Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

hypnophant posted:

A portable dishwasher is a full-size (18” or 24”) dishwasher in a wheeled cabinet, it will not fit on a countertop.

Oh derp, sorry folks.

Anyone here ever get an Instant Pot and end up disliking it? Was thinking of getting a nice dutch oven since I miss my old one, but I am a lazy and impatient man so the Pots are an enticing alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

hypnophant posted:

A portable dishwasher is a full-size (18” or 24”) dishwasher in a wheeled cabinet, it will not fit on a countertop.

My experience is they’re on par with a bargain-tier apartment dishwasher, which is to say, better in every way than having no dishwasher at all. But they take up a lot of space and aren’t any cheaper than a built-in dishwasher, so the only reason have one is if the kitchen isn’t outfitted for, and you can’t install, a regular one.

Yeah, and Wheeee is right that the countertop ones are a whole new level of terrible. Definitely avoid those.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Wheeee posted:

Oh derp, sorry folks.

Anyone here ever get an Instant Pot and end up disliking it? Was thinking of getting a nice dutch oven since I miss my old one, but I am a lazy and impatient man so the Pots are an enticing alternative.

The reaction spectrum that I have seen for people getting Instant Pots starts at “Mostly Like It” and goes to “Begins a Cult to Worship and Spread the Word of The Instant Pot”.

Seems like a pretty safe purchase if it feels like you want one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a portable dishwasher, full-size GE with a metal interior. Everything I take out of it is flawlessly gleaming clean. I hate the rack layouts so I load dishes on top of tools, etc., and it still cleans absolutely everything perfectly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

It’s also on sale at Costco for the next 30 days

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Thanks for the input, I also read some reviews and they also said the only real downside to the low-profile Vitamix was in working with very small batches. That can be mitigated by buying an additional smaller pitcher (not sure I wanna do that) Ended up pulling the trigger on the one from the bookstore. Not sure how their price compares to the warehouse with free samples and cheap hotdogs, but I don't have a membership. And I hate the shopping experience there.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do you know which Instant Pot to get? The Pro Crisp 8QT is on sale now for $170 on Amazon. We have a Philips airfryer and Zojiurishi rice cooker already. Mostly we’re looking for a pressure cooker. Does it still make sense to get this big all-in-one thing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Vegetable posted:

How do you know which Instant Pot to get? The Pro Crisp 8QT is on sale now for $170 on Amazon. We have a Philips airfryer and Zojiurishi rice cooker already. Mostly we’re looking for a pressure cooker. Does it still make sense to get this big all-in-one thing?
There's no point getting the one with the air fryer lid if you already have an air fryer

I guess if you can't get an equivalent one without the air fryer lid it won't hurt other than taking up extra space though

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Get whatever one is 8-9qt that has the saute function in my opinion. They might all have that? I certainly would not pay more for any 'extra' modes because you're going to be using saute like 1/4 of the time to brown your onions or whatever and then you're going to put the lid on and set a pressure cook time.

I think the 'duo' is that machine but I dunno.

Wheeee posted:

Oh derp, sorry folks.

It's like $100 bucks and if you like and use it your life will be changed so I think it's a pretty low barrier to entry. I do think it's a completely different thing from a dutch oven: a dutch oven can also be used to make bread, can be used as a large pot on the stove, etc. I have a dutch oven and an instant pot and literally nothing that I use the instant pot for would work in the dutch oven and vice versa.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 11, 2022

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Stews and other braised meals are the main crossovers between a Dutch oven and instant pot I would assume.

We basically only use our instant pot to make brown rice (15 mins v 45+ min on the stove), but it’s p nice to make some hard boiled eggs or mushroom risotto with a few clicks of a button every now and then. It’s also nice that it doesn’t take up an eye on the range, so it can be helpful if you are making a multi-dish meal since you effectively now have an additional cooking surface.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

How many kobata (compartments)? Does it have to be pinku (pink)?
I assume this is some kind of weeaboo troll thing but the answers are (a) don't care and (b) no. I do want a larger one though

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I assume this is some kind of weeaboo troll thing but the answers are (a) don't care and (b) no. I do want a larger one though

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=94

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Absolutely not my goal to troll you in any way just trying to celebrate one of the SA things that won't leave my brain.

I found this online retail place that sells bento boxes as you describe. They have walls so that your gohan won't touch other things and get them wet.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Duo or duo pro if you want the fancier buttons imo. The extra cooking settings on the pro don’t seem that useful but having the dial instead of buttons would be nice for setting the time. I got a 6qt duo for $50 on black friday a few years ago which is as low as it’s ever been, but there are frequent sales if you don’t mind waiting.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Absolutely not my goal to troll you in any way just trying to celebrate one of the SA things that won't leave my brain.

