Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

Street Soldier posted:

Is it necessary to readjust the neck or anything when putting on heavier strings? I'm going from I think 10-48 to 11-52.
Probably. Increased tension will likely require a truss rod adjustment. And you may need to file the slots on your nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

DeathSandwich posted:

Out of curiosity more so than actually wanting to buy new kit I probably wouldn't use: What sort of gear would you need to get a sound similar to Freakthickness?

Probably looking for a Maestro Fuzz and single coils. Though I think he uses a Muff now.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
This was a few pages back but what's the deal with Tokai and the US? Some lawsuit from Gibson and/or Fender?

I picked up a ~300€ Tokai vintage strat when I went out to buy strings half a year ago or so and it's absurdly good for the price. The pickups are kind of meh but otherwise it's a fantastic instrument.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

This was a few pages back but what's the deal with Tokai and the US? Some lawsuit from Gibson and/or Fender?

Yup.

Though at one point Tokai had a brand with altered headstocks and Bacchus currently does. No idea why we don't see those in the states, but if I had to guess it would be due to potential lawsuits by Gibson for the body shape or people just don't like Les Pauls without the open book headstock.

Street Soldier
Oct 28, 2005

An egotistical being like myself can't be allowed to live...

DeathSandwich posted:

Out of curiosity more so than actually wanting to buy new kit I probably wouldn't use: What sort of gear would you need to get a sound similar to Freakthickness?

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/350-the-black-keys-dan-auerbach-guitar-gear-rig
http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/the-gear-of-dan-auerbach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAt70OcyTN4

Some kind of combination of these devices.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got offered to trade my lightly modded Squire VM Tele for a PRS SE Santana.

Do I become that PRS guy? I love the one I picked up last night. Couldn't wait to get home and jam on it.

Financially, it looks like a much better deal my way.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Sockington posted:

Got offered to trade my lightly modded Squire VM Tele for a PRS SE Santana.

Do I become that PRS guy? I love the one I picked up last night. Couldn't wait to get home and jam on it.

Financially, it looks like a much better deal my way.

Yes. Yes. Join us.
Become one of us.

(Be prepared to change the pickups, all PRS pickups except 58/08 and 59/09 suck)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Yes. Yes. Join us.
Become one of us.

(Be prepared to change the pickups, all PRS pickups except 58/08 and 59/09 suck)

Since you're a bit of a PRS guru in my mind, I'm thinking this bridge isn't stock either? GIS doesn't turn up too many single cuts with the intonate-able bridge. I just wondered given the upgraded tuners and SD pickup. The guy I got it from was obviously flipping it as his room was filled with pointy Ed Roman :v: kind of things.

I have to say, it is one of the most comfortable bridges to palm mute with all those nicely rounded edges. :allears:

EDIT: I guess I was looking at the newer SE stuff that doesn't have individual saddles. oops.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 16, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's stock for SEs, as far as I know.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If I start wanting a PRS I'm going to get myself banned from this site. That bridge looks so comfy.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Sockington posted:

Since you're a bit of a PRS guru in my mind, I'm thinking this bridge isn't stock either? GIS doesn't turn up too many single cuts with the intonate-able bridge. I just wondered given the upgraded tuners and SD pickup. The guy I got it from was obviously flipping it as his room was filled with pointy Ed Roman :v: kind of things.

I have to say, it is one of the most comfortable bridges to palm mute with all those nicely rounded edges. :allears:

EDIT: I guess I was looking at the newer SE stuff that doesn't have individual saddles. oops.

Yup, those are special order/build-to-order option bridges. They're not at all common but a lot of people will upgrade those tailpieces. I've owned several stop tail PRS and I never have, people gripe about the lack of intonation but I've never had a big issue with them. It's funny, people complain about the lack of intonation on the PRS but I've yet to hear anyone complain about the R4 from Gibson.

Not a PRS guru, I've just owned and still own several, I dig em and enjoy playing them a lot. They're quite unfairly maligned for a number of reasons but, you dig what you dig for whatever reason.

Kilometers Davis posted:

If I start wanting a PRS I'm going to get myself banned from this site. That bridge looks so comfy.
Oh? Should I send pics of the McCarty semi-hollow tomorrow along with the pics of the LP Studio? :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Pics in the from the trade guy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's either not legit or a really, really early one?? I could've sworn the SE Santanas had the same body silhouette as the Maryland ones.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

That's either not legit or a really, really early one?? I could've sworn the SE Santanas had the same body silhouette as the Maryland ones.

Some :google: gives me this for sale ad.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Guess it's just old as poo poo, then! Still probably pretty solid.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Kilometers Davis posted:

Now, that's comfy. (Vox SSC33, one piece, cast aluminum.)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

These are pretty similar to the vox ones, but they're a bit higher mass and a little smoother. Only wish it actually strung through the body and took anything over a .048 more easily.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Anyone have any tips for widening a neck pocket? I just picked up a new neck for a pawn shop Strat clone I bought a while back, and the new one is about a millimeter wider than the old one. Sandpaper and patience? Belt sander and Bondo? Table router and 12 year old Scotch?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What's the body made out of? If it's a softer wood I'd just sand but if it's something hard, it might worth setting op a router jig.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
I've used a Dremel tool to reshape a pocket. Not suggesting it on anything you care about.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

It's pretty soft. I really don't think it'd take me that long to sand it out by hand, but I don't care so much about it that I'd be afraid to hit it with the Dremel either. This is just a bunch of cheap parts I'm messing around with and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I screw something up. I guess I'll try it manually for a while, and if progress seems too slow, I'll bust out the power tools. :)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A millimeter of soft wood won't take too long, just make sure you stay even on both sides.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
And if you gently caress up shims are cheap/free.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

muike posted:

These are pretty similar to the vox ones, but they're a bit higher mass and a little smoother. Only wish it actually strung through the body and took anything over a .048 more easily.

