Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Xovaan posted:

MotoMind owns in real life :hfive:

Anyway here is me in my Aerostich with my Kriega R30. My girlfriend followed me home to check the visibility of the reflective taping on both and apparently I stick out like a sore (glowing) thumb from hundreds of feet away so A+ would highly recommend both

My backpack's compartments contain my waterproof overboots and a set of goretex cold weather gloves for our below-freezing winter nights and the occasional rainstorm. I'm officially set up for commuting! :sun:

Thanks MotoMind for the 'stich recommendation. I wouldn't have believed it otherwise. Old man clothing knows what's up.

Just ordered a Kriega r25 today... its hard commuting with your laptop and all your stuff when you know a little rain might ruin things, not to mention my conventional booksack gets really heavy on my shoulders after an hour or so of riding.

I know the r25 isn't entirely waterproof, but should be good for light showers. I might also pick up a waterproof laptop sleeve just to be extra paranoid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Safety Dance posted:

What's a decent, small tank bag that attaches with straps but gets out of the way pretty quickly for fillups? My tank is plastic, so no magnets.

I love my Wolfman Rainier - that's one of their larger bags, but see what might fit your needs. Maybe the Express?

Made in Colorado which I thought was nice, too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unless you're set on straps for other reasons, I like the bags-connection tank bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3_RE7QEOwc&t=20s

e: The bag in the video is just one of their models, but they're all interchangable with the same locking mechanism.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Collateral Damage posted:

Unless you're set on straps for other reasons, I like the bags-connection tank bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3_RE7QEOwc&t=20s

e: The bag in the video is just one of their models, but they're all interchangable with the same locking mechanism.

Cool, but no love for Husqvarna.

qutius posted:

I love my Wolfman Rainier - that's one of their larger bags, but see what might fit your needs. Maybe the Express?

Made in Colorado which I thought was nice, too.

I'm liking the tank panniers. Thanks!

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Quick question, my gloves are starting to harden from all the sweat from riding. Is there a way to soften these back up so the leather doesn't end up shrinking and cracking? Will warm water work to remove the salt? I'm assuming that's what's hardening them up.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Probably Hates You posted:

Quick question, my gloves are starting to harden from all the sweat from riding. Is there a way to soften these back up so the leather doesn't end up shrinking and cracking? Will warm water work to remove the salt? I'm assuming that's what's hardening them up.

Mink oil. I'm not sure if it's fresh-squeezed from real mink or what, but it keeps leather supple like nothing else.

Any other "leather conditioner" works well enough. Leather soap first to clean the salt, then condition.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Excellent, thank you! To clarify, leather soap before milk oil, or no soap if oil?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Excellent, thank you! To clarify, leather soap before milk oil, or no soap if oil?

Soap first. It cleans all the junk out, including old, rancid oils (from your skin, mostly). You then add in clean, softening oil afterwards.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Amazing, thank you again. Looks like I'm stopping by the sporting goods store on the way out tomorrow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You can use the leather conditioner from the auto parts store if you're cheap. The Armor-All stuff tends to leave the leather a little shiny/oily for a few hours so don't do it right before a ride.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Also, as far as cleaning leather goes, the best stuff to use is actually Murphy Oil soap. Not something you'd typically think about using, but it truly works better than specialty "leather cleaners" and is cheaper. The local leather repair/cleaning place around here swears by the stuff.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Lexol cleaner and conditioner work great and are pretty drat cheap for the amount of product you receive. It's designed for use on saddles, you can find it at Farm & Fleet or Tractor Supply type stores or online. Amazon carries it now.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Seconding Lexol, it makes leather things soft as butter. Just don't use it in an enclosed space.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Halo_4am posted:

They're beyond tight though, I wasn't joking about the drool thing. I am forcibly fish faced at all times and can't completely close my mouth as a result.

Now that they've broken in they're fine. Lesson learned: trust the manufacturer in that if it's not leaving red lines all over your face and you're not getting a head ache then it is not too tight.

This is the first time in 3 helmets that I've owned one that properly fits. :downs:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Lexol is a good product, their office/manufacturing/distributing is actually about 15 minutes down the street from where I used to work. However, in my experience Murphy Oil soap is the best leather cleaner around. For conditioning (not cleaning), Lexol is fine though.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If we're talking about gloves here, how do you get any of this stuff inside of the glove and rub it around / rub it off properly?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I've never done the inside. I suppose the oil from your hands would condition well enough. Some gloves have a non-leather liner as well.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Mink oil. I'm not sure if it's fresh-squeezed from real mink or what, but it keeps leather supple like nothing else.

