Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

like sure, Ryan slashed public assistance and wanted to kill social security, but daring to disrespect a priest is the one thing ordinary workers just won't tolerate!!!!1

the "decorum" meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

Finally, a plausible reason she wouldn't remember writing those posts

:perfect:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

little munchkin posted:

the "decorum" meme

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/990347546395578368

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's ok guys, he followed all the government regulations on torturing animals and leaving them to die.

Because the hacking story is impossible to defend. The only thing they can do is either insist that she really was hacked, which makes them look even more insane, or just not acknowledge it at all until the whole thing goes away.

you must be a level 43 gaslighter in order to proceed in the democratic primary

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Modus Pwnens posted:

Finally, a plausible reason she wouldn't remember writing those posts

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

reactionary mind should be required reading for he suck zone/cspam, along with listen liberal

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

reactionary mind should be required reading for he suck zone/cspam, along with listen liberal

In order to get my Liberal parents to understand where I was coming from I bought my dad that for Christmas, along with a dvd of the Horse soldiers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Reactionary Mind is an essential reminder that it's conservatism which is informed by liberalism and not the other way around. That's why it's so remarkable now that liberals are adopting Republican trappings, because they don't understand why they keep losing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the followup is also good and illuminating:

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/990348267367124992

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Reactionary Mind is an essential reminder that it's conservatism which is informed by liberalism and not the other way around. That's why it's so remarkable now that liberals are adopting Republican trappings, because they don't understand why they keep losing.

It's because the lanyard class things like rigging primaries to make sure candidates like former GOP military vet is a good plan especially because it appeases their donors.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

in agreement with bari, what is going on

https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/990331312195203072

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

which is amazing when they claim themselves victims

therefore if liberals claim themselves victims, they play something right out of the right wing textbook as JAR is doing, therefore liberalism starts to become indistinguishable from conservatism because they work within this frame of capitalism since they are largely center-right in approach to policies and how they appease so easily to conservatives.

If they enable, they're no different, and their bullying comes from passive aggressive delegitimization and toxic smear campaigns. Examples like Hillary starting the birther movement, JAR excoriating Bernie Sanders on merits other than policies which are ad hominems, the list goes on. They excuse it with "thats politics, thats how its supposed to be." when clearly things could stand to be a lot better if one would defer to policy making merits instead of dirty games.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

really queer Christmas posted:

gently caress this guy holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/990352155495280640

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

therefore if liberals claim themselves victims, they play something right out of the right wing textbook as JAR is doing, therefore liberalism starts to become indistinguishable from conservatism because they work within this frame of capitalism since they are largely center-right in approach to policies and how they appease so easily to conservatives.

You've got this backwards. Conservatives play the victim because they think they lost civil rights and the culture war, because minorities played the victim card and garnered enough sympathy to be mainstreamed. Being unfairly treated is presumed to carry a moral authority, but civil rights leaders of the past derived their moral authority from higher principles of justice, not from the fact that they weren't being guaranteed liberal freedoms. So in the end you have liberals and conservatives pretending to victimhood, without having any real vision of how society ought to be different.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lastgirl posted:

If they enable, they're no different, and their bullying comes from passive aggressive delegitimization and toxic smear campaigns. Examples like Hillary starting the birther movement, JAR excoriating Bernie Sanders on merits other than policies which are ad hominems, the list goes on. They excuse it with "thats politics, thats how its supposed to be." when clearly things could stand to be a lot better if one would defer to policy making merits instead of dirty games.

When they go low, we pretend to go high.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

When they go low, we pretend to go high.

The decorumrats

They would rather have the smug moral high ground than actually win anything

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You've got this backwards. Conservatives play the victim because they think they lost civil rights and the culture war, because minorities played the victim card and garnered enough sympathy to be mainstreamed. Being unfairly treated is presumed to carry a moral authority, but civil rights leaders of the past derived their moral authority from higher principles of justice, not from the fact that they weren't being guaranteed liberal freedoms. So in the end you have liberals and conservatives pretending to victimhood, without having any real vision of how society ought to be different.

Err backwards? I mean what you are saying makes sense but I'm saying that they're indistinguishable now even if the genesis falls squarely with the right wing.

It seems like they sell victimhood rather, in order to appeal to their bases who are the real victims and can identify with it from the impacts of policy making decisions perpetuated by third wayism as a result

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Serf posted:

i just think hawaii should have a football team

i really did think that sports were state-run as a child because that made the most sense (and still does)

we do have state-run sports teams though its just that the players are minors and unpaid

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rand alPaul posted:

My mom only watches MSNBC and she loves Joy Reid and can't understand why I don't like her. When I explained she cut me off with, "you people on the internet hate everyone."

I mean, she's not totally wrong there.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

Err backwards? I mean what you are saying makes sense but I'm saying that they're indistinguishable now even if the genesis falls squarely with the right wing.

It seems like they sell victimhood rather, in order to appeal to their bases who are the real victims and can identify with it from the impacts of policy making decisions perpetuated by third wayism as a result

I mean, you implied it's libs following the conservative lead, but it's the other way around is all. I guess it's not really important who's following who.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I mean, you implied it's libs following the conservative lead, but it's the other way around is all. I guess it's not really important who's following who.