I found this online retail place that sells bento boxes as you describe. They have walls so that your gohan won't touch other things and get them wet.

I would have been disappointed had the first response not been like yours

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks. Unfortunately these are literally all plastic.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

hypnophant posted:

My experience is they’re on par with a bargain-tier apartment dishwasher, which is to say, better in every way than having no dishwasher at all. But they take up a lot of space and aren’t any cheaper than a built-in dishwasher, so the only reason have one is if the kitchen isn’t outfitted for, and you can’t install, a regular one.

i could see having one as like a dedicated bar/glassware warsher. but yeah.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Queen Victorian posted:

Dishwasher is DEFINITELY planned, as we do not have one currently and it sucks a lot. We haven't ordered it yet...

Please order it now and do not begin demo until you have it on premises. It is exceedingly difficult to find good ones right now unless you aren't looking for a good one or live in some fortunate areas.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Brother Tadger posted:

There’s a website that you use to sign up for a listserv which then alerts you to the sales. I don’t have the link handy, but someone usually posts the link itt most times when the sales start

https://www.discovertheburgh.com/all-clad-seconds-sale/

Looks like they may have stopped them in 2019?

E: just saw the link one page back.

https://homeandcooksales.com/

They are still on.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 12, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Thanks. Unfortunately these are literally all plastic.

hmm... this might be something I could do in ceramic for you.

I hand-build some ocean-inspired art ceramics that have very very roughly the same shape and concept:

I could make something a lot less esoteric and rough, rectangular with more regular compartments.

(I also make the humble yet versatile goatse mugs. you could buy like 8 and strap them together.)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can you make them in pinku?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
:hai: it can be pinku or any girl color

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Do you make them in Japan? I don’t want one from china or corea (korea) or whatever.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Empty Sandwich posted:

(I also make the humble yet versatile goatse mugs. you could buy like 8 and strap them together.)

It's true goatse was always missing more trypophobia

E: by the way, cheers!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 12, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Amazon (at least UK) have some dumb sale on today, it's prime only, but they will give out prime free trials at the drop of a hat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-7-6074-Kitchen-Cutlery-Peeler/dp/B001U51ZRQ

This vegetable peeler is very good, and I just bought a second one just in case I lose the first one or it goes super blunt or something.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0050DL5SI?psc=1

I also bought a kitchen knife.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Chemmy posted:

Do you make them in Japan? I don’t want one from china or corea (korea) or whatever.

they're made in the country that makes the most weebs! I bet!

BrianBoitano posted:

E: by the way, cheers!

hell yes, original run. I appreciate it... they're still selling 12 years later.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Big-rear end knife recommendation.

I make and sell bacon from whole pork bellies. The bellies I get are about 24 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 2 inches thick. I slice the cured/smoked bellies with a deli slicer for packaging. Before the deli slicer, I use an 8-inch chef's knife to trim them up. I make trims like:
-Cutting them in half, because only one half will fit in the slicer at a time.
-Cutting them down to 10 inches wide, as that's our standard size
-Cutting off bit that are pure fat
-Cutting off hangers of skin off the edge

I'd like to get a larger knife to do some of this trimming. On the longer cuts, I'd end up sawing back and forth a bit, which leads to jagged edges on the meat. I think a 12- to 14-inch blade would come in handy.

Webstaurant has a ton of butcher knives, and something called a "climeter" knife that I've never heard of before. Would you recommend any of these for large cuts of meat?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I used to have a 12 or 14 inch granton edge slicer from Victorinox that I really liked. It would work well for most of that, but as a slicer isn't as maneuverable as other blade types.

I think this is what I had: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-5-4203-30-12-slicing-carving-knife-with-fibrox-handle/35340543.html

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 14, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a 14" brisket slicer but when I'm butchering pork bellies I think I always just use my 270mm/10.5" chefs knife, not really sure which would be better.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Dexter Russells are great too. I have used this one for years now: https://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Russell-SG140-12SC-PCP-SofGrip-Scalloped/dp/B00332J9YK/ref=sr_1_4

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bagheera posted:

Big-rear end knife recommendation.