Any other "leather conditioner" works well enough. Leather soap first to clean the salt, then condition.

Mink oil also water proofs so that may or may not be a desired effect. I just did up some of my non-riding boots in mink oil and it's a bit more work then hitting them with cleaner and conditioner. Need to break out the hair drier or heatgun for mink oil.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

alnilam posted:

If we're talking about gloves here, how do you get any of this stuff inside of the glove and rub it around / rub it off properly?

Can you turn them inside out?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

On a semi-impulse buy, I picked up a new helmet - the Bell Revolver.

My 2-year-old helmet was a no-name Zox brand flip-up/modular that has most of the same features (flip-up face, fighter pilot sun shield, etc.). I bought that one as the only flip face or modular that my lovely cycle shop had to sell.

So far the Bell feels a lot tighter on my head, in a good way. My old helmet passes the fitting tests, but doesn't feel as snug and solid as this one.

One down side, oddly, is the Bell brings a hell of a lot more road noise than my lovely helmet. v0v

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Your old helmet doesn't fit as snug because the liner was broken in. Give the Bell some time. Wind noise makes sense since it's a modular. Those seem to generate more for some reason (at least IMO).

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Tamir Lenk posted:

On a semi-impulse buy, I picked up a new helmet - the Bell Revolver.

My 2-year-old helmet was a no-name Zox brand flip-up/modular that has most of the same features (flip-up face, fighter pilot sun shield, etc.). I bought that one as the only flip face or modular that my lovely cycle shop had to sell.

So far the Bell feels a lot tighter on my head, in a good way. My old helmet passes the fitting tests, but doesn't feel as snug and solid as this one.

One down side, oddly, is the Bell brings a hell of a lot more road noise than my lovely helmet. v0v

Wear ear plugs when you ride. You should be doing that anyway.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Wear ear plugs when you ride. You should be doing that anyway.

Except I never had noise issues before with my modular helmet, so didn't need earplugs.

Since I live in the city and do little to no long distance and/or highway miles, earplugs require too much :effort: If I were riding for more than an hour or so at highway speeds, I throw some on probably.

For my ride-style, the noise isn't deafening, just oddly unexpected since my only other experience was with a cheapo helmet. I assumed any noise level would go down as price went up. v0v

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

Except I never had noise issues before with my modular helmet, so didn't need earplugs.

Since I live in the city and do little to no long distance and/or highway miles, earplugs require too much :effort: If I were riding for more than an hour or so at highway speeds, I throw some on probably.

For my ride-style, the noise isn't deafening, just oddly unexpected since my only other experience was with a cheapo helmet. I assumed any noise level would go down as price went up. v0v

The two biggest marks against the Bell Revolver in the Webbikeworld review were its lack of a chin curtain and its poor fit between visor and helmet. Both of these add to experienced noise. As far as flip-up helmets go, you'll probably be up in the Shoei / Nolan territory before you find light, comfortable, quiet helmets.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

The two biggest marks against the Bell Revolver in the Webbikeworld review were its lack of a chin curtain and its poor fit between visor and helmet. Both of these add to experienced noise. As far as flip-up helmets go, you'll probably be up in the Shoei / Nolan territory before you find light, comfortable, quiet helmets.

That's curious. One notable difference between the Bell and my old poo poo-helmet is that the Bell has a chin curtain, which I am not used to navigating when I close the lid.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I believe there's a second generation of Revolvers. Those probably have a curtain. Pretty sure the Webbike review is on the first gen.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.

I'm taking an MSF course this week and will be riding a motorcycle ten hours over the weekend (entirely around an empty college parking lot, but I'm still excited!). If I get into riding, I will of course buy all the requisite gear. I did buy gloves yesterday at my local motorcycle gear shop.

But for just the weekend, how bad an idea is it to wear my hiking boots and a light jacket/windbreaker while riding? Or is it worth it to pony up for boots and/or a jacket?

If it helps, I don't think we get over 20mph (if that) in the course and we don't ever go off the assigned area onto a real road or anything.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I wouldn't even do the windbreaker that doesn't breath so good unless it looks like rain. Just a long sleeve breathable shirt is fine. Lots of folks swear by under armor as the best thing for sitting on hot blacktop all day.

