Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Will do. We have a 12' jib and several wireless cameras we can use so we could get some good coverage of a kart track, it's just a matter of having enough people to make it all run and getting the OK from the track manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Do they make any cars with a wet clutch? Having never driven a manual transmission before getting a bike, I'm worried that I'll completely ruin one if I ever do.

VW/Audi DSG gearboxes use wet multi-plate clutches. So do the Veyron, Nissan GT-R and Porsche sequential-manuals. The Fiat SMTs are dry, dunno about the Fords. None of these are conventional mantrans, of course.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Some hardcore Merc autos ditched their fluid torque converters in favor of small wet clutchpacks in their MCT sports transmissions.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The new seven-gear DSG use dry clutches.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Some fucker just tried to steal my bike and dropped it, now the steering bar is all bent out of whack.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Frankston posted:

Some fucker just tried to steal my bike and dropped it, now the steering bar is all bent out of whack.

Going to need more details here...

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

epswing posted:

Going to need more details here...

Finished work, went to the nearby supermarket to pick up some beer (was in for no more than 5 minutes). Came out to notice my bike was at a different angle to what I parked it and a security guy heading towards me. In the 5 minutes that I was in the shop some dude had pulled up in a car, sat on my bike, tried to steal it but promptly dropped it and disappeared thanks to some good timing by a police car that happened to drive by the area at that moment. Of course the police can't do anything about it even though the car park has about 100 CCTV's monitoring it.

Literally 5 minutes and somebody tried to steal my bike. It's pathetic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Frankston posted:

gently caress.

Are you still riding that XR 125L? Who'd steal that?

I'm guessing youngsters who just passed their CBT, but can't afford a bike would, actually.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Frankston posted:

Finished work, went to the nearby supermarket to pick up some beer (was in for no more than 5 minutes). Came out to notice my bike was at a different angle to what I parked it and a security guy heading towards me. In the 5 minutes that I was in the shop some dude had pulled up in a car, sat on my bike, tried to steal it but promptly dropped it and disappeared thanks to some good timing by a police car that happened to drive by the area at that moment. Of course the police can't do anything about it even though the car park has about 100 CCTV's monitoring it.

Did you lock it up at all?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress.

Are you still riding that XR 125L? Who'd steal that?

I'm guessing youngsters who just passed their CBT, but can't afford a bike would, actually.

Yeah. People will steal anything that isn't tied down for the sake of it.

_Dav posted:

Did you lock it up at all?

No, I was literally in and out of the shop in a couple of minutes and didn't see the point considering the car park was well-lit and covered in security cameras. Lesson learned.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
How effective is my built-in handlebar lock?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

epswing posted:

How effective is my built-in handlebar lock?

Not very.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMVtKYBt5Q0

It may deter some opportunistic thieves, but not determined ones.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
That just had to be a naked Bandit didn't it. :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ziploc posted:

That just had to be a naked Bandit didn't it. :mad:

I know I was all "awwww :smith:" when he was breaking the steering lock.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
I honestly think that the best deterrent for bike thieves is getting a cover for it. I use that and a lovely little disk lock.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I see where you are coming from, but its not really out of sight. A motorcycle under a cover is still obviously a motorcycle, and all it takes is a 5 second peek under the cover to determine if its worth stealing, just like a bike out in the open.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Yeah I know, all it takes is a peep and it's easy enough to do, but I'm just saying its effective and makes a difference. It's a simple way of just not having it on show.

It's not going to stop a travelling pack of bike thieves with a truck, but it'll stop oppertunistic thefts like the vid some of the time.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

There is no substitute for a garage or an apartment you can get your bike into.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Frankston posted:

Yeah. People will steal anything that isn't tied down for the sake of it.

If I ever take my bike to the mainland I think I might 'engineer' an electrical fault that turns anyone loving touching it into an earthing rod for a 33,000uf capacitor...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The most effective deterrent is to park next to a more desirable bike.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Cardboard cutout of a Ducati next to your bike.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Or just take off your fairings like I did my ZX6R.

And if it's stolen? Just sell the stored fairings and get a whole new bike through insurance. Win!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

the walkin dude posted:

Or just take off your fairings like I did my ZX6R.

And if it's stolen? Just sell the stored fairings and get a whole new bike through insurance. Win!

Every night? If you're going to park the bike for a while a cover and a lock while storing it out of sight is probably your best best.

Day to day I'd say your best theft management solution is a nice comprehensive policy with a low deductible to be honest. 4 dudes with a truck and some elbow grease are typically stronger than your disc lock.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mootmoot posted:

Yeah I know, all it takes is a peep and it's easy enough to do, but I'm just saying its effective and makes a difference. It's a simple way of just not having it on show.