What's that, muike?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It is a Gibraltar Plus as used on the Ibanez RGA121, 321F, and MBM1 (I think)

Fortunately they're also cheap as dirt, since I needed to replace one on my guitar and it was like 30 bucks shipped for a custom manufactured Gotoh part.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I think even a full millimeter might have been an overestimate, because 15 minutes with a small sanding block seems to have done the trick. Still have the fine tuning to do, but the drat thing definitely fits in the pocket now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Reminder that Santana's got the worst tone in history (these days).

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I've searched around, I haven't been able to find an answer to this specific question, so I hope I'm not such a fool that I've created a unique problem. I'm a new player, everywhere I've found advises a 45 degree angle to the pick, instead of picking flat to the strings. When I get over about half that, there's no release at all to the string, it just sort of glides over the rounded tip of the pick to make a sort of thin, faint sound. This is corrected if I use a sharp tipped pick, but not everybody uses those so I feel like I should be able to get a real pick attack out of a rounded one like a classic Tortex. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using a more or less classic pick grip, loose fist, pick on side of index, thumb laid over top. Thank you kindly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Agrinja posted:

I've searched around, I haven't been able to find an answer to this specific question, so I hope I'm not such a fool that I've created a unique problem. I'm a new player, everywhere I've found advises a 45 degree angle to the pick, instead of picking flat to the strings. When I get over about half that, there's no release at all to the string, it just sort of glides over the rounded tip of the pick to make a sort of thin, faint sound. This is corrected if I use a sharp tipped pick, but not everybody uses those so I feel like I should be able to get a real pick attack out of a rounded one like a classic Tortex. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'm using a more or less classic pick grip, loose fist, pick on side of index, thumb laid over top. Thank you kindly.

This is a subtle thing you're trying to get down. I've found that when I'm angling my pick correctly that it looks flat from my perspective but other people looking at me tell me its sharply angled. I think the most important thing is to listen to the sound your picking makes. When you get very evenly spaced and consistent sounds you're holding it right.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Salt Fish posted:

This is a subtle thing you're trying to get down. I've found that when I'm angling my pick correctly that it looks flat from my perspective but other people looking at me tell me its sharply angled. I think the most important thing is to listen to the sound your picking makes. When you get very evenly spaced and consistent sounds you're holding it right.

That's a relief then, thank you. I suppose I'll have to give a little more credence to video taping yourself while playing, or find myself a big enough mirror so I can see what my hands are doing from a better angle. Thanks again!

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I see everyone talking about attenuators recently. Is that something that is mostly for tube amps or does it make a difference with solid state amps as well? For reference, I have a Fender Mustang 3.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
You don't need one, just turn down your master.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pretty sure the whole point is to drive a tube to the hotness and get that tubular sound without the associated volume. Solid states are pretty much linear response so driving them hard doesn't change their sound. The volume knob does the same job

(possible caveats apply)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Solid state power sections are designed in most cases explicitly to avoid clipping. There are some exceptions; Randall has made some FET power sections that have kinda tube sounding clipping when overdriven, for example. Another example are solid state amps that incorporate a little tube power section, usually set up with a 12[AX/AU/AT]7 and complete with a baby output transformer before the big, clean, beefy solid state power section that makes that sound loud without adding unmusical clipping of its own.

But by and large, solid state amps get pretty much all their sound and feel from the input, preamp gain stages (usually JFETs), and tone shaping options. Cool solid state power amps are the exception by far, not the rule.

And even if you have a cool solid state power amp, don't run an attenuator with a solid state amp. It's a bad idea, as attenuators are designed to load down tube output sections which are really very different from solid state ones of any variety, and you can damage the amp, the attenuator, or both. :-/

In most cases all you need to do is, as stated, just turn down the master volume and you're good to go. In the fancy cases where there's more to it than that, you may miss out on some of the sound, but there's not a lot that can be done about it so don't spend too much worry trying.

The better solid state amps tend to take pedals well (though often they respond poorly to boosts, which can just clip the input section in an unmusical way rather than overdriving preamp tubes), so if you want to get a good sound at a lower volume maybe consider looking into a nice dirt pedal.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sometimes you don't have a master volume, or you're more after power tube distortion than preamp distortion. In these cases, an attenuator can be useful.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Xabi posted:

Reminder that Santana's got the worst tone in history (these days).

Which is hilarious (though not surprising) given his rig is nothing but Mesa Mark 1s, Dumbles, and Dumble clones

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gorgar posted:

Sometimes you don't have a master volume, or you're more after power tube distortion than preamp distortion. In these cases, an attenuator can be useful.

Yeah, these are really good use cases for an attenuator and I personally recommend the THD Hot Plate due to a lot of good personal experience with it. Make sure to match attenuator to load, it doesn't have the do-it-all functionality that some other modern attenuators do, though.

Here's a bad use case, though, and what we're talking about, and why I said so much stuff about solid state amps in my post:

Koth posted:

I see everyone talking about attenuators recently. Is that something that is mostly for tube amps or does it make a difference with solid state amps as well? For reference, I have a Fender Mustang 3.

The Fender Mustang 3 is a DSP and solid state amplifier according to the specs page on Fender's site.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 16, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Do they still make the thd hotplate? Somehow I heard it was discontinued or something.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do they still make the thd hotplate? Somehow I heard it was discontinued or something.

Somebody forgot to tell THD! :D

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_hotplate.html

I still see them for sale at retailers, too. I know there are a lot of options, some people really dig other ones, I just happen to prefer this one :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh good because I still need to pick one up. They stopped selling them on musicians friend so somehow over time that turned into "stopped making them" in my retard brain.