Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oh well :shrug: I feel like it's a pretty great trade, "have to micromanage wood" in exchange for "these maps are impossible"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, much nicer to be able to fuel stuff with coal than what precious little wood you can get through trading.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eat poo poo technology havers

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Flesh Forge posted:

Eat poo poo technology havers

Hmm, I should give that medieval mod a shot.

I'm currently on my mountainous ice sheet play, a measly -66C with highs of -22C.

Been fun so far, failed my first couple miserably until I realized I have to get hydroponics up right away and wind power is actually pretty good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I started that colony with 1000 wood, 12 herbal medicine and 40 food (plus a little salt) and I just barely got the quarry up in time to survive the winter, I had to burn some of the wood to avoid freezing. There was enough wood left over to finish a couple of wood-only constructions I needed (medieval tailor and smelter, so I can recover a minuscule amount of wood from invader weapons and can make some better cold-weather gear) and then it got too cold to fish safely so I had to leave the fishing piers forbidden for most of the winter. No one came to trade and we had to be pragmatic about injuries, so nobody got any medicine for random injuries and minor frostbite. Plague hit during the worst of the winter and we were grateful for that tiny hoard of herbal medicine. It was -130C outside and even indoors it was touch and go, hovering around -65C most of the time.

We made it though the winter without tasting the Long Pig except once, which was totally an accident ('consume' is right under 'haul' oops) :black101: And now it is late spring, the indoor temperature has crept above freezing and the cave shrooms are starting to sprout.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is overhunting a think in this game or can I just murder the poo poo out of anything tasty that I see, and more will always wander in?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
More things will keep wandering in, don't worry about it.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Slung Blade posted:

So I downloaded a mod to give me little robots with really basic skillsets. One is dedicated pretty much full time to rolling blunts.

This wild boar sired pretty much the entire herd that I've had to date, poor old guy's had so much tail he went bonkers :saddowns:

Going to be a shame to turn him into sausage.

Haulerbots are fantastic as they don't trigger attacks by animals when they go outside your base and don't suffer from things like toxic fallout. So you can basically keep everyone inside after an attack to deal with regular stuff and your haulerbots will strip, move the bodies, and collect their stuff automatically without having to worry about the elements. During fallout times they're also good for running around collecting dead (but not rotten) animals for butchering.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Started a lost tribe start, do I ever get to increase my tech level or do I just eat that modifier and stick down more benches?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
eat the modifier and hail the bench

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Is a 50/50 mix of herbal + regular medicine really not enough to beat malaria? I had 4 of my 6 people strick with it, including my only person with >1 medicine skill. Everyone was treated timely and managed to spend most of their time in-bed, but the disease is progressing almost as fast as the immunity and started far ahead so it'll reach 100% first. Sucks that I basically did everything right but wasn't able to buy enough regular medicine in the first 45 days.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Better doctors, better beds, and medical equipment would help you with that.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Game needs a gin distillery for tropical environments. Social drinking and medicine all in one dose.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Stretch Marx posted:

Haulerbots are fantastic as they don't trigger attacks by animals when they go outside your base and don't suffer from things like toxic fallout. So you can basically keep everyone inside after an attack to deal with regular stuff and your haulerbots will strip, move the bodies, and collect their stuff automatically without having to worry about the elements. During fallout times they're also good for running around collecting dead (but not rotten) animals for butchering.

One of my little miner bots got bit by an angry boom rat and shows injuries with a red health bar, I can't figure out any way to repair it though, poor little guy. :(

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
It might not be in the current release, but in A15 they would heal by themselves. Provided a body part wasn't completely destroyed.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Devdisigdu posted:

It might not be in the current release, but in A15 they would heal by themselves. Provided a body part wasn't completely destroyed.

Does it heal faster if you deactivate it? Or does that block any change at all?

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Chakan posted:

Is a 50/50 mix of herbal + regular medicine really not enough to beat malaria? I had 4 of my 6 people strick with it, including my only person with >1 medicine skill. Everyone was treated timely and managed to spend most of their time in-bed, but the disease is progressing almost as fast as the immunity and started far ahead so it'll reach 100% first. Sucks that I basically did everything right but wasn't able to buy enough regular medicine in the first 45 days.

Penoxycycline is your friend. Administer one to each patient, as well as the personnel treating them. Even if they've already got malaria, one dose is an instant 60% immunity boost.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Galaga Galaxian posted:

How much glitter medicine is needed? 6 just like normal medicine? If so that feels harsh.

