Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Wow, the Thriller Bark level is absolute garbage. The early part with the fog covering the map is just miserable because there aren't any recognisable landmarks to navigate by, so I end up running around in circles for ages and whenever I spend any time fighting in one of the square rooms I can never tell which entrance I came in through when I'm done. And then fighting Oars is a pain in the rear end because his fist keeps blocking my view so I can't see the effect on the ground that warns of Moria's bat attack, so I'm constantly getting hit by that.

It doesn't help that there seems to have been a massive difficulty spike too, I was having a fairly easy time even on hard mode just sticking to the recommended level, but now suddenly every enemy that isn't a basic mook takes loving forever to kill. The final battle with Oars after dealing with Moria's doppelgangers must have taken almost half an hour, I got so sick of running around after him. What the hell is this poo poo?

This was my first time playing as Franky, so is he just really weak for some reason? I did spend the money to bring him up to the recommended level, and used coins on him, and yes I know about refilling his cola meter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Suaimhneas posted:

And then fighting Oars is a pain in the rear end because his fist keeps blocking my view so I can't see the effect on the ground that warns of Moria's bat attack, so I'm constantly getting hit by that.

It's just really hard to see the bat telegraph no matter what happens, the actual solution is you just have to know that he does it, and then pinpoint where in your combo it happens. If you play as Luffy, it happens in the middle of light-light-strong (?) Gatling. This means you can actually move out of the way with its forward momentum so you have time to complete the animation and call your Kizuna Combo, which does crazy damage for some reason.

As for the fog section, it helps a lot to follow Brook (or Luffy, if you're playing as Brook). His AI gravitates toward the next important area. You still have to find your crew members manually if you want the Treasure Event. It's not nearly as hard to get as the Steam guide says it is, though.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 19, 2015

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I love the detail of some of the taunts. Tashigi's is king though because after you use it the game drops a slight blurry filter on everything.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
You can taunt? How do you taunt? I have the Vita version.

Also, I just beat the story mode. I guess the last chapter is just totally made up? It felt pretty appropriate and keeping with the general rhythm of One Piece, even if Sabo really just shows up outta fuckin' nowhere. A fun final zone, but the story mode really peters out after the Marineford war, outside of Punk Hazard which was pretty cool.

Now to sink my teeth into the Dream Log proper. It's pretty great to have this game on a portable, I can bust it out whenever and it's full of content. It doesn't seem like I'm missing out on much from the big console version besides probably better character animations and more crisp level backgrounds.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You can taunt? How do you taunt? I have the Vita version.

It should be the Select button or whatever button it has instead of that.

Pro Tip: With New World Franky, make sure to hold the taunt button down rather than tapping it.

E: also it's a shame that Tashigi is the only person with a Shambles costume but I guess hers was probably the most distinct.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 19, 2015

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I like the way Tashigi animates and her attacks are really cool looking, which makes me kind of wish for a Platinum-style game featuring a Kendo-style sword fighter. You kinda get that in Revengeance, but an action game where attacking relentlessly isn't the proper style, bt rather controlled and well-timed attacks are key, could be pretty interesting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We're never getting another Bushido a Blade, sorry.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I like the way Tashigi animates and her attacks are really cool looking, which makes me kind of wish for a Platinum-style game featuring a Kendo-style sword fighter. You kinda get that in Revengeance, but an action game where attacking relentlessly isn't the proper style, bt rather controlled and well-timed attacks are key, could be pretty interesting.

Tashigi is one of my favorite characters in the game so far... even if I cannot figure out what the use of her unique action is at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Eopia posted:

Tashigi is one of my favorite characters in the game so far... even if I cannot figure out what the use of her unique action is at all.

Extra attack while attacking, a charge slash like Zorro's when not attacking.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Tashigi's attacks are cool-looking? Half of them are her falling over. Does she get an alternate post-timeskip moveset that's more cool than comic relief?

My favourite character to play as up until now had been Law, but Franky's winning me over with his sheer variety of attacks. I can't wait to get further in and hopefully unlock RADICAL BEAM :swoon:

I also can't get enough of Brook's running animation

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

The joke is supposed to be Tashigi trips and falls when you don't finish her combo attacks but it kinda doesn't work when you have to wait to level up to the complete combo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can just cancel her fall animation with evade, then continue the chain. The game buffers a combo link for a couple seconds, I.e. Luffy can multi punch the ground, cancel dodge, then do the aerial stomp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

You can just cancel her fall animation with evade, then continue the chain. The game buffers a combo link for a couple seconds, I.e. Luffy can multi punch the ground, cancel dodge, then do the aerial stomp.

Yeah, I didn't even realize she tripped because there is no reason not to be cancelling her attack animation every time.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

You're going to make me cry.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I didn't even realize she tripped because there is no reason not to be cancelling her attack animation every time.

Yup. Never not dash cancel, regardless of who you are playing.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe we'll get another Deadliest Warrior game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Maybe we'll get another Deadliest Warrior game

mossad vs hoplite

Selane
May 19, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Bushido Blade owned. You could kill the last boss in one hit before the fight even started, but if you did the game would make fun of you for having no honor.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Japan is getting an Arslan demo later this week. The idea of a Daryun character song cracks me up.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Vita version of DW8 Empires is coming to the West in November.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
This might have been mentioned but some of the dlc missions are incredible for racking up kills and !'s. The low level ones where you use the three brothers and the one with Impel Down and CP9 versus Mr 3 are both great.

