Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Tracula posted:

I tell people I wish I could play guitar like Van Halen or harmonica like Sonny Terry. Am I the real rear end in a top hat? :ohdear:

No, it just means you wish it were EASY to be as good at guitar, idiot :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No, it just means you wish it were EASY to be as good at guitar, idiot :smug:

you sound angry about being told to practice to get good at something

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What an rear end in a top hat

It's overblown, but I appreciate the sentiment. It can be annoying to have accomplishments trivialized by ascribing it to God, rather than your own hard work.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

What an rear end in a top hat

Goddamn how big is that crayon?!?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Busket Posket posted:

Another angle on the old "How dare you be mad about X when Y is also happening!" Not sure how Iron Man fits in here.

Things like this are always shared by the people who think Walmart-brand green bulbs in their porch light will save lives.

Where do they even get these numbers? About 400 WW2 vets die every day. I have no idea where 22 comes from.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It is legit annoying to have put unfathomable hours into practicing a skill and be told "ohh you're so lucky, I wish I was good at [drawing/music/whatever]!" Like, do you think I started out able to play an instrument worth a drat?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It is legit annoying to have put unfathomable hours into practicing a skill and be told "ohh you're so lucky, I wish I was good at [drawing/music/whatever]!" Like, do you think I started out able to play an instrument worth a drat?

Seems like a silly thing to get upset about when you know they're not actually trying to be condescending (in most cases) and are just complimenting you

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's probably wearing after the 500th time you hear it though, I wouldn't know as I'm terrible at everything.

Incredibly heavy handed visual metaphors are so my jam.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
You are lucky you had the determination, capability, time, and materials necessary to master your craft.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

Seems like a silly thing to get upset about when you know they're not actually trying to be condescending (in most cases) and are just complimenting you

Well, considering that artists get paid jack poo poo for a skill that takes years to master. Yeah, they have a right to be upset when people don't take it seriously. Although the author of that post is probably taking it too far.

Some of my friends work as illustrators, and it took them years of borderline poverty to even make a living because everyone thinks art is easy and that they should just do work for "exposure". People abuse the gently caress out of artists, despite the fact that their work is incredibly visible to customers.

Elderbean has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Apr 25, 2016

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Krispy Kareem posted:

Where do they even get these numbers? About 400 WW2 vets die every day. I have no idea where 22 comes from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_veteran_suicide

Not that we should expect specifics from Social Media.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
*lil timmy no-hands looks forlornly at drawings* "you're lucky, i wish i could draw like you"

"oi go gently caress urself u little poo poo, if you wanted to git gud youd pick up that crayon"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Elderbean posted:

Well, considering that artists get paid jack poo poo for a skill that takes years to master. Yeah, they have a right to be upset about it.

Some of my friends work as illustrators, and it took them years of borderline poverty to even make a living because everyone thinks art is easy and that they should just do work for "exposure". People abuse the gently caress out of artists, despite the fact that their work is incredibly visible to customers.

i will refrain from complimenting artists then and will instead critique them harshly

because if i say that they had any kind of innate talent they might take that as a sign that they should stop trying

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Literally The Worst posted:

i will refrain from complimenting artists then and will instead critique them harshly

That's fine as long as it's not "No, I don't like that. No, I don't know what I don't like about it. No, I don't have any words for what it is I want. Just try something completely different."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

artsy fartsy posted:

That's fine as long as it's not "No, I don't like that. No, I don't know what I don't like about it. No, I don't have any words for what it is I want. Just try something completely different."

if you missed the point any harder you'd break something

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Elderbean posted:

Well, considering that artists get paid jack poo poo for a skill that takes years to master. Yeah, they have a right to be upset when people don't take it seriously. Although the author of that post is probably taking it too far.

Right, and that attitude comes from thinking artistic skill is a born talent more than something people work for. Honestly, the most it's ever annoyed me has been trying to teach students in design classes where drawing is tangential but very useful, and having them all say "I'll never be that good" or "I just don't have the ability." They would just refuse to believe me that they could do what I was doing if they just loving practiced.

lfield
May 10, 2008

because if i say that they had any kind of innate talent they might take that as a sign that they should stop trying

"You're a good artist"
"You're lucky you're talented"

One's a nice compliment, one might piss someone off, depending.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

EmmyOk posted:

It's probably wearing after the 500th time you hear it though, I wouldn't know as I'm terrible at everything.

Incredibly heavy handed visual metaphors are so my jam.

The "MAKES U THINK" thing is my least favourite art genre.

