Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

extremely odd & weird question but for any of you who are O365/Teams admins (and I am not looking for any advice on my situation as it's personal and I'm intentionally staying vague) - is it possible to block someone on enterprise Teams somehow?

No but I did mute and archive a chat from a particular user so I will never see his DMs again. He should've been fired for sending me abusive messages, but oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

Gonna need a hell of a lot more than "probably" before I suggest we swap from Snowflake to anything else

If you're in the situation where there is anything an internet stranger can say to you to make you suggest changing out your big-name datalake for a mystery box because they don't want to doxx themselves, you are already looking for an excuse to dump it.

Edit: I mean, if you really want to talk shop over PMs or a Zoom call about what you're trying to do, I'm happy to rubber duck for you, but this is the shitposting thread.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 10, 2023

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

If you're in the situation where there is anything an internet stranger can say to you to make you suggest changing out your big-name datalake for a mystery box because they don't want to doxx themselves, you are already looking for an excuse to dump it.

Edit: I mean, if you really want to talk shop over PMs or a Zoom call about what you're trying to do, I'm happy to rubber duck for you, but this is the shitposting thread.

hahaha, yeah, im just a lowly BI dev shitposting about wanting a solution to a problem. We arent going to be swapping away from snowflake anytime soon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NPR Journalizard posted:

hahaha, yeah, im just a lowly BI dev shitposting about wanting a solution to a problem. We arent going to be swapping away from snowflake anytime soon.

I hate to say it, but ODBC/JDBC drivers are kind of the defacto way to handle BI data access. SQL is a jumbled mess and there is no real standard for anything. I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to get a JSON object through some kind of REST interface, but then you have to deal with pagination (more than normal, I mean). I have no idea what Snowflake's GraphQL capabilities are, but if you're using Grafana or Tableau, might want to look into it. If you're using PowerBI, RIP and I'm sorry.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

KillHour posted:

hey hey hey, this is more than just a shitposting thread, okay

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

cum jabbar posted:

No but I did mute and archive a chat from a particular user so I will never see his DMs again. He should've been fired for sending me abusive messages, but oh well

I'm not gonna say its your fault, but I uh want to say that your name might be the problem.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

hey hey hey, this is more than just a shitposting thread, okay

You're right, it's the shitposting thread.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

KillHour posted:

If you're using PowerBI, RIP and I'm sorry.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

jaegerx posted:

I'm not gonna say its your fault, but I uh want to say that your name might be the problem.

not the right time imo

NPR Journalizard posted:

my advice is burn down anything still standing on an annual basis and try again. works for IRL forests, why not AD forests?

FAANGs, i am available for consulting

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Jet fuel can’t melt AD trees

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

jaegerx posted:

Figured out my signature.

http://www.asciiribbon.org/

This takes me back to the days where you logged into a BBS and they had the most beautiful scrolling ascii art.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

tehinternet posted:

Jet fuel can’t melt AD trees

:golfclap:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

jaegerx posted:

Did you miss last week when I tried to bring back finger?

Years ago I did a /finger on someone in IRC -- god knows why, no one ever has/had useful information in there -- and they got very upset and complained vocally that I was "fingering" them, thinking it was somehow obscene.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

A recruiter asked me if I’ve ever done large enterprise system installs that can support 22k users. When the gently caress did 22k become large? Gimme 4 rhel boxes and I got you bro.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

A recruiter asked me if I’ve ever done large enterprise system installs that can support 22k users. When the gently caress did 22k become large? Gimme 4 rhel boxes and I got you bro.

is 22k not considered large in the USA?!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22k is large, jaegerx has skewed perspective

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

The Fool posted:

22k is large, jaegerx has skewed perspective

it's a webapp.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jaegerx posted:

it's a webapp.

you're a webapp

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

you're a webapp

I'm actually openai right now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jaegerx posted:

it's a webapp.

it's large for an org

for a web app though

22k users is an off-season lull for us, our flagship app has 1.3 million concurrent users at peak last year

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

no, my penis is bigger

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

no, my penis is bigger

And yet you won't give me your phone number so I can show you mine.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I wish my penis was smaller or non-existent personally but good for you IE

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why would he need yours? He made it clear his is bigger.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

Why would he need yours? He made it clear his is bigger.

Are you just posting to get top 15? IE's metrics for responses has ruined us all.

e: rackspace had that poo poo, you got points for closing tickets. Private comments were worth .5 points, so we'd just spam that poo poo in internal tickets. gently caress THE SYSTEM!!!!

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 11, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

I wish my penis was smaller or non-existent personally but good for you IE

Have you tried working for a small startup? I hear a handful of users would do you wonders.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

e: rackspace had that poo poo, you got points for closing tickets. Private comments were worth .5 points, so we'd just spam that poo poo in internal tickets. gently caress THE SYSTEM!!!!

Aren't you the one bragging about number of users???

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Aren't you the one bragging about number of users???

I wasnt bragging, 22k users on a webapp is 4 servers and a cdn with a s3 bucket.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I'm pretty sure my rear end in a top hat coworker is being fast tracked to be an it manager and I will put in my notice immediately if this happens. I have never met anyone with less social skills or organizational ability.

(My boss's title became senior it manager today, she was in some management training thing earlier this week, and we keep discussing potentially brining in a third helpdesk person.)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

I'm pretty sure my rear end in a top hat coworker is being fast tracked to be an it manager and I will put in my notice immediately if this happens. I have never met anyone with less social skills or organizational ability.

(My boss's title became senior it manager today, she was in some management training thing earlier this week, and we keep discussing potentially brining in a third helpdesk person.)

my ears are burning.....

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Won't you be surprised when they offer it to you instead.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Are you just posting to get top 15? IE's metrics for responses has ruined us all.

Managers will never stop reinventing "pay per bug resolved." Or, as Skipp and Spector put it, "Santayana be damned; those who learned from history are doomed to repeat it anyway, because of all the other idiots who don't."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I just took a test for work, reviewing general Linux skills. They use it to gate access to production servers. Part of the test is fixing some httpd config and all that. The sample page they configured includes a few Something Awful specific inside jokes. It's always concerning finding a goon in the wild.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Last year at this time I made $40k/year working for the fed gov as a hydrologist with a 2 hour daily commute.

Today I rocked an interviewed for a position that pays $125k/year fully remote.

Insane how quickly life can change

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hell yes. Get that money.

I wish a fed gov hydrologist was making $125k/year, but that's besides the point. Happy for you, that's some life-changing poo poo.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Hell yes. Get that money.

I wish a fed gov hydrologist was making $125k/year, but that's besides the point. Happy for you, that's some life-changing poo poo.

In terms of “making the world a better place” the hydrologist role definitely wins out.

That don’t pay the bill though, no sir/ma’am

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hear you completely. I've never worked for a company that I felt good about.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

App13 posted:

In terms of “making the world a better place” the hydrologist role definitely wins out.

That don’t pay the bill though, no sir/ma’am

:hai:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Where would I get started reading if I wanted to replace our in-house 20 year old fake Change Management system with a new ServiceNow implementation from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread recommending a vertical mouse was such a great call. My hand has been fantastic for 2 weeks now.