Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Thanks everyone for the tips so far

orange sky posted:

I highly recommend biking in (and visiting) Lisbon right now, a lot of the roads in the city have been redesigned for bikes and it should be easy to rent one. For more information on Lisbon you can check out my other posts in this thread (plus, it's cheap as hell if you live pretty much anywhere else but Romania or Bulgaria). The downside is that since it's so hot right now there's a shitload of tourists everywhere.

I wanted to but I don't have enough time, next time I will for sure. If I wasn't going to Madeira to visit my grandfather's hometown I would have definitely gone to Lisbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I hope you have a great time! Can't really help you with any of the other destinations :) have fun!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I'm going to Greece for a week in the 3rd week of October and we're doing a few days in Athens and then going to the islands.

Does anybody have a specific island they love? We're not really interested in clubbing, late nights or crows, but good beaches, some surfing and nice food are definitely needed. So far we're looking at Rhodes or Kos, but happy to hear from experienced people.

The only requirement is that it needs to have a (small) airport - we don't have enough time for ferries etc.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Santorini is pretty incredible, and by the 3rd week of October it won't be swarming with tourists except in Fira, when the cruise ship daytrippers stop there. So, avoid Fira during the day but otherwise it should be fine. The season in Santorini stops like first or second week of November (I was there a few years ago then) and holy poo poo it is dead after the end of the season. We had like 3 days there pre-season ending and 3 days after and like half of the island had closed, overnight.

Also the ferry isn't that bad, you go to Piraeus at like 6am, and you arrive in Santorini like 8 (?) hours later and it's a nice trip and view.

No idea about surfing. Is there really surfing anywhere in the Aegean? Also rent a car or 4x4 to get around. Public transit sucks and the taxis are a cartel and basically only found in Fira. We went to an amazing restaurant in Emporio on the main square... but now I can't find it easily on Google Maps.

I've only been to a couple Greek islands, but I can guarantee none are remotely as geologically impressive as Santorini. YMMV as I like unique geology, but the natural beauty of being in a truly massive volcanic caldera was stunning and even with high expectations for Santorini I was like 'holy poo poo'. I remembered flying over Santorini a few years prior to that on a flight to Israel and noticed "wow that looks like a crazy rear end island" from 10,000 meters (I didn't know what it was). Coming in by ferry was incredible, you really appreciate how massive and sheer the cliffs are. We flew on the way back, but I was glad we took the ferry on the way in.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Looking at coming to Germany during my winter break from school for our honeymoon. We've decided we want to go somewhere that we can eat, drink, and ski, and it seems like Germany can fit that niche pretty well.

We'd be flying into Munich and then renting cars, taking trains as much as possible to get where we need to go.

List of things we want to do/see so far:

1) Check out a few beer gardens and go to some monk breweries, if available.
2) Go to Dachau for a half-day trip
3) Go skiiing (not sure where, but it seems like there are places fairly close by that should be accommodating for this)
4) Eat awesome food everywhere we go.
5) Maybe visit Prague for a day or two
6) Salzburg maybe?
7) Visit lots of little shops

We'd be looking at about 2 weeks total time, probably try and ski 2-3 days perhaps? Maybe a bit more if time allows.

I'm not too sure how much our travel is going to be hindered due to the weather in mid-December (we'd be staying over Christmas), so that might throw a wrench in things.

My fiance has been to Prague and Germany before, though she was only in Munich for a day.

Definitely a work-in-progress on our arrangements, but some general questions...

-I've read in this thread about carrying cash. Would this be mainly for smaller stores and restaurants? I would imagine ski resorts would take credit. Is ApplePay viable?
-What's the viability of Airbnb in Germany? It seems like this might be a cheaper/better option than hotels, but I'm open to hearing from others on this.
-Is eating with your hands ok? Some sites say absolutely not, others say pretzels/pizza/etc are ok to use hands with.
-Is an International Driver's Permit required/recommended? I'm coming from the US.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 19, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
You can use your credit card anywhere which is what I would recommend or buy one of those visa gift cards and throw 500$ on a few of em and pull it out of a real banks ATM when you get there. I did Cologne and Frankfurt and didn't need cash for anything I wouldn't need cash for in America i.e- walking around a fair or farmers market or similar cash. Everything else I just put on my card case my CC doesn't have foreign transaction fees.

