Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Taima posted:

I'm open to suggestions! The desk chair is one of the best purchases I've ever made. Take care of your back, friends. It will take care of you in return.

Sit to stand desk and keyboard tray. You can get the Humanscale 900 for much less on Fleabay. Then compliment it with a footrest and you're balling :whatup:

I frequently push north of 80 hours a week in front of the computer and split time between sitting and standing. Standing's so much better, but sitting has its perks to put your brain in a different thought process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh poo poo, dude. You can add a keyboard tray to a desk? That is absolutely incredible. That is such a good suggestion!

e: I kind of want a standing desk but truth be told I literally JUST bought my current one, hah :/

By the way I changed the K70 keyboard with a Filco majestouch 2 in the last day. Are you a keyboard guy? I want to get into one of the crazy custom ones but the keyboard thread makes me light-headed.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2019

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Embody is a great chair, nothing wrong with it. I have an Aeron and wish I would have picked something else instead. Or at least waited a little longer since the updated version came out about a year later.

Anyway, my overall point is one of cohesion. If you MUST have Item X in there, figure out a way to get it in there so it looks like it belongs there, rather than "This is where it fits." If you've taken care with the rest of your house, there's no reason your bedroom--a room that's intended to be comfortable, pleasant, and relaxing--should be the odd duck. Especially considering how much time you put into researching specs.

If you're *happy* with what you have, there's no reason to listen to me/us. All I'm saying is that from a design standpoint, some of these things have known solutions to keep you from injury and improve aesthetics.

As for something for your window covering, literally just go to Walmart or Target and get something that is relatively close to the patio door covering. If necessary, find a friend that sews and toss some bux at them to hem it if you find something you like that is oversized.

I'd also suggest finding a dresser or some such that is wider than it is tall for the TV to sit on so that it's not so high up. Comfy chair or no, that's gonna cause problems in the future, either through ergonomics or the TV falling.

Also, super-secret confession: my bedroom is my living room. And vice versa. I am a married middle-aged adult with a lofted bed and comic book art on my walls. We have TWO computers out here as well. Are there things I could be doing better with my space? Absolutely. My biggest sin is window coverings, of which we have none besides normal vinyl blinds. But I haven't done anything about it because it's less important to me than the whole room feeling comfortable, which at the moment it does. Maybe one day down the road, when the kid has moved out and the bed is in the BEDroom and I can move to something more ideal. For now, though: making do.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Taima posted:

Oh poo poo, dude. You can add a keyboard tray to a desk? That is absolutely incredible. That is such a good suggestion!

e: I kind of want a standing desk but truth be told I literally JUST bought my current one, hah :/

By the way I changed the K70 keyboard with a Filco majestouch 2 in the last day. Are you a keyboard guy? I want to get into one of the crazy custom ones but the keyboard thread makes me light-headed.

Topre or bust. It's one with the cup feel. Cherry Blues were my first mechanical switch and fatigued my fingers after prolonged coding sprints :gay:. I've had the same Topre (Realforce 87u, 45g) for close to 10 years and apart from having to clean it periodically, zero problems - still a bliss to type on.

Generally you need to allocate your funds where your time is. If you sleep 8 hours a day, like most humans do, get a good bed that supports your body. If you're writing code or poo poo posting 12 hours a day, maximize your ergonomics: foot rest, sit-to-stand desk, keyboard try, wrist rest, monitor arms, bias lighting - specifically smart lighting like LIFX or Hue that adjusts temperature with sun path, f.lux in the same vein for monitor temp, etc. You've only got one body, better take care of it. Wear and tear is cumulative whether it's on a car or your body; pay it forward now so your body doesn't rebel later.

Now, after you've maximized productivity where you spend the bulk of your life, figure out new car payments, entertainment, and the like.

Edit: Workrave too as a periodic reminder to move. Keep those RSI demons at bay.

nem fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 5, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm convinced a lot of goons had dorm rooms and then single bedroom apartments and now even entire houses but no one ever told them they could stop living like they're in a dorm room.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ruflux posted:

I've personally never liked having a TV in the bedroom and all but typically bitter goons have apparently decided having one means you're a permavirgin fat slob manchild.

