Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

No further business from either side today, court adjourned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Usual instructions go to the jury and rightfully usual big thanks to kazil for the up-to-the-minute coverage. Thread superstar.

:emptyquote:

Lord Harbor
Apr 17, 2005
Bruce Campbell: You've stolen my heart, but you'll never take my freedom
Nap Ghost

Raymond T. Racing posted:

gonna be interesting to see how they do on cross for this

"You're a liar and don't have actual physical evidence of Trump explicitly ordering you to commit crimes, therefore the jury can't discount the possibility that you did all of this without his knowledge and are just blaming Trump because you're mad."

That's what I think the case will actually come down to, not the talk about how the sex with Stormy went or how worried Trump was about Melania or any of the other gossip. It'll be, does the jury believe that Trump is acting as a mob boss and telling his goons to commit crimes while avoiding putting any of that in writing, or do they buy that there's just enough doubt as to exactly what Trump knew that maybe a bunch of his underlings were working around his back without Trump being fully aware?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Bottom Liner posted:

Surely we can get that rear end in a top hat arrested for spreading fake money and passing it off as real, right?

Is there actually evidence he ever did it? I feel like this comes from the same libertarian edgelord space as the guys who claim to carry around a stack of McD applications to hand out to panhandlers in lieu of money, just self-congratulatory shithead myth-making

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

I don't believe it. It's far more likely all these people like Cohen and Weisselberg are committing crimes that benefit Trump just because they like committing crimes.

Turnip is like Ulysses Grant, just surrounded by malice and incompetents but completely innocent. And he doesn't even drink!

TOTAL EXONERATION

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

kazil posted:

No further business from either side today, court adjourned

and now trump gets to yell about how he is GAGGED and CHOCKED and RIDDEN HARD by the LIBERAL JUDGE

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

inside every man there are two wolves

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Philthy posted:

I used to wonder the same thing, but if you look at these people, they're mostly all morons. The smarter ones eventually get their money, but they gotta do felonies to get it all. It's hilarious how loving dumb these people are.

its this. Nearly everyone in Trump's orbit could best be described as professional idiots. Ignore the fancy educations and prestigious positions, they're all dumb rubes waiting to get scammed

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol he's quoting the guy that showed up with him today
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1790118083312415030

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

kazil posted:

big "IM NOT TOUCHING YOU" energy re: gag order

hope the judge bitch slaps this bitch

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Well if JD Vance says so....

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Buce posted:

i feel like you could catch an infinite number of trump lackies by dangling a shiny prize over a huge, obvious pit full of snakes

Don't be ridiculous! The pit would fill up long before you got even a fraction of the lackies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

big "IM NOT TOUCHING YOU" energy re: gag order

hope the judge bitch slaps this bitch

how do you figure that?

nerox
May 20, 2001

So Cohen's compensation plan as "Personal Attorney to the President" consisted of grifting and charging people for access? :lol:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Randalor posted:

Don't be ridiculous! The pit would fill up long before you got even a fraction of the lackies.

Those poor snakes...

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Still feels like this is going to be tough to convict. It's pretty loving clear what the story is, but we really only have one person saying "I told him about the crimes and he was fine with it" to link the crimes directly to Trump. Cohen has already had jail time for this poo poo show, but it's going to be hard to pin anything on the mob boss.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Accipiter posted:

Usual instructions go to the jury and rightfully usual big thanks to kazil for the up-to-the-minute coverage. Thread superstar.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Lifespan posted:

Still feels like this is going to be tough to convict. It's pretty loving clear what the story is, but we really only have one person saying "I told him about the crimes and he was fine with it" to link the crimes directly to Trump. Cohen has already had jail time for this poo poo show, but it's going to be hard to pin anything on the mob boss.

Prosecution has done a good job of showing that Trump is a micromanager involved in all steps of the business. Only people that can say Trump wasn't at the meeting to discuss the repayment plan are Weisselberg, who is in jail for perjury and almost assuredly won't be testifying, and Trump, who lol if he testifies they have a million things to show he's a liar.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Lifespan posted:

Yeah. Cohen basically going "I'm a spineless husk of a human being that would do literally anything to make daddy trump praise me" seems like something the defence is going to jump on a lot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

kazil posted:

It's a threat to trees with all the crap he's printing out.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

on a side note, i'm available as a consultant or personal attorney for whichever one of you guys makes it big. caro, possibly?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Is there actually evidence he ever did it? I feel like this comes from the same libertarian edgelord space as the guys who claim to carry around a stack of McD applications to hand out to panhandlers in lieu of money, just self-congratulatory shithead myth-making

Even if it's just performance, it demonstrates colossal dickishness on a level that takes the breath away. I mean even thinking the idea up requires a high degree of psychopathy.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol he's pissed
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1790119666200797628

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1790119804990365886

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
That NYTimes/Sienna poll today

quote:

"In a finding that will frustrate Democrats, even as it presents opportunity for Mr. Biden, nearly 20 percent of voters blame him more than they do Mr. Trump for the Supreme Court's decision in 2022 to overturn Roe v. Wade."