E: AIRBNB - we did that for our inital 2 days and our final 3 days there and it was fine....airbnb handles your currency conversion so prices as are displayed and the people I reached out to were super helpful and very kind. Obviously that's my experience but it strikes me as very similar to America. Use places with multiple reviews, book responsive hosts. I personally never book any place before I speak to the host and explain our best estimated time of arrival in a 2 hour window and hammer out a plan to exchange keys if necessary and that's in the states. Would recommend speaking to host and having a plan cause lol you don't wanna be up shits creek without a paddle in a foreign place you don't know anyone

I don't know what is up with the hands thing but I walked around stuffing my face with sausage (no homo) and snacks and Berliners and french fries (french frys are big there I'd why they put them with everything) and poo poo the whole time and no one said anything to me? Don't eat with your hands at a steakhouse....outdoor market? All good. I wd be curious if this is a cultural thing I just missed.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 20, 2017

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

nwiniwn posted:

We'd be flying into Munich and then renting cars, taking trains as much as possible to get where we need to go.

We'd be looking at about 2 weeks total time, probably try and ski 2-3 days perhaps? Maybe a bit more if time allows.

I'm not too sure how much our travel is going to be hindered due to the weather in mid-December (we'd be staying over Christmas), so that might throw a wrench in things.

-I've read in this thread about carrying cash. Would this be mainly for smaller stores and restaurants? I would imagine ski resorts would take credit. Is ApplePay viable?
-What's the viability of Airbnb in Germany? It seems like this might be a cheaper/better option than hotels, but I'm open to hearing from others on this.
-Is eating with your hands ok? Some sites say absolutely not, others say pretzels/pizza/etc are ok to use hands with.
-Is an International Driver's Permit required/recommended? I'm coming from the US.

Weather hindrance due to mid-December: Between very little (minor time delays if driving) to not at all (trains). The main travel delays in winter are if you go through airports of cities that freak out if there's even a single snowflake, e.g. London. No idea how Munich is, but I've had or seen a weather-related travel delay in Zurich or Geneva.

AirBnB is great. Use it everywhere you stay longer than 1 night. It works everywhere in densely populated parts of Europe. The room quality on AirBnB is so much better than hotels on a dollar-per-dollar basis, and it's nice to be able to cook breakfast or dinner or whatever sometimes instead of being forced to go out every single night.

Eating with your hands is definitely OK. The only thing I can think of food-related is that people in Europe do not walk while eating (except ice cream). i.e. everyone always sits down or stands still when eating a hot dog or pizza or kebab while I guess Americanadians will still walk around. Sausages are not normally eaten with hands? That's the only thing I can think of where this might be a cultural difference.

The international driver's permit 'requirement' warnings are basically a scam run by AAA if you're going to a country that uses the same alphabet as you (i.e. Latin) and your license has a photo of you on it. And even then, I've never had a problem in Greece or the Arab world although I hear there are a couple countries that are very particular about wanting it (UAE and Japan).

Renting a small car will probably end up being about the same price as taking trains between places. Parking is easy in Munich and Salzburg, but even so I wouldn't rent a car if you'll be spending most of your time in the cities, or even if you're going to Dachau as a daytrip I'd just take the local train.

Credit cards work in most fixed business locations BUT many places have a minimum purchase amount to use one, e.g. maybe €10. Also many smaller businesses like kebab shops do not accept cards. Just (a) make sure you always have like €50 on you, and (b) that your credit card company knows you'll be traveling. Worst case scenario you eat at a restaurant and don't have money and can't pay with card, one of you has to run to the closest ATM.

ApplePay exists in theory here in Switzerland, but I've never seen anyone use it nor tried to set it up myself. Edit: Also ApplePay does not even seem to exist at all in Germany but Apple is "in negotiations".