Edit: Wow the lvl 30 Fishman one. Apparently !'s max out at 9999.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 23, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They're also good for getting your crew level up for support only-characters.

...I already S-ranked 'em all. :blush:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jibo posted:

Yup. Never not dash cancel, regardless of who you are playing.

I'm trying to think of who wouldn't, and the only one I can think of is Akainu out of his SSSST, so you start hitting for the next SSSST while safely in a field of murder and pain instead of dashing to its edge.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I couldn't get into Akainu or Fujitora, the former's SSSST felt too weak and the latter's R1 wasn't nearly as impressive as I'd been led to believe :(

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
With Fujitora, were you fully charging it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I didn't realize you can charge R1s, but it felt way too slow anyway, especially when your alternatives are stuff like Whitebeard's SSSST that one-shots Nightmare Log captains that aren't even on the screen and Eneru's SSST that fully charges your Kizuna gauge without even trying.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I was kind of bummed to see that Rebecca isn't in the game. I'd have liked to slash up dudes as a not-Roman gladiator lady.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The White Dragon posted:

I didn't realize you can charge R1s, but it felt way too slow anyway, especially when your alternatives are stuff like Whitebeard's SSSST that one-shots Nightmare Log captains that aren't even on the screen and Eneru's SSST that fully charges your Kizuna gauge without even trying.

What you do is stand outside the enemy's room so they aren't even aggro'd on you and drop meteors on them from there, instantly fill your Kizuna gauge, go into rush, then drop more meteors because the charge is faster. Just tap it a li'l if you need to get someone off their feet so you have room to hold it to maxxx power. You can run around and dodge hits once the black shadow appears.

And Quick Charge really helps the time.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

Chortles posted:

Looks like a "character not ruler" RPG, this pleases me~

On the other hand, it seems like the developers decided to lean on Sphere of Influence for the mechanics, particularly battles and the "nodes" approach to the strategic map.

I didn't get an RPG vibe from that at all. It looks like, at best, characters have relationships with one another, which isn't really new. The "more detailed battles" and "3D maps" made it seem like a pretty standard strategy game. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to get another version of ROTK that was more RPG oriented than strategy oriented, or -- God forbid -- one that managed to combine the two approaches well.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Wow, Mr 3's big moment at Marineford where he helps Luffy save Ace from Sengoku was cut entirely. They even had him leave the battle in the middle of the previous level and I was like "Oh, heh, I know what that's leading up to", but nope, I guess he just ran away in this version huh? I guess Bon-chan's dying wish wasn't a big deal to him after all :smith:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
As expected of KT. It took a while then I suddenly realized that they cut all the character outtros from PW3. I assume because they just couldn't be arsed to make them for the few new characters they added.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They were cool but I only watched them twice per character anyway, makes sense they'd rather have the animation people work on actual cutscenes, especially when they have to crank out a new game every 2-6 months.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Dastardly posted:

As expected of KT. It took a while then I suddenly realized that they cut all the character outtros from PW3. I assume because they just couldn't be arsed to make them for the few new characters they added.

The fact it took you a while to notice is probably the reason why they were cut.They are cute flavor but they really add nothing.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

https://youtu.be/oyI0B-ennfw

SE's Dragon Quest youtube channel has been putting out a few videos explaining how the game plays. Here's the one on Monster Medals since thats probably the biggest difference from regular warriors games and because the randomized monster names are really cute.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The GIG posted:

https://youtu.be/oyI0B-ennfw

SE's Dragon Quest youtube channel has been putting out a few videos explaining how the game plays. Here's the one on Monster Medals since thats probably the biggest difference from regular warriors games and because the randomized monster names are really cute.

I can't wait for this drat game.

Oozy Oozeborne. :3:

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Panama Red posted:

I didn't get an RPG vibe from that at all. It looks like, at best, characters have relationships with one another, which isn't really new. The "more detailed battles" and "3D maps" made it seem like a pretty standard strategy game. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to get another version of ROTK that was more RPG oriented than strategy oriented, or -- God forbid -- one that managed to combine the two approaches well.

Watching the TGS gameplay footage gives me the impression that there is at least a minor RPG element. They control Guo Jia as an officer under Cao Cao and appear to accomplish assigned tasks and get random interaction events similar to ROTKVII, VIII & X.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really, really hope it's an officer-based one because we haven't gotten one of those out of Koei in I wanna say a decade now? ROTK X is one of my favorite games and I'd love to have a modern equivalent of that to love and cherish on my PlayStation 4. Please come home, Sangokushi...

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I hope that is the case. The events and quests in Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence are so fragile that you need a guide to make sure you get them. If you do not follow history exactly, events and quests will not pop. Sucks to be deep into a game then find out you cannot see the rest of a scenario's scenes because you took a castle before you were supposed to or, even worse, one of the NPC clans got steamrolled.

Still, it is fun conquering Japan with a minor or custom clan.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Is this the spot to ask questions about Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence? I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the series.

I am playing my first game as Shimazu and have managed to expand my territory to include most of the southern half of Kyushu. However, most of the armies my officers can field are between 500-1000. I am trying to take over a particularly difficult castle with a garrison of 1000. I have an issue where I cannot force my armies to surround the castle because it seems there is only room for three armies to be next to it (I have like 15). Is there a way to either merge armies or force the rest of my military to work together to take over this enemy territory?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
So how do I use the DLC for pirate warriors 3? I saw a couple missions in the dream log but none of the costumes, including pre-order ones, show up anywhere. Also curious how to use Alvida because I want cat burglar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Alvida is a support only character. You can't play as her.