The thing is, we all are or were that person (or a variant of) and when we see someone living even shttier, it's like smelling blood in the water. Gotta punch down on someone.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I'm convinced a lot of goons had dorm rooms and then single bedroom apartments and now even entire houses but no one ever told them they could stop living like they're in a dorm room.

they don't want to spend the cash required

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

bobmarleysghost posted:

they don't want to spend the cash required

None of the suggestions I initially made outside of a single window covering cost anything. Literally all it takes it to pull things out of the corner.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

nem posted:

Topre or bust. It's one with the cup feel. Cherry Blues were my first mechanical switch and fatigued my fingers after prolonged coding sprints :gay:. I've had the same Topre (Realforce 87u, 45g) for close to 10 years and apart from having to clean it periodically, zero problems - still a bliss to type on.

Generally you need to allocate your funds where your time is. If you sleep 8 hours a day, like most humans do, get a good bed that supports your body. If you're writing code or poo poo posting 12 hours a day, maximize your ergonomics: foot rest, sit-to-stand desk, keyboard try, wrist rest, monitor arms, bias lighting - specifically smart lighting like LIFX or Hue that adjusts temperature with sun path, f.lux in the same vein for monitor temp, etc. You've only got one body, better take care of it. Wear and tear is cumulative whether it's on a car or your body; pay it forward now so your body doesn't rebel later.

Now, after you've maximized productivity where you spend the bulk of your life, figure out new car payments, entertainment, and the like.

Edit: Workrave too as a periodic reminder to move. Keep those RSI demons at bay.

I feel like we're best friends in spirit. I literally constantly say that exact phrase, I mean it's "spend your money where you spend your time" in my case but that's basically my mantra too. I'll definitely look into topre switches. Is there any way to know if it's a "cup feel" keyboard?

Do you live in the bay? You could pretty much be any one of my coworkers.

rickiep00h posted:

Anyway, my overall point is one of cohesion. If you MUST have Item X in there, figure out a way to get it in there so it looks like it belongs there, rather than "This is where it fits." If you've taken care with the rest of your house, there's no reason your bedroom--a room that's intended to be comfortable, pleasant, and relaxing--should be the odd duck. Especially considering how much time you put into researching specs.

I find it comfortable, pleasant and relaxing. My partner gets her way in the rest of the house though. It works for us. We have a sushi party on Saturday that I just finished ordering for- pulling out the big guns, bluefin otoro and senaka for days!

Even got some real-rear end wasabi root:

In any case I think this has run its course, and I really do appreciate the tips. It's been super enlightening just to hear all of the opinions.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 6, 2019

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Taima posted:

I feel like we're best friends in spirit. I literally constantly say that exact phrase, I mean it's "spend your money where you spend your time" in my case but that's basically my mantra too. I'll definitely look into topre switches. Is there any way to know if it's a "cup feel" keyboard?

Do you live in the bay? You could pretty much be any one of my coworkers.

Too old in the industry for that garbage; CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md makes me cringe. I'm holding down Midwest KCMO for lake front property by 2040. Stop by to grab a beer if you're ever in town :tipshat:

Topre is incredible, but weight is purely subjective. "Feel oneness with the cup rubber" (source #2) is the marketing slogan upon further examination...

There's a mixed-weight variation but I'd bear caution cleaning the keyboard as you're liable to misplace the springs. I split the middle with 45g keys. If you're willing to burn $20/month on a jerky-of-the-month club treat yourself with a keyboard that'll keep your wrists able to tear that jerky apart. I'm just one man's opinion, but then again I've been at this career for the last 18 years, realistically in front of the computer for the last 28. Sitting is so drat bad for you. Yoga's great too!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol I knew it was the Bay Area after you kept dropping weird hints about the property values but never saying where it was.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

nem posted:

Too old in the industry for that garbage; CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md makes me cringe.