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 20, 2017

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

nwiniwn posted:

Looking at coming to Germany during my winter break from school for our honeymoon. We've decided we want to go somewhere that we can eat, drink, and ski, and it seems like Germany can fit that niche pretty well.

List of things we want to do/see so far:

1) Check out a few beer gardens and go to some monk breweries, if available.
2) Go to Dachau for a half-day trip
3) Go skiiing (not sure where, but it seems like there are places fairly close by that should be accommodating for this)
4) Eat awesome food everywhere we go.
5) Maybe visit Prague for a day or two
6) Salzburg maybe?
7) Visit lots of little shops

My fiance has been to Prague and Germany before, though she was only in Munich for a day.

Definitely a work-in-progress on our arrangements, but some general questions...

Honestly dude, unless you're planning to go to out of the way places, just stick with trains and buses. I did a similar trip a few years back (Munich, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Vienna, Cesky Krumlov, Prague, Munich) over 3 weeks at Christmas and it was great. Though we didn't ski. One thing to note is that in Germany in particular, literally everything is closed on Christmas Eve (24th) as that's when most people actually celebrate Christmas with their big meal and so on. We were in Vienna and had to book a place several days in advance so that we didn't starve :v:

Airbnb is definitely viable, though my experience is that they tend not to be located quite as centrally as hotels. The only other drawback is that sometimes you'll have a place where you arrive at 10am on the train, but can only check in between 4 and 6pm - unlike a hotel, you can't just drop your bags in a saferoom and go exploring. But it's definitely great to have a kitchenette to cook simple meals occasionally.

Carry some cash, but generally speaking you can use credit cards everywhere you'd expect to use a credit card in the States. Just check that your card issuer isn't going to slug you with foreign transaction fees, overseas withdrawal fees etc. And if they offer you a choice of paying in Euros or your home currency, always pick Euros. If you pick your home currency, they give you a super-lovely exchange rate and pocket the difference.

Just curious why you're asking about eating with your hands? It's absolutely fine for anything you would normally eat with your hands.

For the IDP, I've rented cars now in Spain, UK, Netherlands, Belgium and Switzerland and although I've got an IDP it's never been necessary (I'm Australian so my license is in English and has my picture). It won't hurt to have it, but maybe check with your car rental place first.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Awesome advice from everyone so far-thank you! I'll definitely follow up with some more questions, but since everyone is asking about the eating with hands things...it's just something that came up on a bunch of websites after googling "tips for traveling in Germany". Glad to hear it's more normal than I thought.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Mid December is a bit early for snow-sure skiing, unless you're hitting up a high-altitude resort, preferably one with a glacier.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

spoof posted:

Mid December is a bit early for snow-sure skiing, unless you're hitting up a high-altitude resort, preferably one with a glacier.

Yeah, that's also a good point. The last two years December was like, suntanning weather all throughout the Alps until the first or second week of January. I spent December in a ski resort near Gstaad and we went on a hike. It was, no joke, like 15°C during the day at 1100m where we were staying. The year before was similar. Other times the first snows hit in December, but it's really hit or miss. In any case 2 or 3 days in the Alps could be nice even if there's no snow. Ischgl gets high enough that you're guaranteed snow by Christmas, but it's also kind of out of your way. Fieberbrunn is closer on the way to Salzburg, but it doesn't get that high (2000m). I haven't spent much time in the Austrian Alps, so take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hintertux is only a 2 hour drive from Munich and is open 7/365, there was still plenty of snow there last October when I went. So there's always somewhere to ski you might just have to take three gondolas to get there.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Junior G-man posted:

I'm going to Greece for a week in the 3rd week of October and we're doing a few days in Athens and then going to the islands.

Does anybody have a specific island they love? We're not really interested in clubbing, late nights or crows, but good beaches, some surfing and nice food are definitely needed. So far we're looking at Rhodes or Kos, but happy to hear from experienced people.

The only requirement is that it needs to have a (small) airport - we don't have enough time for ferries etc.

