Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Two questions: Is there anything really specific I should look for or avoid in a handheld potato masher (metals, designs, etc)? And can you leave potato skins on in colcannon without making it taste terrible?

Just get a ricer or use a big fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Two questions: Is there anything really specific I should look for or avoid in a handheld potato masher (metals, designs, etc)? And can you leave potato skins on in colcannon without making it taste terrible?

get this http://www.amazon.com/Art-Cook-Mash...=I38UK20349UUD3

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've kept the skin on for colcannon and it's been fine.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just get a ricer or use a big fork.

Ricer is the proper tool

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I got a ricer for Christmas a few years back and I've never looked back.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I'm trying to find the name for a piece of equipment I saw at a hamburger grill before. It was basically just a metal weight with a wood handle that they would rest on top of the burger while it was cooking, I guess to either decrease cooking time or to keep the patty flat. I figure something like that would also be a decent alternative to buying a panini press since I already have a decent cast iron pan.

Does this thing sound familiar?

e: \/
Thanks!

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 4, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, my mom had one of those for keeping bacon from curling up. I'm not sure what they're called but they're not too hard to find.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

I'm trying to find the name for a piece of equipment I saw at a hamburger grill before. It was basically just a metal weight with a wood handle that they would rest on top of the burger while it was cooking, I guess to either decrease cooking time or to keep the patty flat. I figure something like that would also be a decent alternative to buying a panini press since I already have a decent cast iron pan.

Try http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cast-Bacon-Grill-Press/dp/B00004UE7B/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1351992869&sr=8-4&keywords=bacon+press

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063RXNI/ which is a tiny bit larger and a few dollars more. I'm quite happy with it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I need ideas for pork braises besides chili and pulled pork (made heinous amounts of chili twice this month, pulled pork is definitely on the docket). My grocery store had boston butts on sale for circa 2006 prices and I went a little overboard.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SpaceMost posted:

You can just wrap a brick in foil. Does the same thing for pretty much free.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yeah, I got a grill press free for doing a Pampered Chef party three years ago :rolleyes: and I've used it all of twice. Just get a piece of patio tile or something and use that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can just wrap a brick in foil. Does the same thing for pretty much free.

I've been doing this, but having to change the aluminum foil regularly is turning into chore. I think I'm going to get a grill press after all

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Yeah, leave the skins on.

For a potato masher, I hate those ones with weird shapes and junk. I like a good sturdy one with that s-shaped thingy. Yes, it's a little more pricey, but I love my Oxo Masher because the handle really is comfortable. Anything with a skinny handle will end up hurting your hand. Also, anything with weird shapes will mean it takes for freaking ever to mash the goddamned potatoes. With the s-shaped mashy bits, it makes it way quicker to power through a five pound bag.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I've been doing this, but having to change the aluminum foil regularly is turning into chore. I think I'm going to get a grill press after all

It's not as much of a chore as washing a grill press with grease caked on.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's not as much of a chore as washing a grill press with grease caked on.

Especially if you get one of the ridged ones :(

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

SpaceMost posted:

I use this for making sandwiches, burgers, if I'm trying to fry something thin (chicken skin, for example), etcetc. It's really useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-P...cast+iron+press

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I need ideas for pork braises besides chili and pulled pork (made heinous amounts of chili twice this month, pulled pork is definitely on the docket). My grocery store had boston butts on sale for circa 2006 prices and I went a little overboard.

Try carnitas-although its more of a confit than a braise-cut your pig shoulder into chunks, marinate in lime juice and salt, then cook submerged in lard in your dutch oven or equivalent on the stove at low-medium heat or in the oven at about 300 degrees (you want the lard about 270 degrees or so) for about an hour to an hour and a half, you want them tender but not falling apart. Remove your pork, crank up the heat, then fry a few pieces at a time for a minute or so to crisp them up. Serve on fresh corn tortillas with onions and cilantro.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
What's a gws-approved tortilla recipe? I'm thinking of making carne asada today, and store bought tortillas have this nasty bitter aftertaste from the preservatives.

Actually a good carne asada recipe would also be super appreciated. It'll be my first time making it.

An observer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 4, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
This is the basic recipe. You may need to add more or less water depending on your flour.

edit: Pictures and video if you need more info.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've got some Italian sausage links and sliced Portabella mushrooms that are about to go bad and I was wondering if you fine goons have any ideas for recipes? Thanks in advance.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I've been making slow cooker chickens (the best) and with the bones and drippings, I've been making chicken stock in the slow cooker. However last time I made it I forgot to add water to top off the slow cooker so it was basically not inconsiderable amount of liquid and bones, skin, etc doing its thing.

