:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've been doing some comparisons and yeah, you are right. Some monster Pretenders need to be from 20 up to 40 points more expensive, because even taking Dom8 and a third magic path (which Titans are supposed to have more facilities in doing it, as they start at higher Dom score and the new paths are 20 points cheaper), the Bull was ~35 points more efficient.

I think the difference between Titans and Monsters should be that monsters are better if only used as they are initially designed: if you want a combat Pretender with lowish Dom score and that just uses his native magic paths; but otherwise Ttitans should be better in cost.
If not, monsters are better in almost all occasions, as there are other cases but in them there Pretenders which already occupy that nice (rainbow pretender, immobile statue).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I wish the void fungus wasn't limited to ryleh because it's a great rainbow immobile

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the difference between Titans and Monsters should be that monsters are better if only used as they are initially designed: if you want a combat Pretender with lowish Dom score
Yeah but you never do. If you want a combat pretender that's a proper combat pretender, you'll want them at Dom 9/10, for the (additional) Awe.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Yeah but you never do. If you want a combat pretender that's a proper combat pretender, you'll want them at Dom 9/10, for the (additional) Awe.

Some of the new monsters have high enough protection to not particularly need Awe. I've been able to run an Awe-less Hound of Hades, Earth Serpent, and Piggod without any serious afflictions. I bet you could get away with it on a White Bull too, with a few points of Earth magic. Just be careful what you expand into and preferably expand into provinces with a white candle.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

They need to devalue slots a little bit and I think the pretender situation is ok. Titans are overcosted for sure but only by about 30-40 points. It's not a major deal.

Some monsters could do with a further slight reduction maybe (sphinxes looking at you) but overall the situation seems pretty good. There's a lot more variety and I expect to see all kinds of gods in the new games that are starting.

I still wouldn't touch a rainbow with 10 foot pole but that's just me. They are at least reasonably costed but I don't really consider the rainbow thing of "get a bunch of paths and do stuff" as a major niche that I care about filling when I make a god. It should be blessing things or eating things :colbert: and if I need a path it's a secondary thing that would modify which chassis that eats things.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 26, 2015

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Devalue your slots and face towards ascendancy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Some monsters could do with a further slight reduction maybe (sphinxes looking at you) but overall the situation seems pretty good. There's a lot more variety and I expect to see all kinds of gods in the new games that are starting.

i'm not taking a single imprisoned immobile in the games you have up :wth:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Kitfox88 posted:

i'm not taking a single imprisoned immobile in the games you have up :wth:

You're not Kitfox. Give him back his account and pick immobiles with 3 in in every positive scale like you're supposed to.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Is there any single map pack that is far away the best, or at least really good? The OP didn't seem to have anything linked though it's possible I'm dumb + blind.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Gaghskull posted:

You're not Kitfox. Give him back his account and pick immobiles with 3 in in every positive scale like you're supposed to.

He's taking imprisoned <100 point monsters with 3 in every positive scale instead.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Kitfox88 posted:

I wish the void fungus wasn't limited to ryleh because it's a great rainbow immobile

this is painful to read

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

i hurt you because i love you samog (❁´‿`❁)*✲゚*

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Holy poo poo I didn't realize that luck scales directly affected getting national commanders. I was tanking luck by a scale or two nearly every time because most of the events are dumb irrelevant poo poo and lol free points. But Jesus Christ getting a bunch of strong leaders and 5 path or more mage consistently in the first couple turns is nuts.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Harrower posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize that luck scales directly affected getting national commanders. I was tanking luck by a scale or two nearly every time because most of the events are dumb irrelevant poo poo and lol free points. But Jesus Christ getting a bunch of strong leaders and 5 path or more mage consistently in the first couple turns is nuts.

Base 3% chance of a hero + or - 1% per scale in the respective direction. With luck 3 it's only 6% a turn so don't bet on it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

6% a turn is still better than the 0% you get from misfortune 3! :v:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Base 3% chance of a hero + or - 1% per scale in the respective direction. With luck 3 it's only 6% a turn so don't bet on it.

This is everything I heard too but I take misfortune2 a lot and get a decent amount of heroes without ever living to turn 100.

e: they are always humans with no paths though

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
I must have been exceedingly lucky because I was trying different expansion strategies and was consistently getting high path heroes in the first year 3/3 times. I was getting gently caress all with luck -2.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Harrower posted:

I must have been exceedingly lucky because I was trying different expansion strategies and was consistently getting high path heroes in the first year 3/3 times. I was getting gently caress all with luck -2.