I was in Rhodes at the end of June and it fits all the things you described. The old town is just amazing, well preserved and full of life by day. Not too crowded unless you visit the clubs street by the new town or go to Faliraki. For beaches, Lindos - St. Pauls Beach was amazing (1 hour bus from the city center) and the main beach by the city is pretty decent, too. If you like history, there is an Acropolis at Lindos and the Knights Hospitalier castle and surrounding buildings are really cool and you can do everything in couple of days.

The food is really good, there is a very famous restaurant called Tamam and there is usually a line in front of it and a reservation would be nice but it is just magical.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.tr/Restaurant_Review-g635613-d1163671-Reviews-Tamam-Rhodes_Town_Rhodes_Dodecanese_South_Aegean.html

There is an also semi-secret bar by the castle called Macao, which is usually frequented by locals and the ambience is just great. The music is not invasive, people dress up and the cocktails are pretty good (ranging from 9 to 13 Euros) and it is good kind of crowded (everyone chilling and not getting DANGER ZONE drunk).

If you feel the need to get some clubbing, Faliraki or the New Town club street got you covered but I doubt you or anyone who isn't a 17 year old horny British teenager could enjoy that. There was a famous club called Colorado and I went there on Friday night. It was rather empty-ish but they had a live music band (a very rare thing in Greece, as they claim) played 90's - 00's pop songs which was fun.

I haven't been to Santorini but also heard many great things about it. Kos is like 5 hour ferry from Rhodes but I dunno if it has an airport. Rhodes has an airport and the ferry takes like 12 hours from Athens (which was fun for me, lying down by the cruise ship pool and chilling with other tourists).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Galewolf posted:

I was in Rhodes at the end of June and it fits all the things you described. The old town is just amazing, well preserved and full of life by day. Not too crowded unless you visit the clubs street by the new town or go to Faliraki. For beaches, Lindos - St. Pauls Beach was amazing (1 hour bus from the city center) and the main beach by the city is pretty decent, too. If you like history, there is an Acropolis at Lindos and the Knights Hospitalier castle and surrounding buildings are really cool and you can do everything in couple of days.

The food is really good, there is a very famous restaurant called Tamam and there is usually a line in front of it and a reservation would be nice but it is just magical.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.tr/Restaurant_Review-g635613-d1163671-Reviews-Tamam-Rhodes_Town_Rhodes_Dodecanese_South_Aegean.html

There is an also semi-secret bar by the castle called Macao, which is usually frequented by locals and the ambience is just great. The music is not invasive, people dress up and the cocktails are pretty good (ranging from 9 to 13 Euros) and it is good kind of crowded (everyone chilling and not getting DANGER ZONE drunk).

If you feel the need to get some clubbing, Faliraki or the New Town club street got you covered but I doubt you or anyone who isn't a 17 year old horny British teenager could enjoy that. There was a famous club called Colorado and I went there on Friday night. It was rather empty-ish but they had a live music band (a very rare thing in Greece, as they claim) played 90's - 00's pop songs which was fun.

I haven't been to Santorini but also heard many great things about it. Kos is like 5 hour ferry from Rhodes but I dunno if it has an airport. Rhodes has an airport and the ferry takes like 12 hours from Athens (which was fun for me, lying down by the cruise ship pool and chilling with other tourists).

It's kind of a mixture of food styles, but Dromos on Papagou make really nice sandwiches and the owners were incredibly lovely. I'd recommend that for a lovely lunch or some such, especially since it's close to the Nea Agora, Bus Station and Old Town.

Off Ippoton, there is also a small boutique hotel called Avalon with very nice owners and really rather brilliant Baklava.

I think Rhodes is a really lovely place and would definitely fit Junior G-man's bill.

edit: vvvv :toot:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 22, 2017

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Many thanks for the recommendations! We've decided on going to Rhodes and found what looks to be a really nice hotel in the Old Town. Out of season prices are amazing.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm heading to Germany soon for 10ish days. I'll be spending roughly ~4 days in Munich, a day in Weimar, and 5 or so days in Berlin. Munich/Berlin I'll be in hostels (Wombats/Jetpak Alternative, respectively).

