Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

TL posted:

It’s amazing how in ever episode of the Gauntlet that once Jonah gets pulled into the opening he gains thirty pounds and his hair gets longer.
Repeat to yourself: those aren't boxing gloves. They're his hands.

Wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Repeat to yourself: those aren't boxing gloves. They're his hands.

Wait.

Tom: Oh, for God's sake, Joel! Gypsy's not real! You made her up in the first season!
Joel: Oh, hello, Gypsy. You've filled out nicely.
Crow: *weirded out*

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Tom: Oh, for God's sake, Joel! Gypsy's not real! You made her up in the first season!
Joel: Oh, hello, Gypsy. You've filled out nicely.
Crow: *weirded out*
Please explain. I don't get it. :(

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I lost it in Killer Fish when one of the characters yells "Paul!" and they riff "Your father is in great danger!".

I was hoping for, "Paul is not Paulll anymooore!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Please explain. I don't get it. :(

It's just a Teen Girl Squad joke

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
listen to crow(?) riffing "paul, you made it out alive! just as i expected!!" in cry wilderness and try not to hear a perfect strong bad voice

wit
Jul 26, 2011

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

listen to crow(?) riffing "paul, you made it out alive! just as i expected!!" in cry wilderness and try not to hear a perfect strong bad voice

I love that movie now. It couldn't be riffed on during it, but seriously, he ran across america to go tell him? Its like ET getting in the spaceship, then flying back when he's in school to say "elliot, your dad is on mars, it needs some kind of intervention of an ugly candy shilling alien. Go steal a rocket, I'll meet you there in a month, its kickin off."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

wit posted:

I love that movie now. It couldn't be riffed on during it, but seriously, he ran across america to go tell him? Its like ET getting in the spaceship, then flying back when he's in school to say "elliot, your dad is on mars, it needs some kind of intervention of an ugly candy shilling alien. Go steal a rocket, I'll meet you there in a month, its kickin off."

I mean was that even Bigfoot or like...Bigfoot's ghost?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The curmudgeonly Principal who's won over by magic at the end of the movie feels like he's coming from an entirely different film, it owns.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

I mean was that even Bigfoot or like...Bigfoot's ghost?

I assumed Bigfoot teleported there.

I'm oddly okay with Bigfoot teleporting. It's his ability to speak that weirds me the hell out.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Watched Lords of the Deep last night and I cannot believe this turd came out in 1989.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Someone should tell slashfilm his name is not Jonah Hill.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

gregday posted:

Watched Lords of the Deep last night and I cannot believe this turd came out in 1989.

I love how they clearly got the costumes for the movie at the local mall. They got matching track suits from JC Penny and then went to things engraved to get the name tags.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm still vaguely in denial that Hobgoblins wasn't made in 1983

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LividLiquid posted:

Even the people who work on the loving show meticulously script their material beforehand, because off-the-cuff riffing is like, twenty irritating duds to every one decent chuckle.

Holy poo poo, nobody paid fourteen loving dollars to hear your hot take.

My local theater has a screening every week dedicated to this, where these sorts of movies are played (several that have been riffed in the past have shown up, and I saw The Day Time Ends there earlier in the year) and it is often pretty bad, but almost worth it for the one or two good jokes that come from it.

It also only costs $2 ($1 for supporting members), so, that sort of changes the equation.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

Even the people who work on the loving show meticulously script their material beforehand, because off-the-cuff riffing is like, twenty irritating duds to every one decent chuckle.

Holy poo poo, nobody paid fourteen loving dollars to hear your hot take.

When I was younger I used to go to the weekly midnight Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings. And even there, at a show known for random assholes yelling and throwing stuff at the screen, the jokes are largely rehearsed.