I make and sell bacon from whole pork bellies. The bellies I get are about 24 inches long, 12 inches wide, and 2 inches thick. I slice the cured/smoked bellies with a deli slicer for packaging. Before the deli slicer, I use an 8-inch chef's knife to trim them up. I make trims like:
-Cutting them in half, because only one half will fit in the slicer at a time.
-Cutting them down to 10 inches wide, as that's our standard size
-Cutting off bit that are pure fat
-Cutting off hangers of skin off the edge

I'd like to get a larger knife to do some of this trimming. On the longer cuts, I'd end up sawing back and forth a bit, which leads to jagged edges on the meat. I think a 12- to 14-inch blade would come in handy.

Webstaurant has a ton of butcher knives, and something called a "climeter" knife that I've never heard of before. Would you recommend any of these for large cuts of meat?

Climeter knife seems to be similar/the same as a breaking knife. This is the ultra big boy we used for halfs, but for just bellies, a 10 is probably good enough.

Breaking Knife,15-1/2 in L,Curved https://a.co/d/dfMDudM

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Doom Rooster posted:

Climeter knife seems to be similar/the same as a breaking knife. This is the ultra big boy we used for halfs, but for just bellies, a 10 is probably good enough.

Breaking Knife,15-1/2 in L,Curved https://a.co/d/dfMDudM

Yeah my FIL has one of these for carving big roasts and stuff, it’s pretty great.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Empty Sandwich posted:

hmm... this might be something I could do in ceramic for you.

I hand-build some ocean-inspired art ceramics that have very very roughly the same shape and concept:

I could make something a lot less esoteric and rough, rectangular with more regular compartments.

Thanks, I love that idea but my partner is also a potter and I'm pretty sure she would slice off my nuts in the middle of the night if I bought someone else's pottery

This one is pretty much perfect, too bad it's THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE UNITED STATES DOLLARS

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
One thing I've never been able to bring myself to buy is a roaster:

https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/13-x-16-inch-large-roaster-with-rack-stainless-steel-second-quality-1.html

The only thing I would really use it for is roasting a chicken and I do that maybe three times a year.

But I just make a bed of carrots, onions, celery, etc in my cast iron and then place the chicken on top of that for roasting.

I don't have a lot of space for equipment. Can someone confirm that I'm doing the right thing? So many recipes reference a roaster but maybe it's easier to assume people have one of those rather than a cast iron?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks, I love that idea but my partner is also a potter and I'm pretty sure she would slice off my nuts in the middle of the night if I bought someone else's pottery

This one is pretty much perfect, too bad it's THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY FIVE UNITED STATES DOLLARS

That’s a lot of compartments (kobata)!

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

FaradayCage posted:

I'm only cooking for 2, but I haven't used my roaster more than once or twice in the last 5 years. I bought it for a specific thing years ago and barely use it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

you ate my cat posted:

I'm only cooking for 2, but I haven't used my roaster more than once or twice in the last 5 years. I bought it for a specific thing years ago and barely use it.

Same; mine was a cheap enamel-fleck one (like those old school camp mugs) so o just went ahead and gave it to goodwill and now I just use a half sheet baking sheet

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

FaradayCage posted:

https://homeandcooksales.com/index.php/13-x-16-inch-large-roaster-with-rack-stainless-steel-second-quality-1.html

The only thing I would really use it for is roasting a chicken and I do that maybe three times a year.

But I just make a bed of carrots, onions, celery, etc in my cast iron and then place the chicken on top of that for roasting.

I don't have a lot of space for equipment. Can someone confirm that I'm doing the right thing? So many recipes reference a roaster but maybe it's easier to assume people have one of those rather than a cast iron?
I pieced together basically everything I’d ever need for my kitchen out of All-Clad sales over a decade ago but was never able to justify a roaster. Really the only place it would really excel over a cheap one is when making gravy out of drippings over multiple burners on thanksgiving. Every All-Clad stainless pan produces an absolutely astonishing amount of fond. However, that’s once a year and a hand me down non-stick one is still holding up.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a bad rear end piece of equipment that’s made in America and guaranteed forever, but don’t suffer any delusions that it’s going to roast a bird noticeably better than a cheapo roaster. Honestly a cast enameled dutch oven would probably be even better for a chicken.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You can roast in a Dutch oven also, I wouldn't buy another kitchen thing for the same reason. I do this with the lid off but for longer, lower heat toasts you can probably have the lid on at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I roast a chicken almost every week in the fall and winter. I still don't own a roasting pan. I have a vertical roaster for like $12 and it makes the most incredible chicken with 180° of flawless crackling skin. Pork roasts and prime rib roasts just go on a rack on a regular sheet pan.

I think the only thing I'd use a roasting pan for is a turkey. And you can always spatchcock or part that out