I think I hosed up by not setting up an international plan for my phone, so I'll probably be turning it off and looking to get a burner or euro-sim card when I get there. advice on that is welcome.

Aside from that, I'd like advice on the #1 best things to do or eat these days in Munich/Berlin.

Other factoids: I'm a 25 y/o dude, have studied german a bit so I think I can pick up some more Deutsch if I can find some people to actually speak it to me. I'm also curious how dangerous Berlin is in terms of muggings and how to best avoid that other than obvious stuff (don't be a target).

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

an skeleton posted:

I'm heading to Germany soon for 10ish days. I'll be spending roughly ~4 days in Munich, a day in Weimar, and 5 or so days in Berlin. Munich/Berlin I'll be in hostels (Wombats/Jetpak Alternative, respectively).

I think I hosed up by not setting up an international plan for my phone, so I'll probably be turning it off and looking to get a burner or euro-sim card when I get there. advice on that is welcome.

Aside from that, I'd like advice on the #1 best things to do or eat these days in Munich/Berlin.

Other factoids: I'm a 25 y/o dude, have studied german a bit so I think I can pick up some more Deutsch if I can find some people to actually speak it to me. I'm also curious how dangerous Berlin is in terms of muggings and how to best avoid that other than obvious stuff (don't be a target).

It's the rabid deer and aggressive boars you really have to worry about.

Where to eat and what to do depends strongly on your interests and (in the latter case) whether you like museums or not, for example.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm definitely down for museums. I'll probably spend a night or two clubbing/barring but I don't really want the trip to be too hedonistic.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

an skeleton posted:

I'm definitely down for museums. I'll probably spend a night or two clubbing/barring but I don't really want the trip to be too hedonistic.

Depending on the type of museum, for technology, the "Deutsches Museum" in Munich is really neat, has a Farraday Cage demonstration and all sorts of other things in it, and it's easily within walking distance of the city centre. The BWM Museum is nice if you like cars and is also an interesting building in and of itself. Gallery-wise, the trias of "Alte Pinakothek", "Neue Pinakothek" and "Pinakothek der Moderne" are all very interesting depending on your preferred era. Otherwise, there are the usual suspects such as the English Garden, beer & beergardens etc.

In Berlin, the usual suspects are the museums on the Museumsinsel as well as the various history-related museums (Checkpoint Charlie, Topographie des Terrors, Holocaust memorial, Jüdisches Museum, Deutsches Historisches Museum) as well as the Museum für Naturkunde (Museum for Natural Sciences). Of special note is that the altar in the Pergamonmuseum is (mostly?) closed. Taking in some of the clashes of architecture and approach between the East and West Germany is also interesting (e.g. walking a loop from the Reichstag past the Potsdamer Platz, Gendarmenmarkt, Leipziger Straße, Alexanderplatz, Unter den Linden back to the Reichstag).

Food-wise, I liked "Knofi" in Kreuzberg, which is basically Turkish/Italian fusion and, being part of the Bergmannkiez, right where a lot of hip things are happening in Kreuzberg. For fine dining in either place, others probably have better hints.

Regarding Weimar, I guess Goethe/Schiller/Herzogin Amalie Bibliothek/Bauhaus Museum are the usual destinations, unless you want to go Buchenwald.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

There's an exhibition on propaganda in the 21st century on in Munich, which is interesting but not cheery. It's in the modern art museum but the part of it that's in a subway station.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I'm headed to Poland soon for 2.5 weeks with my wife. We'll have 4-5 days each in Krakow, Warsaw, Gdansk, and Zakopane and we're not renting a car.

Any poles or travellers have tips on good beer in large quantities, day hiking/biking/floating with good nature and castles, or tasty food?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Thanks for the great suggestions, will check out as much of that as possible. One more thing -- I would love to be able to find some weights to lift. I have a 24 hour fitness membership but I don't think they have European locations... Is there any cheap way to work out with weights in Germany or am I stuck with good ol fashioned calisthenics?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
On my way to Amsterdam, Madrid, Prague, Kiev. Any goons in any of those areas going to be around 25 aug - 17 sep and want to meet up? Drinks are on me!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

Regarding Weimar, I guess Goethe/Schiller/Herzogin Amalie Bibliothek/Bauhaus Museum are the usual destinations, unless you want to go Buchenwald.
Pretty much, yeah.