Every now and then someone would come up with a killer new joke and it would get added to the canon, but for the most part the cast and the regulars stuck with the lines they knew were funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I once came up with a new RHPS joke and I was super proud of it, though in hindsight it wasn't all that funny

(When Frank walks out of the freezer covered in blood having murdered Eddie, "Frankie wins. Fatality!" Hey it was 1994 alright)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

I once came up with a new RHPS joke and I was super proud of it, though in hindsight it wasn't all that funny

(When Frank walks out of the freezer covered in blood having murdered Eddie, "Frankie wins. Fatality!" Hey it was 1994 alright)

That would have been a pretty good one around the heyday of Mortal Kombat. We were using "His name was Robert Paulson" for that scene for years after Fight Club was popular.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nemo2342 posted:

When I was younger I used to go to the weekly midnight Rocky Horror Picture Show screenings. And even there, at a show known for random assholes yelling and throwing stuff at the screen, the jokes are largely rehearsed.

Every now and then someone would come up with a killer new joke and it would get added to the canon, but for the most part the cast and the regulars stuck with the lines they knew were funny.

My first encounter with RH was in college, and it was neat to see a couple of friends from the Bay area introduce their hometown riffs to the Portland crowd.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Would love to go to a theater showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show someday, that or one for Phantom of The Paradise

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

tankadillo posted:

People who have seen Mac and Me in its original form: did they make significant cuts for the MST3K version, or was the editing really that choppy? It felt like the whole thing just bounced from one scene to the next with no attempt at transitions or continuity.

I got that feeling too. During the escape at the mall, a girl shows up driving the van, whom I guess is supposed to be the older brothers girlfriend? And I swore we'd never seen her before in the movie.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SolarFire2 posted:

I got that feeling too. During the escape at the mall, a girl shows up driving the van, whom I guess is supposed to be the older brothers girlfriend? And I swore we'd never seen her before in the movie.

That was the younger girl's older sister.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drrockso20 posted:

Would love to go to a theater showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show someday, that or one for Phantom of The Paradise

It's really fun unless your area has a bad group of fans. RHPS is a land of contrasts. Some places I've lived, they've been really cool chill people who all hosed each other, other places I've lived, they were basically just the same people as the local goth scene with all the terrible drama and crazy people that implies

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We were watching Kingdom of the Spiders and I said when Shatner is taking a car "William Shatner was a car thief". My friends thought it was funny because we all loved Wesley WIllis.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I was really expecting to not like the Atlantic Rim episode, but of this season it's the episode that stands out the most to me.

The love triangle subplot is absolutely bonkers, but it's really not that incompetently done. There are just a lot of bizarre decisions. And then it just ends with no resolution at all.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

We were watching Kingdom of the Spiders and I said when Shatner is taking a car "William Shatner was a car thief". My friends thought it was funny because we all loved Wesley WIllis.

Was going to say that would be good Riff fodder, but Mike and the gang already did it.

The gauntlet almost done! Took me a while to finish Killer Fish, but I liked it. Something about 70's movies just go over perfectly.

Struggling with Ator. It has to live up to Cave Dwellers, and while the riffs are good, there is always Cave Dwellers in the back of my head. Also, drat, the creep factor is high.

Bad opinion: I would be okay with Crow and Servo escaping, then Growler and Gypsy taking over their duties. Or Gypsy and Waiverly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Failson posted:

Bad opinion: I would be okay with Crow and Servo escaping, then Growler and Gypsy taking over their duties. Or Gypsy and Waiverly.

I don't think I'd mind if they switched to another bot for awhile when the cast is about to switch over, but I also think that Crow could very easily be voiced by a woman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

I don't think I'd mind if they switched to another bot for awhile when the cast is about to switch over, but I also think that Crow could very easily be voiced by a woman.

At times its easy to imagine he is, especially when Trace was voicing him

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

At times its easy to imagine he is, especially when Trace was voicing him

Whoever voiced him for the most recent tour, I started getting him mixed up with Rebecca during the host segments, but it still sounded Crow-y, which is what gave me the idea. And yeah, early Trace especially.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Failson posted:

Was going to say that would be good Riff fodder, but Mike and the gang already did it.

