Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gambit was really popular right around the time the first X-men movie came out, maybe they never updated their notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Most of the X-Men, aside from Wolverine, don't really function well as solo characters, outside of the team. I think the push for a Gambit movie (and the whole push for the character starting in the '90s) was to create a cool, dashing solo hero who could be spun off into his own franchise while still appearing in X-Men stories.

Obviously he has fallen out of favor in recent years, while Deadpool became that very thing. But I'm sure someone, at some point (15 years ago?) thought about a Gambit franchise with an A-lister like Johnny Depp.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He's such an inherently stupid character, I can't imagine a movie that makes him look cool or interesting. He's just come idiot with a bad accent and a penchant for throwing cards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He's such an inherently stupid character, I can't imagine a movie that makes him look cool or interesting. He's just come idiot with a bad accent and a penchant for throwing cards.

Eh. Gambit is, at his core, a good-natured rogue with a cool set of powers. It isn't at all hard to make him interesting. It's just that aside from his powers there isn't a lot to make him distinctive either.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gambit is only good as a supporting character in Laura Kinney comics.

And I feel like Gambit is being pushed for a solo movie because Fox wants to have a Deadpool level success with a movie they made, as Deadpool was very much the passion project between Reynolds and the Director more than it was a Fox film. They can't really take credit for it, but Gambit is like Deadpool right? They fail to understand that Deadpool worked because it was made by people who gave a poo poo about the character, and actually understood why he was so popular.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I like that Gambit is a dashing rogue but also a huge idiot who's always out of his depth.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nobody was marching in the streets demanding Guardians of the Galaxy either.
I honestly think there was more fan demand for
GotG than Gambit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I honestly think there was more fan demand for
GotG than Gambit

Gambit is like one of the top 5 most popular X-men of all time. He may no longer be cool to most of us, but people who stopped reading comics in 2001 still remember him as "almost as cool as Wolverine". Just like how Venom is still considered one of the coolest villains of all time if you ask a general audience.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's me. I'm that guy.

I haven't read an X-Men comic (aside from X-Men '92's first few issues) since like, the early 2000s, but I still think Gambit is pretty drat rad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Gambit is awesome he'll be all like " I'm charging you with assault and battery monami" and throw a charged up saltshaker and battery at the bad guy.

And the bad guy will have him on the ropes at the end and be like "I'm gonna make you PAY!" and then Gambit will say "I'll charge it" and then the bad guy loving EXPLODES.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hell Fox could just throw in a gratuitous FF cameo in a slated X film and that might even count enough to keep the rights.

It was heavily rumored that they were going to make Old Man Logan into a film but swap in the Thing from the then new F4 film as the bad guy. That actor (Jamie Bell?) was even retained for the Wolverine film. Then F4 bombed so they revised their plan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

greatn posted:

Gambit is awesome he'll be all like " I'm charging you with assault and battery monami" and throw a charged up saltshaker and battery at the bad guy.

And the bad guy will have him on the ropes at the end and be like "I'm gonna make you PAY!" and then Gambit will say "I'll charge it" and then the bad guy loving EXPLODES.

In an alternate universe this movie was made in the late 90s, starred Jean-Claude Van Damme, and got the ball rolling instead of Blade.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lobok posted:

In an alternate universe this movie was made in the late 90s, starred Jean-Claude Van Damme, and got the ball rolling instead of Blade.

My favorite Van Damme movie is Hard Target, a John Woo-directed riff on "The Most Dangerous Game," set in New Orleans, with Van Damme in a trench coat with a mullet, playing a character named "Chance Boudreaux" and doing a bad Cajun accent. The bad guys are played by Lance Henricksen and Arnold Vosloo. It is violent and awesome as hell.

Wilford Brimley plays Van Damme's drunken Cajun uncle, who rides a horse and shoots dudes with flaming arrows.

It's the best Gambit film that will ever exist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's me, I'm the one pounding Fox's door demanding the Gambit movie. I like Gambit :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Gambit is like one of the top 5 most popular X-men of all time. He may no longer be cool to most of us, but people who stopped reading comics in 2001 still remember him as "almost as cool as Wolverine". Just like how Venom is still considered one of the coolest villains of all time if you ask a general audience.

This is totally true. I have a few acquaintances, as well as students where I work who find out I'm into comics, and they always ask me what's going on with:

Gambit
Cable
Bishop
Venom
Carnage
Ghost Rider
Spawn

And they used to ask about Deadpool too, but now everyone is a huge Deadpool fan (even people who don't seem to be into comics at all) and owns at least one Deadpool T-shirt.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If I were you, I'd make up the most ridiculous bullshit about Spawn to see if they buy it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Roth posted:

If I were you, I'd make up the most ridiculous bullshit about Spawn to see if they buy it.

My guiltiest comic pleasure is Savage Dragon, and I could explain all sorts of crazy (and completely accurate) stuff about the first 200 or so issues (long after it stopped being even semi-popular), but nobody will ever ask me about it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Supposedly Channing Tatum has signed with WB for a DCEU film. Is Fix still pretending he'll be Gambit?

