Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Irisi posted:

It was a startlingly cruel and unethical experiment. Though you would have thought poor sweet Jody would have realised something was up when he got to the country house and realised everyone was named after characters in Cluedo.

I get the feeling he has to pick people who are a bit... "simple" for the things to work. People who are susceptible to suggestions, etc.

For example, during all of what happened in the house, my first and primary instinct wouldn't be that I'm losing my mind but rather that people were loving with me. Like, when he found the pearls in his room, I'd be thinking it was that guy at the dinner table who put them there, the one who proclaimed that I was playing with them the night before when I knew I wasn't.

edit: That being said though, I seem to have lost track of an entire day this week. I thought it was Thursday night tonight and can't remember the day I missed. :/

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Enjoyable nonsense from Derren Brown tonight. I'll say one thing: he certainly has a type, going by these last few shows, doesn't he?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Squalitude posted:

Enjoyable nonsense from Derren Brown tonight. I'll say one thing: he certainly has a type, going by these last few shows, doesn't he?

Oh gosh yes. They're all so very pretty, bless their impressionable little hearts.

(Mind you, if I was a morally ambiguous, sexy-voiced hypnotist who been given a couple hundred thousand from Channel 4 to film unethical experiments I would probably pick all the dim, hot boys to be my puppets too.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I've been in love with BBC4 since I caught Micro Men and am thrilled to see that somebody on YouTube agrees with me the Clive Sinclair/Alexander Armstrong raging was worth the licence fee.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Nov 5, 2011

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I've been in love with BBC4 since I caught Micro Men and am thrilled to see that somebody on YouTube agrees with me the Clive Sinclair/Alexander Armstrong raging was worth the licence fee.

Yeah, that was an excellent program. Seemed pretty well researched too and my dad, who's an electronic engineer, really enjoyed it - especially the bit where the demo suddenly fails, which he really identified with, haha.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's also the sort of drama that is likely to disappear from the channel due to the cost cutting.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Just watched the latest Derren Brown - very gripping, but I'd prefer to imagine the guy was an actor to be honest, given what he's supposed to have gone through. And what the gently caress was up with the end?

Also did anyone else find the guy really reminded them of a younger, thinner and nicer version of Ricky Gervais?

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 5, 2011

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Quick question: do channels like Sky Living get to ignore the watershed or something? I was watching a pre-watershed episode of CSI earlier this week and it was pretty gory for lunch-time TV (it's the episode Quentin Tarantino directed, rated 15 on DVD). Were they allowed to show it unedited, or did somebody screw up?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Veotax posted:

Quick question: do channels like Sky Living get to ignore the watershed or something? I was watching a pre-watershed episode of CSI earlier this week and it was pretty gory for lunch-time TV (it's the episode Quentin Tarantino directed, rated 15 on DVD). Were they allowed to show it unedited, or did somebody screw up?

I think they do, Sci Fi or Syfy as it's called now show some pretty hosed episodes of X Files, Angel and Buffy. They edit language or sexual references sometimes but then you'll see someone with a shard of glass shoved in their eye walking around or whatever at lunchtime.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'm quite late on this but has anyone worked out exactly what the scene was near the end of Top Boy where there were two shadowy figures (I think one is the mother). Is it Ushain (?) and the mother embracing I wasn't really sure.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

loving digital freeview C4 in my area is buggered. The signal keeps cutting out on all C4 related channels (4, film 4, E4, etc) and it's only the C4 stuff that does this.

Retuning doesn't do anything and the aerial picks up every other channel fine. :/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I had the same problem, only fixed itself when I returned it to factory settings and then retuned the box, retuning it beforehand did fix anything.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

I had the same problem, only fixed itself when I returned it to factory settings and then retuned the box, retuning it beforehand did fix anything.

The digital freeview thing I've got is built into the TV so it's not the easiest thing to get replaced (and might be overkill). :/

Hopefully I'll get a better reception when I move.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Kin posted:

The digital freeview thing I've got is built into the TV so it's not the easiest thing to get replaced (and might be overkill). :/

Hopefully I'll get a better reception when I move.

Retune, not return! I admit I did read it that way the first time though too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Freeview power is I think going up when every region is off analogue. I think.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Jonnty posted:

Retune, not return! I admit I did read it that way the first time though too.