You only need 1 medicine per surgery, regardless of which kind.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

wake up helps as will bionic arms but the big thing is glitterworld medicine for the surgery.

2 bionic arms + wakeup + go-juice + sterile room should take a level 20 medicine doc over 99% success rate with regular medicine, but IIRC you still won't quite hit 100% unless you also add in luciferium (at which point you don't need level 20, but I'm not sure what you do need offhand).

Chakan posted:

If I've done my math right, young healthy pawns (<40 years old) should have a roughly 50/50 chance of surviving malaria being treated by a 0 skill doctor without any medicine if they stick to 100% bed rest and are treated promptly. A 65 year old pawn is toast even if that 0 skill doctor uses glitterworld meds. Overall, doctor skill is at least as big a factor as medicine is; if you can only treat your doc with a 1 skill pawn your older pawns are in trouble.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Hey Zhentar can I get a link to the mods you made, particularly about pathfinding?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Zhentar posted:

You only need 1 medicine per surgery, regardless of which kind.

They must've changed this recently then. Cause Aoi refused to do that decapitation operation until I had 6 normal medicine and used those instead of one of the two glittermeds I had (even though I allowed glittermeds to be used on that guy). Just kept giving me a "needs materials" message.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Raerlynn posted:

Penoxycycline is your friend. Administer one to each patient, as well as the personnel treating them. Even if they've already got malaria, one dose is an instant 60% immunity boost.

It boosts them to 61% immunity. Malaria takes a long time to show itself; a healthy <40 pawn should have 55%-58% immunity when it shows up, in which case Penoxycycline doesn't make a huge difference (although if you only have a very low skill doctor and are using sleeping spots, the 6% boost is enough to go from certain death to near certain survival). For malaria, Penoxycycline is much more effective as prophylaxis (For plague & sleeping sickness, it's still excellent taken reactively). If you have a limited supply, you can take it less often than once every five days; even once every 15 days it will still reliably have a significant effect.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Started a lost tribe start, do I ever get to increase my tech level or do I just eat that modifier and stick down more benches?

Wait you can put more than one bench down to research faster?

:smiley going wooaaah until it envelops its own head:

I mean, obviously in hindsight there's nothing that says you can't, I guess I just never thought to try.

Chakan posted:

This is why I recommend also boosting immunity gain rates in the scenario because as it stands the default game really fucks you over if you don't have medical supplies/skilled doctors and there's nothing you can do to prevent disease because antibiotics are absurdly expensive.

It makes bedrest far more effective so you're still losing your pawns for a while but they aren't just going to die automatically when they get sick.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 9, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Chakan posted:

Malaria in this game is no joke. I had 10 out of my 14 colonists get hit with it and one of them being my main doctor. He died a horrible death and 99% immunity and 100% malaria.. Lost 4 more colonists even after I administered penoxycycline and regular "Wake up and treat this mofuggah" commands.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone got any tips for locating underground steam geysers without cheating?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Diseases in general are now fatal unless you micromanage the heal out of them, even Plague.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone got any tips for locating underground steam geysers without cheating?

As far as I can tell they just don't happen at all any more, I use this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761315214&searchtext=reroll

Considering how long it takes to reroll a planet and map I don't feel bad using this.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They must've changed this recently then. Cause Aoi refused to do that decapitation operation until I had 6 normal medicine and used those instead of one of the two glittermeds I had (even though I allowed glittermeds to be used on that guy). Just kept giving me a "needs materials" message.

Oh, excise carcinoma does require 6 medicine. I never realized that. I'm surprised you can't mix medicine types though, there's some code to handle when that happens.

Carcinoma on something that can't be removed is pretty much a death sentence. Aoi (assuming she wasn't augmented or injured/scarred) only had a 38% chance of success with regular medicine, and at least a 65% chance of killing the patient if she failed. Even with glitterworld medicine she'd only have an 88% chance of success.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

Diseases in general are now fatal unless you micromanage the heal out of them, even Plague.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761315214&searchtext=reroll

Considering how long it takes to reroll a planet and map I don't feel bad using this.

I just edit the save file to move the vents where I want them. Use "destroy" dev mode to get the vent's Id #, find that number in the save file, edit the coordinates.

Saves a lot of rerolling time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Well that's dumb, half the fun of mining is finding random poo poo underground.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure at one point the map generation code would allow geysers to be placed within rock and would create a little cave around them but I haven't found that on a map for the last couple of alphas. Maybe I've just been really unlucky though :shrug:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's definitely not possible and has not been since at least A14.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Zhentar posted:

It's definitely not possible and has not been since at least A14.

