Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Catberry posted:

I don't remember what problem prompted that design. It's at least two years old.

It could have been the output being jammed for one side and the system then relaying the ore to the other.

I do remember it spawned from a real issue that it then solved.

I keep my storage chests (as seen) split into two sections because a lot of the time the production line will need a blue belt feeding both sides worth of iron/copper. The output also feeds to both sides and then loops around in case one side is full.

During low activity the game will take copper plates from a single side mainly but once the system goes into full production it feeds from both.

Why make the loops instead of a load balancer at the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

totalnewbie posted:

Why make the loops instead of a load balancer at the beginning?

All the load balancers I made ended up with only putting ore on one side of the belt instead of both so when the output was clogged on one side the system would feed a single line to the other side. The loop uses the spare side for surplus ore.

If you have say... 10 ores per second going in on both sides of a belt. The balancer will give 5 per second to each row of furnaces. If one side gets clogged, that side gets 0 per second and the other side gets 5 per second.

The loop feeds the ore of the clogged side into the functional side so that side then gets 10 per second. Maybe it can only handle 7 per second but it means the processing limit remains the capability of the furnaces and not the speed of the balancer.

Ideally each side of furnaces will be upgraded to be able to smelt ore faster than the system brings them in. That way one side of furnaces can compensate for the other when needed.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 21, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
loops are real good for the following reasons:

• They look cool

There might be more but I never got past point #1

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Catberry posted:

All the load balancers I made ended up with only putting ore on one side of the belt instead of both so when the output was clogged on one side the system would feed a single line to the other side. The loop uses the spare side for surplus ore.

If you have say... 10 ores per second going in on both sides of a belt. The balancer will give 5 per second to each row of furnaces. If one side gets clogged, that side gets 0 per second and the other side gets 5 per second.

The loop feeds the ore of the clogged side into the functional side so that side then gets 10 per second. Maybe it can only handle 7 per second but it means the processing limit remains the capability of the furnaces and not the speed of the balancer.

Ideally each side of furnaces will be upgraded to be able to smelt ore faster than the system brings them in. That way one side of furnaces can compensate for the other when needed.

But if you use a load balancer, the furnaces can all pull from the same belt, which means that if one side is clogged then there is always ore for the furnaces to pull from. Because you only have a single belt incoming, you're always limited by the belt capacity anyway.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

totalnewbie posted:

But if you use a load balancer, the furnaces can all pull from the same belt, which means that if one side is clogged then there is always ore for the furnaces to pull from. Because you only have a single belt incoming, you're always limited by the belt capacity anyway.

I could never get a load balancer to turn two incoming lines of ore on a single belt into four lines split over two belts.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Catberry posted:

I could never get a load balancer to turn two incoming lines of ore on a single belt into four lines split over two belts.

Just use a splitter?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
There is probably a more efficient way of doing it, but this worked pretty well for me:
code:
    ==\
==>=/ ===>===
  >===/  >===

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Tenebrais posted:

Just use a splitter?

That turns two lines on one belt into one line on two belts.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Catberry posted:

Metal processing station.

It's all in a loop once the ore reaches the furnaces so if one side has less to do the ore moves to the other

Edit: None of them have any upgrades yet which is why the output is so low.

Why have that loop system in there at all? Why not just run the one belt and have both rows of furnaces pull off it? :confused:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How can I get fully satured ore belts? My train offloading stations use two dedicated red belt buses, but as it goes down each column of furnaces, it fucks up cause the furnaces at the farthest end get next to no ore. I suck at balancing so I dunno how best to increase efficiency. It makes me get annoyed seeing furnaces doing nothing cause they aren't being fed enough ore.

My furnace columns comprise of 48 furnaces in total (24 on each side of the belt) and I have about 6 columns side by side. I dunno how to do belt splitter magic to ensure each column gets an equal amount of ore.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
48 furnaces on a branch is blue belt territory no matter what tricks you pull.

Max furnaces on a red branch is 44-45. If your train offloading saturates 2 red belts, it can never feed more than 90 furnaces.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

zedprime posted:

48 furnaces on a branch is blue belt territory no matter what tricks you pull.

Max furnaces on a red branch is 44-45. If your train offloading saturates 2 red belts, it can never feed more than 90 furnaces.

poo poo, thanks for that. No wonder the later columns get nothing. I'm way about 90 furnaces.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Loopoo posted:

How can I get fully satured ore belts? My train offloading stations use two dedicated red belt buses, but as it goes down each column of furnaces, it fucks up cause the furnaces at the farthest end get next to no ore. I suck at balancing so I dunno how best to increase efficiency. It makes me get annoyed seeing furnaces doing nothing cause they aren't being fed enough ore.