SJWs ruined emacs!!!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Taima posted:

I'm sad that you don't like the Hue light strip, but totally get the sentiment. Truth be told I've struggled with the proper lighting setup in here for years, so your point is well taken.

You can't get the lighting setup right in there because the proper lighting setup for a bedroom with a desk in it is some combination of floor lamps (you don't have any floor space) lamps on the nightstands (you don't have nightstands) or attached to the headboard (you don't have a headboard) plus a desk lamp (you have no space on your desk, even though it's huge.) Or just to open the giant-rear end windows during the day, which you don't do because you're in there playing video games in the dark. Lighting design is tough to get right in any circumstance, but because you've decided to prioritize having two different ways to play video games in your bedroom/home office, you've boxed yourself out of any way to make it an effective bedroom/home office.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

TTerrible posted:

SJWs ruined emacs!!!

emacs ruined emacs :cop:

I’ve always viewed code as apolitical and solely merit-based. Having basically a violable framework to remind everyone to put forth their best effort is antithetical to that idea and counterintuitively makes code political.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

hypnophant posted:

You can't get the lighting setup right in there because the proper lighting setup for a bedroom with a desk in it is some combination of floor lamps (you don't have any floor space) lamps on the nightstands (you don't have nightstands) or attached to the headboard (you don't have a headboard) plus a desk lamp (you have no space on your desk, even though it's huge.) Or just to open the giant-rear end windows during the day, which you don't do because you're in there playing video games in the dark. Lighting design is tough to get right in any circumstance, but because you've decided to prioritize having two different ways to play video games in your bedroom/home office, you've boxed yourself out of any way to make it an effective bedroom/home office.

Sir! You are misunderstanding! Sir! Friend! Buddy!

There is only ONE(1) way to play video games, the OLED. The desk is specifically for home office use, no game playing goes on there, nor could it, as the monitor is 5K (far too demanding for gaming) and it's specifically a productivity monitor for work.

Just out of curiosity, how are you inferring that I'm not opening the room to natural light because I "play video games all day"? It feels like you're bitterly inferring untrue things in an attempt to be rude, which doesn't speak well to your general happiness. I hope you're ok.

The natural light is great from the large sliding doors (one of the cool things about this bedroom) but the sun goes down, and then there isn't any more natural light. If you want more details on this process, google is a good resource.

nem posted:

I've always viewed code as apolitical and solely merit-based. Having basically a violable framework to remind everyone to put forth their best effort is antithetical to that idea and counterintuitively makes code political.

I wonder if the proliferation and ubiquity of modern web frameworks, with their own design agendas and priorities, will eventually have some kind of political consequence. Would a coder use a framework for ideological reasons? Maybe not now, but if politics continues becoming increasingly polarized, I could see it happening.

"React? Psh. Made by a bunch of SJWs"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

nem posted:

emacs ruined emacs :cop:

I’ve always viewed code as apolitical and solely merit-based. Having basically a violable framework to remind everyone to put forth their best effort is antithetical to that idea and counterintuitively makes code political.

code is inherently political.

see the movement to not build things that oppress people.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I suppose it's possible I misunderstood what you meant by

Taima posted:

pretty seamless integration of two computers: one Macbook Pro touchbar, and one gaming PC

Also I'm inferring you keep the room dark by the blanket over one window and blackout curtains over the other. If you only close the curtains when it's dark out it's less critical to have blackout curtains, and it's inconvenient to take down and put up a blanket over a window every day, especially when there's a bed in front of it. That's a logical inference - Google it if you have questions. Your room layout still means you can't solve your lighting problem though. Get a bigger room or less stuff.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Proper lighting comes in three stages and all three are necessary for a functional room: general/ambient light (say an overhead or large floor lamp), accent light (for spots the general doesn't catch or room features you want to gilght such as art, lots of lamps and spot-style lights fit this), and task lighting for reading or work (clamp lights, reading lamps, desk lights.) Trying to accomplish everything with one lighting setup is literally impossible.

Hue lights are intended as accent lighting and while having them full up CAN light a room, it will never do exactly what you want it to in any given situation.