Best food I've had in Weimar was at Pho Co (Vietnamese) or Franz & Willi (hipstery burger joint, the burgers are great though). San (Korean) is another good option. El Nino is alright (very Europeanized Tex-Mex, but good food all the same). There's a sushi bar near the Bauhaus University library but I don't know that I'd outright recommend them. Or you could do the traditional German cuisine thing (Schwarzbierhaus, I guess?) since Berlin should have plenty of Vietnamese, hipster burgers and sushi on its own but Pho Co is very good.

Actually that reminds me: there's a great sake/tea house named Cocoro on Mehringdamm in Berlin that serves a limited selection of Japanese food, and a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place named Chaparro near Görlitzer Bahnhof, both well worth a visit.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Or you could do the traditional German cuisine thing (Schwarzbierhaus, I guess?)

Scharfe Ecke is supposed to be really nice if you want to try traditional Thuringian cuisine. Seconding Pho Co and Franz & Willi!

If you want to visit things slightly outside of Weimar get a day ticket for the buses (5,10€). At quarter to, every hour, line 6 takes you 10km northwest to Buchenwald memorial site (you can see the huge bell tower on the hill from everywhere in town). Every full hour line 1 takes you to the Baroque Castle Belvedere 4km south where you can stroll in the nice landscape garden and listen to music students practice. All buses leave from Goetheplatz in the town center.

For anything else you don't need a bus ticket since Weimar is much, much tinier than its cultural influence might make you think.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 25, 2017

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
So my boyfriend and I are visiting family up in Huddersfield on a Saturday next month, and booked to spend the Saturday night / Sunday day in Leeds because I seemed to remember someone recommending it recently in this thread as a cool city to visit and giving a few recommendations as to what to see/do. Turns out I was thinking of Liverpool. :pseudo:

So, anyone have any recommendations for restaurants and activities in Leeds?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Chocolate Milk posted:

So my boyfriend and I are visiting family up in Huddersfield on a Saturday next month, and booked to spend the Saturday night / Sunday day in Leeds because I seemed to remember someone recommending it recently in this thread as a cool city to visit and giving a few recommendations as to what to see/do. Turns out I was thinking of Liverpool. :pseudo:

So, anyone have any recommendations for restaurants and activities in Leeds?

I have no recommendations, but say hello to Felix the Huddersfield Station Cat for me!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I asked about where to eat in Norway and other Scandinavian countries a few weeks ago, but I was hoping someone could give suggestions for Iceland.

We're going to travel the Ring Road over the course of 9 days, but we don't really have much of a plan in the way of mealtimes. It doesn't have to be fancy; just good places to have quick lunch as we travel (dinner will probably be at the places we're staying).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The gas station at Skaftafell does good burgers at a decent (for Iceland) price. Don't be afraid of eating at the gas station. Also don't be afraid because you have no other options in the area haha. At least, a few years ago there was nowhere else.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

HookShot posted:

Don't be afraid of eating at the gas station.

At _that_ gas station, or at gas stations in general? In the Philippines they can be kind of gross so I want to be explicit about this.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Argue posted:

I asked about where to eat in Norway and other Scandinavian countries a few weeks ago, but I was hoping someone could give suggestions for Iceland.

We're going to travel the Ring Road over the course of 9 days, but we don't really have much of a plan in the way of mealtimes. It doesn't have to be fancy; just good places to have quick lunch as we travel (dinner will probably be at the places we're staying).