It has long been known that heroes show up more often in test games than in real games just to gently caress with you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Harrower posted:

What troops do you guys use for early expanding with Bogarus? Personally I like to let 10 turns worth of my worthless baby mans sit in the capital while my dragon or angel or whatever actually goes out and punches faces because this isn't the age of heros it's the age of dumpster trash that needs to be baby sat constantly. Then rage quit the game because they still lose even if they win. Are the sacreds secretly good because they look like trash that doesn't even have the dignity to be put in a dumpster, just sort of placed in the alley in hope some else takes pity on it? Meanwhile with Man I can take like four wardens and a heavy cav and just poo poo on the entire map, with out without a bless. Astrapelagists are cool and good but I can't be assed to play more than a year because my morons can't kill half their number of anything without half of them dying, and the other half retreating to the nearby provinces my pretender already took with brain damage and a gimp leg. I even tried taking good scales to poo poo out more of them but it hardly makes a difference.

The funny thing for me is that the situation doesn't improve even when you start doing your summons, as their summons happen to be utility (like seducers, assassins, flying H3) or give wider magic diversity. The only combat unit is the Zmey and it's 80 gems to summon 10 of them.

---

The inspector can show a list of the gods that a discount for at least a nation, it's useful
http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/?page=unit&unittype=8&showids=1&showkeys=1&unitkey=cheapgod20

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 27, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

quote:

Alchemy cheat detect bug fixed Man-Eater got flick barb attack
Criosphinx no helmet slot
Ghost Riders and some similar rituals didn't work properly
Deadeater bug fix
Pretender autocalc tweaking
Pretender cost tweaking
National pretender cost reductions shown in popup
Description fixes
Supaya reanimation gave wrong info on numbers reanimated
Some start troop fixes
Fixed bug in new poptype modding that made many commands useless

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Neruz posted:

It has long been known that heroes show up more often in test games than in real games just to gently caress with you.
In test games, expansion is flawless and you have upwards of 20+ provinces by the end of year 1. In reality, you start on the coast with only amazons and heavy cav as your neighbors and meet your first enemy nation by turn 5.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

The funny thing for me is that the situation doesn't improve even when you start doing your summons, as their summons happen to be utility (like seducers, assassins, flying H3) or give wider magic diversity. The only combat unit is the Zmey and it's 80 gems to summon 10 of them.

---

The inspector can show a list of the gods that a discount for at least a nation, it's useful
http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/?page=unit&unittype=8&showids=1&showkeys=1&unitkey=cheapgod20

Zmey is particularly crap as a cold blooded unit on a nation that probably took cold 3 so don't make them probably. You will live and die by your mages and Bogarus' thing is Malai Druzhina expanders that transitions into mages backed by chaff swarms by year 2. An extremely top heavy communion with like 3:1 or greater ratios is quite easy to pull off as Bogarus and you should definitely be doing it.

Thau 1 (communion master/slave), Blood 1 (sabbath master/reinvigoration), evo 4 for tstrike and you are ready to wreck some poo poo. Bring your overloaded communion in with at least 1 blood master to spam reinvig and you can carpet the battlefield in tstrikes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy posted:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong! This is the process I'm doing with Audacity
- Import the raw sound from another game's files
- Export selection the bit I want as a wav
- Load the wav and trim it
- Set the project sample rate in the lower left status to 22k
- Set the format in the dropdown box of the track to 16 bit
- Export with file type "other uncompressed files" and .sw on the end
- Put it in the same folder as the targas which all work
- Give the weapon #sound "/sovirus/rifle.sw"

But in the game no sound plays!

In case anyone is interested, the command is actually #sample rather than #sound

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Can you still get national heroes if you have misfortune 3? Also is there an up-to-date list of all heroes?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

In my Niefelheim test game with mis2 I got Tjatse on the 2nd turn. The game knows when it's a test.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Zmey is particularly crap as a cold blooded unit on a nation that probably took cold 3 so don't make them probably. You will live and die by your mages and Bogarus' thing is Malai Druzhina expanders that transitions into mages backed by chaff swarms by year 2. An extremely top heavy communion with like 3:1 or greater ratios is quite easy to pull off as Bogarus and you should definitely be doing it.

Thau 1 (communion master/slave), Blood 1 (sabbath master/reinvigoration), evo 4 for tstrike and you are ready to wreck some poo poo. Bring your overloaded communion in with at least 1 blood master to spam reinvig and you can carpet the battlefield in tstrikes.

One curious thing I noticed in my sp Bogarus game is that you have a risk of stalling your economy in the mid game, as your entire army and the crapload of mages you have to recruit are all non-sacred and they like their salary. As a nation you reach the point where maybe you are winning 300 gold per turn before other nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

One curious thing I noticed in my sp Bogarus game is that you have a risk of stalling your economy in the mid game, as your entire army and the crapload of mages you have to recruit are all non-sacred and they like their salary. As a nation you reach the point where maybe you are winning 300 gold per turn before other nations.

You should be using your deathballs to steal other peoples things and get more gold though.

Oh and fort xbow indies. Shortbows are really poo poo in LA so you need indie xbows.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 27, 2015

• Locked thread