Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Can you get pomegranates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah, and i have tried making pom juice with them earlier but i have no juicer and i got like 7ml juice from a full apple.

Ill just buy some grenadine 😂

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I got a bottle of that POM juice at the grocery store and I just added sugar to that. I dunno if it's close to the real thing but probably better than Rose's.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Anonymous Robot posted:

Their OTFD overproof rum is phenomenal.

Two bottles on order! (One is a gift tho.)

I made a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club last night, on the Plantation Barbados non-5 year. Total poo poo show, watery and bitter. No idea what went wrong, maybe the limes were crap?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

bolind posted:

I made a Royal Bermuda Yacht Club last night, on the Plantation Barbados non-5 year. Total poo poo show, watery and bitter. No idea what went wrong, maybe the limes were crap?

Honestly I've found it a tough drink to make consistently. Sometimes it turns out stunning and other times it's a poo poo show as you said. I think my most successful one had a barspoon of simple in it to help round things out, but I'd have to double check my notes to be sure.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Please stop talking highly of alcohol outlawed in my lovely country. :negative:

Some day I'm going to buy some while traveling and if I get stopped in customs I'll just play the fool and maybe try some bribes :shrug:

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Did some El Presidente research over the last few days (had a bottle of vermouth I wanted to use up before leaving town):

Dolin Blanc>Dolin Dry but honestly it's not as big of a difference as I was expecting.
2:1:1 is a better ratio than 3:2:1 (1 oz vermouth, 0.5 oz curacao) unless you really like vermouth or want a slightly weaker drink for whatever reason.
Using the syrup from a jar of maraschino cherries instead of grenadine is definitely a thing you could get away with if this is your third drink of the evening but you shouldn't make a habit of it.

A lightly-aged rum like Flor de Cana 4 or Plantation 3 Stars makes the best drink for most people but I'm not going to stop you from donating your taste buds to science like I did. A full ounce and a half of Rhum JM is really overpowering (though probably more from the 55% ABV than the funk) but I got enjoyable results from using an ounce of El Dorado 5 and half an ounce of OFTD. It turns the cocktail into a rich dessert drink without making it unrecognizable. Trois Rivieres Ambre is just as insipid here as it is in everything else I've tried with it. Angostura 7 makes for a perfectly-serviceable drink in the event that you've run out of lightly-aged rum. Mercifully, I ran out of vermouth before I could try a black rum variation.

okiedoke
Aug 24, 2008

I am the Doke to the Okie
Hey cocktail thread. I recently purchased a whole bunch of booze and made my first drink a couple nights ago. Still waiting on a few items I've ordered, so making due with random kitchen stuff to crush ice, juice things and mixing in general. I did grab a Boston shaker and a garbage jigger so I could get pours right. Is there an app better than My Bar? So far I'm not really impressed with it. :cheersbird:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

okiedoke posted:

Hey cocktail thread. I recently purchased a whole bunch of booze and made my first drink a couple nights ago. Still waiting on a few items I've ordered, so making due with random kitchen stuff to crush ice, juice things and mixing in general. I did grab a Boston shaker and a garbage jigger so I could get pours right. Is there an app better than My Bar? So far I'm not really impressed with it. :cheersbird:

Mixel

okiedoke
Aug 24, 2008

I am the Doke to the Okie

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Did I bring three kinds of rum, two kinds of syrup, and a bottle of gin to the summer house? You bet. Did I remember the shaker? Uhhhhhh... :doh:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Speaking of which, anyone ever tried to make a mai tai milk punch? I’m going to a beach house for a long weekend this summer and I’d like to batch a bottle of a fun beach cocktail, but anything I’d want to make would have citrus or juice of some sort on it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

bolind posted:

Did I bring three kinds of rum, two kinds of syrup, and a bottle of gin to the summer house? You bet. Did I remember the shaker? Uhhhhhh... :doh:

Hope you have a mason jar!

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

bolind posted:

Just box it

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Maestro posted:

Hope you have a mason jar!

This is the true path.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So I'm messing around with whiskey cocktails as I love ryes and bourbons but have mostly been drinking them as straight sips or making simple Manhattans or Old Fashioneds. I tend to buy whiskeys in the $50 - $75 range in terms of bottles, with occasional branches up and down when I'm comfortable with what I'm getting in the higher and lower values.

Definitely open to suggestions on good whiskey cocktails. Made my first Boulevardier yesterday -- I find I'm not a fan of excessive bitterness from the various digestifs so I prefer Carpano Classico to Carpano Antica Formula and found that Campari, even diluted with the Carpano and a 2:1:1 favoring a strong rye was still too bitter for me (I think I prefer a ratio with the Carpano of 2:1:.75) so I'd probably prefer something avoiding stuff that's overly stiff or herby (couldn't stand Fernet-Branca when I tried it straight; can't imagine what it mixes with to make it tolerable.)

Would love any thoughts from fellow bourbon/rye drinkers!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Probably my favorite bourbon cocktail right now is the Revolver.