In Reykjavik check out the old fish restaurant in the harbor. Unfortunately I don't remember the name but they had whale meat and were reasonably priced for Iceland.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Argue posted:

Tryggvaskali in Selfoss is excellent, but you'll might have to wait to get a seat as it's quite popular. I also liked Hraun (Olafsvik/Snaefellsnes), Saeta Svinid (Reykjavik), and Humarhöfnin (Hofn) though those three were a little less remarkable. We ate in restaurants a bunch, but it's expensive and a lot of them were pretty mediocre.

Don't go to the bullshit "world's most famous hotdog stand" in Reykjavik, it is not worth the wait, it's a loving normal hotdog. Food at gas stations is edible but they're never going to be good cuisine, but it's definitely better than starving to death or eating pringles for dinner. I ate probably 15 hot dogs across Iceland, and they were all identical to the hotdogs you would get for $10 at a minor league baseball game in the US. (They're also very small, you'd probably want two.)

E: If you want to eat something unusual but don't want to contribute to the extinction of puffins, greenland sharks, or whales, then go for the foal. You'll have to ask or get an Icelandic menu as apparently foreigners are more put off by eating baby horse than they are of eating threatened species. (Actually I think minke is OK to eat, but puffins have had a huge colony collapse the last decade and greenland sharks are thought to be dwindling... and so loving nauseating that even Bear Grylls gags on it.)

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 1, 2017

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

don't eat a whale :(

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Saladman posted:

E: If you want to eat something unusual but don't want to contribute to the extinction of puffins, greenland sharks, or whales, then go for the foal. You'll have to ask or get an Icelandic menu as apparently foreigners are more put off by eating baby horse than they are of eating threatened species. (Actually I think minke is OK to eat, but puffins have had a huge colony collapse the last decade and greenland sharks are thought to be dwindling... and so loving nauseating that even Bear Grylls gags on it.)

The whale meat you'd be offered in Iceland would be minke whale. Wikipedia lists them as Least Concern.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Argue posted:

At _that_ gas station, or at gas stations in general? In the Philippines they can be kind of gross so I want to be explicit about this.

I didn't eat at any others so I don't know, but that gas station is definitely fine. They also had pizza and stuff, but the burgers were definitely really good.

Also seconding the famous hot dog place in Reykjavik not being worth it. It's definitely a completely normal hot dog and I do not understand what all the fuss is about. We went there one day when there was no line and I still felt like it wasn't worth the 2 minute wait.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doctor Malaver posted:

the old fish restaurant
I'm more amused by this than I perhaps should be.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Doctor Malaver posted:

In Reykjavik check out the old fish restaurant in the harbor. Unfortunately I don't remember the name but they had whale meat and were reasonably priced for Iceland.

The one that I went to was Sægreifinn. It was lovely, and cheap with a bit of a fast food approach to minke whale. Quite good though, and it was recommended to me by a bunch of people.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The gas station in Vik has top notch kjotsupa (sorry if I butchered that) with a free refill.

Cafe Loki in Reykjavik is good and relatively inexpensive if you want to try some more traditional Icelandic food.

Don't eat whales they're super intelligent and social critters. I think the only reason they still serve it is for tourists.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hello,

My trip to Austria and Italy is coming up and I had a couple questions, one specific and one general.

The specific one is about taking a day trip from Vienna to Bratislava. Has anyone here been to the latter? It sounds pretty interesting, and besides the train (which only takes one hour) you can take a boat there on the Danube, which sounds really awesome. I'm also wondering if I'd run into major language issues if I went there (I certainly don't speak Slovak!).

My general question is about protecting my phone when I'm on this trip. I'm worried about losing it, or perhaps it being stolen which would screw me over completely. Would something like a lanyard that goes through the phone case be a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

I'm going to the French Riviera next week (Juan-les-Pins, and staying near the train station) I'm looking for tips on nice sites to visit, currently looking at daytrips to Monte-Carlo and Grasse, Nice & Antibes are obviously on the list.

Went to JPL last year and loved it, so I've been briefly in Antibes and Nice before. I have already been to Îles de Lérins (île ste Marguerite, highly recommended), The Picasso museum, archaeological museum in Antibes, and the Chagall museum in Nice.
Would love restaurant recommendations and cool things to see/do.