This is another example I'll chalk up to spec over function. Those lights are rad, but not reeeeeaally how you're using them. The way your arguments so far have broken down so far tends to go with "This is a Brand X product, why don't you like it? It's top of the line! We've done Y to make it work the way we want it to," while ignoring the fact that you'd have a much superior *experience* with less shoehorned gear. I appreciate people that try to cram Viper V10 engines into Beetles, but there's a level of practicality that will never be reached by trying to outreach your limitations (in this case, available space.)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

You know for like $10 you can get multi colored, remote controlled, LED, colour changeable, dimmable bulbs right? This whole "three stages of lighting" is peak interior design twattery.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I didn't mean to imply my lighting suggestions were the One True setup or anything, just a good baseline for his space providing ambient (floor lamp) accent/task light (bedside lamps) and another task light for working at the desk. There's other options too like some backlighting behind the TV or using uplighting instead of a floor lamp for ambient, for example, but that's the minimum comfortable lighting arrangement, imo. I really dislike being in spaces with single point source lighting, and I'd go crazy if I was trying to do real work at a desk with no task lamp, but maybe that's just me!

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Theophany posted:

You know for like $10 you can get multi colored, remote controlled, LED, colour changeable, dimmable bulbs right? This whole "three stages of lighting" is peak interior design twattery.

Like don't get me wrong, my bedroom setup is a 4-pack of hue bulbs, two in the ceiling fixture, one in a bedside lamp and one in a desk lamp. Ambient/accent/task is a way to think about where the lights go and what they're for, it doesn't require anything particularly fancy.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Light behind the monitor, blocked by the monitor, to give a diffused glow. Light in the corner of the room (or sex dungeon) to give ambient lighting. Get a Hue, LIFX, or YeeLights (???) to work with f.lux. Call it a day. No need to overthink this. Just avoid direct light to the eyes and set warm temperatures at night... f.lux does this automatically.

Evaluate different lighting setups based upon monitor color temp, you want to avoid cooler colors at night so as not to gently caress with your circadian clock. Once that's setup, figure out how you can diffuse light at night to not create any one spot in the room that causes eye strain. If your eyes hurt, it's your body telling you that setup ain't gonna work bub.

Lighting is easier to work out the more room you have. I had a small 700 sqft studio at one point with the office in an alcove. Never could dial it in right.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Theophany posted:

You're welcome to work at your desk without direct light and your shadow in your work the whole. Ain't no big fuckin' deal to me.

One bit of rope light in a corner is absolutely none of the things I mentioned and serves the purpose of Not Running Into Things Because It's Dark.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

nem posted:

Light behind the monitor, blocked by the monitor, to give a diffused glow. Light in the corner of the room (or sex dungeon) to give ambient lighting. Get a Hue, LIFX, or YeeLights (???) to work with f.lux. Call it a day. No need to overthink this. Just avoid direct light to the eyes and set warm temperatures at night... f.lux does this automatically.

Evaluate different lighting setups based upon monitor color temp, you want to avoid cooler colors at night so as not to gently caress with your circadian clock. Once that's setup, figure out how you can diffuse light at night to not create any one spot in the room that causes eye strain. If your eyes hurt, it's your body telling you that setup ain't gonna work bub.

Lighting is easier to work out the more room you have. I had a small 700 sqft studio at one point with the office in an alcove. Never could dial it in right.

Don't encourage him

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I got some new gear, including a fisheye lens (Sigma 15mm f/2.8) that I'm still getting used to, so these pics are a bit blown out.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm seeing double. 4 CDJ's and 2 MacBooks.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

American McGay posted:

I'm seeing double. 3 MCs and 1 DJ.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Upload them in higher res, I can't peep these at all.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bobmarleysghost posted:

Upload them in higher res, I can't peep these at all.

