Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Xibanya posted:

Follow up to dead grandkids boss. As advised I spoke no more of it. Boss was out two days. Clueless HR lady got him flowers. He did not like them.

lol HR.

Did they sit on his desk for the 2 days he was out so that he came back to find a bunch of dead flowers? Cause that would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

1500quidporsche posted:

Today's little slice of misery: Our pricing system has been locking up since about 8am. I've been working on something that should've taken 30 minutes for about 3 hours now.

I've got a full day worth of work that I can't touch because the system is now locked up.

March can't come soon enough.

poor baby, only since 8am

I haven't had systems since July.+

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I can't tell if one of the two departments I am working in is slowly spiraling out of control or if I'm just noticing the chaos more after working in another department, but I feel like I barely ever know what is going on anymore. There are only maybe 15 people in the department, yet our boss has everyone working on different projects secretly and we are only filled in on the details of stuff we need to work on AFTER it's already implemented and we're supposed to be working on it.

Last week we were told that "soon" a test would start in one market where we would have to add certain fees to the product in that market, blablabla. We were given absolutely no detail on how to do it, nor any training in how to do it. Then this morning we all get an email that admin is all set up and we can start doing this test now. So I pick up some work in that market and I'm trying to figure out on my own how to do it, since no one has told us yet. I immediately run into a problem, so I ask in our dept. chat room for help. Some girl who never knows anything but always wants to appear authoritative and is not a manager tries to answer my question, but doesn't answer it at all, since she knows less than I do.

So I go to ask the person in charge of the test market about it and she's like "I don't know anything about this yet - we are supposed to have a meeting this afternoon to talk about it."

Okay ... so ... why is this live now?!

Then about 10 min after I ask my question, my boss finally chimes in saying "Oh only two people are working on this test, you need to give all of those items to them if you pick them up."

Um ... okay, that might have been good information to know at some point!

But of course, one of the people who is supposedly doing this is not even working today. The other one told me 'I haven't been trained on this yet, I am learning it tomorrow."

Okaaaay. So I guess all this work is just gonna pile up for today? Hope none of it's urgent! Not my problem, luckily.

My boss is in charge of not only my department, but the production team who is responsible for making this test live, so I can't for the life of me figure out why she didn't tell them not to make this live until everyone knew what they were doing and was ready to work on it, but that's pretty much how she rolls. She's a Senior VP in charge of two departments who is chronically incapable of actually exercising any authority, so things just happen when they happen and we all have to scramble to figure it out ourselves. Yet she gets promoted every year and put in charge of more and more stuff each time.

Meanwhile in my other department, the manager is constantly updating us on procedure, giving us refresher training or warning us in advance of new things coming down the pipeline and how we need to deal with them. We get emails almost every day addressing any issues or confusion anyone has over how to do our work and we have a skype meeting every two weeks with mini-trainings and the ability for anyone to bring up issues or questions. She has only been promoted once in like 7 years and is only in charge of one small dept. My company is definitely using its management talent well.

They're also in danger of losing one of their best managers, who's been with the company since it was tiny, because my boss is now over her, and is treating her like poo poo and shutting down any of her attempts to improve our dept.'s workflow and communication. I hope that when she finally walks out the door she musters the guts to be explicit about why she's leaving because it's really revealing about a large black hole that's opened up in the management structure of the company is sucking productivity in like there's no tomorrow.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
At work our parent company overlords decided we need to have twice as many releases despite us only having one patch free release in the last year. So the dev team was split in two for staggered releases. In their infinite wisdom upper management decided to put the two guys who have been here for 5+ years in "pod A" and the 3 guys who have been here 3 months in "pod B".

Some of the new guys must have never worked with QA before because they take bugs really personally. One guy kept on coming up to me every time I opened a bug to argue about it and every time I told him that he should take that argument to his own manager. I once opened a bug because the word "automatic" was spelled "autimatic". This dev guy comes running to my cube with the documentation, triumphantly pointing out that in the documentation that the entire director team approved, the label on that control included the spelling "autimatic".

I went to the director to clarify on whether or not it was a bug and his reaction was like "no poo poo, that was a typo I made in Visio."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

do your devs have some sort of hilarious metric about how many bugs they are responsible for?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

do your devs have some sort of hilarious metric about how many bugs they are responsible for?

Nope that would be balls out retarded.
This one guy in particular seemed to take it as an attack on his skills as a dev. Honestly when I write a bug it's as neutral as possible - here are the steps, here's the expected results, here are the actual results. It's nothing to get your feelings hurt over.