When it was done I had about a pint of stuff, and after letting it cool and skimming off the fat, it's, for lack of a better term, jelly. It's chicken jelly.

Is this just because it's so drat concentrated or did I somehow screw something up? Can I just mix it with water when I need to use it?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I keep getting a to much potatoey flavor when I cook my stew is it because I am not blanching my potatoes before adding them I usually just add them raw.

Here is my "recipe"

1 1/2 pound stew meat
Onion and Celery
Roasted Garlic
Cut/peeled baby carrots
Like 6 to 7 cut up peeled Red Potatoes
Salt Pepper
2 Large Roasted Red Bell Pepper, Roast then I puree in a blender with a very small amount of Tomatoe sauce
Salt/Pepper
Oh and just by eye uh Beef Broth
I cook my onions in bacon and leave the bacon in the stew

I keep getting this really strong potatoey flavor and I think it's because I am not blanching off the starch from the potatoes before hand. I really want to get a roasted red pepper flavor but man the potatoes really cut it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

So I've been making slow cooker chickens (the best) and with the bones and drippings, I've been making chicken stock in the slow cooker. However last time I made it I forgot to add water to top off the slow cooker so it was basically not inconsiderable amount of liquid and bones, skin, etc doing its thing.

When it was done I had about a pint of stuff, and after letting it cool and skimming off the fat, it's, for lack of a better term, jelly. It's chicken jelly.

Is this just because it's so drat concentrated or did I somehow screw something up? Can I just mix it with water when I need to use it?

That is kind of like a proto chicken demiglace. Reduce a bottle of sauv blanc to a quarter cup and add it to the chicken jelly and put it on a thing.

but yeah. it is normal. All that gelatin used to be in the bones and in the connective tissue in the bird, now it is making your stock delicious. It is there in your normal concentration of stock, too, it just was watered down.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Saint Darwin posted:

It's chicken jelly because you made it real good. It is excellent, not bad.

It will melt into chicken stock. Do not add water.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Hollis posted:

I keep getting a to much potatoey flavor when I cook my stew is it because I am not blanching my potatoes before adding them I usually just add them raw.

Here is my "recipe"

1 1/2 pound stew meat
Onion and Celery
Roasted Garlic
Cut/peeled baby carrots
Like 6 to 7 cut up peeled Red Potatoes
Salt Pepper
2 Large Roasted Red Bell Pepper, Roast then I puree in a blender with a very small amount of Tomatoe sauce
Salt/Pepper
Oh and just by eye uh Beef Broth
I cook my onions in bacon and leave the bacon in the stew

I keep getting this really strong potatoey flavor and I think it's because I am not blanching off the starch from the potatoes before hand. I really want to get a roasted red pepper flavor but man the potatoes really cut it.

How big are your potatoes? If they're large and you're using three pounds of potatoes to 1.5# of meat, it'll probably taste of potato regardless.

That said, I don't ever really have a problem with my stew tasting of potatoes, and I always add them raw. If you're adding them at the beginning, they should be soaking up the taste of the stew, rather than the other way around. Perhaps you could try using a different variety of potato, I occasionally use yukon golds, but any low-starch variety will do. The kinds with a higher starch concentration (russets and so forth) will tend to just fall apart and turn into mush in long, slow cooking conditions.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think that is what is happening, because I am cutting them to much and their just turning to loving moosh. Ugh so basically I have "potato" soup now with carrots and stew meat in it. I just cooked some bacon and dumped that in there , gently caress it. I'll try the yukon gold. I'm using Red Potatoes and their just to mushy. So disappointed.

It tastes good though so I guess that counts but there is like no chunks of potatoes in it any more. Never had this happen before I guess I missed a step or something but they straight up turned to mush.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hollis posted:

I think that is what is happening, because I am cutting them to much and their just turning to loving moosh. Ugh so basically I have "potato" soup now with carrots and stew meat in it. I just cooked some bacon and dumped that in there , gently caress it. I'll try the yukon gold. I'm using Red Potatoes and their just to mushy. So disappointed.

It tastes good though so I guess that counts but there is like no chunks of potatoes in it any more. Never had this happen before I guess I missed a step or something but they straight up turned to mush.

You just overcooked them/overstirred them. It should still be delicious just don't cook them so long next time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

Ricer is the proper tool
I always use both a ricer (well, a food mill) and a masher. The food mill to rice the potatoes, and then the masher to smooth out the consistency and blend in whatever I'm adding to the potatoes (butter, cream or milk, or whatever).