My furnace columns comprise of 48 furnaces in total (24 on each side of the belt) and I have about 6 columns side by side. I dunno how to do belt splitter magic to ensure each column gets an equal amount of ore.

First quick question - what kind of furnaces are you using? Have you checked to math to make sure you don't have too many for the full capacity of the belt you're feeding them with?

i.e. in vanilla, with yellow belts (13.33 or 40/3 items per second total possible throughput) and stone furnaces (crafting speed of 1) making iron plates (takes 3.5s to craft at speed 1), each furnace consumes about .286 iron ore and outputs the same amount of plate. That means that one fully-saturated iron ore belt will feed 47 furnaces (24 on each side). Double that for red belts (26.66 items/sec) and triple for blue (40 items/sec).

Second: have you ever seen the 'count-perfect' (not lane-perfect) belt balancers? It looks like [url="https://wiki.factorio.com/Balancers"]this Factorio Wiki page has a bunch of images to demonstrate how to build them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I assumed they were steel/electric furnaces because that's like an upgrade I gun for as soon as I have the opportunity. But I want to see the game where someone hits 288 stone furnaces naturally because I think that person would understand the real spirit of Factorio in a way I never will while I'm dug into spreadsheets.

e. For posterity, 2 red belts is still only 180 some stone furnaces but the fractions start adding up to call it 182 stone furnaces.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 21, 2017

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Azuth0667 posted:

Superheated steam fence that vaporizes biters :getin:

I'm looking to be able to burn biter bodies for fuel in my boilers.

Just a couple of belts outside my walls, carting biters into the ovens.

E: belt biter bodies to burn in boilers

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Loopoo posted:

Saturating ore belts is best accomplished by offloading ore from trains onto multiple separate belt lines and then merging them with splitters:

code:
TTTT
IIII
CCCC
IIII
|||\>
||\>>====
|\>>
\=>
If your furnaces at the end of a line aren't getting any ore (and you've saturated the ore line) then either you need a faster belt or a shorter line.

Splitting inputs evenly between multiple furnace lines usually isn't necessary, just solve your input problems and once line 1 is saturated all overflow will go to line 2, etc.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Pi In The Sky posted:

Why have that loop system in there at all? Why not just run the one belt and have both rows of furnaces pull off it? :confused:

There was a very good reason for that but I can't remember it at the moment. Someone good at Factorio help explain please.

Edit: Maybe so it can support an input larger than a full blue belt?

Catberry fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 21, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Catberry posted:

There was a very good reason for that but I can't remember it at the moment. Someone good at Factorio help explain please.

because it looks cool

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Catberry posted:

That turns two lines on one belt into one line on two belts.

It turns into two lines (alternating) for me so I'm sorry your mods arent working right.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

GenericOverusedName posted:

It turns into two lines (alternating) for me so I'm sorry your mods arent working right.

For me it puts out two conveyors with 100% on the top row and it only uses the bottom row if the top was blocked.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Buncha shameful engineers ITT

https://zippy.gfycat.com/UnkemptCapitalChuckwalla.webm

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

I think strictly speaking this layout is only lane-perfect because the input is lane-perfect? If the input had more on one side than the other, the two belts would still end up with the same number of processing units but the lanes wouldn't be the same.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Indeed, but I assumed the point was to split a fully saturated belt. If it isn't saturated, then clearly one must increase production.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

seravid posted:

Indeed, but I assumed the point was to split a fully saturated belt. If it isn't saturated, then clearly one must increase production.

It varies a lot depending on the ore field or if a train comes in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There are two goals depending on what the belts meant to do. If its a highway or trunk sort of belt, you should try to jam more onto it than it can take. If its a branch sort of belt, you should be drawing less than its max throughput along its length.

This philosophy results in a (beautiful) universal logjam and there's efficiency in trying to turn it into just barely logjamming but lets face it, Factorio is the land of plenty.

Fancy splitting is pretty but not needed if you use champagne filling a pyramid of glasses as your inspiration.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Catberry posted:

It varies a lot depending on the ore field or if a train comes in.

Balancers in your ore fields and loaders (maybe they're only in mods?) solve these issues. Loads pull from a box and fully saturate a belt.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

totalnewbie posted:

Balancers in your ore fields and loaders (maybe they're only in mods?) solve these issues. Loads pull from a box and fully saturate a belt.