It's not going to stop a travelling pack of bike thieves with a truck, but it'll stop oppertunistic thefts like the vid some of the time.

Hey, you're back. Did you get your bike fixed?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

JP Money posted:

Every night? If you're going to park the bike for a while a cover and a lock while storing it out of sight is probably your best best.

Day to day I'd say your best theft management solution is a nice comprehensive policy with a low deductible to be honest. 4 dudes with a truck and some elbow grease are typically stronger than your disc lock.

Of course not, silly. Take your pretty, thief-seducing fairings off and leave 'em off. If you like naked bikes then it's easy for ya to do.

Out of sight also works well in tandem.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

If you don't have a garage getting comprehensive insurance on your motorcycle is the only real way to protect yourself, and even then there have been a rash of people stealing dirtbikes out of garages in my city recently, so that doesn't even guarantee. Point is that a smart/determined enough rear end in a top hat is going to get what he wants, so best to just be insured.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mootmoot posted:

I honestly think that the best deterrent for bike thieves is getting a cover for it. I use that and a lovely little disk lock.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Welcome back, friend.

Spikes come in the mail?

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Yep everything came and I managed to fit and mod everything. I put the new black werkes exhaust on and all that other stuff. Replaced the clutch and brake handles with black shorties. I put the spikes on but I'm undecided on if I like them or not. I do like the 10mm reflective rimtape though :swoon:

Oh yeah, I put underlighting on it too:

Im going to do a squid thread when I've cleaned the fairings properly and taken photos.

mootmoot fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 12, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Never has such a large picture shown so little.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oh man, lesson learned for me too. Neeeever park it without the handlebar lock. How effective are those disc brake locks? I think I just got so paranoid Im going to go pick one up haha.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Those are also mildly effective for spontaneous crimes. However, 99% of bike thefts are going to be a few burly dudes picking it up and tossing it in the back of a van, so a disc lock isn't going to do poo poo.

Your best bet is, as mentioned, a nice comprehensive insurance cushion.
edit: or get an intensely strong chain and lock it to a streetlight post or something.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Frankston posted:

Was this at an asda somewhere in the north of england?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Forty Two posted:

Was this at an asda somewhere in the north of england?

No, Tesco in Coventry.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I need to pick up an oil filter, an air filter, and brake pads. There aren't any moto-friendly places nearby, that I know of. I'm looking for a reputable online Canadian dealer that I can order these simple parts from. I don't really want to order from a US dealer and get facepunched with "brokerage" fees when the parts cross the border.

There are a few that come up in a simple google search. Any Canadian goons have any recommendations?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

This ZZR has been my parking buddy on campus for the last two semesters, and I just figured out last week that the bike hasn't moved in ~8 months :smith:
There's rust on the brake rotors and chain, spiderwebs criss-crossing the controls, and a fine layer of dirt covering the entire thing. Somehow, whoever left it there has avoided getting tickets this entire time, despite not having a parking pass.

On the off chance that they don't want the bike anymore for some reason, I left a note on it today :v:

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

Frankston posted:

No, Tesco in Coventry.

Eh, Tesco was my second guess and Coventry is northern enough for a southern fairy like me

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

AncientTV posted:

This ZZR has been my parking buddy on campus for the last two semesters, and I just figured out last week that the bike hasn't moved in ~8 months :smith:
There's rust on the brake rotors and chain, spiderwebs criss-crossing the controls, and a fine layer of dirt covering the entire thing. Somehow, whoever left it there has avoided getting tickets this entire time, despite not having a parking pass.

On the off chance that they don't want the bike anymore for some reason, I left a note on it today :v:

Isn't there some rule about abandoned things you can make your own with some paperworks?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Sure is, I'm gonna go to the DMV tomorrow and inquire into that. I definitely wouldn't complain about getting a new bike for a few hundred dollars in titling fees.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So what happens if he comes back for it and is like :wtc: my bike. Then reports it stolen, will the police call and be like, 'uuhhhh sorry. You abandoned it so someone else claimed it'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The process is pretty drawn out. The police pick it up (if they determine it to be parked illegally, which it is) and hold it while they try and contact the owner. I believe they also give you the contact information so you can attempt to get a hold of them. You're also required to post ads in a widely-circulated newspaper of the city the vehicle was parked in. After 90 days, if you can prove that you've been trying to locate the owner, they'll title it in your name after you pay the storage fees and any tickets it has accumulated.

This is mostly conjecture, I've never actually talked to a police officer or DMV employee about it.