Lol and this same guy always used to check in code that broke pages. It's because of him they now do unit testing. We in QA wanted them to do that for ages, but it took a special dev for that to happen. :allears:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Email chat! My whole job is pretty much sending and receiving emails. It's very important for me to be able to look into an Outlook folder and say "I sent you an email at 10:42am on 16/04/2012 with your invoice attached, you responded two days later with <information>". Because I've been in this role for several years now I have huge email archives across three inboxes (two customer-facing shared addresses and my personal address) as well as huge amounts of data on our shared network drive. I don't necessarily access all this information every day but when I need it being able to immediately access something from several years ago is immensely helpful.

A few months ago our entire department got new computers. When the IT guy was setting up my Outlook he asked why my archive files were so huge and when I explained about having to retain all this information spanning many years, etc, he looked confused and suggested I should just delete most of it as IT prefer not to have to deal with huge email archives and I should just keep stuff in my inbox (which has a 100mb limit) as there's not really any reason to use the archive function in Outlook. How does this company even function?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

It is a business liability to keep email beyond a certain amount of time! Every industry I have worked in purges all email as soon as legally permissible.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Xibanya posted:

Nope that would be balls out retarded.
This one guy in particular seemed to take it as an attack on his skills as a dev. Honestly when I write a bug it's as neutral as possible - here are the steps, here's the expected results, here are the actual results. It's nothing to get your feelings hurt over.

Lol and this same guy always used to check in code that broke pages. It's because of him they now do unit testing. We in QA wanted them to do that for ages, but it took a special dev for that to happen. :allears:

It takes a special kind of person to be a software developer who's skin is so thin they take offense to bugs in their own code.

I'm having trouble processing it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cyberia posted:

Email chat! My whole job is pretty much sending and receiving emails. It's very important for me to be able to look into an Outlook folder and say "I sent you an email at 10:42am on 16/04/2012 with your invoice attached, you responded two days later with <information>". Because I've been in this role for several years now I have huge email archives across three inboxes (two customer-facing shared addresses and my personal address) as well as huge amounts of data on our shared network drive. I don't necessarily access all this information every day but when I need it being able to immediately access something from several years ago is immensely helpful.

A few months ago our entire department got new computers. When the IT guy was setting up my Outlook he asked why my archive files were so huge and when I explained about having to retain all this information spanning many years, etc, he looked confused and suggested I should just delete most of it as IT prefer not to have to deal with huge email archives and I should just keep stuff in my inbox (which has a 100mb limit) as there's not really any reason to use the archive function in Outlook. How does this company even function?

You should chat with people in the IT threads, as overly large PST/OST files seem to be one of the primary drivers of cirrhosis there.

It would be an excellent thing to watch.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Did you know they make under the desk foot warms, and that my company will pay for them.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Renegret posted:

It takes a special kind of person to be a software developer who's skin is so thin they take offense to bugs in their own code.

I'm having trouble processing it.

Part of it is he would come round my cube going "but it works in local!" :qq:
I could clearly show him that in test it wasn't working but he needed proof every time (until my manager told his manager to make him stop coming over every time QA opened a bug.)

I guess maybe he was messing with stuff in local to make things work that he couldn't check in because it would mess up something else? This "but it works in local!" doesn't happen with any other dev here so maybe he just sucks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Xibanya posted:

so maybe he just sucks.

I'm gonna go on a limb and guess this is it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xibanya posted:

Part of it is he would come round my cube going "but it works in local!" :qq:
I could clearly show him that in test it wasn't working but he needed proof every time (until my manager told his manager to make him stop coming over every time QA opened a bug.)

I guess maybe he was messing with stuff in local to make things work that he couldn't check in because it would mess up something else? This "but it works in local!" doesn't happen with any other dev here so maybe he just sucks.

Seriously you should find another job with a company that isn't terribad. This developer would get a serious sit down and chat at any place vaguely competent after the third time he did that. It's OK to ask to see it happen on your setup if he can't replicate, but it's not OK to blame QA for your own failings.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My guess, based on my own pathetic salary and how in-demand devs seem to be in Austin, is that he's the best they can buy on the likely puny salary they're offering.

I want to work somewhere better but even though I think I'm good at what I do, only have 1 year of QA experience so I doubt I'd make it past HR.

Oh I have another story. This same loving guy. I opened a bug about how the front end of the database page for clients' employees would get formatted weird if the page was displaying the info of an employee who didn't have login credentials. In the repro steps, I said find an employee who has no login credentials and view their profile thru the front end. He came by my desk to ask how to find an employee with no user name. So I was like, OK, come here, and I typed for him the following query:

"SELECT * FROM AccountEmployee where UserID IS NULL"

He was like, "well I thought so but it wasn't clear...."