Hiking boots or even hi-top sneakers are fine for what you're doing. So long as they're not steel-toe because then you can't feel the shifter and are making it harder on yourself.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
For the MSF that's probably fine but far from optimal. Just be aware that neither will protect you from any injuries. You'll still get rashed up if you dump the bike at 5mph, and you can still break an ankle if you crash at 10.

You have to buy some proper riding gear anyways if you plan on riding a motorcycle. You might as well get it done.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

ibntumart posted:

Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.

I'm taking an MSF course this week and will be riding a motorcycle ten hours over the weekend (entirely around an empty college parking lot, but I'm still excited!). If I get into riding, I will of course buy all the requisite gear. I did buy gloves yesterday at my local motorcycle gear shop.

But for just the weekend, how bad an idea is it to wear my hiking boots and a light jacket/windbreaker while riding? Or is it worth it to pony up for boots and/or a jacket?

If it helps, I don't think we get over 20mph (if that) in the course and we don't ever go off the assigned area onto a real road or anything.

For the MSF, you don't need much, a light jacket, jeans, hiking boots helmet and gloves will be fine. If you are sure you are going to be buying a bike and can afford to get gear now, then go for it, it will be one less thing to worry about later.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My old helmet lives on as a wine rack. The rear wind vents even hold the stoppers! The visor (reflective, green tint) isn't on in this picture, but you get the idea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Excuse me while I do this immediately ^^. What a great idea for dropped / old helmets.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I'm planning to cut mine open and see all about what goes on in there. I know there are surely 100's of pics and youtube vids of this, but I'm purposefully ignoring them hoping to relive that 'taking apart a golf/base ball' moment from childhood.

It's going to be better this time because rather then dedicating a rainy summer week to the process I'll get it done in an afternoon with powertools.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Safety Dance posted:

The two biggest marks against the Bell Revolver in the Webbikeworld review were its lack of a chin curtain and its poor fit between visor and helmet. Both of these add to experienced noise.

So, like a real revolver then? :v:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

I'm planning to cut mine open and see all about what goes on in there. I know there are surely 100's of pics and youtube vids of this, but I'm purposefully ignoring them hoping to relive that 'taking apart a golf/base ball' moment from childhood.

It's going to be better this time because rather then dedicating a rainy summer week to the process I'll get it done in an afternoon with powertools.

This would be my recommendation.

DSC_2270 by camerazn, on Flickr

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

For the MSF that's probably fine but far from optimal. Just be aware that neither will protect you from any injuries. You'll still get rashed up if you dump the bike at 5mph, and you can still break an ankle if you crash at 10.

You have to buy some proper riding gear anyways if you plan on riding a motorcycle. You might as well get it done.

Only girls drop motorcycles during the MSF and some may find that motorcycling is not for them while taking the MSF. Just go in whatever your have, you're very unlikely to even get a scrape.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At first glance it looks like it has been dumped in a lake and started to get covered with barnacles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

We also hit an old Bell helmet with a .50 BMG rifle round (it flew), and stuffed a lovely KBC with about 1/4 pound of explosives (there was almost nothing left). It was a good day.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Quick gear review: In early August I ordered an Alcatraz suit from Teiz Motorsports. It's a leather one-piece touring suit and I got a custom fit. I haven't ridden it for long, but so far I like it. It takes about 2 minutes to put on and 45 seconds to take off. There's a lot of pockets, 8 zippered vents which keeps me pretty cool. It was still pretty warm out the last time I wore it. The suit's expandable so I can wear thermals and fleeces under it when it gets cold.

The armor seems pretty solid. My only small complaint was that the elbow armor wasn't, at first, meshing up with my elbows. After stitching the armor pocket and lining a little differently it's snug and where it's supposed to be.

The suit took a month to arrive which I was fine with considering the custom measurements. The proprietor of Teiz, Ghazi, worked with me and was very responsive during the ordering process.

Here's some pics:

Link for Teiz: http://store.teizms.com/

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

JP Money posted:

Excuse me while I do this immediately ^^. What a great idea for dropped / old helmets.

Make sure to take the foam out before drilling. My patio was a mess. Eye protection is a must, too. Flying plastic and whatnot. I used the largest bit I had (3/4") but I had to widen the holes more to fit the bottles. I'd suggest a 7/8" or 1".