Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

Into the Breach is a puzzle game with a tactics game skin. There's almost nothing tactical about it, it's pure deterministic puzzling out the objectively correct action to take. If you think it's the best entry in the tactics game genre it's highly likely that you don't actually like tactical RPGs.

Almost all Tactical RPGs work in that exact same way practically-speaking The only difference is that it's hidden from you until you've reverse-engineered how the AI works. Oh sure, they are not fully deterministic like ItB (which is only deterministic on a single-turn basis anyways), but close enough as far as I'm concerned.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ITB does have incomplete information though. You can see the attacks enemies are making this upcoming turn so it feels "deterministic" but in actuality the variation is just "what are they going to do the turn after that".
There are a lot of situations where it's like "well I can do X which will work to counter the predicted move that I can see, but then if that other enemy does Y next turn then my mech will be out of position to counter that attack."

Like if you just treat it as a pure deterministic puzzle where you only ever look at the current turn and never think ahead you'll struggle a lot on the harder difficulties.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 29, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Aramis posted:

Almost all Tactical RPGs work in that exact same way. The only difference is that it's hidden from you until you've reverse-engineered how the AI works. Oh sure, they are not fully deterministic like ItB (which is only deterministic on a single-turn basis anyways), but close enough as far as I'm concerned.
This is true of ITB but not of good strategy games.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Aramis posted:

Tactics game tend to cause these kind of reactions because whenever you get your rear end handed to you, you can almost always identify what you could have done to prevent it, and odds are pretty good that you seriously considered doing that very thing. As you get better at anticipating enemy movements, they become a lot more palatable. The "see an enemy's movement range" feature is invariably your best friend.

Into the Breach is easily the best entry in the genre gameplay-wise by a country mile, if only because it goes out of its way to mitigate that via a number of different subtle mechanics. Runs are fairly brisk, you are given a mulligan per level, and the curveballs the game throws at you are rarely your own fault. But most importantly, you generally can see that you are about to gently caress up before fully committing to an action.

Into the Breach is a puzzle game pretending to be a tactics game. For a game to qualify as tactics game every turn must be at least 20 minutes of movement management, and after combat like 30 minutes of equipment/skill management.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 29, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

A "tactical RPG" is just a turn-based RPG but you also choose where to move your dudes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

ITB does have incomplete information though. You can see the attacks enemies are making this upcoming turn so it feels "deterministic" but in actuality the variation is just "what are they going to do the turn after that".
There are a lot of situations where it's like "well I can do X which will work to counter the predicted move that I can see, but then if that other enemy does Y next turn then my mech will be out of position to counter that attack."

Like if you just treat it as a pure deterministic puzzle where you only ever look at the current turn and never think ahead you'll struggle a lot on the harder difficulties.
The problem is you know the exact outcome of all of the potential moves the enemy can make ahead of time. You know exactly what will happen if the AI chooses option A on the next turn as opposed to Option B, so you never have to actually put thought and prediction into what move you make. You know that whether it chooses Option A or Option B on a future turn, action xyz is the objectively correct thing for you to do right now because it's the one that ensures beyond a shadow of a doubt that your unit doesn't die. This is true even on its hardest difficulty. There's no sense of variance or unpredictability in what the AI does so you never need to implement a strategy. Playing it like a strategy game feels like playing with cheats enabled, or like playing one of those mobile games with a hand-holdy tutorial showing you exactly what moves to make every turn.

An actual good tactical RPG like e.g. Battle Brothers is fundamentally different in that not only are the enemy actions unpredictable/permutable but so are the results of those actions. You know that a specific enemy unit will be able to reach your archer next turn if you don't move your shieldman into a specific position but then you weigh the benefits of taking that risk against other possible actions. Maybe that orc will decapitate your archer in a single swing, maybe it won't. Is that risk worth taking a chance at the enemy archer as opposed to blocking the orc's movement? You have to weigh that risk against other possible risks, and you can't know ahead of time exactly what will happen on that next turn.

Predetermined outcomes are the antithesis of a good strategy game imo. They're about a constant tug-of-war and tension between success and failure, where ITB is just making rote decisions about how to achieve victory. Not saying it's a bad game and I can say why people like it but in the context of actual strategy games it's a predictable snooze.

e: And for the record FFT and Fire Emblem wouldn't even be on my list of top 10 strategy/tactics games/series. They're fantasy soldier pokemon games and that's cool and fun but there's very little strategy in them because of how predictable everything is. Fire Emblem is similarly to ITB a puzzle game about figuring out the correct route to take through a mission in order to not lose anyone, and I like it, but it's not a strategy game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 29, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NikkolasKing posted:

But stuff like Fire Emblem or FF Tactics are entirely different beasts. I've heard people explaining the "math" of FF Tactics battles and I am like...okay, I just won't be playing that, then. I'll stick to my turn-based or ostensibly turn-based ATB JRPGs, thank you very much. Similarly, I was very relieved when the SMT Devil Survivor games just turned out to be turn-based battles with a field element. That was fine.

the only math you need to know about final fantasy tactics is that barehanded attacks with the special monk passive use the formula [phys attack^2] * [2*(brave/100)] (possibly [3*(br/100)])

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did they ever figure out how to do an FFT type tactics game but against other players? Could that be fun or are crafted mission puzzles designed to be beaten fundamental to the genre?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Khanstant posted:

Did they ever figure out how to do an FFT type tactics game but against other players? Could that be fun or are crafted mission puzzles designed to be beaten fundamental to the genre?