It's pretty funny, too. Shatner is at his most loathsome lothario-ist.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bicyclops posted:

In a KTMA episode (Hangar 18), Crow briefly WAS a woman (although the voice actor didn't change).

While doing maintenance on his RAM chips, Joel "recovered" Crow's first memory, which was Joel telling him that CROW = Cybernetic Remotely Operated Woman. This revelation broke Crow's brain (he started worrying about the dishes and needing to watch Thirtysomething) until Joel revealed it was just a joke. In fact, Joel had actually created Crow for the purpose of pulling that prank. To which Crow responded: "So my life has been one big setup for a punchline? Boy, I feel like Morey Amsterdam."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of Crow, or Crows, on Bill Corbett's Funhouse podcast he interviews Trace and it's fascinating to hear him talk about our cow-tow puppet show. I'd forgotten Tom Servo used to be 'Beeper' and just beeped.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of Crow, or Crows, on Bill Corbett's Funhouse podcast he interviews Trace and it's fascinating to hear him talk about our cow-tow puppet show. I'd forgotten Tom Servo used to be 'Beeper' and just beeped.

Beeper is gone after the pilot and Tom is in his place in the firsts full episode, so it really wasn’t much of a transition. Amusingly though, J. Elvis voices Crow in the first KTMA ep because apparently Trace couldn’t be there for the filming.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nemo2342 posted:

:same:.

What's awesome and weird about Rocky is that you can go to a midnighter in Seattle one week and a midnighter in New York the next week and a lot of the jokes are the same. It's like "hoverboards were real, but parents sued so they wouldn't be released."

We all heard it and it spread, and it happened pre-internet, which is so loving bizarre.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

remusclaw posted:

Beeper is gone after the pilot and Tom is in his place in the firsts full episode, so it really wasn’t much of a transition. Amusingly though, J. Elvis voices Crow in the first KTMA ep because apparently Trace couldn’t be there for the filming.

Yeah, people are in and out during KTMA all the time. I think Joel's by himself in one episode, which shows why multiple riffers is the norm.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, people are in and out during KTMA all the time. I think Joel's by himself in one episode, which shows why multiple riffers is the norm.

There’s also an episode with Servo and Crow but no Joel. IIRC the story they came up with is the Bots locked Joel out of the ship. Everyone seemed to treat the show as a very casual gig that first season.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

TL posted:

There’s also an episode with Servo and Crow but no Joel. IIRC the story they came up with is the Bots locked Joel out of the ship. Everyone seemed to treat the show as a very casual gig that first season.

They had a budget of like 250 bucks an episode. So everyone pretty much had day jobs which is why people are missing in episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, from what I've seen the KTMA episodes are very prototypical, also since all the riffs were ad-libbed back then it would sometimes result in long stretches of silence during parts of the movie (something that would continue on into the early half of the first season). Honestly I wouldn't be too sad if those episodes never saw the light of day again.

On another topic, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet but how was Season 12 in comparison to the first Netflix attempt?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larryb posted:

On another topic, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet but how was Season 12 in comparison to the first Netflix attempt?

It's pretty nice! :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen the KTMA episodes are very prototypical, also since all the riffs were ad-libbed back then it would sometimes result in long stretches of silence during parts of the movie (something that would continue on into the early half of the first season). Honestly I wouldn't be too sad if those episodes never saw the light of day again.

In that podcast with Bill, Trace calls it a 'pilot season' as opposed to a pilot episode. Lot of kinks being worked out.

It's also funny that while Trace has a lot of fond memories of the show he also absolutely does not remember specific sketches (and why should he, because there's a ton of them) like for example why there came to be a scene of he and Frank dressed as their favorite 70's relief pitchers. Clearly Trace knows at some point he did dress as Rollie Fingers, but other than that it's a mystery to him. Sadly this means he also doesn't remember Frank's amazing Tug McGraw impression.