2 bourbon
0.5 coffee liquor
2 dash orange bitters

Stir, up. Flamed orange peel

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fernet-Branca and Coke is evidently the national drink of Argentina.

I like it. But you sure don't need much

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Fernet-Branca and Coke is evidently the national drink of Argentina.

I like it. But you sure don't need much

The official receipt is 6 ounces of coke to TWO OUNCES of loving fernet

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also Alfred drinks it straight in Batman so y'know, if you want to be cool like Michael Caine

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Probably my favorite bourbon cocktail right now is the Revolver.

2 bourbon
0.5 coffee liquor
2 dash orange bitters

Stir, up. Flamed orange peel

Sold.

You know, the Balcones Texas Rye might work really well with that also. It has a real chocolate-y taste (and is sweeter than most ryes) that could make it a bit of a Mocha Revolver...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

Sold.

You know, the Balcones Texas Rye might work really well with that also. It has a real chocolate-y taste (and is sweeter than most ryes) that could make it a bit of a Mocha Revolver...

Note that switching to rye will reduce the sweetness and make the drink more bitter and hot

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Don’t spend $50-$75 on whiskey for mixing, that’s rule #1. Assuming you live in a place with normal priced spirits. Get a $22 btl of Rittenhouse rye and a $24 btl of Evan Williams Single Barrel.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The official receipt is 6 ounces of coke to TWO OUNCES of loving fernet

And it is perfect as is :colbert:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I mean, I don't like soda, what if I flipped the measurements? I like Fernet straight, so...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
There is no use of Fernet which is not good.

Mmmmm....Fernet.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up
Made a few Midnight Stingers to finish up my fernet bottle this weekend:

1 oz Fernet
1 oz bourbon (I used Wild Turkey 101)
0.75 oz lemon juice
0.75 oz simple syrup

Shake, strain into rocks glass over crushed/pebble ice. Garnish with mint sprig.

So basically a sour riff - but a good one. Tasted like a lemon iced tea with mint to me. Perfect fernet usage for people who might be afraid of it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm-a bookmark that one.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I really thought that was actually gonna be a Stinger variant (Stinger = brandy + creme de menthe, shaken). Combined with the Fernet chat, I’ve got to post about the Good Night, Irene, which I believe I’ve posted 2x before ITT, but I guess it is near 250 pages and the drink owns.

Shake 2:1 overproof wheated bourbon (Makers cask strength bangs hard in this) and Branca Menta, strain over crushed ice. This is a bit aseasonal right now as it is a holiday drink, but its so good I can’t not post it. I bought a bottle of Branca Menta early last December and I think 75% went into this drink over the winter. Gonna do that again in a few months.

Edit: also all you Fernet and whiskey fans should try Torontos and Fanciullis if you haven’t yet.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 15, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Toronto is a super common cocktail in Reno. Like, Sazerac level of commonality.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up
I'm shocked I haven't had a Toronto yet and I must rectify that.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Alright I know I posted a while ago about disliking atomizers but I got a job managing a whiskey tasting room and ya gotta have a logo stencil for bitters for a whiskey sour.

Is there a specific atomizer that’s better than the rest? I’ve used the Misto one made for olive oil that has a pump to charge action and the cocktail kingdom one. The Misto was fairly consistent until it wasn’t but the CK one clogged pretty quickly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Put the bitters in your mouth and then read some surprising news

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just made a thing. 3 oz Meyer's rum, 1.5 lemon juice, 0.5 each simple and falernum, a few shakes of ango. I mean it's basically a rum swizzle without the lime that I put in the shaker. It's good!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm trying to get a bit more into making mixed drinks. I typically only make a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Recently I've made myself a Negroni and I really enjoyed it. Does anyone have suggestions on a app that I can list the spirits and cordials that I have, and what I can make? It would be cool to have a feature that says you need one more ingredient to make this drink.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

obi_ant posted:

I'm trying to get a bit more into making mixed drinks. I typically only make a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Recently I've made myself a Negroni and I really enjoyed it. Does anyone have suggestions on a app that I can list the spirits and cordials that I have, and what I can make? It would be cool to have a feature that says you need one more ingredient to make this drink.

makemeacocktail.com does exactly that, but it doesn't have the best or most complete recipe list. It's not a bad place to start though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whereas Bar Mixel has a nice interface and lots of recipes and lets you stock up your virtual bar and match it up with whatever you want to look up, but it lacks the one feature you (and I) are really looking for, which is like

*tap* "Here are all the things I can 100% make"
*tap* "Here are all the things I can 90% make, plus workarounds"

etc

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Total Tiki does that, but obviously only for tropical drinks.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

Total Tiki does that, but obviously only for tropical drinks.

The same company has a few other apps that also do that and they have more variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

obi_ant posted:

I'm trying to get a bit more into making mixed drinks. I typically only make a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Recently I've made myself a Negroni and I really enjoyed it.

Are you me? Be honest.