Dofus or Wakfu were pvp games weren't they? It's been ages though, could be wrong

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

jokes posted:

FFTA, FFTA2, and FFT are all 3 extremely different games and each of them are excellent in their own way.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vadun posted:

Dofus or Wakfu were pvp games weren't they? It's been ages though, could be wrong

Duelyst is a tactics/card game. I remember there was another online tactics/card game ages a go but I don't remember it's called.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 29, 2023

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FFT and ITB are not strategy or puzzle games, they're action platformers in revserse.

The top three strategy RPGs are Puzzle Fighters, Breath of Fire II, and RoboCop for the Game Boy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can get away with playing ITB as a move-to-move puzzle on lower difficulties, but at higher difficulties positioning your units for future turns to avoid being put in "unsolvable puzzles" becomes necessary. At that point it's definitely a strategic game (although maybe more like chess than your traditional hidden information TBS games).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

"Thinking ahead" does not make something not-a-puzzle-game. That's a core mechanic of puzzle games.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This is my hill, it was made for me.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

dang I thought I was in the roguelike thread for a second

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
none of the games being discussed use vi-keys for directional movement so they can't possibly be roguelikes

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.theouterhaven.net/2021/10/diablo-ii-resurrected-review-ps4/

quote:

Just about everyone knows about Diablo II. It was the original hardcore rogue-like game long before the concept of rouge-like games even existed

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

:hmmyes:

this person is the cheif enfrocer of what is and isn't a rougelike

also Diablo II sucked

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

but what about the most important question:

is rogue a roguelike?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

lol "New Jerusalem". Talos Principle come on just give me puzzles thanks.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 29, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

repiv posted:

but what about the most important question:

is rogue a roguelike?

No metaprogression, no deckbuilding, no survival elements... don't think so, Tim.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
ITB is like Solitaire and FFT is like MTG Limited. Breaking ITB is figuring out that the 8 of Clubs is drawing next; breaking FFT is Channel>Fireball

Also the best Strategy RPG was Nobunaga's Ambition for the Gameboy (for realz) :colbert:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I played panzercorps 2 with the luck turned off and i didn't feel like it diminished from the strategy- the opponent's actions tended to provide enough chaos to keep the situation dynamic, though in that game there are a lot of both friendly and enemy units on either end compared to something like Into the Breach.

But then again, i'm not into the puzzle characterization of some tactics games in the first place.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gotham Knights is decent but there is no reason that it should not be running at 60 fps on console.

Arkham Origins has some of the best boss fights in the whole series and definitely worthy of the Arkham name.

The remake of Resident Evil 3 was more enjoyable for me than the original and it succeeded in actually making me like the characters. I really want them to put Carlos in more stuff now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Diablo 2 isn't even the first roguelike Diablo. Diablo 1 had permadeath

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jokes posted:

Diablo 2 isn't even the first roguelike Diablo. Diablo 1 had permadeath

It always makes me laugh just how completely forgotten the first diablo became. For so many people, the series started with 2.

This is especially funny because buying the diablo 2 + lod combo pack also gave you the original with it, so it's not like the first game had a small reach or anything.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Devil Survivor 1 is the best tactics game, followed by Devil Survivor 2. They're also the best Persona games.

Space Kablooey posted:

I really dislike the "lol it's subject 101" take because it might well be someone's first contact with that subject, and i think that's pretty great. :shobon:

On the other hand an FPS that was philosophy 712 or something would probably be pretty amusing.

George
Nov 27, 2004

The Moon Monster posted:

Devil Survivor 1 is the best tactics game, followed by Devil Survivor 2. They're also the best Persona games.

On the other hand an FPS that was philosophy 712 or something would probably be pretty amusing.

That's Serious Sam, same devs as Talos Principle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why did the term roguelike stick around when the similarly terrible “doom clone” died an ignoble death in the late 90’s/early 2000’s?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

It always makes me laugh just how completely forgotten the first diablo became. For so many people, the series started with 2.

This is especially funny because buying the diablo 2 + lod combo pack also gave you the original with it, so it's not like the first game had a small reach or anything.

They're different genres. D2 is the start of the loot treadmill cookie clicker games and Diablo is an old spooky dungeon crawl to hell.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought meta progression makes it a roguelite, no?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

credburn posted:

I thought meta progression makes it a roguelite, no?

Roguelite is a game that isn't a roguelike but still wants to attach the word "rogue" to itself for some reason. They pretty much all have meta progression though, yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you can go on a wiki and it tells u what a potion does, it's a roguelite. If you go on a wiki and it tells you a bunch of stuff you can do to relatively safely test what the potion isn't, it's a roguelike.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Khanstant posted:

If you can go on a wiki and it tells u what a potion does, it's a roguelite. If you go on a wiki and it tells you a bunch of stuff you can do to relatively safely test what the potion isn't, it's a roguelike.

:hmmyes:

George
Nov 27, 2004

Wanna see a modern AAA reboot of Rogue.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

George posted:

Wanna see a modern AAA reboot of Rogue.

Just think how sharply a modern monitor could display those ascii characters.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i liked Dungeons of Dredmor a lot

too bad about Clockwork Empires, though, I had high hopes for that but it just didn't turn out that great and killed that company dead

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 30, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Roguelikes are a cool genre except Caves of Qud reached the zenith and no other roguelike will ever come close to what it achieves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MrQwerty posted:

i liked Dungeons of Dredmor a lot

too bad about Clockwork Empires, though, I had high hopes for that but it just didn't turn out that great and killed that company dead

Dredmor was so good, it nailed being easy to pick up but still having a lot of depth