This is one of the biggest tables in the DB and he's been here 3 months. And he was hired as a senior. :cripes:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

From what I've gathered, we have the even-more-hilarious opposite: QA have a metric about bugs they raise in error.

Setting a bug to "user error" is like opening the gates of passive-aggressive hell as individual QA engineers hate hate hate this. Some will try to get developers to change it to literally anything else, even categories they know full well are completely inappropriate.

Fun times.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

rolleyes posted:

From what I've gathered, we have the even-more-hilarious opposite: QA have a metric about bugs they raise in error.

Setting a bug to "user error" is like opening the gates of passive-aggressive hell as individual QA engineers hate hate hate this. Some will try to get developers to change it to literally anything else, even categories they know full well are completely inappropriate.

Fun times.

That seems like a great way to let bugs slip through the cracks and into production.

If I open a spate of bad bugs I get a stern talking to by my manager but that's it.

Thanks for making me appreciate my job more.

EDIT: not to mention some "user error" could arguably be a design flaw.

I once opened a bug on how if you make a change on the front end to a client's profile and then click cancel on the edit page, a pop up message appears saying "are you sure you want to delete this profile?" I opened a bug as it made this sound like the profile was being deleted when actually the changes were being discarded. The bug was closed by the director as "page working as designed." However, later when a different director complained about the wording, the IT director was able to say "we're aware of the issue" instead of making QA look like clueless morons.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 20, 2015

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Volmarias posted:

You should chat with people in the IT threads, as overly large PST/OST files seem to be one of the primary drivers of cirrhosis there.

It would be an excellent thing to watch.

I keep nearly every email I send or receive, with the exception of list serves and other junk, so does everyone in my group (some of our document retention guidelines indicate some records should be kept 5-50 years after the project is done). IT complains and says a pst isn't supported if it is over a gig, so recently I have been splitting my emails into "mm/yyyy Project" pst files. This was after I noticed doing it by year wasn't cutting it anymore because I had 11GB in one of them.

IT keeps telling us that we need use another solution, but they won't provide any alternatives beyond "save all your emails to PDFs in a folder" Great so I can't search them and the attachments disappear.

Ugh emails.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

catspleen posted:

IT keeps telling us that we need use another solution, but they won't provide any alternatives beyond "save all your emails to PDFs in a folder" Great so I can't search them and the attachments disappear.

Ugh emails.

Save your e-mails in an archive or whatever, but delete the attachments and store them in a shared server or something.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

Xandu posted:

Save your e-mails in an archive or whatever, but delete the attachments and store them in a shared server or something.

Archiving is disabled, and largely I do save the attachments. But the powers that be also want the attachments with the emails in case we get a litigation hold.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

catspleen posted:

Archiving is disabled, and largely I do save the attachments. But the powers that be also want the attachments with the emails in case we get a litigation hold.

Oy...

Yeah in that case they need to up your storage limit. Not a lot you can do with a limitation like that.

My company's email is automatically deleted in 90 days unless you explicitly save it in a folder that tops out at 1 gig, which today we found out was recently changed to only save things for a year instead of indefinitely.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

Xandu posted:

Oy...

Yeah in that case they need to up your storage limit. Not a lot you can do with a limitation like that.

My company's email is automatically deleted in 90 days unless you explicitly save it in a folder that tops out at 1 gig, which today we found out was recently changed to only save things for a year instead of indefinitely.

I got my inbox expanded from standard 300mb to 3gb. We also have 90 day expiration (unless you are subject to litigation hold) which applies to anything In the inbox. They keep talking about rolling out enterprise vault(?) that will solve all the problems, but it always seems to be a year out.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The shared department drive has stuff on it from 1997.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

The shared department drive has stuff on it from 1997.

At my last job, there was a folder on the shared drive call "DESIGN FROM MACS" which was a bunch of Adobe Illustrator files of maps and plan/profile engineering docs. Most of these were from like 1990-1993, after the department put a line item in a bid that the vendor had to buy the department a computer so that they could view the specified deliverables.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've found that IT will change their tune real loving quick when the C-level crowd come down on them like a ton of bricks over stupid email policies that cause legal nightmares in the midst of a lawsuit.

On a related note, everyone in my office has been ordered to never, ever delete an email (outside of obvious spam and listserv stuff).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xibanya posted:

I want to work somewhere better but even though I think I'm good at what I do, only have 1 year of QA experience so I doubt I'd make it past HR.