Ah fair enough, ya I mean at this point it is what it is now. I guess I'm thinking about post-escalator liberals following the conservatives' lead, rather than 50 years in the making that is resultant of this toxic culture of passive aggressive victimhood

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I have not watched a single minute of AM Joy in my life, but I'm willing to bet it punches left a hell of a lot less than Joy-Reid-on-twitter. Maddow's obsession with Russia is probably more generally damaging to the MSNBC Liberal mindset than JAR is.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Russian hackers are like the liberal version of SJWs. A minor annoyance blown up into an existential enemy, which is an excuse for never having to do any kind of self-examination.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I have not watched a single minute of AM Joy in my life, but I'm willing to bet it punches left a hell of a lot less than Joy-Reid-on-twitter. Maddow's obsession with Russia is probably more generally damaging to the MSNBC Liberal mindset than JAR is.

yeah russia maddow has easily 4-5x the audience reid has and her show's only marginally more tethered to reality than louise mensch or eric garland these days

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

The Muppets On PCP posted:

yeah russia maddow has easily 4-5x the audience reid has and her show's only marginally more tethered to reality than louise mensch or eric garland these days

dolla dolla bill yall

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Conservatives lack a real intellectual tradition, but the base impulse of the righteousness of domination and oppression that forms its foundation is timeless.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Russian hackers are like the liberal version of SJWs. A minor annoyance blown up into an existential enemy, which is an excuse for never having to do any kind of self-examination.

except that liberals are now apparently complaining about sjws too

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yea, that's the 'callout culture is bad now' turn. They were some of its greatest practitioners, when it came to Bernie Sanders, but the moment it inconveniences them, is the moment they immediately swing right, and buy into 'pc gone mad' rhetoric.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
im pretty sure when i first heard the term SJWs it was from leftists, referring to the extremely online teens of 2010 with no class consciousness or historical perspective but would dive head first into anti-racist rhetoric and embarrass everyone who takes these issues seriously. dont think i saw the RWM pick up on it until years later

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Except it's not a real turn. They're gonna go back to exploiting callout culture as soon as this blows over.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

anime was right posted:

fwiw i think chris matthews should be fired first if anyone

wowthats some strong succ

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
liberalism with conservative characteristics

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

except that liberals are now apparently complaining about sjws too

The left is learning the hard way that certain liberals will cynically use issues of race and gender to shut down inconvenient arguments. It’s been a thing the right’s dealt with for a long time now (and part of the reason they get such a bug up their rear end about sjws) but now that the progressive movement is getting it too people are starting to take the issue more seriously. Which is good because I’m pretty sure the practice has given more credibility to bigots than anything else and it needs to be killed with fire.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Except it's not a real turn. They're gonna go back to exploiting callout culture as soon as this blows over.
I don't expect this alone to force a turn, but a turn is coming, or at least in the works imo. I 💯% expect, that this time next year, there'll be a lot of hand wringing by liberals of 'leftist intolerance' or some such.

Long term, the utility of callout culture to liberals will diminish, as the same process is used against them, and it therefore erodes the previous moral superiority complex that characterises liberalism.

The only way to retake the smugness high ground will be to say that the left took it to far and that's why we have Nazis now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Andrei Dorkovsky posted:

im pretty sure when i first heard the term SJWs it was from leftists, referring to the extremely online teens of 2010 with no class consciousness or historical perspective but would dive head first into anti-racist rhetoric and embarrass everyone who takes these issues seriously. dont think i saw the RWM pick up on it until years later

as with every other criticism of the left / left-adjacent the right-wing co-opted the hell out of it because they'll happily pick up anything that seems to be gaining traction

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's all personally very frustrating for me, because I've always thought callout culture was trash, but precisely because of its liberalism, and precisely because of its usage by social climbers to status signal.

So to see the very same status signallers talk some empty bullshit about how the attacks (on them) are proof that " :) it's time for us all to hold hands and move on, :) together, :) away from callout culture, :) now that it has inconvenienced me :) " leaves me with this deep rooted anger.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rastor posted:

Their brains really are broken now. They can't even recognize their own blog entries. Loved ones and family appear as strangers to them. And all of it, all of it, a Russian conspiracy

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

ok it’s getting funny again

https://twitter.com/mattbinder/status/990396363446906880
https://twitter.com/julie_johnsoned/status/990300842149531653

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

I don't expect this alone to force a turn, but a turn is coming, or at least in the works imo. I 💯% expect, that this time next year, there'll be a lot of hand wringing by liberals of 'leftist intolerance' or some such.

Long term, the utility of callout culture to liberals will diminish, as the same process is used against them, and it therefore erodes the previous moral superiority complex that characterises liberalism.

The only way to retake the smugness high ground will be to say that the left took it to far and that's why we have Nazis now.

The real turn is going to come when they're tired of being criticized for palling around with the David Frums of the world, because Nevertrumpers are on The Team now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm telling you, they're all slowly talking themselves into voting Republican in 2020.

• Locked thread