Hal or Shazam

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

In some alternate universe there is a Gambit/Wolverine movie starring JCVD and Danzig.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Really? But Cable is already right there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Really? But Cable is already right there.

Wasn't Bishop created because they wanted to keep Cable "special" and not over expose him?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend who named his kid after Gambit. He calls him Remmy. I pretend it's a Sliders reference to be a dick.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My guiltiest comic pleasure is Savage Dragon, and I could explain all sorts of crazy (and completely accurate) stuff about the first 200 or so issues (long after it stopped being even semi-popular), but nobody will ever ask me about it.

Did they continue to acknowledge anything from when they shared a universe with TMNT after they no longer did?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My favorite Van Damme movie is Hard Target, a John Woo-directed riff on "The Most Dangerous Game," set in New Orleans, with Van Damme in a trench coat with a mullet, playing a character named "Chance Boudreaux" and doing a bad Cajun accent. The bad guys are played by Lance Henricksen and Arnold Vosloo. It is violent and awesome as hell.

Wilford Brimley plays Van Damme's drunken Cajun uncle, who rides a horse and shoots dudes with flaming arrows.

It's the best Gambit film that will ever exist.

Oh, yeah, great movie.

It has a scene where Van Damme punches out a rattlesnake then pulls its rattle off with his teeth.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Light Gun Man posted:

I have a friend who named his kid after Gambit. He calls him Remmy. I pretend it's a Sliders reference to be a dick.

Did they continue to acknowledge anything from when they shared a universe with TMNT after they no longer did?

Erik was trying to get the Turtles back for issue 222, since they'd appeared in issues 2 and 22, but getting the rights approved through either Eastman or Laird, I can't remember which one, was such a headache he stopped caring.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retardog posted:

Erik was trying to get the Turtles back for issue 222, since they'd appeared in issues 2 and 22, but getting the rights approved through either Eastman or Laird, I can't remember which one, was such a headache he stopped caring.

Do Eastman and Laird still hate each other?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Retardog posted:

That's kind of a great idea, too bad it didn't go through.

Rhyno posted:

Do Eastman and Laird still hate each other?

I think they've done some mild collaborations or appearances in the semi recent past? I forget. Eastman is working on IDW TMNT now and Laird is still in "I am done with TMNT forever, probably" mode far as I know.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't Bishop created because they wanted to keep Cable "special" and not over expose him?

That backfired spectacularly since it took until my mid-twenties for me to remember they're supposed to be different characters.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

That backfired spectacularly since it took until my mid-twenties for me to remember they're supposed to be different characters.

Racist

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw a commercial for the Lego Batman Movie showing that mutherfuckin Condiment King is going to be in it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Saw a commercial for the Lego Batman Movie showing that mutherfuckin Condiment King is going to be in it.

Best part of that ad is showing all of the ridiculous villains that are going to be in the movie and going "yes, these are actual Batman villains".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Remember when y'all were bagging on the Lego Batman writer being up for writing/directing The Flash? We should have been so lucky.

Robin's costume being a modified Rasta Batman suit is maybe the best gag anyone's thought of in the entire history of comedy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 17, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Remember when y'all were bagging on the Lego Batman writer being up for writing/directing The Flash? We should have been so lucky.

Robin's costume being a modified Rasta Batman suit is maybe the best gag anyone's thought of in the entire history of comedy.

Don't include me in that contraction of "you all". Lego Batman has sounded like the best WB movie idea in a long time.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Best DC movie since Steel!" - SomethingAwful.com

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Billy Dee Williams is playing Harvey Dent/Two-Face. That alone shows a level of self awareness and pointing and laughing at themselves that I didn't think DC was capable of

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Inkspot posted:

"Best DC movie since Steel!" - SomethingAwful.com

You laugh, but it's true.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wait, who was bagging on Lego Batman, at any point? The only thing that gave me pause was the Batgirl stuff, and even that is like "Let's wait and see how bad it is".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know if it's been revealed yet, but if you wanted to know what Ego looks like in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, it has been spoiled in Pop Vinyl form:
http://popvinyls.com/2017/01/17/ego-joins-funko-guardians-galaxy-ranks/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IUG posted:

I don't know if it's been revealed yet, but if you wanted to know what Ego looks like in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, it has been spoiled in Pop Vinyl form:
http://popvinyls.com/2017/01/17/ego-joins-funko-guardians-galaxy-ranks/

Ouch, really embarrassing. Funko seems to have put some of their Jorah Mormont pops into Ego boxes.

Hope they notice the error before release.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Funko model doesn't allow for much variety of human body shapes, let alone a character being a planet. Kurt Russell will be in human form for a lot of the film I assume, kind of like an avatar form of his regular planet self that will show up at some point. Kind of like how Zeus would transform into all kinds of things to have sex with people except in this case imagine it wasn't Zeus doing that but Mt. Olympus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Weird. It looks like Kurt Russell with a beard.

Wonder if that was intentional?

• Locked thread