You would be surprised, ESPECIALLY if you're willing to relocate. I'm not kidding when I say that this industry is starved for good QA engineers. If you're willing to move to the NYC area, PM me and I can try to put you in contact with some folks. If you're not, you should at least float your resume with more intelligent firms in your area, and make sure that you interview them as they interview you.

catspleen posted:

I keep nearly every email I send or receive, with the exception of list serves and other junk, so does everyone in my group (some of our document retention guidelines indicate some records should be kept 5-50 years after the project is done). IT complains and says a pst isn't supported if it is over a gig, so recently I have been splitting my emails into "mm/yyyy Project" pst files. This was after I noticed doing it by year wasn't cutting it anymore because I had 11GB in one of them.

Ugh emails.

Yeah, splitting your stuff is pretty much the only way to do it with Outlook. You really ought to split up that 11GB file if possible, since it really does dramatically affect Outlook.

Convince your company to move to GAFYD :unsmigghh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

catspleen posted:

In that case, you just tell [insert highest possible person you can realistically raise the issue to here] that IT is harassing you with policy that, if you followed, could gently caress the company over massively in the event of a suit. Soon enough the complaints from IT will coincidentally vanish. :v:

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Isn't the point of deleting emails after X days specifically so they don't exist in the event of a lawsuit?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Volmarias posted:

and make sure that you interview them as they interview you.

Seriously this right here. Interviews are two-way streets, and it's in the best interest of the business to treat them that way if they want to keep you over the long term.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I think I am a bad worker. I got a big earful about being too trusting yesterday. My problem is that I trust people too much to do their jobs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

asur posted:

Isn't the point of deleting emails after X days specifically so they don't exist in the event of a lawsuit?

Yes, although not having zillions of emails helps with storage and performance costs too.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

E. Nevermind, not important

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 21, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I think I am a bad worker. I got a big earful about being too trusting yesterday. My problem is that I trust people too much to do their jobs.

Trust, but check.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

asur posted:

A problem arises when you're a consultant to the party being sued and they say something like "well OD told us to do it that way about three years ago." If I don't have the emails proving I said to not do stupid things, it's my word against theirs and now I'm a much bigger part of the lawsuit.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Every lovely micromanager on the planet posted:

You trust people too much to do their jobs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I had a super micromanaging project manager who'd try to do everyone's jobs for them (design and engineering) and royally hosed poo poo up. He'd go on trips to check on subcontractors and not take us with him "because the budget wouldn't allow more than 1 person to go" and gently caress around with stuff and we wouldn't find out about it till it was in production and then when the customer was like "hey wtf this isn't what I approved" he'd blame the actual designers and engineers who had no idea he dicked around with our design till it was too late.

Now I work at a company where the project managers actually stay within their defined roles (I only interact with mine maybe once every couple weeks in a "hey how's the schedule looking" meeting or when the customer comes for a visit). It's pretty grand.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.

asur posted:

Depends on the industry. In finance, Sarbanes-Oxley requires 7-year retention. HR depts have similar rules and then there's litigation holds that can come at any time.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
In the USA you have to keep your tax records for at least 3 years. We don't save all emails from Microsoft exchange (like internal ones) but we archive everything related to clients' returns, like emails from the client and notices from state agencies.

Everything post 2008 is kept in a server but anything from before that lives in huge excel spreadsheets. These spreadsheets (one for each year!) almost never have to be accessed but every now and then a VIP client just has to have something related to their account from 2005 or something. The spreadsheets take a million years to open up and are fascinating. Apparently the former CFO of the company was not aware of the existence of databases or SQL and basically designed a massive MSSQL-esque excel file, riddled with hidden formulas and crazy VBA. I've only ever opened these monsters a few times but they're every bit as :stonk: as you might imagine.

The CFO was like that Cherokee blacksmith who was illiterate and decided to invent his own alphabet and taught himself to read with it, except if the alphabet took 10 minutes just to show up and then when it did kicked you in the balls.

The CFO and CEO were a husband-wife team and made out like bandits after the company was sold. I've been to their fancy new mansion on Mt. Bonnell twice now for semi-mandatory company functions. The parent company is terrible, but the house it bought is excellent.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I'm not a sales guy, but sometimes I help out with business development and proposal work and I feel like it's the worst of both worlds. I have to deal with all the pressure of putting together the proposal and everything, but unlike the sales guy, I don't get any commission if that 7 figure contract comes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I"m taking up competitive drink as the heater outside my office is broken again (my office is beside rollup metal door) but my biggest thing is one of the clerks has hosed up all the purchase orders which means everything that's been purchased since Dec. is going to the wrong locations.