Is this because of heat build up being a thing now?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm new to all this, but I've been reading a bit.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Malaria in this game is no joke. I had 10 out of my 14 colonists get hit with it and one of them being my main doctor. He died a horrible death and 99% immunity and 100% malaria.. Lost 4 more colonists even after I administered penoxycycline and regular "Wake up and treat this mofuggah" commands.

Guh, thanks to you and everyone else who reaponded. I'll value medical skill on a starting pawn higher next time. Previously I was just saying "well, there's at least one with a 5 in medicine, good to start with." I guess I'll start using prepare carefully too.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I think when they added Infestations they got rid geysers underground. Can't have an infestation spawn inside the geyser area when they will all die from the excessive heat that has nowhere to go.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There are only 2 skills I absolutely require to be at level 9+ when I'm starting out: Medicine and Growing. The former because every scratch becomes potentially fatal and the latter because it's a hundred times harder to start an economy without being able to make the sun do a lot of work for you.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Zhentar posted:

Oh, excise carcinoma does require 6 medicine. I never realized that. I'm surprised you can't mix medicine types though, there's some code to handle when that happens.

Carcinoma on something that can't be removed is pretty much a death sentence. Aoi (assuming she wasn't augmented or injured/scarred) only had a 38% chance of success with regular medicine, and at least a 65% chance of killing the patient if she failed. Even with glitterworld medicine she'd only have an 88% chance of success.

Oh. Well, I guess we'll just staple his head back on (aka reload the save) and he can just live with the carcinoma. It's listed as "stable" so maybe he'll be ok. I mean, ok besides the constant serious headaches (35% pain). Too bad there isn't painkillers we could give him.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."

Coolguye posted:

There are only 2 skills I absolutely require to be at level 9+ when I'm starting out: Medicine and Growing. The former because every scratch becomes potentially fatal and the latter because it's a hundred times harder to start an economy without being able to make the sun do a lot of work for you.

This evening I realized that there are really only two things that frustrate me about losing in this game. One is selecting a landing site with granite and (other stone), and the other is pressing "Randomize" two hundred times until I get three healthy, skilled, complimentary colonists. I'm not big on modding but I've decided to start using Prepare Carefully to speed up re-starts.

Is there a mod that will quickly pick a site with the growing season, mountains, biome and stone types that I prefer?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh. Well, I guess we'll just staple his head back on (aka reload the save) and he can just live with the carcinoma. It's listed as "stable" so maybe he'll be ok. I mean, ok besides the constant serious headaches (35% pain). Too bad there isn't painkillers we could give him.

:420:

Could also try to find a Painstopper and have your doctor implant it.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Toned down a bit, Prepare Carefully feels like it can (and should) become vanilla functionality. It doesn't feel all that cheaty in its current form, and actually gives the game a bit of an Oregon Trail feel, which is pretty great.

Here I've checked the "use limit" button and carefully spent my points on the most imbalanced possible start in my favor. Relationships are free, so two are married and two are sisters. Note the breeding pair of huskies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

straw man posted:

Toned down a bit, Prepare Carefully feels like it can (and should) become vanilla functionality. It doesn't feel all that cheaty in its current form, and actually gives the game a bit of an Oregon Trail feel, which is pretty great.

Here I've checked the "use limit" button and carefully spent my points on the most imbalanced possible start in my favor. Relationships are free, so two are married and two are sisters. Note the breeding pair of huskies.
Yeah, I think it's kind of inevitable you'll have some sort of planner to keep people from rerolling total nonstarter parties for 10 minutes every time, but I think a lot of stuff will continue to be RNG just because it'd be such a bag of dicks to balance. Relationships you already highlighted. Traits I think are another one you just have to leave up to chance - Creepy Breathing for example is ostensibly a negatrait but it affects almost nothing so I'd take it as carte blanche to get more skills.

The only alternative to doing something like PC is if you're able to do something like allocate 10 skill points to a pawn that absolutely must be true; so you could demand a 10 Medicine pawn, or a 5 Medicine 5 Mining pawn, but never 10 Medicine 10 Mining. And then every time you hit the reroll button the game rolls as normal, but if it doesn't hit your demands the pawn is immediately discarded and rerolled. The point being, some way to tell the game what your basic demands are for this pawn, and then have it just roll until it comes up with something you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

straw man posted:

As a quick note, your point limit is based on whatever the original random generation gives you and that can vary wildly between (from what I've seen) 9000-14000 points depending on your initial random colonists and random pet.

I usually just give myself 12,000 points for a "crash landed" scenario. But that might be a bit too generous.