I don't know how you fix stupid like that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah. Cohen basically going "I'm a spineless husk of a human being that would do literally anything to make daddy trump praise me" seems like something the defence is going to jump on a lot.

He testified that he wouldn't have done it without Trump's approval. Especially because he wanted to get paid back.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

kazil posted:

He testified that he wouldn't have done it without Trump's approval. Especially because he wanted to get paid back.

The problem is that the hush money is not illegal, it's how it was paid for. Cohen clearly orchestrated that whole thing and clearly he was doing it on Trump's behalf, but you have to show that Trump had knowledge of and approved the whole thing. Cohen is testifying that he laid it out for Trump and Trump was cool with it, but that's the only evidence they have for that connection.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Over the years I’ve been accosted by scammers via phone, internet, email, etc. I’ve always wondered why Americans are targeted by crime rings in India, Russia, China, etc. instead of them preying locally. I thought it’d require a lot less effort than having to find people who can speak English or have technical knowledge to get into Americans’ pockets or businesses and know how to work the local banking systems, etc.

Turns out the reason they prey on us is that we’re deeply loving stupid and you can convince us to jump off a bridge with a piano wire tied around our ballsacks with zero effort!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

kazil posted:

Look maybe this transparently craven scumbag just felt like taking out a loan against his house to pay a lady to not talk about his boss.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

it absolutely is since it probably would say, "hollywood prop money" on a side. either that or he thinks all homeless people are illiterate or something.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

As great as this court case is, we got a big one tomorrow that I’ve been waiting for

[...]

The defendants each face up to a maximum penalty of 11 years in prison, three years of supervised release and a fine of up to $350,000.

DOJ has made it clear that they are asking Judge for maximum jail time and the judge is likely to give it.

2 of the people being sentenced are 74,75 and will likely die in jail if sentenced 11 years

one of the rare opportunities for a modern-day Christian to be martyred for their faith. I wonder how gracefully they'll take it.

speaking of which, when does the guy who smashed a Church of Satan statue go to trial? Last I heard is just "May."

https://www.kcci.com/article/satanic-temple-display-iowa-capitol-vandalism-michael-cassidy-motion-to-dismiss-hate-crime-charges/60249703

quote:

DES MOINES, Iowa —

A Mississippi man charged with a hate crime after destroying a display put up by the Satanic Temple of Iowa wants that charge dismissed.

The display was put up in the Statehouse during the holidays. The Satanic Temple of Iowa says it was meant to symbolize freedom of religion.

A custom statue and other parts of the display were destroyed days after it was put up.

Michael Cassidy argues the Satanic Temple of Iowa is not a real religion and that the hate crime enhancement violates his First Amendment rights.

Prosecutors have offered a deal that would involve Cassidy pleading guilty to fifth-degree criminal mischief. As of right now, Cassidy has not accepted that offer.

His trial is currently set for May.

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 13, 2024

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lifespan posted:

The problem is that the hush money is not illegal, it's how it was paid for. Cohen clearly orchestrated that whole thing and clearly he was doing it on Trump's behalf, but you have to show that Trump had knowledge of and approved the whole thing. Cohen is testifying that he laid it out for Trump and Trump was cool with it, but that's the only evidence they have for that connection.

Isn't 'He said, (s)he said' what a lot of trials like this come down to anyway, and it's just a question of whom the jury believes.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

People are going to think that Biden should have done more, like adding judges or pushing more in federal laws, and these voters believe the best way to get Biden to do this is to not vote so that some orange dictator can get into power and allow more of that insane poo poo to happen.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Lifespan posted:

Trump signed the checks

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's not Biden's fault specifically, but maybe if Dems had actually forced a Antonin Scalia replacement who didn't suck poo poo before Obama left and been more proactive about getting Ginsburg gone before she croaked, we might have a SCOTUS that wouldn't have overturned Roe v Wade right now.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 13, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Sucking on a Werther's Original

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

i know I've said this a lot, but