I could see just using a large fork if you're just making a single serving, but if you're making mashed potatoes for more than a couple people it seems like that would be a pain in the rear end compared to using a `proper' masher.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Best kind of apple to use in a crisp?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

spinst posted:

Best kind of apple to use in a crisp?

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/..._throwing_.html

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Never even heard of a Cortland apple!

Thank you, though.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Tonight I was reading Ratio and on a lark, I decided to make cookies where I used sesame seed oil instead of butter. I basically ended up mixing together the oil, the sugar, some flour, a splash of water, a banana, a hell of a lot of honey, and an egg. They came out tasting… weird. A bit salty, but with an eventual sweet aftertaste. I got the texture about right (at least fresh out of the oven, which they just exited a few minutes ago), but the sesame seed oil really creates this distracting incongruity between smell and taste. The balance is really wonky between the three "main" flavors.

Anyway… Can I make this recipe work by balancing it out more? The book didn't get into using plant oils for the fat component, so should I give up on trying? I mean, if I got the texture right, then I don't see a problem with it, but I also haven't done this a lot, either.

I guess my main question is… Can I make cookies with plant oils for my fat component?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

TychoCelchuuu posted:

This is the basic recipe. You may need to add more or less water depending on your flour.

edit: Pictures and video if you need more info.

Thanks! Didn't get a chance to make the tacos today, but I'm definitely doing it next weekend.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

CloseFriend posted:

Tonight I was reading Ratio and on a lark, I decided to make cookies where I used sesame seed oil instead of butter. I basically ended up mixing together the oil, the sugar, some flour, a splash of water, a banana, a hell of a lot of honey, and an egg. They came out tasting… weird. A bit salty, but with an eventual sweet aftertaste. I got the texture about right (at least fresh out of the oven, which they just exited a few minutes ago), but the sesame seed oil really creates this distracting incongruity between smell and taste. The balance is really wonky between the three "main" flavors.

Anyway… Can I make this recipe work by balancing it out more? The book didn't get into using plant oils for the fat component, so should I give up on trying? I mean, if I got the texture right, then I don't see a problem with it, but I also haven't done this a lot, either.

I guess my main question is… Can I make cookies with plant oils for my fat component?

Sesame oil is VERY strongly flavored. Even for things like stir fry, a chef wouldn't normally put more than a teaspoon of it for a wok of food enough to feed 4, and said chef would almost never use it as the main frying oil, again for that reason. It's just a flavoring oil. Try again, but with a more neutral flavored oil like peanut, canola, vegetable, etc. Sesame and strong Extra Virgin Olive oils are best avoided for foods where you don't want its overpowering flavor.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Mach420 posted:

Sesame oil is VERY strongly flavored. Even for things like stir fry, a chef wouldn't normally put more than a teaspoon of it for a wok of food enough to feed 4, and said chef would almost never use it as the main frying oil, again for that reason. It's just a flavoring oil. Try again, but with a more neutral flavored oil like peanut, canola, vegetable, etc. Sesame and strong Extra Virgin Olive oils are best avoided for foods where you don't want its overpowering flavor.
That… explains a lot. Looks like I'll end up throwing these out, since I can't get used to the taste. Next time I'll make them with peanut oil and put in some Reese's peanut butter and chocolate chips. Life's too long anyway.

I had only a tiny bit of sesame oil left in the bottle, so I mixed it with white wine vinegar to make a quick vinaigrette. After I read this, I diluted the sesame oil down to half with some canola oil (and added more vinegar to balance). Should I dilute it more?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

CloseFriend posted:

I had only a tiny bit of sesame oil left in the bottle, so I mixed it with white wine vinegar to make a quick vinaigrette. After I read this, I diluted the sesame oil down to half with some canola oil (and added more vinegar to balance). Should I dilute it more?

How does it taste?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

tarepanda posted:

How does it taste?
Of course I posted here before I even thought to test it… Still pretty strong, even the smell. (EDIT: The sesame absolutely drowns out the vinegar.) I'll dilute it down to a third.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 5, 2012

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm really looking at different types of flour right now and have a pretty keen interest in the nut flours, almond, pistachio etc.. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I just kind of want ot make pistachio pancakes.. I don't know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

CloseFriend posted:

Of course I posted here before I even thought to test it… Still pretty strong, even the smell. (EDIT: The sesame absolutely drowns out the vinegar.) I'll dilute it down to a third.

To be fair, sesame oil + vinegar is not high on my list of "things to taste."