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012

Tracula posted:

I tell people I wish I could play guitar like Van Halen or harmonica like Sonny Terry. Am I the real rear end in a top hat? :ohdear:

No, guitarists are the jocks of the art world, duh.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
If artists wanted to make a living off their craft they should get STEM degrees instead :smug: :smuggo: :smugspike: :smugdog: :smugbird: :smugdon:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Weatherman posted:

If artists wanted to make a living off their craft they should get STEM degrees instead :smug: :smuggo: :smugspike: :smugdog: :smugbird: :smugdon:

Goddamnit Trump is an emoticon now? Jeezus... wait until D&D gets wind of this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

see also: dobson, andrew

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i hate everything about this

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

stdh.txt followed by IoSM

Now all they need is to include a plate of loose corn and we can get the ol' triple whamie

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Practical Demon posted:

Right, and that attitude comes from thinking artistic skill is a born talent more than something people work for. Honestly, the most it's ever annoyed me has been trying to teach students in design classes where drawing is tangential but very useful, and having them all say "I'll never be that good" or "I just don't have the ability." They would just refuse to believe me that they could do what I was doing if they just loving practiced.

There is definitely an aspect of talent. Like, it's true that no one manages to become extremely good at something without putting in a lot of hard work, but some people are certainly able to do so far more efficiently. That being said, it's pretty much impossible to tell how talented someone is from just looking at their work (since you don't know exactly how long it took them to become that good).

I think talent probably plays a bigger role in skills that involve a more intellectual element. Like learning the basics when it comes to reading/playing music can take radically different amounts of time depending upon how intelligent someone is. Some people seem to just naturally understand how to do certain things involving muscle memory as well (for example vibrato with stringed instruments). I remember when I played the cello growing up being confused at the other students who spent months/years having to learn exactly how to do vibrato properly, when it just seemed like common sense to me from day one. But all of this is probably only relevant for everything up to becoming merely "proficient" at a craft and learning the basics. Once you reach that point, nothing other than hard work and a lot of time is going to cause you to improve.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Must... shoehorn... Prince's death... into... every... political... issue...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Busket Posket posted:

Must... shoehorn... Prince's death... into... every... political... issue...

I can only image people who post poo poo like this, and all the Crowders and other shithead pundits crowing about this endlessly go into public washrooms and stare at everyone while they piss or take a poo poo, and they assume that's how everyone acts so they don't want trans people doing it.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Prince was definitely an ardent defender of the gender binary.

Someone tell me what this means.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Do hair dressers normally wear black? Is that a thing?

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

twistedmentat posted:

I can only image people who post poo poo like this, and all the Crowders and other shithead pundits crowing about this endlessly go into public washrooms and stare at everyone while they piss or take a poo poo, and they assume that's how everyone acts so they don't want trans people doing it.

Whenever I go into a restroom I start swinging my penis at everyone like it's a battering ram, because I'm a man and that's what men do.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Count Uvula posted:

Prince was definitely an ardent defender of the gender binary.

Someone tell me what this means.

It means that hairdressers are the gothest of the goth, obv

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I wonder how these toilet-paranoids would fare on a trip to Japan. The cleaning staff are all middle-aged or old women and no one bats an eyelid about taking a piss at one urinal while she's scrubbing out the one next to you. It's like everyone has junk and it's not a big deal or something, I dunno

fake edit: Even the FOB international hires seem to be able to piss in such a situation without clutching their pearls or getting a bad case of the spergs

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Aesop Poprock posted:

It depends. If it's just a quick compliment of, "You're so talented!" I get that they appreciate my work.

Of some surprise to me, I have run into a handful of bitter people who use such "compliments" to minimize your hard work so they don't have to feel as bad about not doing something well. The kinds of people that have self esteem issues or who are often jealous types.

If you're a functioning member of society, it's pretty easy to tell which kind of person you are talking too. It would be nice if people admitted that they don't have the time or patience for a skill rather than making some bullshit excuse as to why they just wouldn't be good at it.

Holden MacRoin
Sep 5, 2011

give them five bucks instead of complimenting them, dickhead. they'll know you're sincere

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Holden MacRoin posted:

give them five bucks instead of complimenting them, dickhead. they'll know you're sincere

... why would you give them five bucks

are they busking? that's a completely different deal man

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Turn the maudlin to max

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

EmmyOk posted:

Turn the maudlin to max

Okay, this bugs me considerably. With that lineup, you can have either Robin Williams or Freddie Mercury, not both. It's either 'big celebrities who died in the last couple years' or 'now dead iconic musicians from the 70s and 80s', fit both of those two in and you push it too far. Michael Jackson's already pushing the former a bit far, but I'll still accept him if he's the only one pushing it.

God drat semantics!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Nah that's just "famous people who are dead and whom the Internet likes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Okay, this bugs me considerably. With that lineup, you can have either Robin Williams or Freddie Mercury, not both. It's either 'big celebrities who died in the last couple years' or 'now dead iconic musicians from the 70s and 80s', fit both of those two in and you push it too far. Michael Jackson's already pushing the former a bit far, but I'll still accept him if he's the only one pushing it.

God drat semantics!

Recognizable pop-culture people who died.