Unfortunately I deleted the originals as I tend to when I'm just goofing around with the camera. But here's a breakdown of what you're looking at:

The 'production' desk, from left to right on the bottom row has an MPC2000XL sampler with the eight output and effects card expansions installed. Next to it in the center is an Ableton Push, which sadly I may be moving away from as I'm going to try out Cubase and see if it's more stable with some of my gear. Next door on the right is a Novation Ultranova synthesizer, great little midrange synth with cool editing possibilities via a VST editor that runs on-screen. Up top, underneath the gear there's a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 with an OctoPre next to it adding an additional eight inputs via optical S/P-DIF. Up top on the left is Roland's TB-3, a 303 clone that - unless you're one of those acid purists - sounds great. Next to it is a Korg KP3, multi-effect x-y controller that I've had just about every model of since they released the first one when I was 14... a lot of people say they're a cheap toy but I think they're very fun and a quick way to get some tempo-sync'd delays and weird moving effects on a track. On the right is the granddaddy of analog modelling synths, an Access Virus TI2 Desktop. This one takes the VST integration several steps further than the Ultranova, and is SUCH a joy to play around in - unfortunately it's the major thing that gives me grief and kills my creative groove by dropping sync in Ableton, so I'm going to be exploring Cubase for a while.

The computer powering it all is a juiced-up Mac Pro 5,1, the last generation of 'cheese grater' tower they made before the new, absurdly-expensive one. It's got a pair of 3.46GHz Xeons, 64GB of RAM, four 1TB SSDs for boot, applications and fast-access audio libraries, plus four 6TB HDDs for the slower-access stuff like session files and other junk And a Radeon Sapphire RX580 graphics card powering the three monitors (two 1080p IPSLEDs and one 4K UHD up top, plus a long HDMI cable to my 4K UHD TV across the room). The monitors are KRK RoKit RP8G2s with the RP10S subwoofer on a switch - the KRKs get poo poo on a lot because "BeSt BuY sElLs ThEm ThEy'Re CrAp" but I've owned them for twelve years and I think they sound fine for what I need. I won't even list all the software and plugins I've got on there because it's a lot. There's a Mediasonic ProRaid box under the desk as well that I should really fire up and run another backup.

The DJ setup is four CDJ2000NXS2 models and an older DJM900 mixer. I had mismatched generations of CDJs for the longest time and it was causing me a lot of grief with the decks panicking and jumping into EMERGENCY LOOP mode so I pulled the trigger on a full set of identical CDJs and now everything works flawlessly. The CDJs and DJM are all networked via a small CAT5 switch underneath the desk, facilitating their LINK feature sharing song and tempo data across the whole setup (including links directly to both laptops and the Mac Pro's Ethernet ports to run directly from Rekordbox). I might upgrade to the DJM900NXS2 mixer at some point in the future, because it has a couple of nifty features that I could use. I got the first-generation Akai APC40, Native Instruments Audio10 (an audio interface that's quite sought-after these days as NI stopped making it) and two identical laptops (2011 MacBook Pros with SSD drives in the optical bays, 16GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD) with these grandiose dreams of performing live using the DJ setup and synthesizers/samplers simultaneously but as time goes on my interest in that wanes and I've all but moved on from using Traktor as a DJ so they sit awaiting the day I decide to do that again, occasionally I'll take one to work (I'm typing on one right now). I have a Pioneer standalone controller for DJ gigs that require it, so I no longer have to lug the CDJ/DJM setup around.

Honestly the decks probably get more use than anything else in the room, especially now that I've invested a bit in some cinematography gear as well I've been rolling video takes of some mini-mixes. It's so easy if I'm feeling like doing something creative but I don't want to think too hard about it, to turn on the turntables and burn two to four hours ultimately creating nothing at all. I need to shut up and start writing again, but I've been out for so long that it is a daunting process. Ultimately, I'm just a gearhound. :(

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 12, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Rolling desks that don't suck and are relatively cheap? Been browsing and searching the last few pages of this thread and elsewhere (especially Amazon). In short I need a small desk with about 24in of keyboard and mouse space, reasonable height, that can sincerely be rolled between two rooms. Also, the overall dimensions have to be on the small side, I've only got a 30x35in space in which to store this in one bedroom and a human has to be able to get through it in the nigth to get to the bathroom.