I think Brown Moses masterminded that.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

thehustler posted:

Freeview power is I think going up when every region is off analogue. I think.

But they are inexplicably not using the bandwidth freed up to add additional multiplexes for more channels.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

HERAK posted:

But they are inexplicably not using the bandwidth freed up to add additional multiplexes for more channels.

Selling it to phone providers is much more profitable.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A brand new Collings and Herrin Podcast!

Withers
Jul 24, 2007

Metrication posted:

I'm quite late on this but has anyone worked out exactly what the scene was near the end of Top Boy where there were two shadowy figures (I think one is the mother). Is it Ushain (?) and the mother embracing I wasn't really sure.

I read it as Dushane and the mother, yeah. It explains how he knew that she was in hospital, as well as there was more to Dushane keeping Ra'Nell out of the gang. It wasn't just Drug-Dealer-With-A-Heart-Of-Gold.

Did quite enjoy the series though, has the same inevitability of crime feeling that the wire does, whilst not just being a carbon copy.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Withers posted:

I read it as Dushane and the mother, yeah. It explains how he knew that she was in hospital, as well as there was more to Dushane keeping Ra'Nell out of the gang. It wasn't just Drug-Dealer-With-A-Heart-Of-Gold.

Did quite enjoy the series though, has the same inevitability of crime feeling that the wire does, whilst not just being a carbon copy.

I'm pretty sure it's Ra'Nell and his mum.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Roidweiser posted:

Selling it to phone providers is much more profitable.

gently caress knows why. I don't think that range is particularly useful for it.

Also we had to change all our radio mics at work too. Which was annoying.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Brown Moses posted:

A brand new Collings and Herrin Podcast!

Think Herring has a new BBC radio show starting this week too :D

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Z-Magic posted:

Think Herring has a new BBC radio show starting this week too :D
Is that Objective series 2? That was fun, even if it's mostly just bits and pieces of his standup. Hardly a bad thing though considering it's free.

Would like to see his new show, but I couldn't go to see him while he was here in Bristol. Any good?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Saw it at the Fringe, it was okay. The main problem is he puts a lot of work out for free, so if you read his blog and / or listen to at least one of his podcasts you'll know something like 75% of the routines in the show already, in one form or another.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

HERAK posted:

Oh God, do we need more channels?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Withers posted:

I thought it was implying that he could be Ra'Nell's father but that seems quite likely.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 6, 2011

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Withers posted:

It was Ra'Nell and his mother.
For starters the height difference was all wrong for him to be Dushane.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Cerv posted:

Oh God, do we need more channels?

No, just the ones we have already in HD.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Has anyone else been having trouble with iPlayer recently? Since it changed again I feel like I'm watching stuff over AOL dialup.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's poo poo. Jumps around between resolutions as well.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah I've started using the iPlayer Desktop even to watch standard definition stuff uninterrupted when previously I had no problem watching HD things on the iPlayer site.

Mind you my internet connection in general (Virgin) seems to be shitter these days so it could be that.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
No I think there's been a pretty genuine fuckup on the part of the BBC on this one.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Why do people have to keep loving about with things that work? Why can't they just leave well alone? The bit of the iPlayer redesign that's really annoyed me is that they've got rid of the "big but not full screen" window size. Whose clever idea was that?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

Why do people have to keep loving about with things that work? Why can't they just leave well alone? The bit of the iPlayer redesign that's really annoyed me is that they've got rid of the "big but not full screen" window size. Whose clever idea was that?

They probably decided to make it worse on purpose in case they got into trouble with the Tories and the Murdoch press for having a better online player thing than their commercial rivals.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

That annoyed me too. I just magnify the window now though to achieve the result.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Trin Tragula posted:

Blame the Tories.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Blame the Tories.

It's not that I'm against this course of action in the slightest, but is there a particular reason why?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kin posted:

Blame the Tories.

Oh cool, the weather's getting chilly and I hate getting out of work when it's dark can I blame the tories for that too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Sion posted:

Oh cool, the weather's getting chilly and I hate getting out of work when it's dark can I blame the tories for that too?

Kin posted:

Blame the Tories.