Loaders were created for the base game but discarded; they still exist in base but can't be researched, unlocked or built. The mods that add them just unlock them, basically, then there's another additional mod that improves some quirks of behavior they have.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Update on Baby's First Factorio:

I'm 30% of the way to finishing the rocket. I could rejigger the entire factory to serve the production of rocket parts alone because I have plenty of everything else I need, but it's so much work.

Also, flame throwers and poison capsules erryday.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Antti posted:

I'm 30% of the way to finishing the rocket. I could rejigger the entire factory to serve the production of rocket parts alone because I have plenty of everything else I need, but it's so much work.

Also, flame throwers and poison capsules erryday.

Robots and blueprints. Then more robots. Rebuilding is then a simple matter of a few clicks and kick back to watch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Catberry posted:

For me it puts out two conveyors with 100% on the top row and it only uses the bottom row if the top was blocked.

It doesn't seem like this is actually a problem though?

Like, if both branches are consuming the entire lane of resources, it literally doesn't matter. Distributing them between lanes in a different fashion won't improve anything.

The second lane on each side will get used if you have more than one belt of input, or if one of the outputs back up. So what's the problem?

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Whoopsies

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 22, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ignoranus posted:

First quick question - what kind of furnaces are you using? Have you checked to math to make sure you don't have too many for the full capacity of the belt you're feeding them with?

i.e. in vanilla, with yellow belts (13.33 or 40/3 items per second total possible throughput) and stone furnaces (crafting speed of 1) making iron plates (takes 3.5s to craft at speed 1), each furnace consumes about .286 iron ore and outputs the same amount of plate. That means that one fully-saturated iron ore belt will feed 47 furnaces (24 on each side). Double that for red belts (26.66 items/sec) and triple for blue (40 items/sec).

Second: have you ever seen the 'count-perfect' (not lane-perfect) belt balancers? It looks like [url="https://wiki.factorio.com/Balancers"]this Factorio Wiki page has a bunch of images to demonstrate how to build them.

This has solved my issue. I was using steel furnaces and was trying to feed too many with just a red belt. That belt balancer wiki link is a godsend, thanks.

Nevets posted:

Saturating ore belts is best accomplished by offloading ore from trains onto multiple separate belt lines and then merging them with splitters:

code:
TTTT
IIII
CCCC
IIII
|||\>
||\>>====
|\>>
\=>
If your furnaces at the end of a line aren't getting any ore (and you've saturated the ore line) then either you need a faster belt or a shorter line.

Splitting inputs evenly between multiple furnace lines usually isn't necessary, just solve your input problems and once line 1 is saturated all overflow will go to line 2, etc.

Took your advice and shortened my furnace line as I was trying to feed way too many furnaces. I figured since the train belts were fully saturated, I was mucking up with my balancing act, but now I realise I was stupid and didn't take into account belts can only move so many items per second.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

zedprime posted:

There are two goals depending on what the belts meant to do. If its a highway or trunk sort of belt, you should try to jam more onto it than it can take. If its a branch sort of belt, you should be drawing less than its max throughput along its length.

This philosophy results in a (beautiful) universal logjam and there's efficiency in trying to turn it into just barely logjamming but lets face it, Factorio is the land of plenty.

Fancy splitting is pretty but not needed if you use champagne filling a pyramid of glasses as your inspiration.

Thank you for putting into words my greatest weakness in my factory designs. I'm really bad at using belts well, with no real understanding of what I need to do to fully saturate a belt and no intuition of each belt's max throughput. That's something I'll focus on when I start a new game.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kinetica posted:

I hate all of you, I saw lots of posts and hoped the next patch dropped :eng99:

If you read the thread regularly or checked the Wube website you'd know when it's due.

You might also want to read this post. In particular rule number 2.

On a Factorio note, I had a look at NPUtils last night. It's like Youki Industries without the extra ores. The same no research approach but with pretty graphics and a lot of the same concepts.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Ratzap posted:

If you read the thread regularly or checked the Wube website you'd know when it's due.

So, uh, whens it due?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Time for a little break. Next time do it quicker than 26 hours :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

26 hours is good time! My first game was over 50.

That was back when it was a Missile Defence rather than a rocket launch, but that just meant ending the game came even earlier.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
26 hours is pretty good for your first time!

That unmined copper patch is still going to drive me nuts.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would really like for a bot that can just mine things in the radius for you. I'd only make like, 50 or so but it'd clear out all the poo poo in my perfect base and that's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I have literally plopped down drills as densely packed as possible and loaded to the gills with speed 3 modules before just to clear out ore patches and put them in boxes