My toddler needs her own room so I have to start moving my office around between our bedroom or wherever's free. I figured I might as well move my monitor and nice keyboard etc with it.

I've seen the link for Humanscale above but don't have that budget.

My Amazoning brought me to the following:
* Techni Mobili Compact Computer Cart with Storage
* Mount-It! Mobile Standing Desk Cart
* Soges Adjustable Stand Up Desk
* A monoprice one with a title too full of keywords so I won't copy and past even part of it

There are others but those are the major designs I can find.

Thoughts? TBH I am only worried about monitor (which I can change and even mount), a place to put the laptop and it's plug in dock (back of monitor?) decent keyboard space and somewhere to have a mouse.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Local surplus + drill some holes in the feet, buy casters and pick up threaded inserts at your local home improvement store? Do you want durable or cheap? Durable may be the former, latter may be the Amazon deal of the day.

Are you pushing over plush carpet or hardwood flooring? Is this some sort of sex dungeon we're dealing with? Why not laptop it? Going with cheaper metals, you've got some inertia + friction to overcome from the carpet that'll cause the furniture to break apart eventually, whether it's months or years is at the skill of the installer.

nem fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 16, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Carpet
It's a normal bedroom at all times. The window faces onto a view, and is made of glass, not bricks.
Also, have a kid so any DIY better be quick

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Laptop :q:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

nem posted:

Local surplus + drill some holes in the feet, buy casters and pick up threaded inserts at your local home improvement store? Do you want durable or cheap? Durable may be the former, latter may be the Amazon deal of the day.

Are you pushing over plush carpet or hardwood flooring? Is this some sort of sex dungeon we're dealing with? Why not laptop it? Going with cheaper metals, you've got some inertia + friction to overcome from the carpet that'll cause the furniture to break apart eventually, whether it's months or years is at the skill of the installer.

I know this is amazon uk, but this desk was cheap as gently caress and it is actually very good quality - not 'wow this is better than I expected' quality: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HG7L2PL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It also allows for you to drill into the bottom of the feet and mount castors to it which won't be more than what, $5 a corner?

I have a 27" monitor arm mounted to it and a 12-plug Belkin surge protector screwed into the underside of the desk surface. So you could plug in all the poo poo you need on the desk and only need a single AC outlet to have it all powered.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'll be honest, that does look good, but regretably the dimensions are just too big for what I want to do. I've actually got an existing desk about that size.

Don't get me wrong, if that had been the right size I'd have started tracking one down and doing exactly what you suggest.

I forgot to mention a lot of sit stand desk are nearly there in terms of dimensions.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I got some new gear, including a fisheye lens (Sigma 15mm f/2.8) that I'm still getting used to, so these pics are a bit blown out.

Nice decks, I need to go collect my Denon HC4500 later today and then i have to decide whether to use that which needs external power or use the Denon MC2000 i currently have attached to my PC?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Frankensteined together a new desk, and now I have a monitor efficiency issue

Despite the size, the 4k 42" monitor is slightly too far away to be comfortable for browsing a lot of the time. The arm placement for the other monitors is in a bad spot and ends up blocking my left bookshelf speaker (which i'm not uinsg ATM as a result) with my gaming monitor, and above that is an awkwardly placed 22" dell monitor that I plab to retire (also not in use, not even plugged in). Right now the 4k monitor rests on a sturdy window platform that I wasn't making use of before, but if I move it to the main desk it will arguably be too close / block the other speaker/They don't make monitor arms for 42" monitors, do they?

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 24, 2020

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
Most every monitor arm out there go by weight. They say size, but really it's the weight they care about. Since modern TV's and monitors are so much lighter than they were even 5 years ago, I'd simply look for adjustment/reach you like, make sure it meets or exceeds the weight of your monitor, and there ya go.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I picked up a 47" HP ips touch screen the other day at the local tech donation non profit thrift store. Gestures are working in OSX Mohave and it is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What's the best kind of bit to drill a clean hole through a desk? I would use a hole saw but it chews up the veneer around the hole really bad.